Part 4

Guardian

Dami and Yoohyeon walked in silence hand and hand enjoying the night. Dami thought back to when she was first assigned to watch over Yoohyeon. She never imagined Yoohyeon would break her walls down so easily. Dami wished to stay beside Yoohyeon for all of her assignment. Not only had Yoohyeon found her way through Dami’s cracks she also helped Dami see humans weren’t as greedy as she thought. Through Yoohyeon’s friends, Dami also found herself believing in the mortal world.

 

A squeeze to Dami’s hand caused her to look over at Yoohyeon.

 

“What are you thinking about.” Yoohyeon softly asked.

 

The question took a second to register as Dami had to pull herself away from getting lost in Yoohyeon’s warm eyes.

 

“Just how I had fun tonight.” Dami finally answered with a soft smile.

 

“I did too.” Yoohyeon said just as softly.

 

“I’m glad you did too.” Dami replied.

 

Quieter she continued, “I’m glad you have them, I think you guys will be good friends.”

 

It made Dami feel easier thinking she would be leaving Yoohyeon with friends who she could count on.

 

“I hope so, and I hope we can be good friends too.” Yoohyeon said.

 

Dami simply hummed, she didn’t want to say anything that would deceive Yoohyeon.

 

It seemed Yoohyeon wanted more of a reply because she stopped walking causing Dami to stop also.

 

“I know we only just met but I want you to be in my life for along time.” Yoohyeon then shyly looked down and continued. “Do you feel the same way?”

 

Dami couldn’t lie and say didn’t want the same thing. But she couldn’t promise Yoohyeon a future.

 

Wait a future? What was Dami thinking. She’s not a human her future was infinite. A future with Yoohyeon would amount to a day, no a minute in Dami’s life span. Her assignments always go by fast. She never wanted more time with them.

 

How come she felt different with Yoohyeon.

 

How come she liked the idea of not only spending but cherishing her time with Yoohyeon.

 

With a deep breath Dami placed a finger under Yoohyeon’s chin and gentle guided Yoohyeon to look at her. “As much as it confuses me, I do. I want to stay with you as long as I can.”

 

A blush appeared on Yoohyeon’s cheeks as she spoke. “Then stay with me.”

 

That same funny feeling Dami’s been getting came back stronger than before. She was afraid if she opened the weird sensation would explode out.

 

After Dami felt like the feeling wasn’t going to float her away she finally spoke.

 

“I will” she said softly with determination.

 

The smile blooming on Yoohyeon’s face matched the feeling blooming inside Dami.

 

The night was quiet as the two girls stared at each other. It was peaceful and Dami didn’t want to be any where else.

 

Then Yoohyeon started leaning in. The movement was so slow, Dami thought she was imagining it.

 

The breathe on Dami’s lips told her she wasn’t imaging anything. Yoohyeon was leaning in tentatively. Giving Dami enough time to pull away if she wanted.

 

Dami’s brain was short circuiting.

 

Should she pull away. Yes.

 

Did she want to pull away. No.

 

No? She wasn’t supposed to think that way.

 

She saw Yoohyeon close her eyes as their noses touched.

 

Feeling Yoohyeon so close Dami couldn’t resist. She started closing her eyes and waited.

 

She could barely feel Yoohyeon’s lips ghosting over hers.

 

-Crack-

 

A tree branch cracking and a chill down Dami’s spine made her spin around.

 

In the shadow she could sense two demons waiting to attack. She focused her arua and let it surge around her and Yoohyeon.

 

“Dami?” Yoohyeon’s quiet voice called behind Dami.

 

Dami turned around to see Yoohyeon looking in the dark where the sound came from.

 

“That’s probably just the wind right” Yoohyeon said but she sounded like she was trying to reassure herself.

 

“Ya it’s just the wind.” Dami replied. Calming Yoohyeon was Dami’s priority right now. Her aura should be enough to keep the demons at bay.

 

“Let’s get you home.” She could deal with them once Yoohyeon was safe in her house.

 

Yoohyeon nodded her head as Dami gently grabbed Yoohyeon’s hand and lead them to Yoohyeon’s apartment.

 

The walk was quiet as Dami was trying to get Yoohyeon inside as fast as she could. She made sure to keep her aura up and that the demons stayed at a good distance.

 

In front of Yoohyeon’s apartment Dami waited for the younger girl to go inside. Yoohyeon hesitated and looked like she wanted to say something.

 

She lightly shook her head like she was shaking a thought away.

 

Finally she spoke, “will you be okay going home?”

 

“Yes I live pretty close by.” Dami wanted to leave quickly and deal with the demons but she also wanted to assure Yoohyeon’s worries.

 

For some reason it was important for Dami to ease Yoohyeon’s mind.

 

It seemed Yoohyeon was still uncertain as she bit her lip.

 

“I promise I’ll be okay. I’ll even be here tomorrow morning to walk you to campus.” Dami tried to convince Yoohyeon some more.

 

That seemed to do the trick as Yoohyeon nodded her head and told Dami what time to be there.

 

Dami was happy she was able to calm Yoohyeon down. It made her feel proud of herself.

 

Walking Yoohyeon to school would ease Yoohyeon’s mind and allow Dami to protect her better.

 

Being able to spend more time with her was just a bonus.

 

Yoohyeon turned around to enter her apartment. She stopped and faced Dami again. Before she could ask Yoohyeon what was wrong, Yoohyeon quickly kissed her cheek and whispered goodnight. Then she quickly ran into the house. Dami was surprised she didn’t trip with how fast she ran up the stairs.

 

Dami rolled her eyes and smiled.

 

Her face hardened when she remembered the demons.

 

Big mistake targeting Yoohyeon.

 

Dami thought as she was already picturing banishing the demons who wanted to hurt her Yoohyeon.

 

Wait Yoohyeon, just Yoohyeon.

 

She could sense two dog demons like the one she encountered the first time. Both demons were in the shadows at a park across the street.

 

With purposeful strides Dami made her way over. As she neared the two demons began to growl.

 

With a swipe of her hand Dami sent a heavy wave of energy to hold one demon down.

 

Quickly she wrapped her arm around the other demon in a head lock. She then used her other arm to swing down on the demon’s head. It was gone with a burst of ashes.

 

The demon that was still being held down snarled as Dami grew closer.

 

She brought her knee up to smash the demon’s head when she heard a growl behind her.

 

Dami barely had time to turn when a third demon jumped to bite her arm. Dami hurriedly stomped on the second demon as the third demon rolled to the ground. She dove at the demon as it got back up. She tackled the demon and rolled until she was on top of it. She locked her arms around the demons torso and squeezed with all her might until the demon vaporized.

 

Slightly out of breathe Dami got up. The third demon was a higher level. It was able to conceal it’s self from Dami and use the two other demons as a decoy.

 

This was not good. Dami would have to watch over Yoohyeon more carefully.

 

With a sigh Dami got ready to teleport back to the skies. She would need to have a serious talk with Siyeon.