Chapter II

360° I N-CITY #4
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

And you need to know
You're the only one, alright alright
And you need to know
That you keep me up all night, all night

Oh, my heart hurts so good
I love you, babe, so bad, so bad

- ILYSB, LANY

I glared at Jaehyun who had an angelic smile on his face, Hendery finally standing down and giving him a thumbs up. Jaehyun patted him on the back and there was nothing but friendliness between the two, Hendery turning to sit in a seat a row down. Jaehyun slid into the seat beside me, placing his books on the table before turning to look at me. His eyes swept through my features and fell on my lips, the male leaning forward suddenly, making me freeze.

A finger dragged down my cheek as a smile plastered on his face, Jaehyun removing a strand of hair stuck to my face. He didn’t say anything but it made a few girls whisper. I groaned in frustration.

So much for not wanting any attention.

I know I was a returning student and people always thought that those that came back from overseas were typically snobbish. It was a misconception that I have always heard of in the rumors that spread throughout SMU.

The professor arrived and Jaehyun leaned back.

I hated how relaxed he was while I found it hard to function with him beside me. I would have thought that the previous fight would be enough to give me space but I forgot he was Jaehyun.

Behind that mask of kindness is a man of determination and tenacity.

I focused in class and breathed a sigh of relief that it was a topic that I already studied back in New York. The class ended and I waited for everyone to stand up when the professor called my name, his gaze on the attendance list. Jaehyun didn’t look surprised, gathering his things and for a moment, I shared a look with Jaehyun who leaned forward to whisper something to me.

“He’ll be giving you harder topics. I think he knows that he’s teaching the subjects that you already studied,” he told me, following me from behind.

I my lips nervously, stepping down to head towards the professor when I felt someone push past me, a male being chased by his friend. He was laughing and his friend was jumping over the seats, trying to get to him. I recognized the one running away as Hendery and I staggered, almost losing my balance when Jaehyun caught me from behind.

His hands grabbed my shoulders to prevent me from losing my balance.

“Oi. Control yourself,” Jaehyun said and I couldn’t see his expression, but with one look, Hendery faltered. He apologized and I shook Jaehyun off, deciding to talk to him later. Jaehyun cleared his throat behind me and when I reached the point where the professor was standing, it was just like Jaehyun said.

“I have compiled a bunch of topics based on your past subjects that I think would be good if you wrote a report on,” the professor said gruffly. He was a middle-aged man with thick-rimmed glasses and he didn’t seem like he liked newcomers very much. “It’s to see if your precision in evaluating each conceptual frame in New York is to par with SMU. International Business Research is…”

And he droned on while I focused on the books in front of me. There were at least five textbooks, each a different volume. He had been kind enough to mark where the pages were for the special topics, the professor asking me if I understood what I had to do.

I nodded absentmindedly, a hand going to grab the textbooks when Jaehyun beat me to it. Of course, the one and only prince. I thanked the professor, watching Jaehyun stack the textbooks up on top of each other, and as mad as I was at him, I couldn’t fight a smile.

“Really? I guess we’re going down the, trying to kiss your lane,” I told him and Jaehyun winced under the weight of the books. “Did our last fight not prove a point?”

“Fight?” Jaehyun frowned at me. “That was hardly a fight. That was us talking about why we broke up,” he told me letting out a huff of breath and I watched him balance the books. I took off my backpack to place it on the books.

“Woah, Woah. Wait. Don’t you see I’m struggling?” he asked and I looked at him, amused.

“Why? Is it heavy?” I asked and Jaehyun shook his head, gritting his teeth. “Kim Doyoung never complains.”

“I bet if you make Kim Doyoung do this, he’ll find a way to murder you,” Jaehyun replied. “Let’s go. You don’t have any classes for today anymore.”

“How do you know?” I asked, frowning at him.

“Your schedule is exactly like mine,” he answered and my jaw dropped open, Jaehyun sticking his tongue out at me. I had to stop walking to stop myself from smacking him as hard as I could. I had forgotten about Jaehyun’s playful side, the side that I often saw only with those who were close to him.

To many, Jaehyun was always the perfect one.

He had always faced the pressure to be perfect and I always wondered why he had to live up to that.

But Jaehyun was flawed and he was clumsy, more often than not. He was too competitive and he had a temper. There were times where he didn’t make sense and those close to him would just have to humor him and hope that he’d realize that because he was stubborn.

He was an all-or-nothing kind of person and knowing that just made me hurt even more when we broke up because that meant that he had pushed my importance to nothing. I sighed, thinking of the old times just as Jaehyun began to lead me to the parking lot.

“Why are we here? I take the public transport.”

“With these books?” Jaehyun asked and I crossed my arms across my chest. “Look, fine. Just get the keys in my pocket and I can just drop off the books at your place. Take the bus if you want to.”

“Then you’d have to come over to my place!” I told him, Jaehyun telling me to hurry up. I sighed, stepping closer to feel his pants, a hand sliding down his pocket as I struggled to find the keys. I groaned, turning away with Jaehyun’s face right next to mine. I felt his nose brush against my cheek. 

I searched his pocket but there was nothing in it, Jaehyun telling me to try the other side. I frowned at him and he extended one leg out so it would be easier for me. I went closer to him, shoving my hand down his left pocket. I could feel a few paper bills and while my face moved along with my fingers. I found myself placing my face against his shoulder as I tried to use my senses to make out what was in his black hole of a pocket.

I looked up to see Jaehyun smiling as he looked down on me when we heard a voice.

“Oh, Hyung!” Jisung said and I turned to my little brother holding up a key. “Hyung, you gave me the key this morning!”

“What?!” I quickly stood up, stepping away from Jaehyun who looked like he was trying not to laugh. He blinked innocently at me.

“I must have… forgot. Thanks for trying to help me find it though,” he said and I glared at him, Jisung starting the car. “Alright, time to put these books down.”

Jaehyun heaved the books onto the back seat and I saw Jisung settle at the back with his backpack. Jaehyun knew what he was doing all along. There wasn’t a single innocent bone in his body. He closed the door and opened the car door for me, telling me to get in.

“No,” I told him stubbornly, Jaehyun tapping his feet on the ground. He had a hand on the car frame and he told me that he could wait, no problem. “Jaehyun, this is not funny—”

“No, it’s not. Your brother is in the car, waiting. Time is of the essence, New York.”

I slid my eyes over to Jisung who was on his phone, oblivious of what was going on between me and Jaehyun. I finally caved, lowering my head to sit in the front seat as a look of triumph settled all over Jaehyun’s features. He finally moved to the driver’s seat, starting the car as Jisung began to tell me about his day.

“But the photography club is going to have a camp this Saturday, Noona,” he told me, patting my shoulder from behind. “You want to come?”

I shook my head. I wasn’t very blessed with the arts, but I asked if there would be any professors around. The idea of my brother going to camp, even as an adult made me worry. Jisung was a baby- my baby.

“No, but Jaemin Hyung will be around,” Jisung replied. “And Chenle will be coming with u

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter