Part 3

Guardian

Dami was replaying yesterday’s events in her head. She felt pretty proud of herself for coming up with that phone excuse.

 

However that feeling didn’t last long when she told Yoohyeon she was finished. She had a feeling the girl wouldn’t just leave after that. Seeing Yoohyeon get excited made it impossible for Dami to say no to her.

 

On the way out Dami tried to be as passive as possible. Hopefully that would keep Yoohyeon from wanting to talk longer than necessary.

 

For some reason Dami found herself smiling when Yoohyeon said her name. She heard her name countless of times throughout her existence. But the way Yoohyeon said it, sounded different. It made Dami feel something warm inside. Realizing her smile, Dami quickly wiped it off.

 

Dami never felt one way or another towards her assigned humans and she wasn’t going to start now.

 

One minute the girls were walking and the next Yoohyeon was falling. Dami was quick to catch her. Her job was to protect Yoohyeon after all. When they made eye contact Dami was caught off guard by Yoohyeon’s beauty. She accepted the fact that Yoohyeon was pretty (from an objective stand point of course.) Now looking up close Dami was surprised at just how much she thought Yoohyeon was beautiful. Her brown eyes were warm, her hair was slightly in her face from the fall which added to her beauty. Her jaw line was sharp and her neck was long and Dami wondered how it would feel to ki-.

 

When Dami realized what she was about to think it felt like a punch to the gut. Dami snapped out of her thoughts as she pulled Yoohyeon up. As the two continued walking, Dami made sure to stand a little further away, Yoohyeon didn’t seem to notice.

 

Deciding to forget her train of thoughts earlier. Dami focused on how she caught Yoohyeon. Being so close Dami didn’t even need to wave a finger for Yoohyeon to catch herself. The outcome was the same but Dami could understand why some guardians choose to see their human every so often. Physically protecting her human made Dami feel more proud of herself. It’s been so long since she’s had contact with her human, she forgot that feeling.

 

Maybe Siyeon was right, maybe she could protect Yoohyeon up close.

 

“So I’ll see you around Dami?” Yoohyeon called out to her.

 

With a sigh she looked at Yoohyeon and decided right there. “Ya, I think so.”

 

------------------------------------------------------

 

Once Yoohyeon was secured in her bed that night Dami went to find Siyeon.

 

It was late in the human world but Siyeon wasn’t in the clouds. Dami searched for Siyeon on earth and was surprised to see her with Sua.

 

Actually when she thought about it, she wasn’t really surprised to see her on earth.

 

Dami watched as Siyeon and Sua laughed while walking through the busy night life. Dami focused on the two girls walking really close to each other. Every so often their hands would brush against each other.

 

Until Sua grabbed Siyeon’s hand, both girls kept looking ahead and had blushes blooming on their faces.

 

Soon the girls were at Sua’s apartment, they let go of each other as they stood in front of Sua’s door. Siyeon was pinching her hand while Sua was rubbing her own arm. When Sua noticed Siyeon pinching her hand she smiled and grabbed Siyeon’s hand. Siyeon looked up to find Sua smiling at her and mirrored her expression. Then Sua stood on her tip toes and kissed Siyeon on the cheek. Siyeon was stunned and could only process what happened after Sua had ran inside. Dami had never seen Siyeon so red and… happy.

 

In a blink of an eye Siyeon appeared beside Dami with a smile still on her face. When she noticed Dami, she let out a scream that caused Dami to chuckle.

 

“Wh-what ar-are you doing here?” Siyeon managed to get out.

 

“Well I wanted to talk to you. Now I see you’d rather still be talking to someone else.” Dami teased.

 

Yesterday Dami would have been baffled to see Siyeon interacting with Sua in such a way. However after today Dami thought she could understand Siyeon a little better.

 

Siyeon turned just as red as before. “You- you saw that?”

 

“Ya, you guys look… cute together.” Dami said with a smirk.

 

If Siyeon was red before she was a full fledged tomato now. Than just as quick Siyeon sighed and started pinching her hand.

 

“Do you think I’m disgusting?” Siyeon quietly said.

 

Without missing a beat Dami replied, “no.”

 

That caused Siyeon to whip her head up clearly caught of guard. Seeing Siyeon at a loss of words Dami continued.

 

“In the past I would of. I mean a guardian with feelings towards a human? That’s not what we were created to feel for them. Humans feel so strongly and that makes them unpredictable. Over the years I’ve seen how those feelings can lead to crazy things and greed. But today.. today I remembered how good humans can be too.” Dami finished her spill with a smile on her face as she thought of Yoohyeon.

 

Brave yet dumb Yoohyeon who would venture into a dark alley to help someone. Clumsy Yoohyeon who asked a camera if it was okay. Sweet Yoohyeon who’s smile felt like the sun.

 

Maybe Dami felt the same way about Yoohyeon as Siyeon felt for Sua. That would still take some time for Dami to realize.

 

For now all she knew was, she had never seen Siyeon happier. Maybe a guardian could feel as much as humans could. She herself didn’t, but she had to admit Yoohyeon made her feel warm.

 

“I’m going to stay on earth to protect her.” Siyeon said with a determine look on her face.

 

“Me too.” Dami said again without hesitation.

 

“What?” Siyeon said surprised. She was ready to defend her choice. She didn’t expect Dami to agree so easily nor make the same decision.

 

“Like you said, it would be easier to watch over them up close. These demons are all around, hopefully the other guardians will take care of them fast enough. In the meantime being beside Yoohyeon and Sua should ward off demons and make it easy to banish the ones crazy enough to attack with a guardian present.” Dami concluded.

 

Dami paused then added. “ We’ll watch over them until the demons are banished. Then when we know the girls are safe we can come back up here for the rest of our assignments.”

 

Dami wanted to gauge Siyeon’s reaction.

 

“Oh, ya until the demons are gone.” Siyeon quietly agreed as she avoided Dami’s gaze.

 

------------------------------------------------------------

 

Dami watched as Yoohyeon went to class for the day. She had planned to pop to earth after Yoohyeon was done with her schedule and hopefully they could have dinner.

 

Today Yoohyeon was wearing a crop top that showed off her abs… and is that a tattoo.

 

Hmm. Dami thought as she tried to make out what it was. Liberté. Ah, she must be into self expression.

 

If showing off her lean torso wasn’t enough, Yoohyeon was trying to cause heart attacks. As she wore shorts that revealed her long tone legs, finished off the converses.

 

Dami found herself excited to see Yoohyeon in person. Though she would never admit that out loud.

 

A familiar yell brought Dami’s attention back to Yoohyeon. Sua had Yoohyeon in a tight hug as she was rocking Yoohyeon around quite violently for Sua’s size. Dami smiled as the girls separated. Sua then motion to someone behind her. A shy Siyeon stepped towards them and introduced herself to Yoohyeon.

 

Sua was looking at Siyeon with a soft smile, funny Dami wouldn’t have guessed she could express such a soft smile. As if Sua read Siyeon’s mind, the dancer grabbed Siyeon’s hand right when she made a move to start pinching it. A silent gesture for Siyeon to pinch the smaller girl’s hand instead. The blush on Siyeon’s face was evident as she started pinching Sua’s hand. Yoohyeon smirked at Sua as the later blushed and looked a way. Funny Dami wouldn’t have guessed a simple tease could make the confident Sua shy.

 

Dami watched as the girls joked around and look for a place to eat. Watching the girls have so many laughs together made Dami want to be there. Luckily the girls were near an empty alley where Dami could easily materialize. Before she thought too much, she appeared in the alley and stepped out. She made sure she stepped out in front of the girls as she pretended to not see them.

 

Dami didn’t want to seem to obvious in wanting to talk to the girls, especially Yoohyeon.

 

“Dami!”

 

“Dami?”

 

An excited Yoohyeon and a surprised Siyeon said at the same time.

 

Dami turned around to see a confused Yoohyeon looking at Siyeon. Both girls equally surprised for different reasons.

 

“You know Dami?” Yoohyeon asked Siyeon.

 

“Yes?” Siyeon said unsure of herself. Her and Dami never talked about running into each other on earth. What was their story.

 

“Ya we went to the same high school.” Dami said for Siyeon. As Siyeon glanced at Dami with a thankful look.

 

“So this is the handsome Dami, you told me about Yoohyeon.” Sua said.

 

Dami was thankful she didn’t have to create a bigger story for her and Siyeon. The change of subject however caused Dami to blush madly. Yoohyeon thought she was handsome? That made Dami feel something fuzzy in her stomach. Did she eat something bad. No, guardians don’t eat, at least they don’t need to.

 

Taking a chance to glance at Yoohyeon, the said girl was scarlet as she looked down.

 

“The beautiful Yoohyeon thought I was handsome.”

 

Wait what the heck did I just say! Dami thought to herself. She didn’t even realize the words had left .

 

The red on Yoohyeon’s cheeks traveled down to her neck as Sua and Siyeon both went crazy. The loud commotion caused some by standards to turn their head.

 

“Yoohyeon?”

 

“Sua?”

 

Two voices said after one another.

 

All four girls turned to see three girls walking their way.

 

Dami recognized them as Yoohyeon’s study group.

 

Jiu smiled as she was the one to call out to Yoohyeon. The younger pink hair girl that Dami remembered as Gahyeon jumped as she hugged Sua. Who of course hugged back and the two started having a yelling contest.

 

Before anyone’s ear drums could burst Jiu spoke up. “We were just about to eat. Would you guys want to join us?”

 

All four girls agreed and soon the seven were seated at a restaurant.

 

As the night grew dark the girls never felt brighter. All seven girls were different yet went together. It reminded Dami of a group of 7 flavors that worked together.

 

Jiu had a strong yet caring aura that Dami felt familiar in. She chalked it up to Jiu having a motherly figure vibe. She had vibrant purple hair that made her seem even more ethereal.

 

Handong was a lot quieter who Dami could tell she would get along with well. She was the calmest among the girls and made Dami feel anchored and calm.

 

As Dami had already concluded. Sua was loud and energetic. Her energy was contagious as all the other girls felt their spirits lifted. Dami could tell she was affectionate as she was always grabbing at Yoohyeon and touching Siyeon.

 

Siyeon’s smile never left her face as she joked along with the girls. Dami didn’t miss the way she would blush whenever Sua said something complimenting her. Or when Sua would run her hand some where along Siyeon.

 

Gahyeon was the youngest of the group. The older girls would a lot and she got easily upset. Just as fast as she got upset she would easily become happy with a coo or a pat on the head. Just like Sua, Gahyeon knew the gossip around campus and seemed to be friends with everyone.

 

A laugh and a head on her shoulder made Dami look to her left. There she saw Yoohyeon happily laughing and nuzzling into Dami’s shoulder. She reminded Dami of a puppy. So excited at everything and clingy. Dami couldn’t help the smile on her face as she thought more about Yoohyeon. She was kind and thoughtful. She found herself wanting to stay by the girl for as long as she could.

 

------------------------------------------------

 

The girls had fun together and promised to hang out again soon. Dami, Siyeon, and Jiu were the first to make it outside. As the other girls went to the restroom.

 

Jiu smiled at Dami and Siyeon. “So you guys go to school here?”

 

“Ya majoring in music together.” Dami answered for the both of them. Hoping Jiu wouldn’t ask anything too personal.

 

“Ah, it’s a good school. With great people, right?”

 

Siyeon and Dami both nodded their head.

 

“Yoohyeon and Sua are both great girls. Are you guys…” Jiu raised her eyebrows at them.

 

“No!”

 

“Kinda?”

 

Dami and Siyeon spoke at the same time.

 

Kinda? Dami will definitely have to come back to that when her and Siyeon are safely above the sky.

 

“I see. Either way I can tell that you guys are very fond of both of them. You both seem very.. protective of them. I can tell because I’m the same way with Handong and Gahyeon.” Jiu smiled at them.

 

Normally Dami would have felt exposed to Jiu’s assessment of them. She would of, if Jiu didn’t look at them with an accepting smile. It almost made Dami feel like Jiu knew something she didn’t.

 

Before Dami thought too much into it. She heard loud laughs and felt someone wrap their arms around her shoulders from behind. She felt Yoohyeon’s smile pressed against her hair. She immediately felt herself smile too.

 

As the girls said bye to each other. Dami saw Jiu walk off while watching Gahyeon tell an animated story. The younger girl was clinging to Jiu as Jiu held Handong’s hand.

 

Next she saw Sua tugging Siyeon away. The content smile on Siyeon’s face was an indication she didn’t mind at all.

 

Dami smiled as the thought of all of them getting along made her feel happy. It’s been a long time since she felt like this.

 

The arms on her shoulder loosened as Yoohyeon stepped back a little. She smiled as she felt Yoohyeon’s hands slide down her arms until one slid into Dami’s.

 

She has held hands before with other guardians but this felt different. Yoohyeon’s hand was warm in hers and that funny feeling came back to Dami’s stomach.

 

When she looked at Yoohyeon the wind lightly blew her hair. Paired with the smile on her face Dami’s breath got caught in .

 

How are you not an angel. Dami thought to herself. Yoohyeon really looked too beautiful to be a human.

 

The blush on Yoohyeon’s face and a quiet. “Nothing compared to you.”

 

Made Dami realized she said that out loud. With a red face herself she went to pull her hand away and prepared to apologize. The action made Yoohyeon tighten the hold on her hand. Dami could feel her hand sweating and if Yoohyeon noticed she was kind enough not to say anything.

 

Knowing how kind Yoohyeon was Dami knew she noticed.

 

That made the funny feeling grow.

 

“Do you want to walk home together?” Yoohyeon shyly asked.

 

With a smile, Dami simply tugged Yoohyeon in the direction of her apartment. She was looking ahead to try to hide her smile. If she turned her head she would of saw Yoohyeon with the same smile.