The Future is Bright

White Out

The apartment was filled with delicious smells as the marinated meat cooked in the hot pan in front of you. Gone were the stacked boxes against the wall, everything put away in its place. Somewhere in your bedroom there was even a drawer dedicated to men’s clothes and an extra toothbrush in the bathroom.

Kyungsoo leaned against the counter, his fingers twitching visibly beside you. It was taking all his will to not take the spoon from you and finish everything instead.

“You promised,” you reminded him. This was the first time in weeks you’d been allowed to cook dinner. Kyungsoo preferred to prepare meals for you, not liking you to lift a finger even though he was the one who’d been stabbed with an antler just a month ago.

Unlike you, he had no scar or any sign of the injury left on his stomach. He constantly reminded you that he was fine, all back to normal, as you tried to take care of him and wait on him like a good mate. It was useless, he wouldn’t sit still unless you were right there with him, wrapped up in his arms. But it was okay, because you were happy.

Life had gone into a strange new normal for you. There was no looming threat anymore and you’d settled into a rhythm. Work was made easier when Kyungsoo came to visit and pick you up. The two of you switched back and forth on who would spend the night at whose place, you staying at the farm house more often than not. To your surprise, you’d even become close friends with the other mates in your time spent out in the woods.

Your only regret was keeping it all a secret from Mina. Phone calls with her had dwindled down to about twice a month, brief conversations lasting less than an hour. Every time she asked if you had anything new to tell, you opened your mouth to tell her, but the words never came out. You couldn’t figure out why; she was your best friend. You didn’t even have to tell her the more unbelievable parts of your life, just the part where you found someone - the best someone - to live your life with. But you couldn’t do it.

Maybe it was because if you let someone in on that part of your life, they would need to be in that part completely and you couldn’t do that with Mina. Even with her hundreds of miles away, you couldn’t risk Kyungsoo’s secret getting out and you couldn’t pull Mina into this dangerous world. Just because things were quiet now didn’t mean they wouldn’t get bad again down the line.

No, it was better to keep the werewolf thing need-to-know.

“You’re thinking hard again,” Kyungsoo murmured as he come up behind you, sliding his arms around your waist and resting his chin on your shoulder.

“It’s nothing,” you lied as you kept your focus on stirring the curry in front of you.

Kyungsoo let out a low growl, picking up on your fib. Sighing, you put down the wooden spoon and turned around to face him. You couldn’t bring yourself to look up at him, so you stayed focused on the collar of his plaid button down, rubbing the fabric between your thumb and index finger.

“It’s just,” you pursed your lips, “I’m still not good at losing people.”

Kyungsoo’s eyes widened. He cupped your face, searching for something with his eyes. “I’m not going anywhere, (y/n).”

You let out a short laugh. “I’m not talking about you, Soo. I just think Mina and I are drifting apart, that’s all.”

He let out a sigh of relief, then quickly contorted his face into one of sympathy. “Oh. I’m sorry. I’m sure that isn’t easy.”

Shrugging, you smiled up at him. “It’s okay. People… grow in different directions sometimes. And I can’t tell her everything, so it’s only natural.”

Without warning, Kyungsoo lifted you and moved you over to a clear space on the counter, He wasted no time, meeting your lips and tangling one hand in your hair while the other rested on your thigh, squeezing it appreciatively.

The kiss was heavy and exciting, much different than the slow, careful ones he usually gave you. Your arms were wrapped around his neck, pulling him in closer to you until there was no space left. Getting braver, his hand roamed down under your thigh, hooking your leg over his hip. The sudden move made you squeak, making Kyungsoo laugh against your lips.

All too soon, you needed air and broke the kiss.

“What was that for?” you gasped as you tried to regulate your breathing.

Kyungsoo gave you his signature heart shaped smile along with a shrug. “I just… love you. So much.”

You narrowed your eyes. “That wasn’t your typical ‘I love you’ kiss.”

Realizing you weren’t just going to drop it, he relented. “It’s just nice to see you… healing. The you in front of me right now is very different from the you I met a few months ago. You’ve come along way.”

“Thanks to you,” you muttered, straightening his poor collar that had been ruffled up in the heated moment.

It really was all because of him that you’d grown into the person you were now. With encouragement and constant reminders of your worth, you were able to put your pieces back together. Now, you could let people in without breaking down in fear of them leaving you. People left. You didn’t have control over that. But you knew that it would be okay because Kyungsoo would always be there and that was all you really needed.

Gently pushing Kyungsoo away, you slid off the counter. “I don’t want dinner to burn.”

He let you go, turning to your cabinets to get down a two sets of plates and cups. You turned off the stove top and started scooping the food onto the plates in Kyungsoo’s hands before he took them over to the table while you filled up the glasses with water.

After dinner, the two of you curled up on the couch, finally finishing that Hitchcock movie.

Or, at least, that was the plan.

While your attention was on the screen, Kyungsoo’s was wholly on you. It started with his fingers playing with your hair. A few minutes in, his hands moved to caressing your sides and thighs before his lips found their way to your neck. You tried to stay focused on the film, but it was becoming increasingly difficult with your wolf unable to sit still. His teeth scraped against your exposed skin, sending a shiver down your spine.

Then he bit down a little harder, making you yelp.

Kyungsoo pulled away, his cheeks turning pink. “Sorry.”

Furrowing your eyebrows, you turned to face him fully, the movie now completely forgotten. “Why do you do that so much?”

Clearing his throat, Kyungsoo scratched the back of his head. “It’s just instinct.”

You snorted. “To bite me?”

A strange look came across your mates face. Before you open your mouth to ask about it, he pounced.

You were pinned underneath him on the couch, his body resting heavily on you with his hands encasing your wrists.

“You remember asking me about the little scars all the other girls seem have?” his voice came out low and seductive.

Gulping, you nodded. You’d asked him multiple times and he always either changed to the subject or promised to tell you later. Apparently, later had come.

“It’s their mark.”

You frowned. “Mark?”

“Mhm.” Lowering down, Kyungsoo nuzzled his nose into the crook of your neck. “I’ve told you wolves are possesive. We need to make sure everyone knows that our mate is ours and ours alone. So we mark them.”

It didn’t take much brain power to put the pieces together. “By biting them?”

You felt Kyungsoo nod against you. He pushed himself up, kissing your nose. “It’s been hard, not having you marked, but I didn’t want to scare you away.” Securing his hands on your waist, he lifted you as he sat up, adjusting you so you were now straddling his lap. He kissed you deeply, taking away every molecule of air that was in your lungs. “But I don’t know how much longer I can take it. Especially with you around the others so much now. It goes against all my instincts to let you be unmarked around so many unmated wolves, whether they’re my brothers or not.”

How he could ever think that something that would tie you to him forever would scare you away?

Taking his face in your hands, you smile at him. Running your thumb over his lips, you whisper, “I’m yours. Why not show the world?”

Elated by your words, Kyungsoo picked you up unexpectedly, making you squeeze your legs around his torso. He carried you out of the living room, not bothering to turn off the TV before making his way to your bedroom. Kicking the door shut behind him, he put you down on your back on top of the bed, knocking the air out of you.

Where you thought Kyungsoo would turn on his more animalistic instincts, instead his kisses were soft and careful. Your fingers pulled at the hem of his shirt and he quickly removed the fabric. His skin was warm against you and soon you were lost in his touches.

**

“Stop poking at it,” Hae In told you for the millionth time.

You were in Kyungsoo’s room staring at the red half moon mark that stood out against your skin in the mirror. Hae In and Jiyoung were sitting on the bed while Kyungsoo was downstairs preparing dinner.

“I can’t help it,” you whined, letting go of the collar of your shirt and turning around to face the other two mates. “It itches.”

Jiyoung frowned. “That’s what the cream is for.”

Blowing air between your lips, you sat down on the bed with a bounce. “I just wish it would heal already.”

“It’s been two days,” Hae In laughed. “We’re not werewolves, you know. We can’t heal in seconds.”

“Which would really come in handy,” you grumbled. How many times had you accidentally cut yourself while slicing vegetables or fruit in the kitchen? Kyungsoo chastised you every time it happened, but only for a minute or so before patching you up.

“Do you feel any different?” Jiyoung asked you, tilting her head to the side.

You shrugged. “I guess. I feel… more? I don’t know. I just feel right.”

“It’s an indescribable feeling, being marked,” Hae In agreed.

“Was it that way for you, Jiyoung?” you turned your secretly favorite mate. The two of you were a lot alike, with the same sort of shyness.

Jiyoung shifted back and forth. “Mine wasn’t very conventional. It took a few days, but yeah, I felt closer to Jongdae afterwards.”

Before you could ask for more details on the “unconventional way” she was marked, a knock came from the door.

Baekhyun stuck his head inside. “Is it safe to interrupt girl time? Kyungsoo says dinner is ready.”

The three of you jumped up off the bed and practically ran out of the room. You were starving. Poor Hae In was caught in Baekhyun’s arms and was left behind while you and Jiyoung made your way down the stairs.

Just as you entered the kitchen first, someone jumped on you, encasing you in their strong arms.

“Gotch ya!”

You let out a yelp. Jongdae had you squished against his chest.

“Um, Jongdae?” Jiyoung snickered from a few feet away. “Wrong mate.”

Jongdae let go of you immediately, realizing his mistake. “Oops. Sorry, (y/n).”

Kyungsoo growled before pulling you into his embrace instead. “Next time, Jongdae, pay attention to who you’re trying to scare.”

The other wolf just laughed right as Baekhyun came in with Hae In.

“I thought this was supposed to be a quiet night in?” Baekhyun complained.

“I thought so, too.” Chanyeol grumbled as he and Kris came walking into the kitchen from the living room.

“No one’s forcing you to stay in, Yeol,” Jongdae pointed out.

Kris clamped a hand on Chanyeol’s shoulder. “That’s exactly why we’re leaving. A tall boys’ night out on the town.”

Jongdae began to whine at Kris’ comment, but the two giants ignored him as they headed out the back where Kris tended to park his car.

“I wish everyone would just hurry up and find their mates so we can stop having to tiptoe around them,” Baekhyun huffed.

“It doesn’t work that way,” Kyungsoo reminded him. Releasing you from his arms and taking hold of your hand, he pulled you over to the table and had you sit down in front a plate already made for you. “Eat up.”

The others gathered around the table, the wolves making the plates for their mates. Everyone around you chattered on and you sat there, completely content.

After being alone for so long, moving from place to place and never imagining you could ever settle down, you had found a place where you could spend the rest of your life. The future you never allowed yourself to picture before was in your grasp. And you were completely happy.