Minty Fresh

It Was You

Wenrene and their petty squabbles

 

***

 

“Rock! Paper! Scissors!”

 

A stretch of silence filled the room save for the sound of their breathing.

 

Seungwan stared at the clenched fist in front of her and it took a couple of seconds before her brain registered what had happened. She glanced down at her own hand where her index and middle finger formed a 'V' making a peace sign.

 

And then the crushing realisation sets in.

 

The blonde fell to the ground pitifully as her knees buckled, completely flabbergasted whilst the owner of said fist gazed down upon her, the corner of their eyes crinkling with amusement that blatantly mocked her despair.

 

Seungwan shook her head with disbelief. “No, no this can’t be happening,” she breathed. It was impossible. There was something wrong, terribly wrong because she was absolutely certain she had been a fraction slower. Saw the sign in that split second before it had been played out.

 

Joohyun smirked and crossed her arm, sneering down –or at least that was how she saw it– with a painfully annoying look of triumph smeared across her face. She crouched down until they were at each other's eye level.

 

“Did you think you, of all people, could have won against me?” She whispered in a low tone, eyes pierced straight into Seungwan's sending chills down her spine. Oh, Joohyun could be so cruel at times. "Seungwan my dear, you are a hundred years too young to think about beating me."

 

Seungwan scoffed and mustered up the most menacing glare as she firmly held the older woman’s cocky gaze.

 

“I demand a rematch,” she declared.

 

Joohyun snorted and stood up, "You can't just demand a rematch because you lost; you knew what you were getting yourself into."

 

The younger woman huffed in exasperation and jerked her head to the side. Joohyun was right. She knew very well what the repercussions were and yet she had still foolishly agreed. It was a foolhardy decision that now left her bearing the consequences of her actions. Although...a part of her was seriously tempted to childishly stomp her feet and sulk to the older woman. Maybe throw in bit of aegyo because Joohyun was a er for that kind of stuff. Especially when it was Seungwan who was doing it.

 

No, I refuse to resort to such measures. I have my pride!

 

Curse her stupidity for thinking she could win against Joohyun.

 

Seungwan dropped her shoulders in resignation and held her hands up in mock surrender. “Fine. You win, I lose.”

 

“Excellent. Now take this," Joohyun said with a pleased smile.

 

Seungwan grimaced when Joohyun handed her the ice-cold plastic tub. She braced herself and reluctantly removed the lid revealing the light green ice-cream with bits of chocolate sticking out of it. Seriously, who the hell enjoys eating something that tastes like mouth wash? She glanced over at Joohyun who had already gleefully tucked into her tub of strawberry sorbet.

 

Mint ice-cream was disgusting.

 

She took a hesitant sniff and held back a gag at the vile smell reminiscent of toothpaste. Maybe she could trick herself into thinking that it was cookies and cream or chocolate fudge or rainbow sherbet or anything but besides this. The blonde sighed.

 

It was a smouldering day in Seoul, smack bang in the heart of summer with temperatures reaching mid-thirties Celsius. The others were still out on their schedules whereas Seungwan had just finished hers and Joohyun having a rare day off for once.

 

They had spent their time quietly resting in Seungwan's chilled room because Joohyun's air conditioner had broken down and the repair man had yet to fix it. But even with the air conditioner running on overtime, there was no escaping the lingering humidity and stickiness that wafted through their dorm.

 

Seungwan had been browsing through the contents of their fridge in hopes of finding something that would satiate her peckish feeling and wouldn't have her sweating buckets in the process, when Joohyun joined her. Her answer came in the form of ice-cream but what they didn't expect, was that there were only two small tubs of ice-cream left, one for each person. But that wasn't the issue per se. The problem? One of them was mint chocolate.

 

She'd have to have a talk with Sooyoung and Yerim about keeping this repulsive substance in their freezer.

 

"Can't I share with you?" Seungwan whined, giving her that puppy eye look hoping that it might have tugged at Joohyun's heart strings and it probably would have. But the strawberry sorbet was so sweet and creamy and smooth and refreshing and completed detracted her attention away from the blonde.

 

"I'm sorry what was that?"

 

"I said, can't I just share some with you?" Seungwan repeated, deadpan.

 

"What if I don't want to?"

 

"Oh, come on, please? You know how much I hate mint ice-cream," Seungwan begged.

 

"You know, it's not good to be picky with your food," Joohyun hummed in between spoonful of ice-cream.

 

Seungwan narrowed her eyes, "This is not the time to be lecturing me about pickiness over food when you yourself can't eat chicken."

 

"Hey, chicken makes me sick, there's a difference," Joohyun retorted indignantly, slightly miffed that the younger woman would resort to such an excuse knowing full well the reason behind her aversion to the thin-legged, clucking abomination.

 

"We played this fair and square," Joohyun reminded.

 

There was a pause.

 

"Fine, you're right."

 

Seungwan placed the tub in her hand down onto the table.

 

"You stay here and enjoy your ice-cream where as I'm going back to my nicely, chilled, air-conditioned room."

 

She stalked off, leaving Joohyun standing alone in the kitchen with the sudden realisation that her own room lacked the very same chilled, air-conditioned atmosphere that was present in Seungwan's.

 

Maybe she should have shared.

 

***

I love mint icecream :D