Summers With You

Summers With You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

“This is embarrassing! You don't have to tag along with me to my cabin, Mom!”

 

She turned to see a brunette sporting a grey beret over a lovely, pink summer dress, pulling her also pink luggage, reluctantly to one of the cabins on the left. Seulgi smiled at the mini tantrum the girl was showcasing to her mom who was very good at ignoring every word it seems.

 

“Really? Look at those parents going with their kids.”

 

“Exactly….they’re kids. I’m not.”

 

It wasn’t uncommon for her - Counsellor Seulgi - to witness these sort of banters amongst their new campers in Ansan Summer Camp. It happened every year and she had dealt with a variety of kids for years now so it wasn’t a new sight.

 

Seulgi planted her hands firmly on her hips as she stood in the middle of the path on Hikers Peak - their camping point. It’s a little bit of a hike which she often arguably retaliates with another fellow counsellor and some of her campers that it was good for cardio.

 

There were six rows of cabins as a whole on the peak and not far, near the edge was a bulky canvas with an open flap where she and another Counsellor stayed. She was assigned to Team Yellow where three rows of cabin, consisting of four campers each, sat on her right while Team Pink was on the left.

 

After settling a mini banter on who should get the bed closest to the door in Cabin 3, Seulgi told the girls to make their beds and get change to their provided yellow tee and switch to appropriate shoes before meeting her outside in an hour.

 

She heard someone mumbling about yellow being an eye-sore colour and another girl, Wendy, a familiar face and camp-goer since the past few years refuted, telling how bright colours like yellow are easy to detect if they went missing. And Seulgi thought, yeah we got ourselves a Camp Leader here.

 

-

 

-

 

They had their first ice breaking session that day on the main lodge. The campers had to introduce their names by rhyming it with another word to make it easier and memorable for everyone to remember. The counsellors had to set up an example and all of them chose her to go first.

 

“My pronouns are she, surname starts with a Kang, not a Lee and you can call me Counsellor Seulgi.”

 

Seulgi had to come up with different rhymes every year because some are frequent yearly campers so she couldn’t be lazy and repeat the same line every time. She was glad she received much applause from the campers but then there was a clearing of a throat and the counsellor in pink stepped up. Everyone’s attention quickly switched to the petite woman.

 

“I’m sorry to intervene, I know it’s obscene but just to let you know, I’m Irene~”

 

The cheers for this one was evidently louder than before, whistles and all. Seulgi knew if the male campers from across the lake were here, the camp base would’ve sounded like some rock concert.

 

Well, Counsellor Irene was reasonably very pretty. She had been famous since she and Seulgi herself were campers many years back then. Her popularity till now, never ceased.

 

-

 

-

 

“Oh no!”

 

Seulgi rolled over the now, charred sausages that she was responsible to grill for dinner over the campfire. She was distracted a little when Counsellor Hyojung came over to her pit and ran over the schedule they would do for tomorrow’s team building activity. The burning smell of the sausages brought her attention back and what a sight.

 

“It’s been years and you’re still incapable to not burn your food.”

 

Seulgi recognised the person slandering her all too well. She picked up her burnt sausages and put them on the platter before grilling new ones. “Are you done with your duty for you to be here?”

 

“Obviously.” The girl’s voice came closer and the sweet smell of lavender wafted in her nose, along with a whiff of toasted marshmallows. “Look at mines.”

 

Irene - or Counsellor Irene, in her bright pink shirt crouched beside her and showed off her nicely toasted marshmallows. Seulgi had to admit she was really tempted to steal one and popped it in , but Irene wouldn’t be happy about it.

 

“That looks tempting…” Seulgi pulled her gaze from the marshmallows, her eyes momentarily flickered at the girl in twin braids, lips curved in a gloating smile when their gaze met.

 

“Eyes on the sausages, Seulgi.”

 

“Right.”

 

-

 

-

 

The first three days went by in a blink of an eye. Seulgi had to admit, this year, her batch of campers were one of the most obedient she ever had but on the other hand another Team’s campers were one of the most competitive people she ever witnessed. Befitting with that Team’s Counsellor, she thought to herself.

 

Most of the campers were buzzing with excitement for the canoe competition. Because one, male campers from across the lake will join the event as well and two, the team that wins the competition will be able to collaborate with the boys for their talent show during the final day. And three, there’s never a shortage of boy-crazy campers.

 

Seulgi overheard one of the campers from Team Purple doing the maths over lunch one day.

 

“....if we kick-butts for the canoe, we get the chance to meet and practice with the boys. I mean, come on now - we don't have to use our binoculars to spy on those boys from across the lake this time - if we win of course.”

 

The girls in purple huddled together, giggling at the thought and Seulgi was reminded of her own experience back then. Her team had won before but she wasn’t all too thrilled for the meeting. And when they met for practice, it was more fraternising, and less rehearsing which always frustrated her at times.

 

But not all times were similar, some were diligent and still had the fighting spirit when teaming up with the boys. They managed to make a good show in the end.

 

In the present, Seulgi gazed upon her own bunch of yellow chicks. They were discussing in a big circle amongst the twelve of them, deciding which four should be the competitors.

 

“Wendy, you definitely should go for it!” Byul suggested, “You’ve been in the camp for two years, you’ve got the experience.”

 

There were murmurs of agreement at this but Wendy was looking a teeny bit reluctant. “I don’t know guys. I’ve been in the camp for two years but I’ve never got chosen to participate in the canoe competition....”

 

Jisoo, propped both her knees up, hugging them. “To be honest, I’m not even that excited for the chance to collaborate with the boys. They’re annoying.”

 

“We girls can out-do our talent show with or without them, honestly.” Chaeyoung chirped.

 

“Agree.”

 

“But I hate to see us lose to the pinks.”

 

At the mention of the pinks, all of them turn their heads at a secluded corner of the huge lodge they are in. There, sat a group of pinks, laughing with their Counsellor over what, Seulgi doesn’t know but they look like they’re having a jolly discussion alright.

 

“That tall giant Joy gets on my nerves so bad.” Byul spoke, “She kept taunting you, Wendy. Calling you a smollie or whatever and basically showing off to us when their team wins something.”

 

“I bet she’s going to compete.” Wendy timidly eyed the group from afar.

 

“Duh, she’s the leader of Team Pink.” Jisoo rolled her eyes, “And which is why you need to go. You must get her back with this one.”

 

“Hey, how about we tip over their canoe halfway?” Chaeyoung plotted, earning mischief chuckles from the group.

 

Seulgi who observed and listened to the discussion intercepted, “Now, now. It’s a cooperative competition, not competitive. Remember that.”

 

Seulgi hoped the Counsellor from Team Pink remembers that as well because she recalled quite a few shenanigans that Irene had pulled off when they were campers back then.

 

Sometimes - Seulgi thinks - Irene even imparted those shenanigans ideas to her campers. Her competitiveness might not know boundaries at times. Even though Irene had gradually become less aggressive over the years, but when she has merciless campers under her wing, you can almost see the competitiveness gleam in her eyes.

 

Seulgi shivered at the thought. Competitive Irene can be scary. Seulgi still remembered how Irene’s team had tipped off her canoe boat many years ago. It wasn’t a fun incident. Although Irene’s team got disqualified because of it, the humiliation of walking out of the lake soaked head to toe with a crowd watching wasn’t the best experience for her back then.

 

Their camp had a whole mid noon till evening to practice canoeing on the lake since the boys took the morning - noon schedule. They managed to watch over break time to observe some canoeing tips before it was their turn later on.

 

As usual, the counsellors had to demonstrate the correct way to canoe. Seulgi had to admit, she wasn’t the best canoe-er but based on experience and common knowledge, she gave away some tips to the campers as a whole.

 

“....most importantly, you need to make sure you’re in sync with your partner. The front paddlers must set the pace while the back needs to match the tempo.” Seulgi explained.

 

Counsellor Hyojung then passed her the paddle for Seulgi to demonstrate. “See this shaft? You have to try and make sure it’s vertical before you paddle it in the water.”

 

“It’s actually easier said than done,” Irene interjected, “People tend to get distracted and quickly paddle without a thought. But if you’re set and disciplined enough, then try to paddle vertically, same goes with the blade here.”

 

“Any benefits for that?” Arin from Team Purple asked.

 

“Well, it’ll your canoe forward with more force.” Seulgi answered.

 

Excitement buzzed among the groups at the thought of it. The Counsellors exchanged glances with one another, satisfied at the response the campers were giving.

 

After all the tips and safety measures explanation was done, Hyojung asked the campers if there were any questions and Yeri, the girl in Team Pink whose mom accompanied her to the cabin on the first day, raised her hand.

“This question is for Counsellor Seulgi.”

 

“Oh, okay.” Seulgi turned her attention to the girl. There was a certain giggling coming from that group right now. “What is it?”

 

“Is it true that your canoe tipped off countless times before because you panicked and was scared of the lake?”

 

Sudden laughter broke out from the team, other campers cackling on it as well. Seulgi hoped she wouldn't look as red as a tomato because she could feel the warmth in her cheeks at the question.

 

“Haha, yes my canoe did tipped before - once.” Seulgi emphasised, glancing at Irene who had a smug smile pasted on her face. “And no, not because I was panicked, or scared of the lake.”

 

“Then why?”

 

“Well, you see --”

 

“Now will you look at the time,” Irene spoke loudly, looking at her watch. “I think it’s better for the team to start practicing now. We have to utilise the time we have as much as possible.”

 

The campers and other counsellors hummed in agreement before the latter led the team and canoers involved to the location.

 

An hour later, Seulgi stood near the rows of pine trees encircling the man- made lake. Her team canoers aren’t doing that bad after all. They had a wobbly start but she saw that they got their pace in the end. They just need some consistency and better rhythm.

 

“Wow, your team is doing better than I expected.”

 

Seulgi rolled her eyes, folding her arms as the owner of the voice came and stood beside her. “Really? You had to tell your campers about the ancient canoe incident?”

 

“I see no harm in that.” Irene shrugged, a teasing smile on her lips, “I mean, someone’s experience can be turned into a lesson you know.”

 

“But what about that falling into the lake multiple times? It was just once.” Seulgi denied. She wasn’t mad by the way. Irene has a habit to ever since they were campers and habits die hard. Plus, Seulgi got used to it, no matter how embarrassing the teasing was sometimes.

 

“You know how kids tend to exaggerate the story...” Irene suddenly held her stomach, cackling, “They thought….they thought you were scared of some legendary loch ness monster in the lake!”

 

“What?!”

 

“It wasn’t me. I didn’t say that to them.” Irene shook her head, raising her palms in denial.

 

“Your team sure has some funny ideas, huh. Wonder where they get that from sometimes….”

 

They stood in silence for a bit, cheering their team once in a while or yelling for the right tips. Seulgi saw her yellow chicks and Irene’s pink campers canoe were neck to neck beside each other - and they were even squabbling at one point.

 

“Hey, don't you think our team this year reminds us of our first year summer camp?” Irene stared at the lake, nostalgic dance in her eyes.

 

“Uh-huh. The meanest team and the nicest team.”

 

“You mean the most competitive team and the lo--”

 

“Don’t use that L word on me please.”

 

“Okay, the less competitive team.”

 

“No, it’s the most cooperative team. Our team even won that title that year, don’t you remember?”

 

Seulgi recalled the last day of her first summer camp in her mind. Their team won medals and certificates for being the most cooperative and harmonious bunch.

 

“Of course I remember. I’m not the forgetful one between us.” Irene pointedly eyed her, “And plus, would be silly to forget our first summer camp years wouldn’t it?”

 

They shared a warm, knowing smile before there was a loud whistle from the canoe rescuers staff, distracting them from each other as their attention was cast on the lake where both Team Yellow and Team Pink’s canoe tipped over. Instead of trying to heave back to their respective canoe, they were splashing water at each other instead. Both she and Irene laughed at the sight.

 

-

 

-

 

The tension and excitement was fairly thick on the morning of the competition. All of them had oatmeals for breakfast and some campers seemed to gobble it all down from the bowl so fast just to be the first to catch the arrival of the boys to their base.

 

Seulgi saw Minho, another Ansan Summer Camp alumni turned part-time Counsellor, greeted the staffs (a little too bright and smiley when he spoke to Counsellor Irene).

 

They made their way in groups to the lake and Seulgi managed to overheard the rampant gossips once more amongst the campers.

 

“Did you know that Counsellor Irene and Counsellor Minho used to date?”

 

“OMG really?”

 

“Yeah, didn’t you see the pictures on the Hall of Fame Museum of the past campers? They were even the best campers for two years in a row!”

 

“Literally goals.” Arin from Team Purple gushed.

 

Seulgi only scoffed in her head. Every year this gossip would pass around somehow, only because of framed pictures and also, well - Minho does treat every counsellors here kindly. Maybe slightly more on Irene since there was a time dude used to crush on her at one point. Most campers did.

 

“Hey Seulgi,” Minho bid, as he helped her carry the canoe at the other end to the edge of the lake. “How’s camp for you this year?”

 

“It’s been good.”

 

“Yeah? I saw your team and Irene’s were having a field in the lake yesterday.” Minho chuckled. “Even my boys were having fun watching it.”

 

“Well, it happens sometimes.”

 

“It sure does.”

 

They carefully placed the canoes side by side with all the other ones before instructions were given out once again. They went through the rules, safety awareness, and such before the canoer staffs involved announced over the mic that the participants could paddle to the starting line now.

 

The girls go first this time after the boys did so last year. Her team yellow were a bundle of nerves by the time Seulgi went over to inspect their safety helmet and jacket.

 

“Counsellor Seulgi...I think we’re gonna lose.” Wendy who sat at the front most of the canoe looked up at her with a small pout.

 

“Hey, that’s not the spirit you should start off with.”

 

“Did you see how Team Pink pushed their paddle at us during practice the other day?” Jisoo cast a murderous glare at the group, “It’s over for us if they did the same thing today.”

 

“Well,” Seulgi adjusted Jisoo’s helmet which was a little too big for the girl’s head, “If they did the same thing, they’re going to be disqualified. And you guys could still compete. So just do your best, count the tempo--”

 

“And that’s my job.” Byul chimed.

 

“Yes, and make sure to paddle to the opposite side of the boat. You guys got the routine and strategy run down, right?”

 

“Yeah…” They all mumbled altogether.

 

“Aside from the competition and all, I want you girls to enjoy this okay? It’s no fun if you only think about the finishing line and the pri

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter