White Christmas

Falling, Fallen

“Soojin-unnie.” Shuhua links arms with Soojin as they walk down a long corridor that has floor to ceiling windows, which overlook the courtyard between the Main and Children Hospitals. The light filters through the glass panels and cast shadows of branches onto the pristine white floors. It’s early afternoon and they just happened to run into each other in this hallway.

“Yes?” Soojin asks as she flips through the chart in her hands. It’s been a rather busy morning for her with the preparation for a possible heart transplant. Her eyes are gliding through the information quickly with a small frown indicating concentration. She isn’t paying much attention to the girl with the wide, glimmering eyes beside her.

“Are you free sometime this week?” Shuhua asks hopefully, her voice rising just a note.

“Mmm …” Soojin delays the answer with a small hum as she tries to formulate the patient’s treatment plan in her head. This is a career deciding case after all.

“Soojin-unnie?” Shuhua tries to get Soojin’s attention again after waiting a few seconds. She likes the serious look on Soojin’s face when the older woman is working, but she doesn’t like that she isn’t spared any attention.

Soojin finally tears her eyes away from the pages to look at the girl with the hopeful smile. “What?” Soojin smiles a little, toying with Shuhua. They’ve been back from the fall trip for almost a week, but they’ve been playing catch up with work almost the entire time. They haven’t had time to think about their promised date. Well, at least Soojin hasn’t had time. No doubt, Shuhua has been thinking about it the entire time. Yet, the younger woman has patiently waited until today to hint at Soojin about it. “Do you need help with something?”

Shuhua’s mouth drops in shock. Has Soojin forgotten about their date? “I don’t need help.” Her answer comes out a little more forceful and upset than she means to be. She turns her gaze down to the floor, watching their synchronized footsteps.

“I’m booked with surgeries this week …” Soojin pulls her arm out of Shuhua’s grasp, causing the younger woman to whine in protest. “But …” Soojin silences that whine by reaching down and holding Shuhua’s hand, “I have a day off next Tuesday … maybe you can come over and I can cook for you?” Soojin tries not to smile as she watches Shuhua’s expression shifts quickly to one of delight.

“Yes!” Shuhua quickly replies as soon as the question leaves Soojin’s lips. She squeezes Soojin’s hand and leans closer to the older woman as they reach the end of the corridor. Her chest could explode with happiness, she wants to let this energy out and scream on top of her lungs that Soojin is the best.  “I would love that, Unnie.” She doesn’t want this moment to end, her hand squeezes Soojin’s a little tighter.

“Okay, it’s a date then.” Soojin puts emphasis on the word date. Seeing Shuhua’s bright smile makes her smile wider, too. Shuhua is simply too cute. It’s taken a long time to admit that to herself, so Soojin isn’t about to deny that again anytime soon. “I have to go to imaging.” Soojin nods toward the left turn.

“I have to report to Dr. Hwang about my patient.” Shuhua points to the right turn.

“I’ll see you later at lunch, then?” Soojin squeezes Shuhua’s hand one more time.

“Yes, Soojin-unnie! I can’t wait!” Shuhua practically screams. It’s true. Despite having lunch so frequently together, sharing a meal with Soojin is always Shuhua’s favorite part of the day. Not only does she gets delicious food, but just seeing Soojin brightens her day.

“Okay. See you later.” Soojin winks for the first time since forever before letting go of Shuhua’s hand and waving at her.

Shuhua clutches her chest and pretends to be collapsing. The wink has hit the dramatic girl right in the heart. “Soojin-unnie … wow …”

“See ya.” Soojin giggles before turning, but after a few steps she turns her head to look back. She finds Shuhua still standing there looking after her. “Gooooo.” Soojin whines with a wide smile on her face.

“In a moment.” Shuhua nods and waves at Soojin. While the white coat obstruct most of Soojin’s curves, the gracefulness of her steps is mesmerizing enough for Shuhua. She certainly loves to watch her walk away.

Soojin chuckles and turns around again to keep going toward imaging. She could feel Shuhua’s eyes on her before she turns another corner. Her heart is fluttering with happiness. 

 

 

“Be careful here with this step.” Soyeon stands atop the steps of the bus while holding Yuqi’s hand to pull her girlfriend into the vehicle.

“Whew …” Yuqi lets out a breath when they both are seated. She puts the crutch under their seat. 

“Are you tired?” Soyeon asks, noting Yuqi’s heavy breaths.

“No, not really.” Yuqi shakes her head and smiles at Soyeon. It’s over a week since they came back from the fall trip. Yuqi has been cooped up at home for most of that time, since her ankle moderately restricts her movements. She’s been allowed to work from home, mostly helping with documentations and doing tele-visit for follow-ups. “It’s cold today.”

Soyeon takes note of that complaint and scoots closer to wrap one arm around Yuqi. Being smaller, Soyeon really has to hitch up her shoulder to hold Yuqi. “Do you want something warm to drink when we get back?”

“That sounds nice.” Yuqi smiles and rests her head on Soyeon’s shoulder. 

They just left her doctor’s office. Her ankle is healing nicely, nothing fractured or torn, and the inflammation has gone down quite a bit. It is still a blue-ish color, but a major improvement over the first few days. Soyeon has taken excellent care of Yuqi. She took over most of the house chores while constantly getting new ice and ointments for Yuqi’s ankle. Yuqi feels like a pampered child most of the time. It might be hard to go back to being normal.

“I’m glad nothing is wrong with the ankle. Just needs to stay off it for a while.” Yuqi takes a deep breath and relaxes against Soyeon. The older woman gives her such a nice feeling of peace and protection. Yuqi feels like she can depend on Soyeon for almost anything. 

“It looked worse than it actually is.” Soyeon nods in agreement.

“What if I had broken it permanently or something? Like they would have to amputate?” Yuqi suddenly looks at Soyeon. “What if I couldn’t walk normally for the rest of my life?” She knows that it couldn’t get that bad from a sprain ankle, but she wanted to know what Soyeon would say.

“Oooohhh …” Soyeon makes a disturbed face. “That’d be a problem, wouldn’t it?” 

“It would?” Yuqi’s eyebrows rise up slowly.

“Yeah.” Soyeon nods with a frown. “I’d have to go back to school to be a biomechanical engineer. Then I’d have to design the best functional and looking prosthetic for you. Then I’d have to maintain it …” Soyeon looks at Yuqi with a slight smile, “You’d have to stay with me forever because only I can maintain it.”

“Wow. You’ve really thought this through, huh?” Yuqi laughs at Soyeon’s preposterous plan.

“Yeah, you’ll have to depend on me forever. Sorry.” Soyeon shrugs as if there’s no other choice.

“This is like that movie, Misery. Are you Nurse Annie?” Yuqi gasps and pretends to lean away from Soyeon.

“Uh … what?” Soyeon blinks in confusion.

“Misery. That Stephen King movie with Kathy Bates? She breaks this guy’s ankles and imprisons him while pretending to nurse him back to health.” Yuqi tries to think back to the movie that she watched a long time ago.

“Uh … what?” Soyeon is disturbed and confused.

“Yeah, that’s like me right now. You’re trying to keep me forever?” Yuqi playfully pokes Soyeon’s side, making the older woman squirm.

“No … I didn’t break your ankles … wait, you don’t want to stay with me forever?” Soyeon feigns a hurt expression. “I was volunteering to take care if you forever. Is that a burden?”

“No … well, yes.” Yuqi reaches over and holds both of Soyeon’s cheeks inside her palms. “I want to take care of you, too. I don’t want it to be just one way.”

Soyeon looks into Yuqi’s earnest eyes and a bright blush creeps onto her cheeks. She could feel the heat on her face, or it could just be Yuqi’s warm hands. “Okay … please take care of me.”

“Good.” Yuqi smiles and pinches Soyeon’s cheeks slightly. “How about hot chocolate when we get back?”

“Okay …” Soyeon absentmindedly touches her cheek after Yuqi lets go. “We have to stop to get milk.”

“Okay, then we go home to make hot chocolate.” Yuqi nods and leans against Soyeon again. They enjoy the warmth from each other against the coldness of this December day.

 


 

“This is funny, right?” Minnie turns to Miyeon and smiles.

“Yeah, look at the way he’s chasing his tail.” Miyeon nods excitedly and points to Minnie’s phone.

They are currently on the sofa in the resident lounge. Minnie has her arm across the back of the sofa and her legs crossed while Miyeon is leaning against her. During their short break, they are watching a bunch of funny animal videos on YouTube. 

“Should we get a dog?” Minnie suddenly asks without much context.

Miyeon blinks at her a few times before leaning back, “We don’t even live together. How will we adopt a dog?”

“Well, should we live together?” Minnie asks with her head tilted.

“Um … eventually?” Miyeon answers with a question. “We just became official not too long ago …” Miyeon definitely doesn’t want to be the couple that moves in quickly and then breaks up quickly. In America, she believes they are so-called ‘U-HAUL lesbians’ or something of that nature.

“Hmmm.” Minnie makes a sound and goes back to searching through videos.

“Does that upset you?” Miyeon runs her hands through Minnie’s hair and tucks some strands behind Minnie’s ear, to not obstruct her view of Minnie’s face.

“No. I just thinks it’d be nice to wake up next to you every morning.” Minnie answers without looking at Miyeon, but Minnie’s ear is bright red. 

“Huh.” Miyeon pokes Minnie’s cheek. “You know know I’m not a morning person.” 

“I know. You can sleep ‘til noon or whenever you want. I just want you to be the first person I see when I wake up.” Minnie is persistent in not looking at Miyeon. She’s an emotional person, but even she has limits on embarrassing talks like this. 

“So you want to move in together and get a dog?” Miyeon considers the possibility, but it is a bit overwhelming to think about when they just finally stabilized. 

“We don’t have to get a dog right away.” Minnie points at a video of a kitten sleeping in the sun by a window.

“But you really want to move in together? We’ve only been official for like two weeks.” Miyeon puts her hand on the phone screen and looks intently at Minnie.

Minnie puts her phone down and finally looks at Miyeon. “I know, I won’t push it if you’re not comfortable with it. I just want …” she pauses to search for the right words, “… to make up for lost times.”

Miyeon chuckles and shakes her head. “Don’t think like that, the past is past. I want to move in together with you and adopt a dog … I want that. But I want us to do things right and not rush it, you know?”

Minnie studies Miyeon’s face for a hot second before leaning in to place a quick peck on Miyeon’s lips. “Okay. I know. I was just afraid you’d miss me too much when we’re not together.”

“I do.” Miyeon laughs and leans closer against Minnie. “But I am that much happier when we see each other.”

Minnie kisses the top of Miyeon’s head and they go back to watching videos. Minnie will have to be content with this for a little while. Things might have been different, had she been more honest with herself and Miyeon much earlier. For now, Minnie will just have to work harder to prove to Miyeon and they can go the distance.

 

 

“Hi Soojin-unnie!” Shuhua crashes into Soojin, giving her a tight hug, the moment that  Soojin opened her office’s door.

“Oof.” Soojin loses her breath for a moment before that vice-like grip is loosen. “Hey Shuhua.” She steps aside for Shuhua to get into the office before closing the door.

“How are you today? Have you eaten breakfast yet?” Shuhua asks as she quickly scans the room for any other soul. 

“Not yet, it’s been a busy morning.” Soojin follows Shuhua’s gaze around the room. As if reading the younger woman’s mind, she adds. “Soyeon left to follow up on some labs. We just came back from a conference call so haven’t had a chance to eat yet.”

“Oh … I see …” Shuhua nods and hesitates as if wanting to ask something.

“Shuhua …” Soojin speaks to make it a little easier for Shuhua. “Sorry I was called into surgery that day and we couldn’t go on our date.” That’s exactly what Soojin’s text said right before when they were scheduled to meet. It was an emergency and Soojin didn’t even have time to make a phone call. Since then, Soojin has attempted to apologize several times.

“It’s okay, unnie. I know that it was important.” Shuhua pulls up a chair from Soyeon’s desk and scoots closer to Soojin. “I just wanted to see you today. That’s all.” They’ve attempted to reschedule several times but they either had surgery, seminar, or some sort of other work thing going on. Very soon, another week has passed.

“How about we reschedule for this coming Thursday?” Soojin pulls up her calendar on her desktop. “I have a light schedule that day so I can get out early.” 

Shuhua smiles happily and quickly nods. “It’s Christmas Eve … would that be okay?” Shuhua is here in Korea alone, so she wasn’t planning on doing anything with anyone. She’d assumed everyone would want to be with their partners or family. She’d assumed Soojin would be busy, too. Even though she didn’t ask.

“Yeah. I didn’t have any plans, my parents and sister are in Hawaii for vacation. They’ve decided on a tropical Christmas.” Soojin smiles and shrugs. “I wasn’t going to be doing anything special … until now.” Sometimes Soojin can be slick if she wants to be.

“I’m glad … I mean, not because you didn’t have any plans …” Shuhua quickly corrects herself, “but I’m glad I get to spend Christmas Eve with you.”

“Would you like me to pick you up?” Soojin points to the window. “It’s starting to snow quite a bit, it’ll be better than riding the bus.”

Shuhua blushes because it sounds like a real date. Actually, it is a real date. “Yes, Soojin-unnie. Please pick me up.” Sometimes she gets to be so demure with Soojin. Her high energy excitement still bubbles at the surface, but Soojin makes her feel this peaceful happiness that she just can’t wish for anything more. She reaches over and holds Soojin’s hands, just about the only intimacy that she’s been allowed.

“Have you eaten?” Soojin looks at Shuhua’s hands wrapped around hers. “I can take a break and we can get some refreshments?” 

Shuhua nods happily again. “I want a smoothie!” 

“Isn’t it a little cold for a smoothie?” Soojin asks as she grabs her wallet.

“Yes, but I’m craving something cold and sweet right now.” Shuhua holds Soojin’s hand as they rise from their seat.

“Okay, if that’s what you want … let me text Soyeon to let her know I’ve gone to the cafeteria.” Soojin pulls out her phone with her free hand while they head out the door.

“Thank you, Soojin-unnie.” Shuhua takes advantage of Soojin’s momentary distraction and tiptoes up to plan a quick kiss on Soojin’s cheek. She just couldn’t resist those round cheeks. She wishes she could nuzzle her entire face against them.

Surprised, Soojin blinks twice as she stares at Shuhua. 

Thinking that she’s crossed the line, Shuhua stammers. “I-I’m sorry, unnie … it was spur of the moment …”

After a few more blinks, Soojin composes herself even though her puffy cheeks are now rosy with shyness. She tries not to smile as she replies. “It’s okay … I didn’t hate it …” 

“Then can I do it again?” Shuhua’s eyes grow wider.

“Don’t even think about it.” The stern tsundere persona returns quickly.

 

 

Snow, like little cotton pieces, is carried by the wind and float downward to collect on the edge of the balcony before sliding off when too much snow has accumulated. The outside world looks to be so dreary and cold as opposed to the warmth inside Yuqi and Soyeon’s apartment. Yuqi sits on the sofa with a blanket over her legs while sipping on a warm cup of tea. 

“Here. Have some biscuits with your tea.” Soyeon sinks into the seat next to Yuqi and puts the plate on her lap. Yuqi leans against Soyeon and rests her head on the older woman’s shoulder. 

“It’s cold again today.” Yuqi mutters sleepily while warming her hands with the hot tea. She has been home for the past two weeks, resting her ankle while getting used to the domicile life with Soyeon. “Do you want to share the blanket?” She lifts up the fabric to pull over to Soyeon.

“Thank you.” Soyeon happily snuggles up to Yuqi and stares out the window with her girlfriend. “Do you want to order in today?”

“What are you feeling?” Yuqi absentmindedly rubs the smoothness of Soyeon’s knee, feeling the bone structure under the skin. 

“Fried chicken and fries or pizza?” Soyeon grins sheepishly, knowing that they’re all high calories items that Yuqi is actually trying to avoid.

Yuqi puffs out her cheeks, “You know that I’m trying to avoid all the greasy food. I don’t want to get that much more weight while resting.” 

Soyeon chuckles and pokes at Yuqi’s cheek, “You can have a salad.”

“While you stuff yourself with the good stuff?” Yuqi avoids Soyeon’s finger on her cheek. 

“So if you can’t eat it, I can’t eat it either?” Soyeon uses her fingertip to tip Yuqi’s chin toward her.

“No.” Yuqi turns toward Soyeon, but her eyes look away like a guilty child.

“Cheeky girl.” Soyeon laughs at her childish, yet cute girlfriend. “What am I supposed to eat then? You know I hate vegetables.”

Yuqi mumbles something under her breath, too low for Soyeon to hear.

“Pardon?” Soyeon tilts her head closer to Yuqi. 

“Y-you …” Yuqi blushes deeply from the neck up, “could e-eat me instead …” She stutters the whole time, having a bit of difficulty with the level of flirtiness that she’s trying to achieve. 

Three weeks after the fall trip, Yuqi had quite a few doctor’s appointments and Soyeon had major surgeries that she had to prepare for. They barely had moments to themselves, except for this day when Soyeon has the day off. They’ve exchanged kisses here and there, but they haven’t gone much further due to lack of opportunity and experience.

“Oh … uh … I …” Soyeon’s face matches Yuqi’s bright red color. How could she say that she’s nervous about this when she doesn’t even know what to do.

“I’m just teasing.” Yuqi quickly smiles to give Soyeon an out. She knows that just like her, Soyeon lacks experience in the romance department. Throughout most of their lives, they’ve had one thing to focus on, it was their career. They both worked hard to achieve their degrees and are now working their training, but it came with a cost of neglecting the other parts of their lives.

“I want to … learn … though.” Soyeon chooses her words carefully, as to not be too crass about it. She genuinely wants to know how to please Yuqi, as a lover would.

“So … how would you … we … learn?” Yuqi is careful as well. It’s not like they are teenage schoolgirls, but speaking about this topic is difficult even for a grown woman.

“We could read … or … or watch videos …” Soyeon nervously stuffs a biscuit into . The crunching between her jaws help eases her jitters for a little bit.

“Oh … videos … that should be helpful …” Yuqi nods, also stuffing a biscuit into .

“Um … where would we … how would we find … these videos?” Soyeon swallows dryly.

“Search Naver?” Yuqi buries her face into Soyeon’s shoulder. 

“Um … okay …” Soyeon picks up her phone and pulls up Naver. “Let’s see …” She can’t believe that she’s doing this for the first time in all her years living. And with a girlfriend who is watching her with full attention. “How to … have … with your girlfriend?”

The articles, images, and videos that pulled up were more than anything that they were prepared for. The articles are too technical, reading them only makes the women more confused and less interested. The images are too exaggerated and lacks information. The videos were a whole other Pandora’s box.

“Oh … I don’t think my ankle will let me do that right now.” Yuqi makes a disgusted face and turns away from the screen.

“Uh … how is that even physically possible …” Soyeon flips to another video.

They skim through some more videos before they see something that was so gross Soyeon just flat out tosses her phone away. 

“So …” Soyeon blinks, trying to clear her mind of the images that she just saw away. There were quite a bit of things to digest. Her cheeks are warm, definitely aroused by some of the images and videos, but they also scare her a bit with the level of aggressiveness some of them were.

“Yeah?” Yuqi swallows and nods. She is more nervous now than before they researched the topic. The women looked so y and made up, what if Soyeon doesn’t find Yuqi as appealing under these clothes? What if she becomes a turn-off?

A loud rumble from Soyeon’s stomach interrupts their discussion. This is a welcomed distraction because instantly, the atmosphere in the room lightens up. “Fried chicken or pizza?” Soyeon tries not to giggle. She’s patting her stomach as if thanking it for knowing when to speak up.

“Pizza!” Yuqi laughs as she hugs Soyeon tightly. 

They wordlessly decides to shelf this topic for the next time they’re ready for it. Right now, they’re happy with kissing and maybe some light touching. When they’re ready, they’ll know what to do without having to watch some weird internet videos. Or so they hope, anyways.

 


 

A soft melody drifts into Miyeon’s consciousness, waking her up in the lull between dreams. Her eyes open just a crack, slowly adjusting to the sunlight that filters in through the sunshades. She looks at the clock at the bedside tablet. It reads 12:30 PM. Miyeon pushes the covers down a bit as she raises her arms to stretch. Her vision focus on the empty space besides her. It must be Minnie playing the piano, Miyeon quickly realizes. She yawns softly and pulls herself out of the warm covers before grabbing a nearby woolen throw to wrap around her shivering body. Minnie keeps her place nice and drafty, a bit too chilly for Miyeon’s taste.

“Good morning …” Miyeon calls out when she reaches the massive livingroom, where Minnie is playing.

Minnie is perched on the bench, playing a quiet but joyful song. When she hears Miyeon’s voice, she quickly wipes her cheeks before turning back to smile at her girlfriend. “Good afternoon.” She corrects the sleepyhead. She stops playing and turns around completely to watch Miyeon shuffle closer. “Did you sleep well?”

Miyeon nods while rubbing the sleepiness out of her eyes. When she gets next to Minnie, she opens her throw and lets Minnie slip her arms around Miyeon. Minnie rises slowly and pulls Miyeon into her a hug. They rest their chins on the other’s shoulder as they hold each other for a long moment.

“Were you crying?” Miyeon, despite her grogginess, noticed the wetness still lingering on Minnie’s lashes.

“Mmhmm …” Minnie replies wordlessly after a second as Miyeon tilts her head back to look at Minnie’s face.

“Are you okay?” Miyeon cups Minnie’s face in her hands.

“Yeah.” Minnie nods and kisses Miyeon’s palm. “I woke up with some inspiration for a composition.”

“Want to tell me about it?” Miyeon nods encouragingly.

Minnie nods before pulling back from the hug. She goes back to the bench and plays a sweet, soft tune. It’s just a few notes right now because she just thought of it this morning. When finished, Minnie looks back up at Miyeon expectingly.

“It’s good …” Miyeon searches for her words, “like warm wishes and … peace?” She struggles to think this early in the day. Besides, eloquence is not really her forte.

A small smile spreads across Minnie’s face and she nods. “I knew you’d get it.” She scoots over to let Miyeon share the piano bench with her before continuing. “I woke up thinking about Somi.” She quickly adds so Miyeon wouldn’t worry. “Nothing bad, just remembering the good times with her. I suddenly felt the need to play the piano … instead of sad tunes, I played these happy and peaceful notes. I cried because I felt the most peaceful and happiest feeling in a long time … mostly thanks to you … I think … I feel that I can finally say goodbye properly … so I’m going to compose a song for her and play it the next time I visit her.” She smiles at Miyeon, who is looking at her with this incredulous look.

Miyeon is quiet. Miyeon is thinking that Minnie is the most beautiful person she’s ever met. From the way that the sunlight is making Minnie glow to the fact that Minnie has one of the warmest hearts she’s ever seen, Miyeon smiles when she realizes that this is why she loves her so much. “Can I come with you at that time?” 

Minnie nods happily. “Yes, we have to make it official for her. She doesn’t know that we’re together yet.”

“Thank you.” Miyeon leans on and rests her head against Minnie’s. 

“Thank you for loving me.” Minnie reaches over to hold Miyeon’s hand on her lap. “Thank you for giving me another chance.”

They lean on each other with their hands held together for a long time before they have to get started with their day.

 

 

“It’s really coming down out there.” Soyeon sips on her cup of coffee as she watches the snow come down across the hospital’s grounds.

Soojin looks up from her desk and looks out the window to the snow coming down as fast as rain. “Yeah, it’s the white Christmas that everyone wish for.” She comments before looking back down at the papers on her desk, continuing to scribble away. If she wants to leave early enough to have time to get ready and go pick Shuhua up, she better finish her work soon. 

“Yeah.” Soyeon says quietly as she thinks back to Yuqi, who’s alone at home right now. She wonders what her girlfriend is up to on this cold afternoon. Probably bundled up on the sofa while doing some work from home. Probably still has on the same hoodie from yesterday. That thought makes Soyeon smile. Right after the lab result that she’s waiting on gets in, Soyeon is free to go home to see Yuqi.

“How’s Yuqi’s ankle doing?” Soojin asks as she skim through some information.

“Much better. She should be back within the week.” Soyeon quickly replies with a large smile plastered on her face. “Thanks for asking.”

“Good.” Soojin looks up and smiles back at Soyeon, noting how soft the younger woman looks. “She sounded like she was really bored on the group chat the other night.” Everyone’s been busy with their own thing so they’ve been keeping Yuqi company by random video group chats. 

“Yeah, she hates staying at home. I think she’s starting to have a major cabin fever.” Soyeon laughs, remembering how Yuqi whined to everyone about her predicament. “Shuhua is really excited about this date that you guys are going on tonight.” She changes the topic to something that grabs Soojin’s attention.

As predicted, Soojin perks up from her desk but she pretends to be cool about it. “She is?” She asks with as little interest in her voice as possible.

Soyeon nods, continuing in her own cool voice. “Of course. That’s all she’s been talking about all week … just like the week before when you guys were supposed to go out.”

“I see.” Soojin replies softly and tries to hide a satisfied smile, knowing that Shuhua is as excited if not more than her is putting some extra energy in her. She starts to scribble on the notes a little faster, but she’s still being as thorough and precise as possible. “I’m almost done here, do think you are okay doing the follow ups on your own?”

“Yeah. I’ll be okay. No worries.” Soyeon gives Soojin a thumb up with her smile. “Go get your girl.” Soyeon laughs and goes back to her desk to check on the labs that she’s been waiting on.

The door beeps right before it slides open and Dr. Kim Yongsun steps inside the room. She has a more serious than normal look on her face as she motions for both Soojin and Soyeon to come to her. “Alright you two. The time that we’ve been preparing for is here.” She looks between the two younger women. “Mr. Hwang has a heart candidate at Ulje Hospital. The person is a young man who was involved in an motorcycle accident. He is braindead and the family wants to donate the heart. You two will go there to wait for them to perform the extraction surgery and pull the plug, then come back here with the heart so we can perform the transplant.” She gives them a quick run down of the situation.

This is exactly what they’ve been preparing toward for almost a month. Mr. Hwang moved up to the top of the transplant list at the end of October and this is the perfect opportunity for both women to experience a heart transplant from beginning to end. They have gone over the procedures, techniques, and requirements dozens of times. This has to be perfect, nothing could go wrong. Soojin looks over at Soyeon, who gives her a confident nod. “We’re ready, when do we head out?” Soojin asks for them both.

“The chopper’s on the roof already, it takes off in twenty. I’ve already gathered the required equipments. You guys go get your things then go.” Dr. Kim hands them each the file of the patient who is the heart donor. “Any other question?”

Soojin and Soyeon shakes their heads in synchrony. “No ma’am.”

Dr. Kim gives them both thumbs up before making her way back to the door. “I’ll see you guys when you get back. Good luck.” She waves at them before making her exit, resting sure that they know the importance of this surgery for the patient and all of their careers.

When left alone, the two young doctors look at each other with incredulous looks. They smile at each other, understanding the other’s excitement and nervousness. Quickly, they return to their desks and gather up necessary items before making their own exit. Soojin’s mind is racing a mile a minute, there are so many things to think about and anticipate before the actual transplant surgery itself. All the thoughts continue amass as she walks through the hallway with Soyeon. Their tension is palpable as both brace for the many possibilities that lie ahead of them. Even the best laid plans can go awry and they have to be prepared for that, especially since their attending is here waiting for them.

“Soojin-unnie! Soyeon!” A voice calls out from behind them, a very happy and excited voice.

Crap. Soojin thought to herself. How did she forget about Yeh Shuhua? She turns to Soyeon, who has already turned back to wave at Shuhua. “Can you go on ahead and let the pilot know that I’m on my way?” She tells Soyeon, who nods understandingly and continues ahead of Soojin.

Shuhua catches up with Soojin with a bright smile on her sweet face. “Hi, Soojin-unnie. Where are you guys going?” Her eyes drift toward Soyeon’s receding figure.

“Shuhua, listen …” Soojin steps closer to the younger woman. She hates doing this for a second time to this sweet girl. “Soyeon and I are on our way to Ulje Hospital, the heart transplant that we’ve been preparing for is finally happening …” She speaks as low and softly as she could, it’s the only way she knows to let someone down.

Shuhua’s eyes light up in excitement, then immediately look crestfallen when she realizes that Soojin will be gone for the day. “Oh … that’s great news, Unnie.” The corner of twitches upward in an attempt to smile, but the disappointment in her eyes cause Soojin’s stomach to sink. “Good luck, I know you’ll do great.” 

Soojin reaches up to cup Shuhua’s cheeks, her eyes gazing deeply into those dark pools. “Thank you … wait for me, okay?” Her thumbs brush across Shuhua’s cheeks as the younger woman nods slightly.

“I will.” Shuhua’s cheeks warm with Soojin’s touch.

Soojin pulls Shuhua’s face closer and tilts her chin downward before planting a soft kiss on Shuhua’s forehead. Her lips press lightly against Shuhua’s porcelain skin, leaving just a trace of of her lipstick. “I have to go now, I’ll be back soon.” She steps back, but lets her fingertips linger on Shuhua’s cheek for as long as possible before turning away. Her pace quickens as she gets further away from Shuhua, resolving herself to do whatever she can to get back as soon as possible.

Shuhua watches Soojin disappears into an elevator while reaching up to cup her own cheeks. “I thought she was going to kiss me …” Her heart is beating right out of her chest as she remembers the sensation of Soojin’s lips on her skin. Once again, she watches Soojin walk away with conviction.

 

 

“Alright, I’ll see you when I get back, Yuqi-ah. Don’t forget to eat, okay?” Soyeon yells into her phone while covering her open ear with one hand. “Okay, see you later!” She tosses her head back to get her hair out of her face as the turbulent wind whips her hair every which way. When she spots Soojin on the helipad, she waves to the older woman then puts her freezing hands into her coat. They both make their way to the helicopter and the door slides right open for them. The snow is really coming down on this dreary afternoon as they rise above the hospital and then the city.

Soyeon looks out the window down to the ground that is slowly drifting away and soon the hospital disappears from view as they make their two hour trip toward Ulje hospital. Soyeon gets on her phone, texting Yuqi about the food that she left in the fridge. She sighs because she doesn’t get to spend Christmas Eve with her girlfriend and to give her the present that Soyeon’s been hiding for weeks. Soyeon really wanted to see Yuqi open the present on Christmas morning, but considering how long the surgeries will be … she’s not optimistic that she would get to see Yuqi before Christmas is over.

Soojin has the same realization as she watches the snow fly by. She wouldn’t get to see Shuhua until after Christmas probably, because when they get back to CUBE, they’d have to go straight into surgery and that is not a short surgery. She leans her temple against the head rest and closes her eyes, it’s been a while since Soojin was excited for a date like this. She really wanted to cook for Shuhua today. Maybe even have that first kiss that they both have been anticipating.

 

 

Yuqi finally hobbles into the kitchen when her stomach rumbled for the fifth time. She knows better than to wait for Soyeon, because her girlfriend is already a city away waiting on a heart to bring back to put into a man who desperately needs it. Thinking about Soyeon makes Yuqi smile unconsciously. Soyeon is so calm and cool, but is also the sweetest person that Yuqi’s ever met. In the fridge, Soyeon had packed food for Yuqi according to meals of the day so Yuqi would just have to microwave the containers. Soyeon made sure that the meals aren’t all the same so Yuqi wouldn’t get bored of eating them. 

When her food is warmed, Yuqi delicately carries it back to the sofa and puts it on the coffee table. The sun is starting to set and it’s getting darker out there. Yuqi picks up her phone to see if there’s any more message from Soyeon. She types in a quick good luck message and tells Soyeon to tell the pilot to be careful flying back in the dark like this.

 

 

Shuhua’s breaths form a light mist as she walks to the bus stop. She zips her jacket all the way up to cover her chin as she turtles her neck inward to keep warm in this blasted cold. Maybe this miserable feeling is because of the cold and wind, but Shuhua really wants to cry. Normally Shuhua isn’t one to get sad easily, but when Soojin’s already had to cancel their date twice, it feels like they’ll never go on a date together. Maybe it’s a sign. Shuhua understands that Soojin didn’t do it intentionally, but she feels like the more they delay, the higher the chance that Soojin would  change her mind.

“Get it together, Shuhua.” She says to herself, because she really doesn’t want to have a breakdown at a bus stop.

Shuhua’s phone vibrates in her pocket, so she pulls it out to see a message from Soyeon. The older woman is asking her to check on Yuqi, who’s alone at home right now. Shuhua forgets that Yuqi is also spending this Christmas Eve alone. Maybe they can keep each other company until Soojin and Soyeon gets back.

 

 

“What’s the delay?” Soyeon is starting to get a little impatient, they have been waiting for a few hours since arriving at Ulje Hospital and they still don’t have the heart in their hands. They have been sitting in the hospital’s resident lounge for a long while since the last update, so Soojin went to get some information.

“The weather.” Soojin sounds annoyed. “They’re saying that the snow may turn into a blizzard and they’re afraid that if they take the heart now, we still can’t go back to CUBE until the snow lightens up. Then the heart would go to waste. So we’re all on standby for the weather.” It took a lot for her not to not sound angry at the situation. She knows that she can’t risk driving the heart back in these dangerous conditions and it would take longer on the road. But the helicopter can’t fly with high wind and low visibility, it would be even more dangerous. 

“So we wait.” Soyeon’s shoulders shrink as she glances at the clock, they’re almost nine o’clock. They’ve been here for almost seven hours. They’ve had a cafeteria meal when their spirit was still high. “Let’s catch some sleep …” She formulates a plan, “they’ll come get us when it’s time and we will go straight into surgery when we get back. So let’s rest while we still can.” 

Soojin nods, but she’s not sure how she could sleep when she’s feeling so anxious about so many things right now. She chews on her lower lip as she sits on one of the sofas while Soyeon decides to curl up on the other. She considers for a second before pulling out her phone to text Miyeon.

 

 

“Merry Christmas!” Miyeon happily announces as she waves to the child laying on the hospital bed in a hospital gown. 

The young girl smiles weakly at Miyeon and waves back at Miyeon before her eyes drift toward Minnie. Immediately her eyes brighten and her smile widens.

Minnie is dressed in a bright red dress with white fur trims. She has on black knee high boots and a red Santa hat that has Minnie Mouse ears coming out of it. She’s also carrying a large sack on her back. “Merry Christmas! Ho ho ho!” Minnie laughs as she walks closer to the hospital bed.

“Hi.” The child smiles shyly at Minnie’s get-up. 

“Hi, are you little Lee Areum?” Minnie asks with her signature eye smile.

Little Areum nods shyly as she tries to sit up on her bed with Miyeon’s help.

“Well, little Areum. My name is Minnie and I’m one of Santa’s mouse helpers. He’s running a little late this year, but he wanted to make sure that you get your present so he sent me to bring it to you.” Minnie digs into her large cloth sack and pulls out a wrapped present. 

“Really?” Areum’s face lights up as she reaches out for the present. Her little hands are so small compared to the box.

“Yeah, will you forgive Santa?” Minnie asks after handing the box over.

“Yes … Minnie-unnie.” Areum gently nods as she eyes the big bow on top of the nice wrapping paper.

Minnie glances at Miyeon, who’s looking at her adoringly, and winks. “That’s why you’re on Santa’s good list.” She gently pats Areum’s head. “You can open it whenever you want to.”

“I … want to save it so I can open it tomorrow with my umma.” Areum looks up at Minnie with a smile that could break the coldest of hearts.

They are here at the Children’s Hospital. Every year, there are children, either too sick to go home or has no home to go to, who have to stay at the hospital. Children like Areum, whose single mom is working to pay for her hospital bills. They have to fight to live, so luxuries like presents and Christmas are just secondary thoughts. Miyeon wanted to get the kids something to cheer them up. They went shopping for the better part of the week to fill the gaps of whatever donations couldn’t cover.

“Are you okay?” Miyeon asks when they leaves Areum’s room.

“Yeah.” Minnie blinks the tears from her eyes. It’s just so sad how the each room in the hospital is a different scene. Some patients’ rooms are full of warmth from family and friends. Some are empty and cold like little Areum’s. 

“If you want to take a break …” Miyeon starts but Minnie shakes her head.

“I don’t know how you do it every day.” Minnie means dealing with the sickest of sick children day in and day out. Minnie has a weakness for sick children and the elderly. Everything reminds her of the past few months and the depression that she went through. She has a newfound respect for her girlfriend, who is this strong woman before her. This woman who always smile despite the toughest of times.

“It doesn’t get any easier.” Miyeon smiles as she interlaces her fingers with Minnie’s free hand. “But I remind myself that they are here for me to treat them with the best of my ability, not for my pity. I try to cheer them up with snack and presents, but most of all they just want to get well.”

Minnie squeezes Miyeon’s hand as they walk to the next patient’s room. Miyeon’s phone dings softly as she receives a text from Soojin.

“Soojin is asking us to check in on Shuhua. She said Soyeon and her are stuck at Ulje Hospital because of the weather. Shuhua went to check in on Yuqi and is camping out there for the night.” Miyeon looks over at Minnie, who nods with understanding. 

“Okay, let’s finish handing out presents to the kids here and go to our kids over there.” Minnie chuckles and waits for Miyeon to knock on the next patient’s door.

“Okay.” Miyeon smiles back at her, noting how strong Minnie has gotten in the past few weeks. She was worried that being here with so many sick children would cause Minnie to spiral back into her depression, but the Thai woman has returned to the Minnie that Miyeon fell in love with. The funny, sweet woman who has so much compassion for patients. Miyeon want to, but could never tell Minnie that she is the reason that Miyeon try her best for patients everyday. When they were residents, Miyeon viewed her job as just a job. Compassion was a foreign concept to her because it wasn’t really something that is taught. She was touched by some patients, but she doesn’t let it affect her in any way. Going above and beyond seemed like a very taxing notion. But Minnie showed her what compassion was and how that affect patients’ outcome and ultimately Miyeon as a person. Miyeon doesn’t want Minnie to think of her as anything but the person that Minnie loves for being strong and compassionate.

“Are you ready?” Minnie smiles.

Miyeon nods and answer. “Yes.”

 

 

“Soojin?” A man’s voice voice calls out to Soojin when she is pouring herself some coffee. She turns around to find herself looking at tall young man in surgical scrubs.

“Hoetaek-oppa.” Soojin mutters and looks at the man who is standing in front of her. “Hi.” She smiles softly at the man. “I didn’t realize you were working today.” 

“Good morning.” Hoetaek is a tall guy with a stylish haircut and eyes that seem to be perpetually darkened like he’s been missing sleep.

“Have you been well?” Soojin asks politely. She’s been here all night. They finally got the confirmation that the patient is undergoing heart extraction at two in the morning. It’s nice to see a familiar face in the foreign setting.

“Yeah I’ve been good … are you here for my heart?” Lee Hoetaek smiles charmingly. 

“Huh?” Soojin blushes, but is confused nonetheless.

“I mean, my patient’s heart.” Hoetaek clarifies while his eye smile does the charming for him. “We just finished the extraction, they’re finishing up in there … should be out here any moment.”

“Oh.” Soojin blinks and nods. “Yes … I’m here for the heart.” She looks down at the cup of coffee in her hand before grabbing three packs of sugar. “Here, looks like I won’t have time to enjoy the coffee.”

“Thank you.” Hoetaek accepts the cup and sugars with both hands. “You still remember how many sugars I take?”

“Yeah … it’s just habit.” Soojin smiles and watches as Hoetaek open the packets to put sugar into his cup of coffee. 

“I forgot to ask about your fall trip. Was the Jeep good?” Hoetaek gives the coffee a quick stir before taking a sip. 

“It was good. Thank you for loaning it to me.” Soojin nods happily. “I had a really good trip with it.”

“We should go on another trip sometimes, I know a few cool camping spots that I think you’d enjoy a lot.” Hoetaek grins as he leans against the counter to chat with Soojin.

“Y-yeah …” Soojin nods hesitantly.

At this time, Soyeon choose to cough and wakes up from her spot on the sofa. The sound snaps Soojin’s attention back to reality.

“Omo.” Hoetaek jumps slightly before laughing nervously. “You scared me.”

Soyeon rises, eyes looking sheepish and sleepy. She has been awake for a while, but she didn’t want to interrupt the conversation until she couldn’t stay still anymore. “Sorry …”

Hoetaek looks over to Soojin, who is staring at Soyeon with a jolted expression. He has rarely seen this look on the normally poker faced Soojin. Soyeon looks from Hoetaek to Soojin as she stands up to stretch. Seeing that Soojin is not in a position to introduce anyone, Soyeon looks back at Hoetaek and bows slightly. “Hi. My name is Jeon Soyeon, I’m a cardio intern at CUBE Hospital.”

Hoetaek snaps out of his thoughts before nodding and stepping forward to offer his hand for Soyeon to shake. “I’m Lee Hoetaek. I’m a fourth year cardio resident here at Ulje.” Hoetaek’s charming smile doesn’t have as much of an effect on Soyeon. They politely shake hands while Soojin comes back to her senses.

“Soojin and I went to medical school together.” Hoetaek motions toward Soojin, who nods quickly.

Before Soojin could add anything to the conversation, another resident comes into the lounge to announce that the heart is ready for transport and the helicopter will be ready in twenty minutes. The weather has vastly improved this morning and they could make a quick departure back to CUBE. Soojin and Soyeon thank the person before going to get their things ready.

“Well, safe travels back to CUBE … I’ll see you soon?” Hoetaek asks with a hopeful smile.

Soojin smiles and nods. “Let’s see when our schedules match up. Thank you for a successful surgery.” 

“It was nice meeting you, Jeon Soyeon-ssi. Best of luck on your residency.” Hoetaek offers a friendly wave toward Soyeon before leaving the lounge.

Soyeon waits for Hoetaek to leave the room before turning to Soojin with an expectant look. Soojin notices her stare and frowns questioningly, “What?”

“Is there something going on here?” Soyeon asks as she picks up her equipment bag. 

“What do you mean?” Soojin is playing clueless.

“You know what I mean … should I be worried for Shuhua?” Soyeon is not a fan of sticking her nose into other people’s business. But Shuhua was her friend before Soojin was her resident. Shuhua has been there for her as they study and work through problems together. She does not want the younger woman to get hurt because she sees that there is clearly something going on with the way Soojin and Hoetaek were talking. Or rather, flirting.

“It is not your business to ask.” Soojin replies in a matter of fact tone. It’s the first time in a while that Soojin take an attitude with Soyeon. She too picks up her bag and heads toward the door.

“She is my friend and if I think she might get hurt, then I will ask.” Soyeon follows Soojin closely out of the door.

“I am not going to hurt her.” Soojin whips around to face Soyeon. It’s too early for this. It’s too stressful already without this.

“Be sure that you don’t.” Soyeon stands toe to toe with Soojin. “I don’t want to lose either one of you.”

They have a staring match for a split second before Soojin turns around to head to the operating room to pick up their heart. Soyeon trails behind her, studying the cold exterior of Soojin’s back. They have had their arguments before, but Soyeon has never gone head to head with Soojin this way. She respects the older woman too much to let her make this big of a mistake.

After receiving the heart from the Ulje transplant team, they head up to the roof to catch their helicopter ride back to CUBE. The entirety of the ride is a cold war between Soojin and Soyeon. They can’t talk or look at each other because each person feels that the other one is wrong. Soojin doesn’t know why Soyeon is overreacting. Whatever she had with Hoetaek doesn’t have anything to do with what she has … or plan to have with Shuhua. They haven’t even had a date yet, for God’s sake. 

After the two hour ride, they arrive back at CUBE and rushes into the OR. There is no time for argument or any other thoughts right now when one of the biggest surgeries in their new career is right ahead of them. Let’s get Mr. Hwang the Christmas miracle that they make movies about.

 

 

Shuhua knows that Soojin is back from Ulje because she walked by the OR booked for the transplant and the ‘In Progress’ light is on. She can only imagine the difficulty of that surgery. In a way, she’s very proud of Soojin and Soyeon for participating in such an important operation. It feels so strange to be so close yet so far from Soojin right now. Shuhua hates to admit that she passes by the room several times throughout the day to see if they are done. Each time she feels more anxious than the next, just wanting to see Soojin walk out those doors.

The sun has set a while ago and yet, still no Soojin. Shuhua sighs as she walks back to her office. From her desk, she pulls out a small box that’s wrapped in simple blue paper. Soojin is not a flashy person, so Shuhua makes sure that it’s nothing too flashy. Shuhua considers going by Soojin’s office and dropping it off there. Or should she wait until the older woman gets out of surgery? Would Soojin get annoyed with her for bothering her right after an exhausting day?

“Arghhh!” So many questions and decisions make Shuhua’s head hurts. She puts her head down on her desk and closes her eyes, trying to calm down while deciding to wait for Soojin. Shuhua really wants to give Soojin her present before Christmas is over. She’s been waiting for a long time for this chance, but it feels like it’s starting to slip away from her.

 

 

The clock on the wall reads 10:37PM. 

Soojin and Soyeon practically stumble out of the OR after the ten-hour surgery. The patient is finally stable after several scares, they pulled through magnificently. Finally, they are done with the transplant and Christmas is almost over. Soojin takes off her surgical bonnet and pulls out her hairtie, letting her hair be free to breath. She glances over at Soyeon, who is just standing there with her eyes closed and breathing softly. They are exhausted, but so much lighter because the anxiety and pressure have left them. 

“Good job, Soyeon.” Soojin is the first to speak. She is glad to have such a capable intern, who’s been with her since the whole process started.

Soyeon opens her eyes and cracks a small smile. She looks a bit haggard, with her eyes sunken in a bit more than usual. “Good job, Soojin.” She replies before adding. “And I’m sorry about earlier today. I shouldn’t have jumped down your throat like that.”

“I’m sorry, too. I wasn’t in the mood to explain myself … there nothing between me and Hoetaek-oppa … anymore. I’m not going to hurt Shuhua.” Soojin says it with confidence because the first person she wanted to call when she stepped out of the OR is Shuhua. She wants to tell the young woman all about how stressed she’s been and how awesome she did during the operation. She wants to hear Shuhua’s excited squeal and the way Shuhua calls her ‘unnie’.

“I believe you.” Soyeon nods and holds down her fist toward Soojin. “We’re still a team, yeah?”

Soojin looks at Soyeon’s small fist before bumping her own fist against it. “A damn good team.” 

Soyeon smiles upon hearing that. She nods in agreement before waving to Soojin. “Alright, I’ve got to go home to see if Yuqi is okay. I’ll see you tomorrow?”

Soojin nods. “Yeah … tell Yuqi that I said hi. Do you want a ride?”

“No. I’m fine. Thank you … Merry Christmas.” Soyeon smiles tiredly before turning to go toward the locker room.

“Merry Christmas.” Soojin replies softly, reminded that it is still Christmas. 

Soojin looks at her phone and contemplates calling Shuhua, but decides against it. It’s too late at night, Shuhua’s probably already sleeping. Instead, she goes to pick up her things from her office and heads home after changing into her street clothes. She just sends Shuhua a simple Merry Christmas text before making her way to her car. Hopefully she’ll see Shuhua tomorrow to give her the present that she got.

In the empty parking garage, the sound of Soojin’s foot steps echo against the quiet space. Soojin’s car is still parked where she left it yesterday. It’s been over twenty four hours since Soojin left this spot. Her neck and shoulder feel so stiff after standing and looking down for ten long hours after a restless night. She really want to sink into a hot bath right now, but knowing her, she’ll probably collapse into bed the moment that she gets home. These two days have turned out a lot more differently than what she had planned. She had imagined a lot more of Shuhua and a whole lot less of stress and exhaustion. She’s so exhausted that she’s even hearing Shuhua’s voice right now. Or is she?

“Soojin-unnie, wait!” Shuhua’s voice booms in the echoing garage, making Soojin stop in her track and turn around to see a real life Shuhua sprinting toward her. “Wait!”

Surprised, Soojin just blinks while staring at the panting woman in front of her. “What … are you doing here?”

“I …” Shuhua gulps for air and saliva as she tries to speak. “I … I’ve been … waiting for … you.” She suddenly digs into her coat’s pocket a pulls out a small square box that is simply wrapped in blue paper with a cute white bow. “M-Merry … Christmas.” Shuhua says between labored breaths as she deposits the box into Soojin’s hand.

“You’ve been waiting for me?” Soojin’s brows knit together as she looks at her watch again, just to confirm the time is 11PM. “How long have you been waiting?”

“Not too long.” Shuhua’s innocent face smiles happily, knowing that she made it before the end of Christmas. 

Suddenly, all the exhaustion leaves Soojin’s body and she quickly strides toward the most adorable girl in the world. She cups Shuhua’s cheeks and tilts Shuhua’s chin upward. Her eyes search those dark pearls for a split second before she presses her lips against Shuhua’s parted ones. It takes a second for their lips to warm in the coldness of the night, but they kept them pressed against each other for as long as possible. When Soojin is ready to pull back, Shuhua’s hands reach up to her coat’s collar and pull her back, refusing to stop this kiss. It feels even better than what Shuhua had imagined. She presses her body against Soojin’s and pushes the older woman backward, trapping her between Shuhua and the car. 

Shuhua kisses Soojin hungrily, as if she’s been given the most lavish of meals after starving for so long. Soojin’s lips are just as she imagined if not more, so warm and soft and God does she smell so good. Soojin almost forgets to breath from the way Shuhua kisses her, so tender and urgent at the same time. Her arms wrap around Shuhua’s body, pulling her as close as possible. Suddenly, a car enters the garage, its headlights briefly shining on Soojin, blinding and stunning her for a second. She panics, it’s improper to be making out at work like this, where everyone can see and there are cameras. She pulls her head back and turns her face to the side in embarrassment at her loss of self-control.

Shuhua could not care less about people seeing. Her lips try to follow Soojin’s, only for the older woman to turn away from her. Feeling as if she did something wrong, Shuhua steps back away from Soojin, only for the older woman to pull her back. Confused, Shuhua looks up expectantly at Soojin, letting the older woman lead again.

“We’re still at work.” Soojin quietly explains, her eyes still looking at Shuhua’s lips. Those lips with her lipstick smeared all over it. God does Soojin want to put more of her lipstick all over Shuhua … but this is not the time nor place for that. She swallows hard. “We wouldn’t want to give them too much of a show.”

Shuhua smiles and shakes her head. “No, we wouldn’t want that.” Her smile grows to be a bit more mischievous as she fixes Soojin’s coat collar. “I thought you don’t kiss before the first date, Unnie?”

Soojin snorts and shakes her head. “I don’t.”

“Then what was that?” Shuhua smiles and teases Soojin a little more. 

“What was what?” Soojin pretends not to know and looks around. “I don’t know what you’re referring to.”

“Are you serious right now?” Shuhua yells and playfully hits Soojin’s shoulders.

Soojin laughs along before grabbing Shuhua’s wrists to stop her silly attack. “I also have something for you, wait here a second.” She smiles and walks around to the passenger side of her car. She opens the door and leans in to grab a rectangular box from the glove compartment. When she gets back to Shuhua, the young woman sees that is a red package with a white bow. “Merry Christmas, Yeh Shuhua.” 

Shuhua smiles and happily accepts the present before jumping onto Soojin for another tight hug. “Thank you so much. Merry Christmas, Seo Soojin.” 

“Let’s get out of here, I’ll take you home.” Soojin squeezes Shuhua again and gives her cheek a soft kiss.

“Okay, unnie.” Shuhua is reluctant to let go of Soojin, but is happy that she gets to share a ride with Soojin.

They both gets into the car and Soojin starts driving toward Shuhua’s apartment. She doesn’t even need the navigation system anymore because she’s memorized that way there from the past times. Looking over at the smiling Shuhua, she reaches for the younger woman’s hand to hold again as she drives. On the way, Soojin tells Shuhua all about the craziness that went on in the past two days, including how awesome she was during the actual transplant operation.

A lively conversation makes the drive go quickly and they are in front of Shuhua’s apartment before they knew it. Soojin gets out of the car and stands in front of Shuhua.

“Thanks for taking me home.” Shuhua holds up her present. “And for this.”

“You’re welcome …” Soojin pulls her present out of her pocket. “Thank you for mine.” 

“You’re welcome. I hope you’ll think of me when you use it.” Shuhua smiles so sweetly again, making Soojin give into her urge again.

Soojin leans closer to Shuhua and quickly pecks her on the lips. Once she starts, Soojin feels like she can’t stop. She want to feel and taste those lips again and again and again … she could feel Shuhua’s fingers running through her hair to hold her face close. They kiss passionately again, even more than the first time because they are now addicts after that first hit.

“Can I come up?” Soojin asks softly between pauses.

“Hmm?” Shuhua couldn’t hear Soojin well between her panting breaths, but she could’ve sworn Soojin asked to come to her apartment.

“Can I stay the night?” Soojin asks again, now heavily blushing. “Not for … THAT … I just don’t want to go home right now …” Shuhua could get used to this honest and up-front Soojin.

“Yes. Yes. Of course.” Shuhua nods excitedly and grabs Soojin’s hand, pulling her toward the entrance of the building. She doesn’t want to give Soojin time to change her mind. She’s not going to lie and say that she’s not hoping for other things, but right now she really doesn’t want Soojin to go home either.

Soojin blushes as she allows herself to be lead up to Shuhua’s apartment. The one with about ten delivery boxes waiting for it in front of the door. Soojin’s eyes widen when Shuhua opens the door to reveal a whole apartment full of boxes from the front door to the back. Soojin had expected something completely different. Suddenly the stress and anxiety returns to Soojin’s body as she steps into Shuhua’s apartment. 

“Shuhua-ah.” Soojin mutters as she looks around Shuhua’s collection of boxes, are they her furniture? 

“Yes, unnie?” Shuhua knows this doesn’t look too good. She should have asked to go to Soojin’s place instead.

“If you don’t get rid of these boxes, we can forget about that date.” Soojin breathes out the breath that she’s been holding.

“Okay. I’ll get right on it, they’ll be gone tomorrow!” Shuhua puts down her things and gets ready to start cleaning, but Soojin grabs her arm.

“You don’t have to start now … but soon, please.” Soojin looks at Shuhua’s face now, how could she have predicted that this is the cute facade of a hoarder?

“Yes, unnie. I promise.” Shuhua nods excitedly.

Soojin is worried because she doesn’t see any furniture in the apartment, does the younger woman sleep on cardboard boxes too? Her answer is shown when Shuhua leads her to the bedroom, where a normal full-sized bed is the sole furniture in the sea of boxes. 

“You can have the bed, unnie. I’ll grab my sleeping bag …” Shuhua’ words are silenced by Soojin’s head shake. 

“We can share, it’s big enough for both of us … let me just go wash up.” Soojin smiles and waits for Shuhua to show her to the bathroom.

Shuhua waits for Soojin to get washed up before giving her some clean clothes to wear to sleep. Soojin’s exhaustion quickly takes over her the moment her head hit the comfortable pillow. She ends up as the small spoon as Shuhua wraps one arm around her. They snuggle close to each other to keep warm for the rest of the night. And in the morning, they would wake up to go to work together for the first time.

 

 

Soyeon stomps her feet on the door mat outside of the apartment, kicking off the snow stuck to her boots, before she pushes the door open. She looks around the dimly lit house, wondering whether Yuqi is asleep. Quiet as a mouse, she closes the door behind her and slips out of her boots. Not wanting to wake Yuqi, she carefully walks into the livingroom without making too much noise. She dumps all of her work stuff onto the sofa before plopping herself down into the comfortable seat. It’s been a long two days and it feels so good and free to be home. Soyeon could pass out right now, if not for the nagging hunger in her belly. She contemplates making ramen, but she doesn’t want to wake Yuqi up.

“Are you hungry, Soyeonie?” Yuqi’s voice calls out from Yuqi’s room, jolting Soyeon awake.

“Are you awake?” Soyeon calls out.

“I’ve been waiting for you, pabo.” Yuqi hobbles out from her room, putting very little pressure on her ankle. “You must be so tired.” 

“I am …” From the sofa, Soyeon holds her hands out toward Yuqi, looking like a child who wants to be picked up.

With a small smile, Yuqi slowly walks up to Soyeon and reaches out to pull Soyeon’s head toward her belly. Soyeon wraps her arms around Yuqi’s waist and buries her face into Yuqi’s stomach. It feels extra good to be held by Yuqi, who’s gently Soyeon’s head in a comforting motion. Soyeon feels all of the tiredness get washed away by a feeling of love and peace.

“Do you want me to heat up some food for you?” Yuqi asks, looking down and trying to see Soyeon’s face, which she has missed for two days.

“I can do it in a minute. Can we stay like this for a little bit?” Soyeon asks softly, speaking into Yuqi’s belly.

“Okay … but can I sit down?” Yuqi asks because it feels awkward to stand with most of her weight on her good ankle. She feels it tiring out already.

“Oh, oh. Sorry.” Soyeon snaps out of her daze and nods. “Of course, here …” She pushes her work stuff off the sofa to make room for Yuqi.

Yuqi gingerly sits down next to Soyeon and turns to her girlfriend. She leans in and places a quick peck on Soyeon’s lips before smiling brightly. “Merry Christmas.” The clock still reads 11:49PM, the day is not over yet.

“Oh! Wait here!” Soyeon suddenly remembers Yuqi’s present that she has in her closet. She hops onto her feet and quickly shuffles into her room before returning with a large box that is clumsily wrapped. “Merry Christmas, Yuqi-ah.” She hands the box to Yuqi after she reclaims her seat.

“Oh wow, this is a large box.” Yuqi happily accepts the present, it’s large but it’s light. “I also have something for you.” She reaches into her pocket and pulls out a small box, the size of a jewelry gift box. 

Soyeon accepts the gift from Yuqi with a curious smile. “Can I open it now?” 

“Yeah. I’ve been waiting for your to come home to open it.” Yuqi nods happily and motions for Soyeon to go ahead.

With childish glee, Soyeon unwraps the small present to reveal a small velvet jewelry box. She glances at Yuqi with a nervous smile before flipping the top open to reveal a pair of sparkly, star-shaped earrings. They look like they’re encrusted with diamonds, which must make them expensive. Soyeon looks at Yuqi with a surprised expression.

As if she’s read Soyeon’s mind, Yuqi smiles and shakes her head. “Don’t worry about the cost. I’m a surgeon you know, I can afford it.”

Soyeon chuckles a little, but is still nervous about accepting such an expensive present. “Um … I’m worried … what if I lose an earring or something.” 

“Then you’ll lose an ear too!” Yuqi puffs up her cheeks and puts her hands at her hips. “You should worry about that regardless of whether it’s expensive or not … it’s my first present to you as my girlfriend.”

Soyeon opens to answer, but she doesn’t find a fault in Yuqi’s logic so she is unable to argue. “Okay … I’ll take guard them with my life.”

“I was joking, it’s not that serious.” Yuqi shakes her head and taps lightly on the tip of Soyeon’s nose.

“You can open my present now.” Soyeon says shyly and pushes her present toward Yuqi.

“Yay!” Yuqi laughs and waves her hands around in excitement. She picks up the large box and rips the wrapping apart before opening the box. Soyeon watches Yuqi’s expression with great interest, hoping that her girlfriend would like her present.

“WHAT?!” Yuqi exclaims before pulling a big stuffed giraffe out of the box. “What is this?” She laughs as she looks it over, completely missing the sparkling chain around the giraffe’s neck.

“Ahem.” Soyeon pretends to cough as she makes eye signal for Yuqi to notice the sparkly thing. But being as dense as Yuqi can be, the younger woman just looks at Soyeon with a confused expression. “Look here, woman.” Soyeon finally gives up and points to the silver necklace around the stuffed giraffe’s neck.

“Oh!” Yuqi exclaims before lifting up the necklace to look at a small giraffe pendant hanging down from the chain. “This is so cute!”

Soyeon smiles and puts down her jewelry box to unclasp the necklace from the giraffe’s neck. “Here, let me.” She stands up and walks around Yuqi while the younger woman pools her hair to one side. With great care, Soyeon puts the necklace around Yuqi’s delicate neck. It takes her a moment to clasp the necklace again because her hands are having the jitters.

“Thank you.” Yuqi waits until Soyeon is in her vision before holding her hand great sincerity. “This is so lovely and thoughtful.” She never thought that she would have someone who listen so closely to her interest. Actually, she’s surprised that she even has a girlfriend.

“You’re welcome. I’m glad you like it.” Soyeon smiles and reaches up to touch the giraffe pendant that now rests between Yuqi’s collarbone.

“Let me put your earrings on for you.” Yuqi reaches for the small jewelry box before reach over to tuck some hair behind Soyeon’s ear. For some reason, Soyeon shivers the moment Yuqi touches the outer edge of her ear. 

“Tickles.” Soyeon explains while avoiding Yuqi’s gaze.

Yuqi smiles and puts the star shaped stud into Soyeon’s ears, using Soyeon’s chin to turn her head when needed. When she’s done, Yuqi deliberately touches Soyeon’s ear a little longer, causing the older woman to shiver again. She giggles when Soyeon turn beet red.

“Don’t laugh.” Soyeon pretends to scowl while looking away.

“They look good on you.” Yuqi touches Soyeon’s ear again, causing Soyeon to turn to try to bite her hand. Now that she thinks about it, their first kiss resulted from her touching Soyeon’s ear. “Do you not like it when I touch your ear?” She asks playfully.

“It’s not that.” Soyeon, who is rarely this shy, lowers her head while her ears now turn beet red as well. 

“Or do you like it … too much.” Yuqi deliberately teases Soyeon by leaning closer and whispering in her ear. 

Yuqi’s hot breath brushes against Soyeon’s skin, making her immediately lose her breath. She turns to look at Yuqi with wide eyes, having been teased a bit more than she’s used to. “You’re enjoying this waaaay too much.” She pinches Yuqi’s side, causing Yuqi to back off.

“Ouch … I was just teasing.” Yuqi rubs her side and pouts. 

Soyeon reaches for Yuqi’s free hand and holds it with sincerity. “I’m sorry I was away for almost two days, especially during Christmas, too.”

Yuqi is taken back by Soyeon’s sudden change in tone. She shakes her head and squeezes Soyeon’s hand, “Shuhua came to hang out with me last night, then Minnie and Miyeon came to check on both of us. They stayed very late so I wasn’t entirely alone.”

“I’m glad.” Soyeon smiles and wraps one arm around Yuqi’s shoulders.

Yuqi leans against Soyeon and puts one hand on Soyeon’s stomach. “But I missed you so much. I didn’t want to bother you when I know that you were busy, but I really wanted to hear your voice.”

“You mean this voice?” Soyeon opens real wide and starts to sing real loudly, causing Yuqi to laugh and cover with one hand.

“Yah! It’s late, people might be sleeping!” Yuqi laughs as Soyeon blinks at her innocently. She removes her hand, but Soyeon starts to sing again. “Please! Stop!” She laughs because Soyeon is really into the song.

Eventually, Yuqi has no other choice by to silences Soyeon with a kiss. There was no other choice, other than maybe to suffocate her with a pillow. But Yuqi likes Soyeon too much to do that. Although, her kiss only slightly dampen Soyeon’s voice as the older woman hums into Yuqi’s mouth, causing Yuqi to bite down on Soyeon’s lower lip.

“Ow.” Soyeon leans back and frowns at Yuqi.

“You play too much.” Yuqi shakes her head and pushes Soyeon into the sofa while swinging her leg over to straddle the blonde. “I’ve been waiting for you for two days and you’re not even putting that mouth to good use.” 

Soyeon blinks in surprise, maybe a bit of fear, because despite them dating for a month, she still isn’t confident enough to go the final stretch of physical intimacy. Now that Yuqi is taking the assertive role, Soyeon feels herself yielding to those forward eyes. “Um … what would you like me to do?” She asks and swallows dryly.

“I want you to …” Before Yuqi could finish her sentence, a loud rumble from Soyeon’s stomach answers for both of them. With a slight roll of her eyes, Yuqi sighs. “Go heat up the food in the fridge. I’ve made some of your favorites.” She is resigned to this fate of interruptions from Soyeon’s stomach.

Soyeon looks down at her noncompliant stomach and frowns. Always when it’s getting heated does her belly protest for food. She watches as Yuqi settle back into her seat on the sofa. “You cooked?” Yuqi is not a big fan of cooking. She hates making a mess and cooking makes messes.

“Yeah. I called your mom for some recipes.” Yuqi answers nonchalantly as if it’s not a big deal. She’s also looking a little miffed that her moment has been stolen. 

“You called umma?” Soyeon is even more impressed. 

“She gave me all the recipes … so if it’s not good, it’s her recipes’ fault.” Yuqi has to preface it just in case.

Excitedly, Soyeon jumps onto her feet and runs into the kitchen. Yuqi sighs again and leans back on the sofa, pitying herself for still being a after getting a girlfriend and taking the initiative with said girlfriend. Is this the life that she is doomed to live?

“Yuqi-ah, do you want me to heat some up for you too?” Soyeon calls from the kitchen.

With a loud sigh, Yuqi answers. “Yeah, I want some.”

 

 

“Mmm, that smells good.” Minnie leans on the counter as she watches Miyeon stirring food over the hot stove. 

“It’s almost ready.” Miyeon turns to look at her adoring girlfriend, who’s watching her with a slight smile. 

“Oooh, so domestic. I like it.” Minnie teases when she looks over Miyeon wearing a frilly little apron that she hasn’t seen before.

“You like it? I got it as a Christmas present.” Miyeon looks really happy as she stirs the sizzling food around in pan.

Minnie walks around Miyeon, pretending to give the apron a good inspection. “Yeah, it’s cute … but it’d be better if it was the only thing you were wearing.”

“Yah.” Miyeon stomps and points her spatula toward Minnie’s face. “Kim Minnie, byuntae.”

“I’m just stating the truth.” Minnie laughs while dodging the spatula. “Don’t threaten me with violence.”

“I won’t give you any food then.” Miyeon covers the pan with a lid and pushes Minnie away.

“Then I’ll be so hungry …” Minnie pouts and bats her lashes, a move that almost always works with Miyeon.

After thinking for a split second, Miyeon smirks. “I have something else you can eat …” Her eyebrows waggle suggestively while Minnie feigns a shock expression.

“Cho Miyeon, byuntae.” Minnie copies Miyeon’s word before both of them bursts into laughter.

“Alright, food’s ready. Give me your bowl.” Miyeon uncovers the pan and scoops up some food into Minnie’s bowl. Using some left overs, she’s made kimchi fried rice for Minnie. They came to Miyeon’s place after work and exchanged presents, then just started watching movies until late at night. When they got hungry, Miyeon offered to cook for Minnie, something that she seldom does. Miyeon can cook, she’s just too lazy to cook. They usually order takeout or delivery.

“Oooh, it looks good too.” Minnie exclaims when Miyeon hands her the bowl. She grabs her spoon and tries to dig in, when she suddenly realizes that she should probably wait for Miyeon, too. 

Sensing Minnie’s hesitance, Miyeon motions for her to go ahead. “I’m getting mine right now.” She is happy that Minnie is excited to eat her food.

With the permission given, Minnie immediately scoops up a spoonful and stuffs it in . She chews happily while her eyes glances around, as if she’s judging the taste of the food.

“And?” Miyeon asks impatiently after Minnie has chewed for what seems to be an eternity.

“It needs some more salt.” Minnie answers honestly before taking another bite.

Miyeon huffs before taking a bite of her own. “What do you mean it needs some more salt?” She questions after swallowing her food. “It’s plenty salty.” The salt from the kimchi was already more than Miyeon usually eats. 

“You know that I like to eat salty.” Minnie answers after another bite.

“You’re going to have hypertension by the time you turn fifty. Not to mention you’ll wake up all puffy and bloated.” Miyeon watches the way Minnie is eating with so much gusto, despite complaining about the lack of salt.

“That’s for fifty year old me to worry about. And you’re the only one I’m waking up with, I don’t see you complaining.” It’s Minnie’s time to smirk.

“I think it’s good just the way it is.” Miyeon watches Minnie finish the bowl in record time. “And why did you complain about the taste when you stuffed your face with it.”

“It tasted good, just needed more salt. Thank you for the food.” Minnie her lips and leans toward Miyeon, trying to kiss the chef, only to be denied by Miyeon’s hand. 

“Please brush your teeth first. You just ate.” Miyeon turns Minnie’s cheek away with a slight push.

“But you’re eating too!” Minnie protests the sudden denial.

“Don’t try to kiss me while I’m eating.” Miyeon laughs as Minnie’s face presses against her hand.

“Yah!” Minnie yelps.

“Pack this up and then wash the dishes, okay?” Miyeon motions to the dishes in the sink.

“Huh?” Minnie wonders how she got here, to be put on dishwashing duty.

“We split the work now, you’re not a guest anymore.” Boss Miyeon has appeared.

“What?” Minnie’s eyes and mouth widen at the same time.

“You heard me.” Boss Miyeon don’t play.

“But, Miyeon!” Minnie complains, but because she’s a good girl, she does her assigned work regardless. Rolling up her sleeves, she moves all the dirtied dishes into the sink. “… I’ll do the dishes, but you’ve gotta give me a kiss, okay?” She tries to compromise.

Miyeon scrunches her face in disgust, “You have to brush your teeth first.” She puts her finished bowl into the sink along with everything else.

“What’s with all the demands for a kiss?” Minnie complains as she turns on the faucet. “Are you playing hard to get now?”

Miyeon laughs and stands behind the hardworking Minnie. She wraps her arms around her waist and leans her cheek into the base of Minnie’s neck. “No, you know you’ve already got me.” She tightens her embrace and breathes Minnie’s scent deeply into her lungs. 

“Oh …” Minnie loves the way Miyeon’s body feels like it molds around hers. “Well, you’ve got me, too.” 

“Well, finish the dishes and brush your teeth … then I’ll give you that kiss you’ve been asking for.” Miyeon gently pecks Minnie’s shoulder before giving her a nice swat on her . 

Minnie smiles, suddenly having the pep to work a little harder and a little faster. “Yes ma’am!”