Cookies and Snowballs

It Was You

#12DaysofWRistmas entry for Cookies and Snowball Fight

Please ignore any grammatical errors. This was quickly written and barely edited lol

 

***

 

"I can't believe you betrayed me."

Irene sulked, eyes downcast as she pitifully stared at the hamper of Christmas cookies clutched in her arms. They had long gone cold, looked about as hard as a rock and quite frankly, just overall unappetizing.

"It's not that your cookies were bad, it's just that...." Wendy trailed off, her mind drawing a blank as to how she could possibly console the older woman over yet another loss in the annual Christmas bake-off. She stole a glance at the red, kimchi infused cookies and inwardly shuddered, recalling the unusual sour and sweet combination accompanied by the bits of soggy kimchi that replaced the conventional chocolate bits.

Whatever compelled her dearest girlfriend to concoct the questionable amalgamation, Wendy could not understand. But for the time being, she figured the least she could do was fulfil her role and be the supporting girlfriend she was.

"Not that bad?" Irene looked at her incredulously, "It's my fifth time losing this damn competition! How can it not be bad?"

A weak chuckle escaped her lips and Wendy remained quiet, opting to rub the older woman's back comfortingly. Irene's tenacious spirit -or more accurately, her desire to win- was admirable. It was what made Irene, well, formidable amongst their circle of friends, because the woman held absolutely no reservations when it came down to those who foolishly stood in her path of victory.

She had no qualms when it came to mercilessly wiping them out and she would do so without as much of a second glance. Snub out any lingering hopes of redemption. And so, it had been baffling when Irene had been left with her jaw hanging –yet again– when Yeri had gleefully smirked in her face with victory.

"I swear to god, Yeri is doing something with those cookies," Irene groaned, somewhat convinced that there was some form of conspiracy behind the former's winning streak. "There's no way her salmon infused cookies were better than mine!"

Wendy had to agree, but surprisingly, Yeri had somehow finessed her way into pulling it off and was eventually crowned the lesser of two evils.

"Maybe next year," the blonde offered.

Irene gave her a deadpan look. "That's what you said last year."

"And I will say it again this year."

The older woman stopped in her tracks and narrowed her eyes. "Son Seungwan, are you trying to pick a fight with me or make me feel better?"

The younger woman raised her hand in mock appeasement as they approached the front gate of their house. "I'm just being realistic," she nonchalantly said, fiddling with the keys to the front door that she hadn't realised Irene was no longer beside her.

The door had just swung opened and Wendy was about to step in when something collided with her back. She turned around in shock, residual bits of soft snow sliding off of her jacket and spotted Irene picking up the hamper that had been momentarily placed on the ground.

"Really?" Wendy raised an eyebrow.

"Really what?" The older woman questioned innocently.

"Is that how you want to play?" Wendy removed her jacket and tossed it through the front door. Gloves were shortly shucked off and sleeves were rolled up.

"I have no idea what you're talking about."

Irene frowned and stopped a couple feet away from Wendy. "What on earth are you doing? It's freezing cold."

"I think you mean it's about to get hot very soon."

The younger woman reached down with her bare hands and scooped a handful of snow, clumping them together until it took on the appearance of a spherical shape.

"If you throw that thing at me..."

"You'll what? Feed me one of your cookies?" Wendy guffawed.

Irene felt her ire raise and without a second thought, she flung the hamper to the side and ran head on towards the laughing woman. A rather stupid move in hindsight because the clumped ball that had been sitting in Wendy's hand was suddenly on its trajectory towards her face. Luckily, the gods must have felt pity for her prior loss because she had been able to sidestep at the very last minute.

"Seungwan!"

"Okay I have to admit that was a close one, but I didn't expect that you would just charge head on," Wendy explained sheepishly.

"Too late for apologies now Son Seungwan. Prepare for your demise," Irene warned and followed suit in discarding the bulky layers that wrapped around her body.

"I'll have you reminded that I am part Canadian and that this cold is child's play to us."

Irene scoffed as a grin stretched out on her lips. "And I'll have you reminded that your opponent is me."