Part 1

Guardian

The sun was rising indicating another day was starting. Dami was watching from her perch far above the clouds. The light slowly covering the land was a beautiful sight but she lost interest in the human world long ago. She's been a guardian ever since she could remember.

 

As years passed in the human world she witness how humans were killing their planet and becoming selfish. Dami did her job of protecting assigned humans and saw that some lived good lives and tried to be kind to others.

 

She never felt one way or another towards her assigned mortals but over the years she found she had slight resentment towards the human race as a whole. Of course she would never say that out loud because guardians were supposed to be neutral while they watch over and encourage their assigned humans to live honest lives.

 

Dami sighed as she stretched out her shoulders and neck. Today she would be starting a new assignment. She had barely researched the girl she would be watching over. In the past Dami would have been so excited and would have spent a whole week studying her new human.

 

Back then she would have wanted to know everything she could about the person she was protecting. Back then she looked at humans with stars in her eyes. Dami was fascinated how they were created to have choices and could carve their own path. She envied humans. Again she would never say that out loud, guardians were created to be neutral and when humans came along they were meant to watch over and encourage their assigned humans to live honest lives.

 

Dami sat watching the sun rise until it was time for her assigned human to wake up, Yoohyeon. All Dami knew was Yoohyeon was 19 and a university student. There was nothing eye catching in Yoohyeon's file. Which was a good thing, that meant Yoohyeon was a quiet girl who stayed out of trouble. These next decades should go by quickly for Dami. Just a blink for Dami in her immortal life span.

 

A beeping pulled Dami from her thoughts. She focused her attention on Yoohyeon getting ready for her day. Immediately Dami noticed Yoohyeon getting up and tripping on air on her way to the bathroom.

 

Hm, clumy. Dami thought.

 

An hour later Yoohyeon was out the door. Dressed in an over size hoodie that draped her body in a cozy manner and she had on shorts that showed off her long legs. Yoohyeon was tall and lean, which reminded Dami of run way models that were the face of beauty in this society's age. Her hair was a pastel red that she had in a low ponytail. The color complimented her skin well and Dami could admit she was pretty by any ones standards. Not that it made a difference to Dami.

 

Dami's first day of watching Yoohyeon was uneventful. Yoohyeon went to class and actually paid attention, most of the time. Dami was right Yoohyeon was clumsy, the girl managed to trip multiple times throughout the day and at lunch she kept fumbling her chopsticks and spilt her water. Someone with a camera was near by so Dami lazily waved her finger, making the water miss the camera. Surprisingly Yoohyeon asked the camera if it was okay. The owner merely smiled and waver her off.

 

The end of the day approached and Yoohyeon was now walking home. The street lights were on giving off a reddish yellow glow. Dami was watching as Yoohyeon was humming a tune. She found herself lingering on Yoohyeon's face longer than necessary. Something akin to admiring than watching but before Dami could come to that conclusion, she noticed a strange movement in the shadow.

 

Dami went into alert mode ready to act as Yoohyeon's guardian like she was assigned to. She had a strange feeling but she couldn't see anything. Then just as fast as the feeling came it left.

 

Strange, Dami pondered.

 

Dami soon forgot about the feeling and watched as the rest of Yoohyeon’s walk went uneventful.

 

----------------------------------

 

"Hey!" A raspy voice called as Dami felt someone pat her back.

 

She rolled her eyes as she turn around to face her fellow guardian Siyeon.

 

"What's up Siyeon." Dami replied.

 

Siyeon used to Dami's behavior from centuries of knowing her easily replied, "How was you're first day? I got a glimpse of your new mortal. U-Haul? Yoohin? "

 

"Yoohyeon" Dami sighed as she listened to her happy friend.

 

"Ya! Yoohyeon, that's it. She's a cutie." Siyeon grinned as she eagerly stared at Dami.

 

For some reason Dami did not want to admit to Siyeon that Yoohyeon was indeed a "cutie".

 

Ignoring her funny feeling she simply turned around and look down at the world. Not even realizing she immediately looked at Yoohyeon. In her past cases once she knew her fragile human was safe in bed she would look at random night owls or the quiet landscape.

 

Realizing her focus was on Yoohyeon, Dami felt the need to change her train of thought. She couldn't put her finger on it but she didn't want Siyeon to know she was looking at Yoohyeon. Even though it was her job to watch Yoohyeon, Dami felt strangely exposed.

 

"How did you even see her?" Dami tried to say as nonchalant as possible.

 

Siyeon smiled, "I'm assigned to her friend, Sua."

 

Siyeon than stepped behind Dami wrapping one arm around her waist. On her tip toes Siyeon peered over Dami as she seemingly searched for something or someone.

 

"Ah! There see! That's Sua!" Siyeon a little to excitedly said.

 

"Isn't she hot?" Siyeon added on.

 

Siyeon was no stranger to pointing out humans she found interesting or attractive. But this time Dami felt... jealous? That Siyeon could so easily voice her opinion about humans.

 

Dami stopped paying attention to characteristics of specific humans long ago.

 

Dami snapped out of her thoughts when Siyeon let go of her. Choosing to stand by Dami and continued to watch Sua. Dami studied Siyeon face to see a content smile and warm eyes directed at the sleeping girl.

 

Feeling Dami's stare, Siyeon turned to face her. With a smile still on her face, Siyeon proceeds to tell Dami more about Sua.

 

Normally Dami would have humored Siyeon and listened to everything. However, Dami found herself watching Siyeon's facial expressions instead.

 

Siyeon's soft smile turned into a more excited smile. Which made her eyes crinkle slightly but Dami could easily see the genuine happiness in them.

 

Dami could tell Siyeon felt more attached to Sua than her last assigned mortals. It made Dami wonder how a guardian could be so invested in their mortal after having so many assignments.

 

Giggling made the two guardians turn around. Irene and Wendy were walking by, the happy couple holding hands.

 

Wendy was in the middle of what seemed to be an animated story. While Irene was laughing at Wendy's over exaggerated facial expressions.

 

Sensing eyes on them the two love birds turned to Dami and Siyeon.

 

“Hi!” Wendy enthusiastically waved at them.

 

While Irene settled for a smile and nod.

 

“Irene! Wendy! I know you two will appreciate hearing about my y new assignment!” Siyeon happily yelled.

 

The couple were some of the best listeners. Irene was always attentive and Wendy was always willing to give big reactions that made your story feel like it was the best thing she ever heard.

 

With a quick hug and bye Siyeon raced off to the couple.

 

With a smile Dami turned her attention back to Yoohyeon. Dami tried to remember what she caught from Siyeon's rant. Sua was an amazing dancer with a body to die for? She was close to Yoohyeon and went to the same university?

 

Ah well, Dami thought as she turned back to Yoohyeon.

 

-----------------------------------------------

 

The sun rose the next day and Dami found herself ready to watch Yoohyeon. This time Yoohyeon wore a tight white long sleeve that was strapless. Paired with a black skirt with her red hair down and light make up.

 

She looked good Dami admitted to herself.

 

After class Yoohyeon meet up with a short brunette. That's why she must of dressed up Dami thought to herself.

 

The brunette tackled Yoohyeon into a hug. To Dami it looked more like Yoohyeon was fending off the bubbly brunette.

 

Just when Dami was getting concerned for her human, she felt a presence next to her.

 

"Hey panda!" Siyeon greeted her.

 

"What are you doing here, wouldn't you rather be drooling over Sua." Dami countered.

 

Siyeon chuckled, "Oh I am." Not forgetting to throw a wink at Dami.

 

"She's meeting with Yoohyeon, remember I told you yesterday." Siyeon continued.

 

Slightly surprised Dami let out a soft , “must of forgot."

 

Rolling her eyes Siyeon said, "So what do you think? Beautiful right?"

 

Dami shifted her attention to Sua and did agree Sua was pretty. She wore a long white sleeve under a nice black spaghetti strap. Her hair was down in waves and she had on shorts that showed off her strong thighs.

 

That's right, she's a dancer. Dami thought to herself.

 

The girls spent their meet up discussing their lives and Sua told Yoohyeon about the campus gossip. It seemed that Sua was more of a social butterfly than Yoohyeon and had the low down on the campus scene.

 

The two were playful with each other and Dami found herself staring at Yoohyeon as she laughed and smiled. She couldn't help but notice how Yoohyeon's nose crinkle when she smiled and how far Yoohyeon opened when she laughed too hard. Dami found herself thankful Sua was Yoohyeon's friend and made her comfortable enough not to hold back such big reactions.

 

Up above Siyeon was just as immersed in watching Sua as Dami was with Yoohyeon. However, Siyeon could admit she was admiring her human.

 

Turning to Dami, Siyeon spoke. "Did you hear about the rouge demons?"

 

That caught Dami's attention. "What?" Dami asked.

 

"There's been spotting of rouge demons. A few demons escaped from their dimension. Nothing too strong but we're still warned to watch our human extra careful." Siyeon informed.

 

"Thanks for the heads up." Dami replied.

 

Soon the friends split up and Siyeon left just as Sua and Yoohyeon went separate ways.

 

As Yoohyeon walked the same path Dami was now familiar with. The lights were the same dim glow, that illuminated Yoohyeon's path just enough. The same feeling as yesterday made Dami become more alert. This time she was ready to see anything that was around Yoohyeon.

 

As Yoohyeon crossed in front of an alley Dami saw a shadow getting ready to pounce at a humming Yoohyeon.

 

Dami could manipulate simple situations from up above. Like that water she willed to change path or stopping Yoohyeon from crossing a street if a car happen to zoom by. However, with too complicated situations or unworldly factors Dami would have to materialize and physical handle situations.

 

The last time she had to materialize on earth her human was in a car accident and his car had run off the road into a lake. There was no one around and the guy had hit his head. He was too hurt for Dami to wake him so he could get himself out.

 

Guardians are not permitted to reveal their true identity. So Dami was thankful there was no one around to witness her appear from thin air and pull the guy out of his sinking car. An easy task with her super strength.

 

If there were people present Dami would have watched as by standards did the best they could do. If the bystanders were struggling to help out Dami would have looked for a spot she could materialize with no witnesses. She would of then helped out and quickly go back to the hidden spot. Where she would pop back up before too many people saw her. Worse case scenario there was no hidden spot and Dami would be forced to watch her human meet their fate. She would then greet them and take them to the big gate. There they would learn how to watch over their loved ones until hopefully a next life.

 

The shadow figure crouching down to pounce brought Dami back to reality. In a blink of an eye Dami had materialized in the dark alley next to the demon, who Yoohyeon had been lucky enough not to notice.

 

Before the demon had a chance to dodge Dami, it's neck was in her hand. It was a small level demon with the form of a dog and the size of a small bear. Dami was able to crush the demons neck as bursts of shadows shot out until the demon's body exploded into ambers and ashes.

 

Dami didn't even break a sweat as she smirked to herself. For some reason she felt proud she had protected Yoohyeon. Even though she had protected thousands of humans and even saved some from far worse situations.

 

Shaking her hand from ashes Dami prepared to return to the clouds. Just as she closed her eyes she heard a concerned voice.

 

"Hello? Are you okay?" Came a soft voice from behind Dami.

 

Whipping around Dami saw Yoohyeon on the sidewalk looking at her.

 

Dami's breath hitched. It had been a while since she was face to face with a human. She has lived since the beginning of time surrounded by angles, the most beautiful creates to be created. Yet here she was memorized by a human. A human!

 

Up close Yoohyeon had soft eyes and skin that looked like God brushed himself and smoothed to perfection. Dami found herself wanting to brush her thumb across her cheek. Yoohyeon was taller up close. Dami had to slightly look up at her. Yet Yoohyeon was the perfect height for Dami to hug and place her face in the crook of Yoohyeon’s neck. Dami wonder if Yoohyeon was as warm as her eyes looked. She knew she was.

 

"Um, excuse me, are you okay?" Yoohyeon repeated.

 

When she saw Dami was still not responding, she elaborated. "I heard some commotion from here."

 

That caused Dami to wake up from her trance. She rubbed her neck and stuttered. "Uh uh, ya! I'm okay. I-i lost my book and was ju-just looking for it.”

 

Dami silently thanked herself for finishing her sentence.

 

Yoohyeon concerned look changed to a surprised one.

 

"Oh! Let me help you." Yoohyeon went to turn on her phone flashlight looking ready to venture into a dark shady alley to help a stranger look for a book.

 

If Dami wasn't freaking out on the inside she would of been concerned for the girl’s lack of self awareness and blindly helping a stranger in a pretty obvious scary alley straight out of a horror movie.

 

If she was wasn't freaking out and was honest with herself she would of also melted at Yoohyeon's kind heart.

 

Yoohyeon stepping towards Dami, finally brought Dami back to her senses.

 

"No! No- uh, that's okay, I found it!" Dami practically yelled at Yoohyeon.

 

Yoohyeon stopped her movement and tried to make out Dami's figure in the dark alley.

 

"Well, okay. Are you going to come out of there? It's pretty late you should head home." Yoohyeon said still squinting to get a good look at the stranger.

 

Dami took a second to analyze the situation. She could run deeper into the alley and hope Yoohyeon wouldn't chase her where she could safely transport back to the sky. Or she could come out and try to speak as little as possible to Yoohyeon and hope they go their separate ways.

 

Watching Yoohyeon these past days Dami knew if she ran Yoohyeon would be dumb, Dami means kind enough to chase after her and make sure she wasn't in any kind of trouble.

 

With a deep breath and shaky legs Dami stepped out of the alley and into the light.

 

Dami heard Yoohyeon take a sharp breath in and slightly step back as Dami stepped out. Dami figured it was because she walked slightly into Yoohyeon personal space. Surely Yoohyeon wouldn't have any other reason for her reaction.

 

Dami rubbed her neck as Yoohyeon seemed to be in a dazed as she gazed at her. Yoohyeon eyes slowly washed over Dami and then settled back to her face.

 

It's been a really long time since Dami interacted with a human. Things had changed but she was pretty certain their silence was awkward.

 

Dami cleared and tried to ignoring the scratchiness.

 

"So, thank you for the help. Uh ya it is late I should go." Dami tried to turn hoping to get back as soon as possible and forget about the whole situation.

 

"Wait!" Yoohyeon shouted.

 

Dami looked back to see Yoohyeon's face a little red, must be these street lights Dami concluded.

 

"So do you go to university?" Yoohyeon squeaked out as she avoided Dami's gaze.

 

Dami was silent wondering where on earth Yoohyeon got that idea from.

 

Realizing Dami was not understanding Yoohyeon continued. " You said you dropped your book and I figured it was a book for class."

 

Oh. Dami now got the idea.

 

"Um, ya sure." Dami let out.

 

The look of hopefulness on Yoohyeon's face made Dami realize her mistake.

 

"Me too! Maybe we co-could grab a coffee together. You know you look around my age I thought we could get, get to know each other." Yoohyeon rushed out.

 

The lights must be dying out because Yoohyeon looked even redder than before.

 

"Actually, I'm really busy so..." Dami trailed off. She couldn't interact with Yoohyeon that was not how she liked to liked to handle her assignments. She preferred to watch them from afar.

 

Yoohyeon shoulder slumped and her eyes looked less shinny. "Oh, ya of course." She said.

 

Dami was surprised to feel her heart fall a little at the sight of Yoohyeon. She needed to get out of here before she felt even more strange things.

 

With a quick wave and a rushed out bye, Dami walked the opposite way she knew Yoohyeon's house was.

 

If she had looked back she would of saw Yoohyeon looking at her until she turned the corner. Then with a sigh Yoohyeon turned around and walked home.

 

Dami found the nearest hiding spot and teleported back to her perch. To make sure Yoohyeon got back home safe.