The Tests

Zero
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Guess who’s back with a new chapter ^^

Hope you enjoyed the first chapter and are ready to get into more of it ^^

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Weeks passed, Youngjae had to go through several physical and mental tests like he knew too well.

Usually he was one of those who took the mental test with their clients. But this time he was the one sitting on the other side of the table and be the one examined. 

 

He disliked the fact that his coworkers, who he got to know quite well over the past five years would be the one's testing him. He had a long talk with his boss the day after he had met Mark and his boss had only agreed on his request if he would still work till the end of the month so they would have time to look for a replacement for him.

 

So he sat there in the waiting room, somewhat ready before he would get the result to see if he could proceed with the time travel or not. He had hated that during the past days, everyone he used to work with seemed to have had glimpses into his files. Seen what he has been through and what his goals used to be. It wasn’t that he didn’t trust them but it was much to know that all of his coworkers who wanted to, could look into his file. Into everything their company had found out about him through the tests, but also through social media and even from how he had worked for and with them. Even if he feared the next step that was waiting for him, he was now determined. Going through all the tests, the interviews had just made him more sure that this was the right thing for him to do. That even if he didn’t know what would await him if he accepted the job offer, he wanted to at least try. The one thing he feared was hearing about his results.

 

What if the result would state that he wasn't suitable for the travel? He knew he wasn't the most athletic person and his mental health also hasn't always been at its best but he was OK now. Youngjae couldn't help but be a bit edgy. His fingers kept on playing with his sleeves, pulling it over one hand then rolling it back and all over again.

 

How long has he been waiting now already? A glance on the clock on the wall opposite of him showed it only has been roughly 10 minutes since he was led to this room. He knew when the first possible appointment for the time travel would be as well that the person who would be waiting with his results was between two coworkers he had gotten close with over the past 5 years.

 

As much as Youngjae knew it usually would be around one week later so he still would have time to meet up with Mark after this. During all the tests he had to take in the past few days he realized how exhausting it was. Up till then he couldn't understand the people who told him that when the last test would arrive they were often too tired to give their all. And then in the end weren’t allowed to go through with the time travel because of this.

 

"Choi Youngjae? You may enter room 7 now." sounded from the small speakers right next to the door he first entered the room. Room 7 was one the furthest down the hallway. This was a part of their agency only the clients and the 7 final examines where allowed to enter. While standing up Youngjae could feel how his nerves got ahead of him and how his hands got all sweaty. Trying to calm himself down by taking deep breaths he walked the hallway down. Sadly, it didn’t help much. So he tried to distract himself with observing the hallway.

One thing Youngjae noticed was that each number on the door was written in another font. As if the examines themselves had chosen a font they liked for the room they were inside most of the time.

 

"Get yourself together Choi Youngjae, you aren't here to think over why they all have different fonts, it doesn't matter to you." he softly muttered to himself while walking further down the hallway. When he finally reached the door to room 7, he took one more deep breath. He didn't know exactly who would be his final examine, but he was somewhat glad that it could only be one of the two he knew a bit better. 

 

‘One last breath and then you will know. Don't get your hopes up too high for the case it won't work but still hope for the best result.’ he thought while closing his eyes. When Youngjae finally opened the door to said room an enormous smile greeted him.

 

"Youngjae! Finally, I hope you know that me and Jinyoung have been arguing over who will be the one to give you your result." spoke the tall man who was standing in the middle of the room which looked rather chaotic. Different files and papers were lying on the floor surrounding the male.

 

"Excuse my chaos here but you know how much workload we sometimes have but I couldn't say no to the boss when he asked me to take over your file a few days ago. Poor Jinyoung is still angry with me for not giving it to him." The man kept on talking while Youngjae was still standing in the open doorway.

 

"Thank you Jackson, for taking my file. I hope me applying didn't cause you more workload than you already have." Youngjae finally said while fully entering the room and closing the door behind him. With a big grin and some hand movements the other probably wanted to tell that it was nothing likely.

 

"Me and Jinyoung have been betting on, when you would come to us, ever since we started working here. Did you know that you are the only person who works here, who hasn't travelled in time yet? Like really the only person! Isn’t that insane? Almost everyone else, who works here, travelled to the future to be here, but as much as I got from your file you want to go back in time, five years right?" Jackson settled on the floor surrounded by all his files.

 

Youngjae didn't know if he should join him on the floor or if he should take a seat on one chair.

 

"Take a seat here my friend. I have everything here and it shouldn't take us too long to finish your last test. But I can already tell you, that you don't have to worry at all your results till now look more than fine." Youngjae wondered if the male in front of him always was this talkative with their clients or if it was because they knew each other.

 

"So, now I am all ready for you to have our last test, then to discuss each result with you and in the end fix your appointment with the techs." The techs were the highest workers who were the ones who operated the machines which were located in one of the lowest floors of their agency another part of it Youngjae never has stepped a foot in, up till now.

 

"Youngjae tell me how all the tests and examinations went for you. How you felt and even if I know some bits as to why you want to travel in time and to where you want to go." the dark-haired male spoke now sounding more serious than Youngjae has ever heard him before. He hadn't thought that he would get asked how the past few days had went by for him. He had never had to ask his clients anything likely it just hasn't been in his protocol so it now made sense to him, that a question like that was left up till now.

 

"Well, some more challenging than I had thought but all together it went well I guess. But after each test I felt like sleeping for an entire day. I never thought it would be this exhausting and will never take it lightly again when some clients turn up tired to their appointments with me." Youngjae started speaking while still standing in front of Jackson. After hesitating for a while longer he settled next to Jackson on the floor, he rather was sitting next to him than in front of him. He leaned back onto the chair looking up to the ceiling he didn't want to read his files even if he was slightly curious about them. It hit him then that if everything went well, he wouldn’t have to talk their clients anymore.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

 

Relieved Youngjae closed the door to the room 7 after bidding Jackson goodbye. They didn't talk that much longer but went over all of Youngjaes tests about how he had done and how his final result was. To Youngjaes surprise the male told him he had got one of the highest results Jackson had ever seen since he had started working in their agency. He had said that it might have helped him to know some procedure already beforehand. After changing from sitting on the floor to the chairs Jackson had pulled up a tablet where he was able to see all free appointments available.

 

"You'd already be able to do it today or even tomorrow or wait till next week." Youngjae had asked if he could make a call before his final decision, he really wanted to keep his promise to Mark and have a final dinner in the here and now before he would go back and then have to see how he would be able to get close to Mark again. Something the other understood and made a note so when Youngjae would make a call to the registration they would know about this already.

Once he was alone, he made a short call to Mark and they decided to have their dinner on the same night, so he would be able to get an appointment the next day. Youngjae hadn't thought that it would go this fast that after getting his results he would still have time to prepare himself but like this he had less than 24 hours to inform his parents who he hasn't told up till that moment about his decision. How would they react hearing that he will go back in time and change his future so drastically? To go back to that time and do what his heart tells him was right? He hoped that they would understand him, just like they had done when he had taken a job they knew he only took because of them.

 

Walking out of the agency he picked up his phone once more and called his mother. He knew she would be at home while his father would still be at work. It would be easier just telling her than both, he could almost hear his father already saying he shouldn't throw away the life he was living now so easily.

 

His father had changed ever since their family business had started to depend on his income as well. The father that at first had looked at him concerned for throwing away his dream job, would now probably not understand his choice anymore. He loved both of his parents a lot and in the end it had been his choice but it also hadn’t been easy on him back then. Knowing that their family business was slowly running badder and badder to the point they had to close. To the point where his father had to look for a new job and almost like Youngjae had started doing a job he didn’t really enjoy but helped to pay their rent. His father had turned from the man who supported him from applying to university in the music department to the man he was now. The man who knew that without his son they barely would be able to pay all the bills that seemingly kept growing and growing.

 

Youngjae knew that his parents only meant the best and wished for him to life a comfortable life without having to worry about anything. But that made him end up where he was now.

 

Where he had to decide to go against their thoughts and do what he wanted. The phone rang and rang while he kept on thinking how to tell his mother what he was about to do on the next day. It kept on ringing until he heard his mother informing the caller that she wasn't able to pick up the phone at the moment. With a sigh he decided to leave a message on her voicemail.

 

"Hi Mom, I know this might sound like out of nowhere. But I decided to use my chance in travelling in time. I have my appointment tomorrow already. I know you and Dad probably won't understand why I am doing this now but the past five years I have lived a life that didn’t make me happy. It isn't the life I wish to continue living. I just wanted to tell you that but I also love you and I hope you will understand me. That when I go back and decide differently you and Dad still will support me. I love you and well see you soon."

 

With a deep sigh he pressed the red button to end his message. He wondered that when she heard this message if she would call him or if they would just turn up in front of his small apartment? He could imagine his Dad getting angry at him and demanding to see him. But now it wasn't about what they wanted for him anymore but what he wanted.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter