Break My Heart Again

Drabble Ramble
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Warning: light angst ahead

Doing nothing is sometimes worse than doing the wrong thing...

Hyukjae sat in the middle of the living room, just blankly staring into nothing as he surrounded himself in complete silence. The only light in the room came from behind him in the kitchen where his and Donghae's dinner laid forgotten, already cold and dry from being left out in the open. Hyukjae felt his phone buzzed in his hand and he looked down to see a message from Donghae. 

From: Donghaek
Hey, baby. I'm sorry I'm gonna be home late again today. I have to finish a lot of things at work to meet our deadline. Don't wait up! ^^

A heavy sigh came from Hyukjae's lips after reading Donghae's message. He turned off the screen of his phone and chose not to reply to the other for now as he looked back to his surprised anniversary dinner for Donghae with sad eyes. The disappointed feeling he felt in his chest at his hard work going to waste was nothing compared to the stinging pain it brought his heart that Donghae had forgotten their anniversary this year...again. 

Hey you, I'm just now leaving
Can I come around later on this evening?
Or do you need time?

"What?!" Hyukjae flinched hearing Kyuhyun's scream from the phone. "What do you mean he forgot!? I thought you two had been talking about this for weeks."

"We have." Hyukjae admitted while shifting his position on the bed so that he was laying on his side, just staring into Donghae's side of the bed with a forlorn feeling. "I even asked this morning but I guess things has been busy since he started on that new project. At least he gave me a text instead of forgetting to tell me this time."

"Do you hear yourself? That's not an excuse, Hyuk."

"I know, Kyu, but..." Hyukjae paused and blinked his eyes rapidly trying to stop his tears from falling but it didn't work. He had absolute no control of his emotions at the moment and no matter how hard he kept telling himself that it wasn't Donghae's fault that he couldn't come home, it still hurt him a lot that the other was not with him tonight. Was he really just worth a text?

Hyukjae's silent crying was broken when his stuffed up nose forced him to make a loud sniffle, immediately alarming Kyuhyun on the other line. 

"Hyuk? Are you okay?"

Yes, of course that's fine
Hey you, good morning
I'm sure you're busy now, why else would you ignore me?
Or do you need space?

"Hae, where are you?" Hyukjae asked worriedly as he looked out the window to check if Donghae's car was about to pull up soon but all he saw was darkness and an empty driveway. 

"I have work to do, Hyuk."

"It's past midnight. What kind of work are you doing?"

"I told you. We all have to put in overtime to meet our deadline."

"You've been putting overtime for a month!" Hyukjae screamed as he could no longer hide his frustrations with Donghae's constant "overtime" excuse. "You're a producer, Donghae. No one's going to die if you come home to get some rest like normal people."

"What? Where is this coming from?"

"You and Siwon work together but he goes home to Kyuhyun at a reasonable hour. Stop using work as an excuse to not come home!"

"Excuse me?" Hyukjae could hear the tone of offense in Donghae's voice but he was too upset to acnowledge it. "Lee Hyukjae, I seriously hope you're not accusing me of cheating on you." 

"I'm not accusing you of anything." Hyukjae said but his heart was pounding against his chest. "All I'm saying is, Siwon's at home with Kyuhyun right now while I'm here in our apartment by myself with our dinner cold at the dining table." 

"I don't have time for this right now. I have work to do."

Hyukjae's eyes stung while his chest constricted at Donghae's words. "What?"

"Call me when you're ready to start making sense."

Hyukjae blinked rapidly trying not to cry but when the line got disconnected and Donghae's name no longer appeared on his phone, Hyukjae sniffled then one by one, tears of frustration, sadness, and loneliness fell from his eyes. His entire body felt heavy from the numbing pain of what just happened. He angrily tossed his phone across the room then leaned his shoulders against wall as he let himself freely cry the rest of the night away. 

You can't help it if your mind has changed
So go ahead and break my heartagain
leave me wondering why the hell I ever let you in
Are you the definition of insanity?
Or am I? Oh, it must be nice 
To love someone who lets you break them twice

Hyukjae opened the front door when he heard the doorbell ring and showed Kyuhyun a small smile before inviting him in. The lattered returned it with the same uneasy feeling as he walked in after Hyukjae. His eyes took a quick scan of the messy state of Hyukjae's apartment, with several open boxes haphazardly laid around the room. 

"Do you want some water, Kyu?" 

The latter didn't answer his question and simply walked up towards him and placed a hand on Hyukjae's arm to stop him from reaching out for some random beverage in the fridge. 

"Hyukjae, we need to talk about this."

The other swallowed a small lump down his throat before pursing his lips together, taking a deep breath and closing the refrigerator door. He bravely looked back at Kyuhyun and it took everything in him to not break down then and there when he saw the concerned look on Kyuhyun's face. 

"What-What's there to talk about?" 

"Siwon said Donghae came to work drunk today. What happened?" 

Hyukjae couldn't keep his strong front anymore and sadly gazed down on the floor. His eyes b with tears once again as he recalled the events with Donghae last night. Kyuhyun tried to wait patiently for what Hyukjae had to say but when he heard the familiar sounds of his sniffling, he furrowed his brows together out of confusion and concern and squeezed Hyujae's shoulders to let him know that he was still there with him. 

"Hyukjae, what happened with you and Donghae?"

"Nothing happened, Kyu." Hyukjae said, his voice cracking a little towards the end. "Nothing." 

You're so blue, are you still breathing?
Won't you tell me if you found that deeper meaning
Do you think I've gone blind?
I know it's not the truth when you say, 'I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter