You Are the Reason

Drabble Ramble
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: This is Part two of my angst phase haha. If you haven't yet, please read "Break My Heart Again" although, I guess you don't really have to. ^^; This can be a stand alone but I kind of wrote it as sequel to that one. I haven't been feeling well lately hence the angst fics(even though they're very very mild angst lol) -- I'm trying to get in my happy mood so I can write the wedding properly for Secret Contract. Please bare with me a little more :)

Also, I would like to dedicate this update to rainbow-peach. Thank you for trying to cheer me up ^^ You're the best! :) 

What's broken can't be fixed, but it can be mended

Three months ago...

Donghae stood in front of his apartment door after storming out with strawberry milk on one hand and Hyukjae's favorite snack on the other. He stopped by the convenience store to pick up his lover's favorite snacks as a form of apology. They've had bigger fights before but somehow, this time, something felt different. Donghae couldn't quite point it out but there was something different about the way Hyukjae spoke to him tonight that made him want to run away. After clearing his head and gathering his thoughts together, he realized that walking out on Hyukjae after the other had threaten to break up with him was probably not the smartest move.

So here he was now, heart thumping against his chest, hands starting to sweat out of nervousness, while chewing on the insides of his lower lip, too anxious to open the door of his and Hyukjae's shared apartment for reasons currently unknown to him. A few seconds had gone by and after taking several deep breaths, Donghae shook his nerves away before bravely pressing the code of their apartment door and entering their home. 

"Hyukkie," Donghae called out softly, eyes carefully gazing around the living room then the kitchen trying to search for the other. "Baby? Are you in our room?" 

Donghae's call was met with silence so he walked to his and Hyukjae's shared room with Hyukjae's favorite items at hand, his words of apology at the tip of his tongue as he was all ready to beg Hyukae for forgiveness. He pushed open the door expecting to see Hyukjae sulking at his usual corner but the small smile he had on his lips fell when he saw that it was empty. His eyes trembled a little while his brain tried to process the meaning behind the suffocating silence inside their apartment. 

"Hyuk?" Donghae called out loud once more, dropping the items on the night stand by their bed and walking inside the bathroom, hoping to see the other was in there just ignoring him. Their bathroom had a shower head, a toilet, and a small sink; there was absolutely nowhere for Hyukjae to hide in in there, but Donghae still hoped that maybe he just didn't hear him. When he went inside to look, it was empty. 

There goes my heart beating
Cause you are the reason
I'm losing my sleep
Please come back now

"Hyukjae!" Donghae yelled louder his heart racing with each call that he tried as he ran out of their room and back to the living room then to the kitchen trying his best to find any sign of where the other might have gone. When he finally entered the kitchen, his eyes fell on the small plate of food wrapped in saran wrap, but what caught his eye was not the fact that it was his favorite chicken but the small note that it had underneath it. 

Donghae,

I think we both need a break. I'm gonna stay at Kyuhyun tonight.
The food got cold again...just heat it up in the microwave for two minutes.

I love you -Hyukjae

There goes my mind racing 
And you are the reason
That I'm still breathing 
I'm hopeless now

Two months ago...

Donghae blankly stared at the computer screen before him, his hand over the mouse, completely frozen. Siwon and J-Dub shared an uneasy look with each other before clearing their throats loudly trying to snap Donghae out of the trance he put himself in and back on the task at hand. The other flinched, blinked, then looked at his two colleagues trying to see what their reason was for making all that noise. 

"Donghae, are you okay?" J-Dub asked. 

The latter stared at him, then at Siwon, before looking away back on the screen and muttering a bland, "I'm fine," as an answer. 

Neither one of them believed him but there was nothing they could do or say to refute Donghae's words. 

"Sir?" One of their interns peeked their head in the office but only Siwon and J-Dub turned to see and acknowledged the young man. "Yesung and Ryeowook is here for recording. Where should I put them?"

"Oh. Okay." J-Dub got up from his seat and patted Siwon's shoulder while giving him a look and nudging his head at Donghae who has now made it obvious that he was ignoring them by putting on his noise canceling head phones and squinting his eyes closer to his screen. "I'll take care of them, you take care of him." 

They both shared a small smile, and Siwon watched J-Dub walk out of the room before turning his attention back on Donghae; his smile dropping into a sympathetic frown as he continued to watch Donghae stare into the screen in front of him relentlessly, his eyes turning red and dry as he forced himself to pay attention only to the screen in front of him. It was hard for Siwon not to notice that Donghae's underbags were getting darker by the day or the fact that he hasn't seen the other smile ever since Hyukjae decided to stay with him and Kyuhyun.

He should know.

He'd seen that same look on Hyukjae. 

I'd climb every mountain
and swim every ocean
Just to be with you
and fix what I've broken

"Donghae, no. I can't." Siwon argued back trying to calm Donghae down. 

"That's bull! Yes, you can!" Donghae unintentionally screamed back at the other as his emotions were getting the best of him. "Siwon, just let me see him, please. I can explain everything to him. We-We can work this out. It's just a misunderstanding."

"Donghae, no." Siwon said firmly. "Hyukjae will talk to you when he's ready."

"He can talk to me! He should talk to me!" 

Siwon sighed heavily and placed both hands over Donghae's shoulders, trying to calm him down and keep him from getting too hysterical. 

"Donghae, calm down." Donghae glared at Siwon in response and harshly brushed his hands off of him then walking away. The other released another heavy sigh and dropped his head down in defeat before picking it up again in the next second and turning around to look after Donghae. "I will talk to him, okay? But you can't rush these things. You and Hyukjae, you two are going through something right now and some time apart might do you both some good."

Donghae turned to look at him one more time, his glare harder and more menacing than before. 

"Hyukjae and I are fine," Donghae hissed, refusing to acknowledge a word of what Siwon said. "I just need a chance to talk to him." 

Oh, cause I need you to see
That you are the reason...

One Month Ago...

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter