Blanket

It Was You

A short drabble for wenreneArtTober that I posted on twitter @cultvelvet_

 

 

It's old.

The loose stitches, the tattered edges, the plush softness gradually lost over time with wear and tear. The colours have long faded, no longer vibrant as it once was and instead have turned dulled and muddy. It ought to be thrown out.

She brings it close and inhales. There's a faint scent that's overwhelmed by the mildewy smell from being stored too long in the closet. It's familiar, nostalgic, and triggers a rush of memories to the forefront of her mind that makes her heart beat with trepidation.

Some, she longed to forget, longed to repress and bury deep in the recesses of her mind. Whilst others, she longed to remember, desperately clinging onto the tendrils of memories that faded with time. 

The weight of the blanket in her hand felt reassuring like a forgotten piece of herself, lost now found. Joohyun subconsciously clutches it tighter to her chest and it's then that her eye catches the patch of brown stain on the blanket. And she suddenly recalled a memory many winters ago. A memory forever etched in her heart, something that unfailingly brought the curves of her lips upwards. She grinned, eyes shining with mirth.

 

***

 

It had been in the middle of winter when it happened, a snow storm to be exact. The relentless downpour and the howling winds outside raged through the night and in her feverish, bed ridden state, worry and fear tugged at her heart because Seungwan had yet to return.

Joohyun had lost track of time, slipping in and out of consciousness but vaguely recalled the front door shutting earlier and the lack of noticeable footsteps that softly pattered through the apartment.

"Joohyun?"

She languidly opened her eyes, blinking away the haze and fog that clouded her mind. A streak of light shines into the dark bedroom and Joohyun is grateful that Seungwan doesn't bother with turning on the lights. She attempts to sit up but immediately lays back down, head heavy and spinning from the sudden vertigo.

"Seungwan, where did you go?"

"I went to buy your medication."

She felt the bed dip as Seungwan sat on the edges and flinches at the ice-cold hand gently placed on her forehead.

"You're still burning."

Joohyun watches the crease between Seungwan's eyebrows deepen. She reaches out and with the tips of her finger gently smooths out the lines.

"You'll get wrinkles if you frown." Joohyun smiles.

Seungwan raises an eyebrow. "I'm flattered that you're concerned about the state of my appearances, but I think we're getting distracted from the main problem. Here," there's a distinctive sound of rustling plastic, "take these."

The blonde helps Joohyun prop herself against the headboard. She hands her two pills and a glass of warm water to which Joohyun obediently takes before easing under the covers once more with Seungwan's help.

"Can you come to bed?" Joohyun asks in a small voice.

Seungwan cups her cheek and gently kisses her forehead. "I just need to put some things away first. I'll join you soon."

She leaves and Joohyun closes her eyes once more but it's short lived because a loud thud echoes through the apartment followed by a cry of pain. Her eyes startle open.

"Seungwan?" She tentatively calls and when there's no response, Joohyun wills her body out of bed, concerned by the silence and shuffles to the living room.

The first thing she sees is Seungwan on the floor tangled up in her yellow duck blanket. The younger woman groans as she pushes herself up from the ground where she face-planted, and maybe it was the medication, or maybe it was the delirious state induced by the fever, but Joohyun couldn't help the giggle that escaped her lips. It doesn't take long before the giggles turned into full laughter.

"I'm glad you found some humour at my expense," Seungwan deadpans.

"Are you okay?" Joohyun does her best to stifle the sounds but gasps in horror when Seungwan turns to glare at her. "Seungwan, you're bleeding!"

"I am?"

The younger woman wipes her nose to see the smudge of blood on the back of her hand.

"Oh god, I think I got blood on your blanket when I tripped."

Joohyun tugs Seungwan towards the bathroom to wash off the blood but the younger woman is more concerned by the reddish patch that has now stained the blanket, trying to wipe it off with some water.

"Seungwan, it's fine. I can just wash it later."

"I know, but it's just going to look so bad you know? And I know how much you love this blanket."

Joohyun pulls the blanket out of Seungwan's hands, grabbing her attention.

"Seungwan, it's fine. Really. This blanket means nothing when I have you." Joohyun looks at her with soft eyes. "You can be my blanket," she says as an afterthought.

Seungwan eyes her curiously. "It's the medication isn't it? Usually I'm the one spewing the cheesy nonsense."

Joohyun rolls her eyes. "Let's just go to bed."

 

***

 

She blinks and breaks away from her reverie.

"Joohyun? Are you done? We need to leave s– What are you doing?"

Seungwan stops by the door when she sees Joohyun standing still with an absent look across her face. Her eyes flicker to the item clutched in her hands.

"Oh wow, we still have that? I swear it had been thrown away," Seungwan comments running her hand across the coarse fabric. "Do you want to take it with you?"

Joohyun thinks for a moment and shakes her head with a smile. "I already have a better blanket. I don't think I'll be needing this one anymore." She gives her a knowing look.

Seungwan smirks and pulls her in for a kiss. "I'd have to say that I one hundred percent agree with you. After all, nothing beats a blanket as soft and cute as I am, right?" She wiggles her eyebrows for good measure.

Joohyun laughs. Seungwan was right. Nothing was better than being wrapped in the warm embrace of the one you loved every night.