Mint Chocolate Chip - Act I

The Other Side
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“If you leave right now - if you choose time give up on this relationship so easily.. That’s it.” the frail girl spoke in between sobs. 

 

Kim Taeyeon watches silently. It was the first time in years when her small heart ache this badly. Isn’t the heart supposed to be strong? Stronger to handle depressing situations like this?

 

“If you walk away now, I will never see you again. There will be no going back.”

 

Taeyeon has to close her eyes. She couldn’t bear to continue watching for another second. 

 

She feels her chest tightening. The weight of it all overbearing. It’s was almost difficult breathe.

 

And so she ran. 

 

Taeyeon shot right up from the huge sofa, giving the little grey puppy a shock of his life. 

 

“Sorry zero-yah!” the girl shouted before sprinting out of the room, into the living room, and out into the balcony. 

 

She needed air. Fresh air.

 

The room was suffocating. 

 

Deep breaths in, deep breaths out. 

 

Taeyeon tried composing herself with heavy and noisy breathings before collapsing into the huge swing chair that she had placed in the outdoor space. 

 

Friday nights are reserved for binge-worthy dramas. And that scene from moments ago, it hits close to home. 

 

Taeyeon laughs amusingly and how she reacted. Settling back, she wonders why she’s still that affected after all these years. 

 

Noticing how Zero had now joined her in the balcony and was pretty much staring at herself worriedly, Taeyeon let out an awkward cough. 

 

“Yah, stop staring.” 

 

Barks. 

 

“If you stare at me like this it’s only going to look pathetic and sad.”

 

Barks. 

 

The dog seemed to understand and waddles towards the other side and lay down comfortably. Staring pass the glass railings surrounding the open space and into the horizon that is the Han river. 

 

Taeyeon finds herself staring at the never ending river ahead of her and wonders. 

 

So why did it still mattered? Why did she still feel affected?

 

“If you choose to let me go, I will never see you again.”

 

The words were cold, harsh, bitter. Taeyeon has hope it was a joke but hearing it loud and clear, she knew it wasn’t a joke. 

 

That was the ultimatum given by Jessica. 

 

“I will be out of your sight. I will find someone else. I will marry someone else.”

 

Now that’s just cruel. But Taeyeon hadn’t waiver and on that night, she let the woman of her life go. 

 

And for years, while Jessica wasn’t really out of sight - because after all she was a public figure - Taeyeon never saw Jessica again. Not up close. Not in their favourite spots.

 

True to her words, Jessica found some rich dude. Sure the man was not just rich but filthy rich. Taeyeon heard he was smart too, basically saved Jessica when the girl was at her most vulnerable and lifted her up. 

 

Just thinking about it leaves a sour taste in Taeyeon’s mouth, and for a moment Taeyeon thought this was it. 

 

That it was time to give up. 

 

However, over the years, a certain marriage never happened. And Taeyeon began to hope again, that this was all just an act. That just maybe, she still stands a chance to redeem herself on the worst mistake she had ever made. 

 

So why did it hurt now? 

 

Maybe because it reminded Taeyeon of her regrettable decision to not hold onto Jessica. 

 

Or maybe it’s because of what happened a few days ago...

 

A vacant unit beside her apartment was just bought and with the new owner moving in, Taeyeon felt obligated to offer a helping hand or at the very least drop by for the sake of formalities. 

 

Taeyeon found the door ajar and noticed how the apartment inside was still in a mess. 

 

The girl gave the door a loud knock and was immediately greeted by a loud piercing scream. 

 

A natural shocked reaction with a unnatural scream. 

 

“Just your friendly neighbour here dropping by to say hi, do you need any help?” Taeyeon projected her voice hoping whoever’s busy inside could hear her loud and clear. 

 

“Oh hi! Wait, oh dear, the door wasn’t locked all this time?” the owner shouted back. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter