Wish Tree (Hangul: 세가지 소원

Ab Imo Pectore (From the Bottom of My Heart)
25 December 2018 - One year before Moon Byulyi finally notices Irene Bae.

 

A smell of roasted chicken and buttery mashed potatoes filled out the warm air of Seulgi, Irene, and Yeri's apartment. A snowstorm was blazing outside in Seoul, and yet the inside of the apartment was really warm. The sound of wood crackling in the fireplace makes a harmonious melody combined with the busy kitchen. Seulgi was plating the foods neatly in the large white oval dining table at their apartment. But, Irene was pacing back and forth restlessly.

"Unnie, stop pacing back and forth and help us. If she comes, she comes," Yeri shouted to Irene from the kitchen, irked by her unnie's restlessness. 

"Do you think she'll come, Seul?"

Seulgi, who was busy admiring her golden glazed roasted chicken, answered nonchalantly, she was tired because Irene must've asked 100 times about it already. 

"Honestly, I don't know. You should ask Yongsun unnie. Just call her." 

"B...b..ut.. I've called her like five times already."

"Well then, you definitely should just help us out and stop worrying about it," Yeri answered again, this time she shoved an apron to Irene, who disgruntedly wears it. 

*RRRRINGGGGG* 

"Omo! omo! It could be her" Irene threw out her apron to Yeri's face, who made a shocking expression and playfully tried to hit her unnie. 

"I'll get it," Seulgi walked out from the dining table and chirpily walk to the front door of their apartment. 

Little did Irene knows, Seulgi was walking joyfully because she knows exactly who's at the front door. 

Standing slightly taller than Seulgi with crystal clear eyes and long red hair was Park Sooyoung a.k.a Joy, Seulgi's recent crush, and her best friend's roommate. 

"Hi, Joy!" Seulgi smiled widely before being shoved out by Wendy, who scoffed at her.

"Waeee, what is wrong with you Seungwan-ya!"

"You look like an idiot, that's what."

"I agree!!! Hello, unnieeeee!" Yeri jumped into the conversation, extremely happy seeing her Seulgi unnie being bullied. 

Joy smiled widely at Seulgi before pulling her into a hug, which leaves Seulgi week in the knees.

"Are you having a fever or something? Your face is a bit red."

"She's extremely sick of a mad idiot disease," Wendy chimed in while throwing an air high five to Yeri.

"Ah aniyo, I'm not sick. The room must've been to warm; that's why my face is red." 

"Oh good, don't want you to be sick," Joy kept smiling at Seulgi warmly and locked her arm while joining the others in the dining room. 

"Do you guys only invite both of us? I bought too many Soju then," asked Wendy. 

"Of course no, unlike you, we have friends," Seulgi answered Wendy sarcastically. 

Wendi sticks out her tongue to Seulgi, and they both bickered like a kid. 

"Oh my god, what a kid. Sometimes I forgot that I'm the youngest," muttered Yeri.

After settling down at the dining table and stop their bickering, Seulgi answered Wendy's question.

"We invite Yongsun unnie, you know her, right? Joohyun's unnie childhood friend in Seoul before unnie moved to Daegu. She supposed to come with someone who's been making Joohyun unnie squirming like a sick worm." 

"Where's Joohyun unnie anyway?"

Just as Joohyun stepped out of her room with her best look, the front door rings again, and she rushingly runs to open it, only to be disappointed. 

"Annyeong Joohyun-ah, sorry, I really tried to get her to come, you know. Seulgi too. But..." it was only Kim Yongsun, with her utmost apologetic face. Irene tried to maintain her composure by greeting Yongsun's warmly and muttered, it's okay. However, her voices came out really weak. Irene wasn't okay, she has been waiting for this day to come, but alas, fate was really not on her side. 

Seulgi saw what happened and tried to save the situation by cheerfully greeting Yongsun and inviting everyone to the dining table. 

"Let's try my roasted chicken! This is the best I've made so far!" 

Irene still struggled to mask her disappointment. She toughened her heart and told herself to get it together by saying to herself that at least she gets to spend Christmas time with her loved one. 

The night went by quickly because the six of them had so much fun. Yongsun becomes the new target of teasing by the evil maknae Joy and Yeri. They were a bit too entertained by Yongsun's foolish behavior. During game time, they tried to devise a plan to get Seulgi and Yongsun on the same team. Needless to say, it was a disaster, and both Yongsun and Seulgi ended up being punished by having to wash the dishes. 

"This is so not fair! I cooked, and I cleaned them!" 

Irene laughed at Seulgi and offered to replace her. She felt terrible because she was too busy thinking about her 'Wish Tree' guest that she neglected and Yeri and Seulgi, who were cooking from the afternoon. 

Irene took a position at the sink beside Yongsun, who already rolled her sleeves and ready to wash the dishes. 

"It's Wheein, isn't it?"

Yongsun paused, a little too long, and Irene immediately knew she is right. 

"I'm sorry, Joohyun. I really am." 

Irene softly nuzzles her head to Yongsun, "Don't be silly. It's not your fault. I mean, she's only my crush. I can't be upset because she chooses to spend her Christmas with her girlfriend." 

"Umm...Wheein is not her girlfriend, though."

"Yeah, whatever. But she likes her a lot, I mean, how long has it been since she likes her? Seven years?"

"Yeah, 2013. But, I'm not saying this because you're my best friend. Wheein is my friend too, but I don't think what she does is okay. She can't come running whenever she needs her and yet rejecting to be in an exclusive relationship for seven years in a row. You, on the other hand, I know you'll treat Byulyi right."

Irene just smiled sadly, thinking how if she were in Wheein's position, she would've treated the kind Byulyi the way she deserves to be treated. 


The storm continued to bury Seoul in a thick layer of soft snow, the night was getting colder, and so did Irene's heart. The apartment was finally dead quiet, everyone went to bed, and there Irene sat - in front of a gleaming Christmas tree fully decorated with stars. She replayed the practiced conversation she had in her head if she were to meet Byulyi. 

"I read your book about writing. It was terrific. You're a natural."

"I often see you in the orphanage. You still have time to teach drawing and writing while working full time? That's amazing."

Irene sighed, looking absentmindedly at the window, wishing her last wish of the year.

'I hope wherever you are, your heart is filled with warmth. Because if it is, then my heart is warm, too'.