Being Left Behind

Someone I loved before

Chorong felt empty. Every time she took a breath, it only caused her to suffocate more. All she had left was the memories Eunji and her shared with each other in the small amount of time. The music they listened to with each other. And the small doodle Eunji drew for her before she passed.

 

A couple hours after Eunji stopped responding, Chorong saw again those three dots appear next to her name. The hopes in Choong’s eye gleamed once again. Was this all a prank, she asked herself. Thank god, she said aloud.

 

The message appeared.

 

“Hey are you Chorong?” Choong’s heart shattered. She covered her face to stop the overwhelming emotions that are soon to overcome her.

 

“Hello.” Chorong replied.

 

“I’m Eunji’s brother… she passed at 10:30 PM September 19th…”


“She told me to tell you to stay healthy and continue with your stories. That is all.”

This isn’t happening. This isn’t happening. Not again. Please, no. Chorong kept repeating to herself.

 

“I’m sorry to make this request, but I think she posted some pictures of herself in your guy’s community chat? I’d like them deleted.” Eunji’s brother asked.

“Of course, it’ll be done.” Chorong said.

 

“Okay thank you.” He said.

 

“She also left a sticky note… ‘her + Chorong” along with a small sketch of two stick figures, sitting on a bench looking at the sun.”

“With this, I’ll be deleting her profile, I wish you the very best in your endeavors.”

 

Chorong let out a scream, the pain within it was as if it’s audible. She knew more than anyone else what that sticky note meant to her, what it meant for them. It was one of the things they both put on the never-ending list to do together if they met.

 

The night has passed. But Chorong is still awake. The constant notifications from her other members from the community checking up on her continue to annoy her.

 

“CHORONG??? Eunji…”

“Hey… Are you okay?”

“Hey Chorong I just saw your notice; I hope things are okayyy”


She ignored it. More or so, she couldn’t bring herself to respond to them.


Chorong waiting for the good morning message from Eunji that would never come. All she could remember were the last words she said to her. Those who pass on will always try to reassure that life will move on without them. And that the people they leave behind will be okay.

 

“It’s not okay. Who said you can leave me all alone. I never wanted to live before I met you… You gave me the reason that the next day was something to look forward to.” Chorong reading her message history with Eunji.

 

“She’s late… Where is she…” Chorong cried. The missing void within Chorong’s heart was something that couldn’t be described.

 

“Isn’t this when you tell me that I should be getting proper sleep… Scolding me to drink enough water for the day, I promise I’ll sip on it this time, no chugging!” Chorong talking to her screen.

 

“Please… Please come back. I miss you so much, I don’t know what to do without you. I’m so lost…”

 

“Let’s listen to that playlist again… Just like you wanted to…”

 

All Chorong could do is remember Eunji crying in her final moments. How she worked really long hours to save up for a house, to have a bright future, and to raise her own family.

 

“How am I supposed to continue living, knowing that your dreams were cut off short.”

“I can’t even go to sleep without having a dream where I’d see those three dots appear next to your name. Then I’d go check to see that only your final words were the only thing is there, nothing else.”

 

Chorong picked up her phone one more time.

 

A text message was sent.

 

Her friend Namjoo got a notification.

 

“Please tell Bomi, I’m sorry. That I can’t move out together with her next year.” – Chorong

 

Chorong took her car keys and left the house.

 

Leaving her phone behind.

 

20200922_182502.jpg?width=952&height=536