Starry Night

Ab Imo Pectore (From the Bottom of My Heart)

 

"They slipped briskly into an intimacy from which they never recovered."

― F. Scott Fitzgerald, This Side of Paradise

It's that time of the year where Flanéur agency would throw their year-end party. It's that time of the year where Moon Byulyi would sneak out of the noisy dancing floor to take a break at the company's rooftop. She was longing for some quiet time away from everyone after prolonged hours of exposure to social interaction. Byulyi doesn't hate people, but if she can choose, she will always choose solitude. 

But, it seems that her plan has been impeded by this stern woman standing in front of her. Spewing fluent sarcasm. 

"Well...no, it is, of course, a public area. I was just confused. Usually, people don't know about this area except me and maybe Taeyeon unnie. Oh, sorry, I was rude, I'm... 

Byulyi's introduction was cut short by the other woman's somewhat raspy voice.

"The famous Moon Byulyi, the head of the creative team in Flanéur. Of course, I know who you are."

Byulyi grins bashfully; she's embarrassed because, honestly, she doesn't know who the other woman is. But this woman must've been an employee as well if she has access to the rooftop. 

"Ah, I'm not famous. You're exaggerating it. Anyway, and you are? I'm sorry if we met before, I'm rather bad with name and a bit forgetful as well."

"It's okay, I'm Irene. I'm an account executive. We actually met, but then again, I'm not that important compared to you." the other woman smiles to Byul, and Byul feels like the ground underneath her is shattered to pieces. Irene is stunning, and despite coming off really strong and cold, she looks different when she smiles. This time, Irene isn't sarcastic, and it seems she lets her guard down a little. 

"Come on, don't say that. Everyone in here is important; it's not a one-man show company. If then, I should've just let Taeyeon unnie runs it by herself," Byul chuckles lightly. 

"You don't mind if I keep you company, right?" Byul asks Irene with a mixture of soft and a hint of pleading tone. She really needs this escapade, but she's somehow afraid of this Irene woman. 

"Are you flirting with me?" Irene raises her eyebrows, the corner of her lips twitches into a smirk. 

Byul is lost for words and stuttered to come with an answer, and then she hears Irene laughs. 

"Ah, what a good night. I make the famous Moon Byulyi flustered. I'm kidding. Of course, I don't mind, it's a public area, right?" 

Byul just nods, her cheek must've blushed wildly. People might know her as the charismatic and charming Moon Byulyi. Still, her closest friend like Seulgi and Solar knows she's just a shy hamster, and never particularly good with a woman – especially one as beautiful as Irene. 

Byul finally gathered herself and ask Irene, "You don't come here often, do you? I'm here almost all the time, but I never see you." 

"I do, actually. But I kinda know when you'll be up here, so I come either after or before you."

"Are you avoiding me??? How do you know my schedule??" 

"Seulgi told me."

"Wait!! You know Seulgi????"

"And Solar. You really don't pay attention, do you?"

Byul scratches her hair, dumbfounded and flustered, again. How come this gorgeous woman knows Seulgi and Solar, but she can't recall her at all? Does Seulgi or Solar ever introduced her to Byulyi but as usual, she just forgets about it? 

"Ah, it's not that. I really can't recall them introducing me to you." 

"Well, does Seulgi talks about her roommate Bae Joohyun? or does Solar ever talk about her childhood BFF?"

Byul widened into an o and make a big reaction before clapping and exclaimed, "OH MY GOD! You're the Joohyun unnie that Seulgi always talks about."

"Please don't call me unnie." 

"Is that okay, though?"

"Absolutely. You don't call Solar unnie either, don't you?"

"Right.., I don't. Wait...I come to your apartment often. Where were you? Are you really avoiding me?"

Irene chuckles heartily, seeing Byulyi's 'fake' sad reaction. 

"And what if I do?" she teases Byulyi further. 

"Well... I guess... why? Do you not like me?"

"Do you want me to like you?" Irene was trying hard to keep her cool even though she has been bursting with tears of joy inside upon seeing Byul's reaction.

"Ah, I mean, as a friend," Byul can't believe her fate now. She never meets anyone like Irene. The constant teasing, combined with Irene's godly visual, makes her heart beat faster. Still, at the same time, she can't believe the famous copywriter and ghostwriter like her is lost at words with just mere teasing.

"Only as a friend?" Irene now really can't contain her laughter. She taps Byul's shoulder lightly as she enjoying her winning laugh. 

Byul's heart skipped a beat. What a character, she thought in her head as she tries to laugh along with Irene to hide her embarrassment. 

"I'm kidding. It's so nice to see someone like you being flustered. Anyway, I gotta go. It was nice to finally meet you!" 

And with that, Irene cooly leaves the rooftop. Before Byul even managed to say goodbye. 

In between the breeze of Seoul's winter, just when the year is about to end, a new beginning comes alight, Byul was left with a warm heart, a throbbing curiosity, and a weird sense of intimacy.