Chapter 1

Someone I loved before

 

The first time they met, those three dots hung in the air, an awkward gap between two strangers. “Hey, sorry if they caused you any trouble.” Chorong said. Eunji signaled to her that it was alright and she paid no mind. They exchanged a few words – their names, where they worked, Now, Eunji decided to be the one to break the silence. So, what do you like to do for fun, she asked, her voice trailing off with nervousness.

 

Eunji rolled her eyes at something Chorong mentioned. “That’s so lame…”, she said, trying to suppress a laugh behind her screen. Chorong told another joke, probably worse than the first, and they both laughed together.

 

They both listened to each other’s playlist and continued to share more about themselves. Korea, Japan, Singapore… They counted off the places they planned to visit. Maybe somewhere with a nice countryside, Chorong suggested. A yacht trip in the Bahamas, Eunji countered. They both added to the ever-increasing list of things they would do, in their hopeful future together. It didn’t matter that the pandemic was going on, or have any money. Eunji and Chorong had faith they’d check off every item on that list, some day.

 

They planned each night to watch a series together or a movie. But they both knew it was an excuse to spend time with each other every day. “Monday to Thursday… We’ll watch this” Eunji suggested. Chorong going along with anything she said, regardless if she liked what they were watching or not. All she cared is that she gets to talk to Eunji all night long.

 

Up until now, every day felt unbearable to Chorong. But now, she started to look forward to the next day. Something that felt so foreign to her. Is she allowed to feel happy, she asked herself.

 

With a slight hesitation, Eunji spoke up that she had something to say. “I’m going to be busy starting next month.” She said with nervousness.

 

Chorong was confused. “What do you mean? Like is something going on at work, a project?” She asked.

 

“Something like that…” Eunji forcing herself with a smile.

 

“Eeep… Gotta enjoy the times now, while I still can hehe” Chorong smiled.

“Yeah… That’s why I’m letting you know more things about me earlier on.”

 

Time flowed different for the both of them. What felt like 4 hours of listening to music, felt like years to them. Getting to know so much about each other, enjoying each other’s company.

 

Time has passed. A couple months. They both still have so much to talk about to each other, every night would end up in the AMs for the both of them. Chorong believed that there’s still so much more to talk about with each other, and she was right. But somehow that night didn’t settle right for Chorong. Eunji became very pushy that she wanted to watch a movie tonight, but Chorong insisted she was busy.

 

Late that night, Chorong checked her messages. She saw three dots hanging again in the air. Uneasiness ingulfed her body as she awaits the message. It was about midnight for her, but 3 hours later for Eunji.

 

“Looks like I can’t sleep” Eunji said. “Why not?” Chorong asked. Eunji was beating around the bush for the next couple minutes. Chorong once again asking what’s wrong. Eunji started a call. All Chorong could hear was her crying. She had no idea what was going on and she felt scared. Scared of what’s coming her way.

 

“I don’t know how much time I have left…” Eunji said.

“WAIT. WHAT DO YOU MEAN??? ARE YOU???” Chorong blurted without even thinking.

 

“I mean what I said, I kept it a secret for all this time. I really wished I had more time to get to know you. It seems like I won’t be able to finish up the leftover projects.” Eunji said.

 

“WAIT EUNJI… YOU CAN’T DO THIS… THIS ISN’T FUNNY.” Chorong got emotional.

 

“I have leukemia…” Eunji said. Chorong’s crying could be heard throughout her house.

 

“I’m not ready for this… I’m not ready to lose another person.” Chorong said incoherently.

 

“Luckily we never met. That way you don’t get hurt that deeply.” Eunji said.

 

“I’m still hurt. It doesn’t matter to me if we met in person or not.” Chorong said.

 

Eunji started crying. She mentioned that was the kindest thing she’s ever heard in all her life. Chorong’s heart shattered. As if she felt Eunji’s pain. She only wanted to be there for her and after hearing what she said was the kindest thing Eunji has heard was absolutely shattering to her.

 

“I really wanted us to hang out in the future… After this whole thing was over…” Chorong said.

 

“I knew that, I sensed that intention from the first week we met. You made it very apparent.” Eunji retorted.

 

Eunji continued to reassure Chorong that everything will be okay, even when she’s gone. “You have to stay strong and continue to tell stories, hopefully some with more merrier endings.” Chorong broke down.

 

“You’re a wonderful person Chorong, I mean it.” Eunji said. Chorong cursing the gods or whatever higher being that exists.

 

“I really wished that one day we went on a café date. You working on your art, and I was working on a story of the century… And sometimes… Maybe all the time, get distracted and look your way. But that small dream doesn’t look like it’ll happen.” Chorong went on.

 

“You can!” Eunji exclaimed, trying her best to hold back. “With someone special, I’m sure they’ll love it.” Eunji said.

 

“IT WOULDN’T BE THE SAME! IT HAS TO BE YOU.” Chorong screamed at the top her lungs.

 

“You don’t want a girl with so much misery by your side to affect your mood…” Eunji said. Chorong didn’t care about that. She only cared about the person in front of her right here, right now.

 

“I really wished I could have met you.” Eunji said. Chorong’s mind going blank, she didn’t know what to say. She knew that no matter what she said, the outcome wouldn’t have changed.

 

“I’m really sorry to cause you more pain.” Eunji said. “You don’t need to apologize for that… Dummy…” Chorong said.

“I tried. I tried really hard to not get personal with you.” Eunji said. Chorong knew that no matter what pain she felt, it wasn’t anything like what Eunji is feeling or have felt.

 

“Your future girlfriend would be lucky to find someone like you, I know it” Eunji said with much sadness. Chorong couldn’t help but breakdown. She could only think that life was unfair, and that no matter what happiness brings her way, it’ll just only get taken away. Regardless of that, Chorong knew what she must do now.

 

“Can I ask of you a very selfish promise?” Chorong asked, Eunji wondering what it was about.

 

“I don’t want to have any regrets, so I want to continue being there for you, until the end.” Chorong said with conviction.

 

“I’d love that.” Eunji hung up. They both went to bed.

 

The next day has come.

 

“Good morning 😊” Eunji sent.

“Good morning 😊” Chorong sent back.

 

“I’m in so much pain. I don’t know if I can handle it.” Eunji said.

“Eunji
☹☹☹… Where are you right now?” Chorong asked. Eunji only sent an emoji of a bed. But, Chorong got the idea. She didn’t want to believe it, but she braced herself for what comes next.

 

“Because I’m not there with you, I’m really scared. I don’t know when I’ll lose you and I’m just so heartbroken right now so I want to at least say everything and know that you at least got it.” Chorong sent.

 

“It has only been two months since we’ve known each other and everyday was amazing up until now. I’ve said it so many times, and I’ll say it again. That night where we sat down and just talked and talked for hours, it was one of the best nights I’ve ever had. Honestly… I don’t even think I’ve had such a memorable experience getting to know anyone all in one go like that. One of the things that really stood out to me was that you’re practically the only person to not only combat my opinions but persuade me to think about things differently.”

 

“Listening to each other’s playlist and just talking to each other, like time just froze for us, I still think about it frequently… AND HERE I AM REPEATING MYSELF SO MUCH because that’s how much it really meant to me. I’ll never forget that day or the small time we spent together. I was going through one of the worst times of my life and still am. But you gave me a reason to look forward to the next day. Whether it was something small like music night or watch a show together. It really makes me sad that I’m not sure the last time we did that is the last time…”

“I’m going to miss you Eunji, I really am.” Chorong put down her phone. The moment she made her resolve to walk away, she heard a ring, a notification that someone was typing back to her.

 

Again… Those three dots hung in the air. This time it wasn’t between two strangers. It was much more, it felt like two people who loved each other saying their last goodbyes.

 

Eunji’s last message appeared.

 

Chorong cried. And it didn’t stop at all. She didn’t want to read the message aloud, she wanted to keep Eunji’s last words for herself only. Because it’s the last thing she’ll ever say, and that alone is special to her.

 

“Goodbye Eunji, I’ll miss you.”