Autumn Letter

Falling, Fallen

The excitement is palpable in all the resident offices and lounges. Halloween has come and gone. As November stretches, everyone’s attention turns to the annual residents trip toward the latter half of the month. It is a weekend where residents from all departments are given a chance to go on a camping trip to promote interdisciplinary teamwork. A lot of the attendings and other part-time physicians will get called in for coverage. Not everyone is required to go, of course, there still has to be doctors at the hospital. Some residents choose not to go due to personal limitations or other life commitments.

“I checked the weather, it looks like it will be a nice sunny weekend.” Soyeon holds up her phone for Yuqi, Soojin, and Shuhua to see. “It will be a little chilly, though, so pack some warm clothes.” She reminds everyone, as well as herself.

“I can’t wait to sit around a fire and roast some marshmallows.” Yuqi dreamily looks out the cafeteria window. “It’s going to be amazing.”

“I’ll bring some meat to grill for lunch since dinner is provided.” Soojin puts away hers and Shuhua’s empty lunch containers. “Anything else you girls would like to eat?”

“Anything you make is going to be good, Soojin-unnie.” Shuhua dabs her lips, having just finished the food that Soojin made. She brings out a container of pre-cut apples and pears to share with everyone else. “Grilling outdoors will be the best.”

“Okay.” A small, please smile spreads across Soojin’s lips. “I’ll bring meat and veggies to grill.”

Soyeon crinkles her nose at the mention of vegetables, making Yuqi point at her and laugh. “Stop it.” Soyeon frowns and snaps her teeth at Yuqi’s pointing finger. “Yuqi and I were thinking of bringing things to make budae-jjigae.” 

“That sounds good, especially when it’s colder at night.” Soojin nods approvingly.

“Of course, we’ll need your culinary expertise to help make it.” Yuqi adds.

“What should I bring?” Shuhua wants to be helpful as well. 

“Drinks and snacks would be good … and instant rice. Don’t forget that.” Soyeon takes charge with the planning.

“Okay.” Shuhua makes a note of things to shop for on her phone.

“The campground we’re going to will have tents and basic things like chairs and tables. We’ll have to get propane canisters, lamps, sleeping bags …” Soojin makes notes aloud. “I’ll make a list and send it to you guys so we can make sure we’re bringing everything.”

“Oh, that’s right. You went last year, right?” Yuqi is happy that they have Soojin, who is both responsible and experienced.

“Yeah, it was my first year. I went with Minnie and Miyeon.” Soojin quietly mentions the two missing members of their group. All four pairs of eyes lower at the same time.

“How is Minnie-unnie doing?” Shuhua turns too Yuqi. “It feels like she’s been avoiding me, too.” Without saying, Minnie is definitely avoiding Miyeon.

Yuqi scratches her ear before shaking her head. “She’s been very quiet, rounds are fine because we just discuss patient treatment. But when we’re in the office together, she only really respond to work questions.”

Soyeon pats Yuqi’s back, knowing how much Yuqi enjoyed talking to Minnie before.  “How’s Miyeon?” She turns to Soojin, knowing that they talk the most. It’s hard to run into Miyeon because she’s over at the Children’s Hospital most of the days. When the eldest doesn’t want to be found, it’s quite hard to find her since none of the other girls know the Children’s Hospital that well.

“She’s fine, or so she said.” Soojin blinks, trying to think of messages from Miyeon. “She said she’s been busy because her attendings are chaperoning the fall trip, so they’ve put her in charge of some of the planning.”

“Oh. She has multiple attendings, too?” Shuhua blinks, she never really ask Miyeon about herself.

“She has two. They alternate every other week.” Soojin nods.

They’ve been missing both of their friends, who are avoiding the group as a whole. They all know that there is something going on between Minnie and Miyeon. But what can they do when both people are refusing to see each other.

“Soojin,” Soyeon looks directly at their current eldest, “what can we do for them?”

Soojin shakes her head, “I’m not sure myself. I’ve been trying to talk to both of them, but they’re being really stubborn.”

“Do you think they will drop out of the fall trip?” Shuhua lowers her eyes, looking a little sad. She wants the whole group to have lots of fun together.

Soojin looks at Yuqi, “Can you talk to Dr. Kim? Minnie will listen to her, ask her to make Minnie go for her own good.”

Yuqi hesitates, thinking whether she could make such a request of Dr. Kim or not. “I’ll ask, I think she’ll do it if it’s for Minnie’s own good.”

“Miyeon is helping plan it and her attendings are chaperoning so definitely she’ll have to go.” Soyeon nods, thinking about the situation some more.

“Two of my attendings are going to be chaperoning, too.” Shuhua adds.

“So what are we thinking? An intervention?” Yuqi looks at all her friends.

“I’m not sure, let’s make that a back up plan?” Soyeon looks at Soojin, as if waiting for her advice.

“Knowing them, they would hate that and it might blow up in our faces … we should divide and conquer first.” Soojin helps strategize.

“I can talk to Minnie-unnie.” Shuhua volunteers for Team Minnie, as expected.

“You two have gotten close very quickly, huh?” Yuqi says with a hint of jealousy, after all, Minnie is her resident.

“So it’s decided, Shuhua and Yuqi will talk to Minnie. Soyeon and I will talk to Miyeon.” Soojin tries to keep the girls on task and also to give Shuhua an out.

“So … Team Korean versus Team Foreigners?” Yuqi asks with a raised brow.

“Not versus, we’re working together … it’s actually us versus Minnie and Miyeon.” Soyeon pats Yuqi’s back again.

Between their four brilliant minds, they’ve decided that they’re going to make sure Minnie and Miyeon get past this awkward time. That’s how lunch goes for most of the rest of the week. They either plan for the trip or talk about how to bring Minnie and Miyeon together.

 

 

“How about this one?” Yuqi holds up a display sleep bag for Soyeon to see. “It looks warm and it packs into a small bundle.”

“Yeah, that looks good. What do you think about this lantern?” Soyeon shows Yuqi her find. “It’s rechargeable by solar power and it’s really bright.”

“I like it. Is one enough?” Yuqi turns the light on, but in a bright store like they are in currently, the brightness is not apparent. 

“I think so, it is five thousand lumens … plus, we still have to buy hiking shoes and food.” Soyeon gently reminds Yuqi about their budget that they both agreed to stick to.

Yuqi’s brows knit together for a moment, as if she’s deciding something, before she nods. “Just one is enough, I want to splurge a little on the shoes.” After all, it’s the first time that she’s been on a camping and hiking trip. She didn’t get a chance to do it when she was little and when she got older, outdoor activities were never on top of her priority list.

“Let’s go look at the shoes?” Soyeon carries the lamp and one of the sleeping bags while Yuqi carries the other. 

Yuqi nods happily and follows Soyeon to the shoes department in the recreation equipment store. They came here because neither has any outdoor equipment to bring on the trip. “If this trip turns out well, we can go often since it’s cooler now?” 

“Mhm.” Soyeon nods by not really paying attention. 

“You know? We can turn into outdoorsy people, like living off the land and everything.” Yuqi verbalizes her day dream.

“Uh huh.” Soyeon picks up a random thing here or there as she walks through the store. 

“You can explore places we haven’t been before, there’s so much to see. We could learn to mountain climb …” Yuqi continues.

“That’s cool …” Soyeon holds up a mosquito lamp. 

“Are you listening to me?” Yuqi gently hits Soyeon on the arm.

Suddenly Soyeon drops her arm as if it is going limp, “Ahhh …” Soyeon hisses as if she’s been gravely injured and she’s holding her arm close to her body while moving away from Yuqi, “I can’t move my arm.”

Yuqi is surprised at first, but then rolls her eyes and folds her arms across her chest. “Dramatic much?”

“I don’t think I’ll be able to be a surgeon anymore, Yuqi-ah.” Soyeon hisses and swings her arm back and forth as if it is broken. “I can’t feel it.”

“Okay, you can stop now. I didn’t even hit you that hard!” Yuqi laughs and pokes Soyeon’s arm. “Are you that brittle?”

“Ouch!” Soyeon pretends to be hurt by the poke. “I think you just broke a bone.” 

Yuqi laughs loudly and shakes her head, “Why are you like this?”

Soyeon grins when she’s able to make Yuqi laugh and shrugs before moving on to the shoe section.

“What? That was it?” Yuqi follows Soyeon and smacks her in the with the sleeping bag bundle.

“I’m not dramatic like you, Yuqi-ah.” Soyeon holds up a pair of shoes, “How do you feel about these?”

“Eh … no.” Yuqi shakes her head, “Those don’t look good.”

“What? They look just fine.” Soyeon puts the shoes back down and pouts. “You never listen to me.”

“Omo, don’t try to coerce me into liking those.” Yuqi walks past the pair that Soyeon had picked and looks around at some other brands.

“I never coerce you.” Soyeon follows Yuqi around.

“Right, you just forcefully choose for me.” Yuqi points at a pair that she likes.

“Those are expensive.” Soyeon taps on the price.

“But it’s worth it if I don’t get a blister or something …” Yuqi looks more closely at the expensive ones.

“But it’s almost twice as expensive as the pair I showed you.” Soyeon argues.

“But these have better ankle support than the ones you showed me.” Yuqi lists a pro for the argument’s sake.

“But not twice the amount of support for the price.” Soyeon retorts.

They go back and forth for a little while before one of the store’s staff came by to check on them due to the volume of their voices. Eventually, Yuqi relents and gets the cheaper pair as suggested by Soyeon. With the money that they save, Soyeon said she can pick up one miscellaneous thing that she likes. In the end, Yuqi is a happy girl nonetheless.

 

 

“Is this going to be enough?” Soojin checks off the boxes on her packing list. She checks it twice as she takes inventory of everything she has laid across her kitchen counter.

“There’s enough meat here to feed six people …” Soojin notes.

“There’s enough rice to feed at least eight people …” Soojin remembers how much Shuhua loves rice. “But is that enough?” She asks no one in particular.

“I’ve got her favorite watermelon drink, too.” Soojin pats the pack of drinks.

Soojin makes sure none of the food item contains strawberries, Shuhua’s least favorite food.

“Wait a minute …” Soojin pauses and frowns to herself, “why do I care what she likes or not?” 

She puts her pen and paper down, “Have I gone crazy?”

“Oh no no no …” Soojin holds her head in her hands and shakes vigorously, “Wake up, Soojin. Get a grip of yourself!”

 

 

“Stripes or no stripes?” Shuhua looks between the two items in her hands. “No stripes or stripes?” She repeats for the umpteenth time.

“Miss …” A young man walks up to her, he’s wearing the store’s uniform, “May I be of assistance?”

Shuhua looks at him for a moment then shakes her head, “Not unless you’re Seo Soojin.”

“Um …” The young man is thoroughly confused.

“Or unless you can tell me which she’d prefer.” Shuhua continues to compare and contrast the two items, no longer paying any attention to the store attendant.

The young man looks back to his supervisor with a difficult expression. His supervisor, a middle aged woman, is signaling for him to help Shuhua quickly because she’s inconveniencing other customers. Shuhua has been standing there asking herself the same question for almost fifteen minutes. However, the young man shrugs with his hands up because Shuhua has chosen to ignore him. His supervisor shakes her head and points him to a pair of customers, who are debating between hiking shoes.

“Stripes or no stripes?” Shuhua takes longer to decide this than when she decide between patient treatment plans.

 

 

“Just be cool, Miyeon … take a deep breath … don’t look over there …” Miyeon repeats the mantra to herself. She keeps her head high and her strides quick as she makes her way through the Main Hospital. She could see Minnie out the corner of her eyes, but she’s refusing to acknowledge that presence.

Miyeon has been avoiding the group, especially Minnie, for the better part of two weeks. Not that Miyeon is trying to be rude to her friends, but it’s all more than she can handle right now with her patient load and her part in planning for the fall trip. Miyeon is overloading herself with work and tasks so she wouldn’t have to deal with her complicated feelings.

After deciding that she’s important too, Miyeon continues to not look in the direction of Minnie. She knows that one look and those dark eyes will pull her back in. Miyeon promises herself that she’s not going to get trapped by those soulful eyes and adorable smiles anymore. If Minnie wants her, Minnie will have to appreciate and initiate. “I’m important, too.” Miyeon repeats and continues her model strut toward her destination.

 

 

“Don’t engage, Minnie … let her calm down first … this isn’t the time nor place …” Minnie’s stubborn eyes continue to follow Miyeon. It definitely doesn’t help that Miyeon looks so good strutting across the hospital lobby like it’s a catwalk. Look at the way her loose, tussled waves are flowing and bouncing behind her. Look at how her hips sway in that pencil skirt. Look at … “Stop looking, Minnie.” She tells herself.

Sharply, Minnie turns on her heels and looks away, but unable to walk away. She’s been avoiding the group, especially Miyeon, for the better part of two weeks. Not that Minnie is a coward for avoiding this awkward situation, but there’s a lot of self-conflict in her thoughts right now. She knows that she should apologize, but she doesn’t feel like she need to apologize. There is nothing wrong with wanting to work on her own problems first, Minnie wouldn’t want to drag Miyeon into her complicated issues and possibly jeopardizing their friendship. But, Minnie knows that she’s hurt Miyeon deeply and that makes her feel ashamed.

The other girls have been contacting Minnie constantly, but other than Yuqi, she has made minimal attempt to talk to them. This is why Minnie doesn’t like to make friends during residency. People leave after residency anyways. Not everyone will stay here at CUBE. Why make friends and go through this complicated mess, if they’re going to leave later? “You’re stronger than this.” Minnie tells herself that she can make it through all this.

 

 

“Good morning, Soojin-unnie.” Shuhua chirps happily as she meets Soojin by her car. She’s dressed warmly in outdoor clothing.

“Good morning.” Soojin smiles slightly before getting out of the driver’s seat to open the tailgate for Shuhua’s luggage.

“This is not your usual car.” Shuhua makes her observation as she loads the back with her things. Soojin is currently driving a bright yellow Jeep instead of her sports car.

“I borrowed it from … uh … a friend.” Soojin seems to deliberate on her words. “For the trip.” She closes the gate before getting back into the vehicle with Shuhua riding shotgun.

“I like it, I’ve never been in a Jeep before … and this is perfect for a camping trip.” Shuhua fastens her seatbelt before turning to stare at driver Soojin. 

Soojin is pretending not to notice the stare as she scrolls through her messages to get the address for Yuyeon’s apartment. Since she is the current eldest and the only person with a driver’s license out of the four, Soojin has been designated as the driver. Soojin enjoys driving so she doesn’t complain about the assignment. It’s nice having the girls in one car, hopefully they’ll like her music choices. Soojin has always been sensitive about her music choices when it comes to her riders. Minnie was always about the sad songs. Miyeon liked the pop tunes. Soojin prefers a nice mixture. Shuhua doesn’t seem to have any complaint as they travel toward Yuyeon’s apartment. In fact, she seems to be bobbing along to the beat while staring out the window instead of Soojin for a change.

“Oooh … I like this song.” Yuqi compliments as she gets into the car while Soyeon finish loading their things into the back. 

“Thanks for driving, Soojin.” Soyeon shows her gratitude with a gentle pat on Soojin’s shoulder.

“No problem.” Soojin looks back to see that both Yuqi and Soyeon are buckled in. “Alright, looks like it’ll be about two hours to the campground. If you guys want to change music or have a bathroom stop, let me know.” She’s a pretty good car-hostess after all.

“Aye aye, captain!” Yuqi’s loud voice cuts above the music.

Soyeon does a slight salute and smiles, “Cap’n.”

Soojin rolls her eyes while Shuhua giggles. The youngest turns around and looks at her friends, “You guys are acting more and more alike now that you live together.”

“That’s not … well, yeah.” Soyeon started to disagree but then changes her mind.

“Yeah, you guys are totally giving off the old married couple vibe.” Shuhua pushes it just a tiny bit, making Soyeon give her a signature Soyeon-side-eye.

“Yah. How could you be so rude?” Yuqi smacks that back of Shuhua’s seat. “We aren’t that old.” 

Soojin grins at Yuqi’s inadvertent admission that they are like a couple.

The start of the drive is pretty relaxing. Soojin is chilling to her music and answering to questions or comments pertaining to her. She enjoys her drive more once she gets out of the city and onto the highway. Shuhua is talking with Yuqi between variety of topics from music to movies to TV shows. Soyeon jumps in when she feels like it, but most of the times she has one earphone in. 

“So how’d  Dr. Kim make Minnie-unnie come on the trip?” Shuhua looks back at Yuqi through the rearview mirror. “She finally replied to me yesterday that she’s coming.” 

Yuqi smiles knowingly and savors the knowledge that only she knows. “Oh … well …” She drags out the answer and looks around the car, seeing if everyone is giving her their attention. “You see, Dr. Kim said that she would make sure Minnie would sit out on surgeries for the rest of her year. It’s not true you know? She’s too nice to enforce that, but I think it scared Minnie.”

Everyone is silent for a few seconds before Soyeon pipes up, “That’s it?” She paused her music for this?

“Well … yeah?” Yuqi turns to her friend, “It’s very important to a neurosurgeon like Minnie, okay?”

Soyeon’s eyebrows rise up as her eyes widen, “Okay … you dragged it out like you had something good to tell.” 

Shuhua nods. “Yeah, like it was at least interesting or funny.”

“What? It’s interesting!” Yuqi helplessly looks between her friends, who all seem bored with her story. “You guys are the worst.”

Soojin smiles at Yuqi’s attempt to look mad, her cheeks just puff out and her lips just pout a tiny bit, she looks so much like a squirrel. The younger women teases Yuqi some more before they start to bicker between each other. Soojin wonders if this is what motherhood feels like because she’s living the minivan and soccer mom life right now. Between Soojin’s daydreaming and listening to the girls, their destination arrived before they knew it. “Look at that, not even one pit stop.” Soojin says as she slams the door closed on her side.

“Oooh … so many cars already.” Yuqi hops out of the Jeep and looks around.

“It’s so pretty here.” Shuhua pulls out her phone to take a picture of the scenery.

“It looks just like the pictures.” Soyeon refers to the pictures on the pamphlets that they received.

The crisp autumn air is refreshingly chilly in the early morning. The campground is part of the Seoraksan National Park. Its current state is a stunning display of a myriad of autumn colors. Within the national park, there are Buddhist temples and many great hiking trails. This is one of its busier seasons as the temperature drops to a pleasant degree and the trees are changing their wardrobe. Fallen leaves and gravel crunch beneath Soojin’s boots with each steps she takes. “I’ll go check us in.” The current eldest announces as she sticks her hands into her jacket.

“I’ll come with you, Soojin-unnie.” Shuhua volunteers and hurries to hook her arm with Soojin’s.

“I … guess we’ll unload the car …” Soyeon looks at the departing figures then up at the top of the Jeep, where the cargo rack is also loaded with luggage and items. “How am I going to get up there?” Soyeon tilts her head back and balks at the feat. Being the shortest person in most situation has its disadvantages sometimes.

“Don’t worry, Soyeonnie. We’ve got this.” Yuqi cheerfully grabs Soyeon’s shoulders and give her a gentle shake. “I’ll give you a boost.”

“Go away, Yuqi-ah. You’re giving me shaken brain syndrome.” Soyeon pretends to pull away from Yuqi, only to be pulled back against the taller woman.

“I’m basically give you a shoulder rub.” Yuqi laughs and shakes Soyeon some more.

“Ah … you’re hurting me.” Soyeon pretends that Yuqi’s touch is anything but gentle and playful.

When Soojin and Shuhua come back to the Jeep, they find that their two friends are still playing and nothing has been unloaded from the car.

 

 

 Currently, the group is at the base camp ground that has many trails leading up or around the mountain. The main HQ tent is a big, white almost dome sitting near the parking lot for everyone to check in. There are several volunteers as well as the four chaperone attendings to make sure things run smoothly and efficiently. The schedule is to start with a short hike to one of the upper campgrounds and rest there for the night. In the morning, they will make a longer hike around a lake before making their way back down to the base campground. The group is responsible for carrying smaller packs and things up the trail. Bulkier items or luggage will be portered by vans and trucks to the next destination for them.

“Hey! You guys made it.” Miyeon comes up to the girls after they’ve finished unloading their things. She’s holding a clipboard in her hands. “How was the drive?”

The four women exchange looks for a split second before they nod at Miyeon. “It was good.” Soojin replies with a small smile.

“Yah, you ignored us for like two weeks and now you’re acting like nothing happened?” That wasn’t supposed to happen. Shuhua is not one to pretend, though.

Miyeon’s cheeks deepen into a crimson color while she shakes head, “That’s not true. I wasn’t avoiding you guys.” Well, half-true since she was avoiding them in conjunction with a certain someone.

“We know.” Soojin tries to cut in before Shuhua say something else that might be harsher. “But it hurts still.”

“I’m sorry.” Miyeon lowers her gaze, she’d expected them to be mad but not this mad. She’d thought that they’d understand.

“Just don’t do it again.” Soyeon smiles as she comes up to Miyeon. “We missed you, that’s all. Right, Shuhua?”

Shuhua pouts before shrugging. “No. I didn’t miss Miyeon at all.” She replies in true Shuhua fashion, causing Miyeon to half smile.

“When did you get here, Miyeon?” Yuqi changes the subject.

“Since yesterday.” Miyeon is thankful for cheerful Yuqi and thoughtful Soyeon. “Since my attendings are in charge, along with two of Shuhua’s attendings, I had to come up early to make sure things are in place.”

“Oh, where’s your stuff?” Yuqi looks around the campground. 

“I’m set up near the HQ tent right now.” Miyeon points at the biggest tent around, it looks more like a yurt. “We have first aid, information, and some emergency supplies in there if you need anything. My tent is a few steps to the right of it. I have to go pack up in a little bit. But if you need extra items or something, I can hook you up.”

“Don’t try to bribe us, Cho Miyeon.” Soojin gives her a slight side-eye as Miyeon tries to hug her.

“Yah. Watch where you’re touching.” Shuhua rushes to Soojin’s side to push Miyeon away.

“No no. Bribe away.” Yuqi rushes to make a dramatic motion to hug Miyeon, “I love to be bribed.” 

“Ouch, watch me hair … Yuqi you’re pulling my hair!” Shuhua yells, temporary deafening both Soojin and Miyeon who are closest to her. Somehow Shuhua’s hair has gotten caught between Yuqi’s fingers in Yuqi’s haste to hug Miyeon.

“Ooops, sorry.” Yuqi sheepishly smiles and pulls away from Miyeon, pretending like she didn’t do anything wrong. She shakes Shuhua’s hair loose from her hand before returning to where she was standing.

Soyeon chuckles and watches the group gets all tangled up. A movement at the corner of her eyes cause her to turn her head to look at Minnie, who’s watching with a blank expression. Soyeon smiles brightly, stepping forward and making an attempt to call out to Minnie. However, before the words could leave her lips, she sees Minnie turn around and walk the other way. A frown quickly replaces her smile and she turns back to her squabbling friends, but none have noticed the presence of the other woman. “Arrgh.” Soyeon frustratingly scratches her head and tousles her hair. 

 

 

“Alright, listen up people.” A loud voice rise above the cacophony of voices, causing everyone to quickly quiet down. All the residents have gathered out in front of the large HQ yurt for a quick welcoming session. In front of the tent stand four people, attendings to be exact.

“My name is Ahn Hyejin. This is Jung Wheein.” A dark haired woman with sharp cheek bones motions between herself and a blue haired woman. “We’re from the pediatric oncology department.” She stops and turns to the other two woman.

“My name is Kim Hyoyeon. This is Kwon Yuri.” A platinum haired woman with foreign features motions between herself and a tan dark haired woman. “We’re from the general surgery  department.” She looks at Dr. Ahn before nodding. “We’re going to be chaperoning this year’s fall camping and hiking trip.”

“The purpose of this trip is not to vacation, but to build interdisciplinary teamwork between surgical and medical residents as well as between departments.” Dr. Jung motions toward Miyeon. “In addition to us four, Cho Miyeon will be our resident liaison.”

“So go find her if you have any question or problem.” Dr. Kwon nods and points to Miyeon as well, causing people to chuckle softly. 

“She’s not kidding. We’re only here to chaperon, you all are medical professional and grown adults. So don’t expect us to hold your hands through everything. Find Miyeon first. We’re your last resort.” Dr. Kim makes it clear for everyone.

Dr. Jung motions to Miyeon, who starts handing out group assignment, causing everyone to audibly groan.

“What did we just tell you?” Dr. Ahn raises her voice again, “This is to build interdisciplinary teamwork, so you’ll be paired with someone not within your specialty. If you’re looking to just vacation with your friends, then I’ll be happy to send you home and call all your chiefs to explain what happened.” This is a lady who doesn’t have time or patience for whining. She takes care of sick children, grown adults will have to be more impressive than this.

“Look over the group assignments. You’re partnered in groups of two or three, so find your partners. Whenever you’re ready you can leave, we will space the groups in two to three minutes intervals to not crowd the trail.” Dr. Kwon closes the welcoming speech and dismisses everyone to find their partners.

 

 

“What? No!” There is a loud protest coming from Shuhua, causing everyone to look in her direction. Unabashed, Shuhua turns to Soojin to show her the group assignment sheet. “We’re not together, Soojin-unnie!”

Soojin looks at her with minor interest before putting one arm around Yuqi’s shoulders, “Right. Because Yuqi and I are together.” Shuhua screams in exasperation while Yuqi puts her hands on her cheeks.

“Soojin-unnie, please be gentle with me.” Yuqi plays up the timid act.

“I’ll take good care of you, Yuqi-ah.” Soojin points to her backpack. “I’ve brought a lot of good snacks for us to share.” Now she’s going out of her way to make Shuhua want to kill Yuqi.

“Don’t worry, Shuhua-ah.” Miyeon comes up to the group with her sweet smile plastered on. “I’ll take even better care of you.”

“AHHHHH!” Shuhua loudly and angrily screams. “Not you!”

“Yah, why are you being so mean?” Miyeon tries to catch the escaping Shuhua, who is running circles around the other girls.

Once again, Soyeon is the only one not participating in the wildness. She looks at the way that Soojin’s arm is casually resting on Yuqi’s shoulders, but she doesn’t say anything. Instead, she searches the document in her hand to find that she’s been partnered with Minnie, who is actually walking up to her right now.

“Hey.” Minnie says casually. She has on the same double braids that she had from Halloween, minus the spikes. Maybe it’s because Minnie has long legs, but she looks extra sporty in her outdoor clothes. Right now, she’s ignoring the crazy chase that is happening not too far away from them. Nobody else has noticed her yet since they are being obnoxiously loud right now.

“Hi.” Soyeon waves to Minnie. “Long time no see.”

“Yeah, it’s been a minute.” Minnie tries to smile, but immediately she could feel four pairs of eyes on her. Taking a deep breath, she turns around and waves at the other four women. “Hiya.”

They look at each other then at Minnie again. Shuhua is the first to come up and give Minnie a hug. “I’ve missed you, Minnie-unnie.”

Soojin waves at Minnie while Yuqi come up to push Shuhua out of the way. “She’s mine!”

“Yah! You already got Soojin-unnie!” Shuhua pushes back, not enough to hurt Yuqi.

“But she’s my resident.” Yuqi greedily hugs Minnie’s arm to her chest. “Mine!”

“Ugh! I can’t stand you right now!” Shuhua pouts and stomps right back to Miyeon, who is giving Minnie the cold shoulder. 

Minnie, knowing that she’s getting the frozen treatment, smiles at Soojin before turning back to Soyeon. “I’m ready to go when you are.” 

Soyeon is giving Minnie the strangest of look when Minnie’s words snap her out of her reverie. “Yes, we can all head out together.” 

Yuqi lets go of Minnie’s arm and pouts. “But I’m not ready to let you go yet.”

Minnie laughs and pinches Yuqi’s cheek. “We’ll see each other later, Yuqs. Let me borrow your Soyeon for a little bit, okay?”

Yuqi and Soyeon blushes as they glance at each other. They make little small waves and mouths ‘good luck’ to each other.

“Shuhua and I are going ahead.” Miyeon suddenly announces before scooping up her things. She grabs Shuhua’s hand and drags the younger woman along.

“Omo omo, let me get my stuff, lady …” Shuhua protests and grabs her things as she is dragged along. “I’ll miss you, Soojin-unnie!” She cries and turns back to look at Soojin. “Don’t miss me too much …”

Soojin laughs as Shuhua dramatically blows kisses her way. She turns to Yuqi, who’s still clinging to Minnie, “Let’s go Yuqi-ah.”

“Yes ma’am!” Yuqi salutes to her captain again before getting her things. “Minnie, Soyeon. You guys be careful out there.” 

“We’ll be right behind you, so don’t worry too much about it.” Soyeon waves as Soojin and Yuqi pass them by. When everyone has gone, she turns back to Minnie. “Let’s go, then?”

“Yeah.” Minnie smiles and nods before they both head out together.

It’s not a bad pairing for Minnie. She is in the mood to enjoy nature instead of talking right now. If anything, she feels bad for quiet Soojin to be stuck with her talkative intern. Lord knows that Yuqi can talk people’s ears off. She’s also definitely glad that she’s not partnered with Miyeon, but maybe Miyeon had planned it that way. They wait a few minutes after Soojin and Yuqi had left before starting up on the trailhead. 

“Ahem …” Soyeon clears as if she wants to say something.

Minnie looks over to the younger woman walking beside her. Soyeon has a beanie on, her short platinum hair peeking out beneath the woven cap. She looks smaller than usual since she’s carrying a large pack on her back. “If you want to say something, go ahead and say it.”

Soyeon looks at Minnie, whose bangs have grown to almost cover her eyes. “I was wondering how your drive up here was?” Soyeon usually doesn’t have a chance to speak with Minnie. If things had happened according to plans, it would be either Miyeon or Soojin with Minnie instead of her. 

“It was good.” Minnie answers and continues along the trail, which is ascending slowly. She drove up here alone, so it was a peaceful and quiet drive. 

“I see …” Soyeon is definitely not the person to do this job. “I rode with Yuqi, Shuhua, and Soojin here. Soojin drove.”

“Yeah, she’s the only one with the license.” Minnie nods.

“Yeah, since Miyeon came yesterday with her attendings.” Soyeon is sure to stare at Minnie after mentioning the unmentionable person.

“…” Minnie doesn’t respond. Instead she keeps walking, leaves and rocks crunching under her footsteps. 

Soyeon drops the topic for now. She’s trying to formulate another way to approach it without putting Minnie off.

 

 

“How do you think the other people are doing?” Yuqi offers some trail mix to Soojin. 

Soojin politely waves the snack off before shrugging, “I don’t know. It’s hard to tell with Minnie and Soyeon since they aren’t that close. No doubt Shuhua is being mean to Miyeon right now.”

Yuqi chuckles at Soojin’s estimation. “Sounds about right.” 

“How are you and Soyeon doing living together?” Soojin asks as she climbs some steps.

“We’re doing well, since we get along. She’s not the tidiest of people, but she’s not dirty or anything.”

“You guys do get along very well, ever since we first met I thought you guys were very close.” Soojin points at a tree root that’s sticking out so Yuqi wouldn’t trip on it.

“You could say that she’s my best friend. I’m lucky to have her working and living with me. Funny thing is I don’t get tired of her even if we’re together almost twenty-four-seven.” Yuqi chuckles and makes sure to avoid that tree root.

“Is there room for something more between you guys?” Soojin asks, but doesn’t look back at Yuqi.

Yuqi hesitates, watching Soojin’s back as the older woman walk further away. It takes a few moments for Soojin to realize that Yuqi is not following her. She turns back to a very confused looking Yuqi.

“What do you mean by that?” Yuqi asks with a small scowl.

Soojin curses herself for getting involved. This is not the couple she is meant to intervene for, but since she’s here she thought might as well give them a little push. She tells herself that she really should have minded her own business. “Um … you and Soyeon … I think you guys are cute together.”

“We’re friends.” Yuqi replies.

“I know. It was just me wondering out loud … you can disregard it.” Soojin shakes her head, “I didn’t mean anything by it.”

“Okay. Don’t let Soyeon hear that, I don’t want it to be awkward between us.” Yuqi has a serious side that appears once in a while. As she nears Soojin, she goes around the older woman to take the lead instead. “She’s really important to me.”

Soojin wants to point that out and put up neon signs of that being a reason why they could be more than friends. But, she’s done enough for the time being and she’s only got enough energy for one intervention on this trip. Soojin follows Yuqi for a few steps, noting the footing in front of her. Yuqi is walking rather quickly through the rocky terrain, making Soojin want to remind her to watch her steps.

“Yuqi …” As soon as the name leaves Soojin’s lips, Yuqi yelps as she falls to the ground. 

“Ouch!” Yuqi hisses and looks at her hands, which are scraped by the rocks. 

“Hey, I gotchu.” Soojin kneels next to her and looks over her hands. “Can you stand?”

Yuqi takes a deep breath and tries to stand, but there is a sharp pain shooting up from her right ankle, causing her to fall back down again. Tears form in her eyes as she shakes her head, “I think I twisted my ankle.”

“I’ll call for help … let’s scoot to the side and sit on this big rock here. I’ll take a look at it first.” Soojin helps Yuqi lift up and put weight on her left side instead.

 

 

“Wait for me, Shuhua.” Miyeon huffs as she tries to keep up with the stomping girl about ten feet ahead of her.

“No.” Shuhua childishly replies and turns around to frown at Miyeon. “You better keep up, Miyeon.”

“I’m trying, but you’re basically running on the trail.” Miyeon tries a take a deep breath to calm her racing heartbeats.

“I didn’t ask for you to be my partner.” Shuhua retorts, not even looking back this time.

“I know, but we’re still partners so be nicer to me.” Miyeon tries to reason with Shuhua, who becomes extra childish when she’s with Miyeon.

“You did this to yourself. I wanted to be with Soojin-unnie, but since you helped plan this whole thing you partnered yourself with me.” Shuhua is smarter than she acts sometimes. “Isn’t that right?”

Miyeon is at a loss for words, she didn’t think that Shuhua would figure it out or call her out so quickly. “So? You can stand to be apart from Soojin for a day or two.”

“That’s not the point, Miyeon.” Shuhua whips around, “you just wanted to avoid Minnie-unnie. So you decided to partner with me and that keeps me from hiking with Soojin-unnie. That’s selfish.” She’s not afraid to call it like it is.

Miyeon’s throat is stuck, she doesn’t know how to respond to that and her voice is at a loss. Her eyes begin to burn, maybe from the sun-sensitivity that she always had or maybe from the tears that are free flowing from her eyes. “Fine, I’m selfish. I’m a coward for wanting to avoid Minnie right now and I don’t want Soojin to talk to me about her, so I partnered myself with you. I thought you would understand.”

Seeing Miyeon cry makes Shuhua’s anger suddenly dissipate. She tilts her head back and sighs loudly. “I do understand, but I was really looking forward to hiking with Soojin-unnie.” With a big dramatic slump forward, Shuhua motions for Miyeon to follow her. “C’mon, I don’t want people to think that I’m being mean to you.” As if on cue, a pair of hikers come into view from around the bend. They must have been walking extra fast to pass the four other women.

“But you are being mean to me.” Miyeon sniffles and wipes her eyes with the back of her hands, making them redder and puffier. “I just wanted a freaking break.”

“Hey … hey …” Shuhua rushes to Miyeon’s side while the other hikers pretend to not notice them. “Uh … she’s got allergies … everything’s fine.” Shuhua awkwardly laughs but the strangers seem to only walk a little faster.

“No. Everything’s not fine.” Miyeon bawls louder.

“Okay. Okay. I got it.” Shuhua reaches for Miyeon’s hands, not allowing her to rub her eyes anymore. “I’m sorry I was mean to you okay?”

“You’re just saying it.” Miyeon turns away from Shuhua, as if she’s making it more difficult now that Shuhua has apologized.

“Ugh. You’re impossible.” Shuhua gripes. She starts to apologize again, but the notification tone from hers and Miyeon’s phones draw her attention to a message that Soojin’s sent to their group. “Oh … Yuqi twisted her ankle.” 

“What? Is she okay?” Miyeon sniffles and pulls her phone out to read for herself.

“Soojin called for help already, but I think we should go back to them.” Shuhua puts her phone in her pocket. 

“Yeah, that’s a good idea. I’ll let our chaperones know.” Miyeon says between sniffles, somehow distracted from her tears already.

“Okay. Here … have some water. All that crying is dehydrating.” Shuhua grabs Miyeon’s water bottle from Miyeon’s backpack and hands it to the older woman.

“Thank you.” Miyeon smiles a little. “See? It’s not so hard. You should’ve been nice from the start.” She opens the bottle and takes a little sip.

“Whatever.” Shuhua rolls her eyes, but when Miyeon rushes up to hold hands with her, she doesn’t resist.

 

 

“Let me see it.” Soyeon kneels down next to Yuqi. After she and Minnie received the group message, they hurried to meet with Soojin and Yuqi on the trail.

“Soojin’s looked it already, it’s swollen … ouch …” Yuqi hisses when Soyeon tries to move the joint even just a little in her examination.

“I’m sorry.” Soyeon’s face is full of concern.

“I can find some branches and fashion a splint … like in the movies.” Minnie suddenly suggests. She points to Yuqi’s shirt. “Can I tear your shirt into strips of bandages?”

“Yah!” Yuqi looks up at Minnie with wide open. “How can you make fun of me in this situation?”

Minnie looks down at Yuqi with a wide grin before patting Yuqi’s head. “I’m just messing with you, Yuqirin. I have some NSAIDs, do you want it?”

“No!” Yuqi swats Minnie’s hand from her head. “You made fun of me.” 

Soojin studies Minnie’s smile, it’s the kind of silliness that she is used to from Minnie. It’s nice to see that smile again. She reads the new reply from emergency services. “They said they’re on the way and should be here in fifteen minutes.”

Soyeon nods and gently pats Yuqi’s back. “I can’t believe that you injured yourself at the very beginning of this weekend.”

“It’s not my fault. I didn’t ask the tree roots and rocks to be in my way.” Yuqi pouts and argues unreasonably. 

Minnie smiles down at her pitiful intern before she catches Soojin looking at her. She stares back at her friend, only to earn an annoyed look and a “What?!” in response. As Minnie start to reply, she catches sight of Shuhua and Miyeon coming down from the upper trail. They’re holding hands.

“Why are they holding hands?” Yuqi verbalizes the knee-jerking reaction that both Soojin and Minnie share.

“Must’ve been a rewarding hike.” Soyeon chuckles as the two newcomers arrive at the group meet.

“Hey, how’s Yuqi doing?” Shuhua smiles at Soojin first, letting go of Miyeon’s hand when they come close.

“It’s bad, has to be amputated.” Soojin says without missing a beat, causing Yuqi to yell in protest. Grinning wickedly, Soojin continues. “You’re going to have to do it for her.” 

Shuhua laughs and shakes her head. “No thanks, I might cut off the wrong foot … then she would have none.” 

“I am NOT dead people. I am SUFFERING, though!” Yuqi desperately wants to get up to fight both Shuhua and Soojin, but Soyeon wraps her arm around Yuqi’s shoulders to keep the younger woman calm.

“What happened to your eyes?” Soojin asks while Minnie continues to stare at Miyeon’s red, puffy eyes.

“Allergies.” Miyeon smiles weakly and turns toward Yuqi, ignoring Minnie. “I hope they don’t try to take my eyes for that.”

A soft chuckle escape Shuhua’s lips, which is strange because she doesn’t usual find Miyeon very funny.

“You all don’t have to stay with me. I’ll be okay waiting for emergency services if you want to continue your hike to the next camp.” Yuqi tries to be strong in front of her tormenters. 

“I can stay with her.” Soyeon quickly adds. Yuqi shakes her head and tries to protest, but Soyeon cuts her off. “What if there are bears or wolves? It’s not safe to be alone out here.” Yuqi closes quickly before nodding shyly. “Okay …”

“No, we’re all staying here with you.” Shuhua decides, but her eyes look around at the older women for approval. When she gets the green light, she smiles happily as if she did something really good.

Yuqi looks at everyone before nodding again. “Thank you.”

They all stand around the trail for a little bit, explaining to passerby that they are okay and are in fact not congregating or loitering. Miyeon makes sure to stand as far away from Minnie as possible, still rubbing her eyes but now because of the dust and pollen. Soojin and Shuhua play fights as usual. Yuqi and Soyeon sits besides each other and talk about what they want to do for the rest of the trip. Before long, emergency service shows up as an older man with a black horse. He gives Yuqi the choices of going to the next camp or returning to base camp and going back home. Of course, Yuqi gets to ride the horse either way. Soyeon says she will stay with Yuqi no matter what. Soojin offers to take Yuqi home to rest, but Yuqi says she wants to continue on horseback as to not ruin the trip for both Soyeon and Soojin. After a lot of deliberation, they all agree with her. The older man leaves them with the horse and goes back to base camp.

“Doesn’t this horse remind you of someone?” Yuqi asks from her saddle.

“Who?” Soyeon asks without really looking at the horse even though she’s leading it.

“Minnie, with her bangs.” Yuqi laughs before she even finishes the sentence. In truth, the black horse does have very thick bangs between its ears.

“Yah! You want to die?” Minnie yells and pretends to try to pull Yuqi off the saddle. “Come down here so I can break your other ankle, too.”

Shuhua laughs but pulls Minnie off a screaming Yuqi. “Unnie, it’s okay. She’ll suffer more when it swell up more, don’t worry.”

Yuqi yells some more things at everyone, causing the group to laugh. They manage to keep their high spirit despite this major set back. No one wants to walk behind the horse because it leaves droppings quite frequently.

 

 

When they get to the upper campground, everyone else has arrived and picked out all the good spots for their tents. Fortunately, the girls are left with a plot of land that is actually enough for all their tents, it just doesn’t have a great view. They set up the tents rather quickly since the older women are experienced campers. Everyone has their own task to get lunch ready. Soojin and Miyeon are in charge of grilling the meat. Shuhua and Minnie are in charge of making soup from the instant package. Soyeon is in charge of setting the table and cooking the instant rice. Yuqi has to keep her foot elevated and rested.

Soojin coughs as smoke starts to billow up from the lit charcoal. Miyeon tries to fan the smoke away from her sensitive eyes, but they start to water again. Shuhua and Minnie are measuring out ingredients and chopping up vegetables. Soyeon is having no trouble making the rice at all. After setting the table, Soyeon goes over to Yuqi and sit next to her friend. 

“I like the smoky smell of the grill.” Yuqi smiles at Soyeon, who is examining her now blue-ish ankle.

“Mhm.” Soyeon nods as her brows knit together in concern. “Are you hurting anywhere else?”

“Why? Are you going to kiss my oo?” The words slip from Yuqi’s mouth before she realized what she just said.

Blushing, Soyeon shakes her head, “No. I’m just checking in case you’re not noticing it right now due to the ankle pain.” 

“Thank you.” They both blush deeply and lower their heads in unison.

Shuhua nudges Minnie, who turns to her with a questioning look, and juts her chin toward Yuyeon’s direction. “They’re cute together.” She whispers softly enough for Minnie to hear.

Minnie chuckles and nods along. “Yeah, they are.” 

Shuhua grins and winks at Minnie, “It’ll just be a matter of time.”

Minnie nods again before Miyeon’s gaze catches her eyes. She straightens her back and looks at Miyeon, who quickly turns away as if their eyes never met in the first place. “The smoke seems to be bothering them …” She points to the grilling team, who are coughing and rubbing their eyes.

“Yeah, I’ll see if they want me to take over …” Shuhua, the youngest, is trying to be the most gallant.

“Okay, let me know if they want to switch. We can take over for them.” Minnie takes pity on Miyeon’s red, irritated eyes.

Shuhua nods and goes over to the grilling team. “Hey. Do you guys want to switch? Minnie and I can take over.”

Soojin shakes her head but then immediately starts to cough. “I don’t know what kind of charcoal this is, it’s really smokey … it’s okay though. I got it … Miyeon, you can switch with Shuhua if you’d like.” She looks at Miyeon full of concern.

Miyeon’s eyes are bright eye in the pupils and around the edges. She could barely keep her eyes open. She alternates between squeezing them shut and rubbing at her eyes. “I’m okay …” She says with little confidence. 

Shuhua turns back to Minnie with a face of concern. She nods toward stubborn Miyeon, who continues to fan at the coal since the fire is not big enough for the grill yet. Shuhua’s eyes communicate a sense of urgency to Minnie, causing the older woman to reluctantly nod. After taking a deep breath full of confidence and courage, Minnie marches right up to Miyeon, who squints at her with surprise. Minnie reaches for Miyeon’s hand and pull the older woman away from the grill to the surprise of everyone in witness. 

“C’mon, let’s go to the faucet to wash your eyes.” Minnie pulls Miyeon along, not giving the older woman a chance to protest. Luckily, Miyeon is too vision impaired to be in a position to argue.

“Huh.” Shuhua smiles and turns to Soojin.

“Huh.” Soojin smiles back at her before starting to cough again. “My meat is going to be ruined by this cursed smoke.”

“Don’t worry, Soojin-unnie. I’m sure your meat is going to be delicious.” Shuhua compliments with a waggle of eyebrows and a wink.

“Yah!” Soojin curls her fist at the younger woman. “Go make your soup before I use this grill on you.”

Shuhua laughs and goes back to her own task.

To the side, Yuqi turns to Soyeon and nudges her, “They’re cute together.” To which, Soyeon nods wholeheartedly.

 

 

“You can let go of my hand now.” Miyeon states as she hear the faucet turn on. It’s just a faucet to the side of a small building used to store supplies. They have buckets and things nearby for campers to have access to clean water. 

Minnie immediately lets go of Miyeon’s hand. “Here … you should wash your eyes, the water is cold … it may help with the inflammation.” She steps aside for Miyeon to get closer to the water source.

Miyeon nods wordlessly and leans over toward the faucet to cup a bit of water in her hands. She puts the little bit of water to her eyes and blinks, trying to get the hydration in and whatever irritant out. After a few times, Miyeon’s eyes do feel a bit better. She turns the faucet off and tries to dab the water away from her cheeks with the sleeves of her jacket.

“Here, let me.” Minnie’s soft voice reminds Miyeon that the other woman is still watching her. Miyeon hesitates as a blurry Minnie gently dabs her sleeve over Miyeon’s cheeks. “Close your eyes.” Minnie says. Miyeon complies. She feels a gentle patting of Minnie’s jacket on her eyelids. 

When Miyeon opens her eyes again, she sees Minnie staring at her. The blurriness of her vision casts a halo effect around the Thai woman. Immediately, her cheeks warms and she direct her eyes downward. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.” Minnie says in a hoarse whisper. 

“Let’s get back …” Miyeon turns toward the group’s tents, but she feels a tug at her hand. It’s been captured by Minnie’s again.

“No. Let’s go for a walk.” Minnie tries to smile calmly, but her nervousness shows on her red cheeks.

“Minnie … this is not the place nor …” Miyeon starts to excuse herself, but Minnie’s grip remains firm.

“It won’t take long. We’ll just walk to the stream nearby and back.” Minnie is clearly not taking no for answer.

“Minnie …” Miyeon weakly resists but Minnie is already pulling her into the woods toward the burbling sound of the stream. She lets herself be pulled along, watching the back of Minnie’s head as they walk. The double braids really suit her.

“I miss you, Miyeon.” Minnie says after they get on a small path. “I really do.”

Miyeon doesn’t know how to reply to the admission. She missed Minnie, too. They have so much to discuss yet so little time and place to do so. The silence is almost deafening if not for the songs of birds above them and crackling of twigs under them.

“I know that I was wrong … not for needing time for myself, I won’t apologize for that.” Minnie turns back to glance at Miyeon, her dark eyes are dreamy and honest at the same time. Miyeon almost wish Minnie hadn’t turned away again. “But I was wrong for going to the concert and spending my birthday with someone else.” 

Miyeon tries not say the mean thoughts that are bubbling inside in her head. 

They pad down the narrow dirt path for a little while before the tree line breaks apart to reveal the gentle stream ahead. It is a really picturesque scene of fall foliage, water, and white rocks. Minnie still doesn’t let go of Miyeon’s hand when they reach their destination. Instead, she holds it tighter and walks with Miyeon along the stream. “I’m not trying to get you to forgive me right now, because I know that I was wrong … if you want to yell at me and let me have it … I understand.” 

The sudden maturity from Minnie is quite shocking to Miyeon, who remains speechless. She doesn’t attempt to pull her hand away, because the warmth from Minnie’s palm is so familiar and addictive. “What should I say?” She finally finds her voice. “That you made me feel sad and mad and disappointed and all these ugly feelings that I never wanted to experience with you?”

Minnie’s eyes are saddened, but she feels relieved that Miyeon is still willing to talk to her. “Yeah … you can say all that.”

“I want to say more than that, but it’ll only make me feel sad again.” Miyeon shakes her head.

“I’m sorry.” Minnie restates. “I was confused and really lost at that time. I …”

“You didn’t care about me or my feelings.” Miyeon cuts in.

“That’s not true.” Minnie shakes her head, trying to justify her past actions.

“Or you did care, but you chose to ignore?” Miyeon asks pointedly.

“I …” Minnie finds herself unable to formulate any cohesive thought. “I was a ty friend. I really was blocking … everything … out because I was hurting.”

“Minnie.” Miyeon reaches for Minnie’s cheek with her free hand. “I …” Is she ready for this? “I …” She stutters before finding resolution within herself, “I l-love you …” the finality of those words settle in after a frozen second, where Minnie’s eyes widen at the admission. “But, I want more than you are willing to give.”

Minnie shakes her head, her face is frozen in horror. “Miyeon …”

“Let me finish.” Miyeon stops Minnie from interjecting. “I want more than someone who puts herself before me every time … I’m tired of being the person to make the first move. Remember when we just became interns and you didn’t think anyone was worth making friends with because we’ll move on anyways? Remember how I had to persistently annoy you until you became my friend and then Soojin’s?”

Minnie’s wide eyes are staring into Miyeon’s. She doesn’t acknowledge the question, but Miyeon continues. “You’re always putting walls up. I love you.” It was easier this time around. “But I want a partner, someone I can share my life with … if you’re not ready to let anyone in … I can’t … I just can’t sacrifice myself like that. I …”

“No no no.” Minnie shakes her head when she sees more tears coming out of Miyeon’s eyes and streaming down her beautiful face. She reaches up to thumb the tear away from Miyeon’s cheek. “I’ve been getting counseling, learning to love myself and open up to people. I’m better, I promise. I need you in my life, Cho Miyeon.”

“We can be friends …” Miyeon’s reply is quickly silenced by Minnie’s lips against hers. She pulls back a bit, enough to breath Minnie’s name in a weak protest.

“Miyeon.” Minnie pulls Miyeon against her. “No more, I don’t want to be friends or friends with benefits anymore …” She swallows hard, adjusting her gaze from Miyeon’s lips to her eyes. “If you’ll give me one more chance … I’ll prove to you that I love you, too.” She smiles when she finally admits it to herself and Miyeon. “I … I really really really love you. If you think there’s even a tiny bit of hope that you’ll forgive me, please give me a chance.”

Miyeon’s mind is screaming with joy, all the the months of yearning for these words has culminated to this euphoria. Except, her heart is tight with anxiety and doubt, can someone really change that much with a few counseling sessions?

Sensing Miyeon’s hesitation, Minnie quickly adds. “I’ve loved you for a long time … I just … I was afraid I would hurt you. It was stupid of me, I know … but I was always afraid that I would lose you due to my confusing feelings. So I didn’t want us to be together … I used Somi’s … as a way to delay the discussion I knew you were wanting to have.” She lays it bare in front of Miyeon. “I know you may be mad at me right now, but I can’t let us just be friends anymore.”

“Where is this coming from?” Miyeon searches Minnie’s face, only seeing sincerity and honesty in those eyes.

“From all the courage that I have in this body. When you and Shuhua came from the trail and I saw your red eyes … I … I just couldn’t handle being the person who makes you cry anymore. It’s too much. I just want to be the person who makes you smile and laugh. I will be that person, if you allow me to be …”

Miyeon’s lips part slightly and her brows lift up as she flutters her lashes in realization. “Minnie … are you serious about this?”

“More serious than anything in my entire life.” Minnie nods with conviction. “I promise, you’re the only person I have ever … love. I didn’t know how to deal with that overwhelming feeling … to admit that I don’t think I could live without you in my life.”

“Pabo.” Miyeon shakes head. “You could’ve talked to me if you felt that way.”

“Yeah …” Minnie smiles when she sees the corner of Miyeon’s mouth lift up a bit. “I’m not very bright, obviously. But I’ve learned from my mistake, I promise.”

Miyeon couldn’t find any reason to reject Minnie. This is exactly what Miyeon had dreamed about for months. She has her reservation about Minnie’s unpredictability, but it is hardly an exaggeration when Miyeon says she loves Minnie with all her heart. It is very apparent that neither are willing to stay as friends now. And suddenly, all their feelings and conflicts in the past seems so trivial and unreal. The only real thing is the kiss that Miyeon presses onto Minnie’s lips. The only thing that matter is that they both share the same love and understanding now.

 

 

“Hey, they’re back.” Shuhua is the first to enthusiastically wave at Miyeon and Minnie. But, she is not the first to notice that they are holding hands and smiling as they return to the campsite. Everyone exchange looks before pretending to not to notice when the newly formed couple walks up to the table. 

“You guys were gone for a long time.” Soojin says without mentioning anything about what she’s seeing. They still haven’t let go of each other’s hand. “The food’s already done.” She pretends like nothing is different. It’s been a while since Minnie and Miyeon went to for the “eyewashing” so Soojin has finished grilling and plating the meat. Shuhua made a decent looking pot of soup, granted the instant package’s directions are very thorough. Soyeon has finished plating side dishes and the rice. Yuqi helped as the lunch manager.

“Yeah …” Minnie blushes, squeezing Miyeon’s hand a bit tighter, “We have something to say to you guys.”

“Oooooh … what is it?” Yuqi smiles from ear to ear, expecting a confirmation for something that everyone’s already deduced. “Did you get sunburned, Minnie? You’re a little red.”

Miyeon giggles and tries not to look anyone in the eyes.

“I’d say it’s more than just a little burn, should I get some aloe vera?” Soyeon slyly adds on the tease.

“C’mon, give me a break. I’m trying to be serious here.” Minnie protests in her whiny voice.

“Shhhh.” Shuhua puts her index finger on her lips, signaling for everyone to give Minnie a little break.

Soojin grins and gently pats Shuhua’s back as if saying she’s doing a good job. Everyone’s trying to hide their smile by pressing their lips together or looking somewhere else but the increasingly red Minnie and Miyeon.

“Um … so … Miyeon and I … aretogethernowandwewantyouguystobethefirsttoknow.” Minnie starts slow, but suddenly rushes through it all in one breath.

“Excuse me?” Soojin puts a hand to her ear. “I don’t think we heard you correctly.” Minnie curses that smug smile on Soojin’s face, as if she’s relishing in Minnie’s discomfort. Just she wait until her and Shuhua make their own announcement. Minnie silently vows to be ten times … no … a hundred times more annoying.

“I said.” Minnie grits her teeth as she sees all of them trying to choke back their laughter. “Miyeon and I are together now and we want you guys to be the first to know.” 

As the howls of laughter bellow out from the four most annoying people that Minnie currently know, Miyeon leans closer to Minnie and speaks for the first time. “Leave Minnie alone, guys.”

“So you can have her all to yourself?” Shuhua is not above making fun of Miyeon.

“We’re you guys fighting just a little while ago?” Yuqi adds. “Now you’re defending her?”

Soyeon is also not above adding to the fun. “That must have been SOME faucet, it washed away all the awkwardness between them.”

Miyeon stomps her foot in annoyance, even though she is smiling. Soojin has that knowing look on her face when she looks at Miyeon. “We’re happy for you guys.” She signals for the girls to stop teasing. “Come, sit down so we can eat. I’m starving. You guys can tell us about how you made up while we eat.”

Minnie’s stomach growls on cue as she finally looks over the food spread. She looks to Miyeon and smiles, “Okay. But we can’t tell you everything.”

Miyeon blushes and shakes her head.

Yuqi and Shuhua pretends to be gagging and making heaving noises.

 

 

The bonfire crackles as it grows. The light and warmth spread to the people sitting around Prometheus’ gift to mankind. They are sitting on logs that form a large circle. Miyeon sits with her head resting on Minnie’s shoulder while the younger woman holds a marshmallow over the fire. They look contentedly lost in their own world. Shuhua couldn’t help but be jealous of the new couple. She knows that they’ve known each other for a while and it’s been a long time coming, but they’re where she wants to be. She looks across the fire at Soojin, who is chatting and smiling with Soyeon about some heart transplant that they are looking forward to doing. 

The fire highlights just the right edges of Soojin’s features, coloring them a sensual orange hue. Shuhua could stare at Soojin all night and day, she can’t get bored of looking at the icy hot woman. Those red lips appear to be even redder right now. Her thoughts drift to how nice it would be to be able to touch Soojin without the older woman recoiling from her touch. It would be nice not to get pushed away as she go in for a hug. It would be more than nice for Soojin to not pretend to dislike Shuhua’s advances.

As if Shuhua’s gaze is burning Soojin’s face, the older woman turn to catch Shuhua’s stare. Soojin’s smile turns into a scowl. A y scowl, but a disapproving look nonetheless. Shuhua breaks eye contact and pretends to look away.

“You’re whipped.” Dr. Kwon Yuri gently nudges Shuhua’s right side with her elbow.

“What …” Shuhua pretends not to understand.

“She’s definitely whipped for that girl.” Dr. Kim Hyoyeon bumps shoulders with Shuhua’s left side. 

Squished in the middle, Shuhua vehemently shakes her head. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.” She is not going to have these two terrors trap her and . Out of Shuhua’s nine attendings, these two are the most playful and, might she say, evil of them all. They are at their worst together because they hype each other up and can double team anyone.

“Don’t be shy, tell us your troubles. We’re your favorite attendings right?” Dr.  Kim wraps her arm around Shuhua’s shoulders.

“We’re definitely more fun than the other seven weirdos.” Dr. Kwon pinches Shuhua’s cheek.

They’re annoying like older sisters who pick on their younger siblings. Shuhua tries to wiggle away, but is easily held back by the two very athletic women.

“Do you want us to go talk some sense into her?” Dr. Kwon whispers into Shuhua’s ear while looking in Soojin’s direction. “She can’t be teasing our favorite intern like this.”

“We could definitely put in a good word for you, Shuhua.” Dr. Kim shakes Shuhua’s shoulders. “What do you want me to tell her? That you’re whipped for her? That you’re an excellent lover?”

Shuhua groans and tries to push her two bullies of attendings. “Stop it. You’re embarrassing me!” She huffs as they squishes even tighter against her.

“But you’re our baby, if we don’t take care of you, who will?” Dr. Kwon laughs and ruffles Shuhua’s hair. “We will scare away any of her other suitors and make sure you’re the only one.”

“Other suitors?” Shuhua’s eyebrow rise just a hair.

“Yeah, your girl is a very popular doctor. I heard a lot of people have hit on her, from attendings to patients. Even the chief of human resources almost lost his job by asking her out.” Dr. Kim offers Shuhua a beer, to which the young woman declines.

“I heard that she models on the side and has been offered a chance to be in an idol group.” Dr. Kwon adds.

“You guys are just restating rumors. What do they got to do with me?” Shuhua doesn’t know what she was thinking. These two don’t have any clue about dating or relationships, they’re just as single as she is.

“Why are you so upset with us, Shuhua-ah? We just want to love you and help you.” Dr. Kwon tries to kiss Shuhua’s cheek, only to be pushed away by the younger woman. Shuhua could now smell the alcohol from them. 

“Are you two drunk?” Shuhua gasps and looks between the two. They do look like they have a healthy blush going on.

“No drunker than them.” Dr. Kim points across the fire to Dr. Jung Wheein and Dr. Ahn Hyejin. They have their arms on Minnie’s shoulders and waist. Where are they leading her? Shuhua watches in confusion as Minnie looks back to Miyeon, who remains at the fire, with great concern. Shuhua could see that Miyeon is no less concerned than her girlfriend, who has been kidnapped by her attendings. “Oooh … that girl is going to have the time of her life.”

“Yeah.” Dr. Kwon agrees with her friend. “They’re fun people.”

“Did you … all drink together?” Shuhua looks disturbed. What kind of chaperones are these?

“Well … yeah.” Dr. Kwon says matter-of-factly. “What is there to do out here when you guys are busy hiking and cooking and getting it on?” 

“…” Shuhua doesn’t know how to respond.

“We drink. We gossip. We eat … though …” Dr. Kim looks extra astute as she looks in the direction that the other two chaperones had left in. “I think they’re doing it.”

“You think so?” Dr. Kwon asks across Shuhua.

“Oh yeah.” Dr. Kim nods assuredly. “Definitely.”

Shuhua just wants to die at this point.

“How come we’ve never done it?” Dr. Kwon asks with a curious frown.

“Uh …” Shuhua tries to voice her discomfort.

“Because we’re bros, bro.” Dr. Kim holds her fist out in front of Shuhua.

“Bro …” Dr. Kwon looks genuinely touched as she fist bumps her friend.

“I’ve got to get out of here.” Shuhua takes this lapse in their attention to roll backward off the log and escape this nightmarish scenario.

“Hey, come back here …” The two attendings call after Shuhua, but she’s already running away at full speed, not wanting to get caught again.

It is not long before the light from the fire dims as Shuhua tries to make it back to her tent. In the dark woods, she could barely tell where the path starts. Pulling her phone out of her pocket, Shuhua turns on the flashlight feature to lighten her unease. It’s just a short walk to the tent area, but Shuhua wants to walk a bit slowly so she could think a while longer. As she drifts in and out of her thoughts, Shuhua picks up a light padding of footsteps behind her. Her body tenses as she turns the light around to see who is coming.

“Ah …” A sultry voice protests. “Put that away, you’re blinding me.” Soojin holds her hand in front of her face to shield her squinting eyes from the light.

“Oh, sorry.” Shuhua immediately tilts the light to the ground. “I didn’t realize it was you, Soojin-unnie.” She says apologetically.

“Did I scare you?” Soojin asks with an impish smile.

“No.” Shuhua shakes her head. “I heard your footsteps, I just wanted to see who it was.” 

“Are you going back to the tent already?” Soojin catches up next to Shuhua.

“Yeah, I’m a bit tired. It’s been a long day.” It is true. After the excitement from the morning hike and the lunch where Miyeon and Minnie finally got together, they had a mini-excursion then a large group dinner and bonfire. Shuhua can’t remember the last time she did this many activities in one day.

“It has been a very long and interesting day.” Soojin walks beside Shuhua, both heading toward their tents.

Shuhua nods. She walks with her gaze lowered to the ground, as if to watch her steps in the dark.

“Are you alright?” Soojin asks after a long pause in conversation.

Shuhua’s attention snaps back to Soojin. She smiles softly and nods. “Yeah.”

As they get closer to their tent area, they can see smaller fires a different parts of the campgrounds. It looks like some other people have also gone back to their own small group to sit and chat. It’s a nice scene that they don’t usually get to witness. Soojin notices some leaves and twigs in Shuhua’s hair, so she starts to pick them off the younger woman. “What did you do? You’re covered in dirt.”

Shuhua couldn’t admit to Soojin that she had to roll away from her attendings, so she shrugs. “Not sure. But a little dirt won’t hurt.”

Soojin’s hand hovers over Shuhua’s shoulder. This quiet Shuhua is so distant and foreign to Soojin. She’s so used to the hyper puppy, who constantly hits on her. When Shuhua is calm and quiet, she makes Soojin wants to take over the hyper role. “I’ve never seen you this tired, even after you’ve been in surgery you’re not normally this quiet.”

Shuhua looks at Soojin, studying her features for a moment before smiling reassuringly. “I’m fine. I’m just thinking about things.”

“What kind of things?” Soojin presses.

Shuhua weighs her options. “Us.” She says after a few seconds. “I’m just thinking about us.”

“Us?” Soojin swallows hard.

“Yeah.” Shuhua nods as they reach their group’s tents.

“What about us?” Soojin tries to play it cool.

“Is there even an us?” Shuhua turns to Soojin. 

Soojin is pensive. She looks at the wide-eyed puppy of a woman, whom she has grown very fond of.

“You can tell me.” Shuhua smiles encouragingly. “If I’ve been one-sidedly pursuing you and annoying you, I’ll stop.”

“Where is this coming from?” Soojin looks perplexed. She remembers seeing Shuhua  talking to her attendings at the bonfire. They looked chummy enough. But now Shuhua is all gloom despite that smile. 

“I’ve been thinking about it for a little while.” Shuhua sits down on a chair and motions for Soojin to sit next to her. “I like you, Soojin-unnie … I really like you … romantically.” She adds that for clarity and finality.

Soojin steadies herself as she sits down. 

“Seeing Minnie-unnie and Miyeon today … I really want to be like that with you. To have mutual feelings …” Shuhua continues, too shy to look at Soojin right now. “But I don’t want to pressure you if you don’t like me that way. I can take it. You just tell me if that’s the case and I’ll back off.”

“Are you saying that I either like you or we can’t be friends?” Soojin has an unreadable look on her face.

“I … it would be difficult to be friends when I keep wanting to date you, you know? But I can try.” Shuhua smiles genuinely, even if there is a sad tint in her eyes. “For you, I will try anything.”

Soojin gazes upon Shuhua’s face for a moment before reaching over to hold Shuhua’s cheek in her palm. Shuhua is surprised at the rare display of affection, but she takes the opportunity to nuzzle her cheek into Soojin’s palm. Like a puppy, Soojin thought. “We can’t be like Minnie and Miyeon, they’re weird. But … if you’re willing to try, I think … dating would be … nice.”

Shuhua could barely contain her shock. Her body jerks as her head turns every which way, trying to comprehend what was just said. “You mean … we … us …” She stutters incomprehensibly. 

Soojin lets out a small chuckle and nods. “I like you, too … but if we can take it slow …”

“Soojin-unnie!” Shuhua pounces over onto Soojin’s chair, trying to hug and kiss the older woman. 

“Yah! What part of slow …” Soojin turns her face from those puckering lips and pushes Shuhua away, but she’s at least laughing about it. “I don’t kiss before the first date.”

Shuhua struggles for a bit before just happily resting her head on Soojin’s shoulder. “Then can we go on a date when we get back?” She sighs happily as the warmth from Soojin’s body becomes intoxicating.

“Okay.” Soojin smiles softly and rests her cheek on the top of Shuhua’s head … but that doesn’t last long before she scrunches her nose and leans away. “Yeh Shuhua, when was the last time you washed?”

“I’ll never wash again … I want to remember this me from this day forever …” Shuhua hugs Soojin more tightly as the older woman struggle in her arms.

“Please please bathe before our date!” Soojin whines and smacks Shuhua’s knee.

“Okay, unnie …” Shuhua says in a sing-song voice, still not letting go of Soojin. “I bought matching pajamas for us to wear tonight to declare our relationship status.”

“What? Did you plan all this?” Soojin jokes with an amused smile.

“Not exactly, I just wanted to wear matching pajamas with you.” Shuhua responses as she nuzzles further into Soojin.

They stay like that for a while, holding and leaning against each other. 

 

 

“Thanks for helping me, Soyeonnie.” Yuqi says as she leans more against her shorter friend.

Soyeon smiles and turns her head to look at Yuqi. “What are friends for.” With Yuqi’s arm over her shoulders, their faces are so close. Soyeon could see Yuqi’s eyes twinkle as her smile sparkles. That’s what Soyeon likes most about Yuqi. The younger woman is optimistic even in the hardest of times.

After lunch, they found a crutch at the HQ tent so Yuqi can manages on her own for a little while, but Soyeon suggested Yuqi put some weight on her, too. Yuqi spent most of the afternoon and evening sitting with her foot elevated while Soyeon bring food and snack to her.

“I’m going to have to take a few days off work when we get back.” Yuqi thinks aloud, making plans to go get her ankle examined and x-rayed in case there is a fracture.

“Why didn’t you go back earlier? You could have a lot more rest at home.”  Soyeon awkwardly tries not to squeeze the hand that she has resting on Yuqi’s hip. Her other hand holds out the five thousand lumens lantern in front of them.

“I thought about it, but then I’d be so bored alone at home …” Yuqi starts.

“I would have gone back with you.” Soyeon interjects.

“… yeah, but I wanted to spend this trip with the girls. And besides, had we gone back Minnie and Miyeon wouldn’t have progressed so quickly.” Yuqi laughs.

Soyeon nods, trying to keep her balance on this dark path in the woods. “That was quite a turn of events.” She laughs, remembering how bashful the oldest women were when they finally told the group. As they enter tent area, they turn toward the collection of tents for their group. “See? I told you everyone’s partnering up.” Yuqi points to Shuhua and Soojin, who are canoodling in front of their tents. 

“Oh my god.” Soyeon laughs and turns to Yuqi. “This is some trip, everyone’s getting together.” 

“Yeah, but we don’t seem to have such luck.” Yuqi pretends to pout in jealousy. “I don’t want to go over there right now, let them have a little alone time.”

“Okay … how about we go to the HQ tent? I can look at your foot and apply some more ointment?” Soyeon points toward the mostly abandoned largest tent in the middle of the campsite.

“Yeah, that sounds good. I could use some more NSAIDs.” Yuqi nods and hobbles along with Soyeon.

When they get to the tent, Soyeon gently guides Yuqi to a seat before going to search for more pain relieving ointments and NSAIDs. Too bad they don’t have any ice out in the middle of nowhere, otherwise Soyeon would get that for Yuqi, too. “Okay, here.” She hands Yuqi an opened water bottle and some tablets. Like a compliant patient, Yuqi pops the pills in followed by a swig of water.

“Thank you.” Yuqi the water from her lips as Soyeon kneels down in front of her. Seeing Soyeon put Yuqi’s foot on her knee suddenly causes a feverish burn to creep onto Yuqi’s cheeks. “Thanks for taking good care of me.”

Soyeon looks up at Yuqi and smiles as she unwraps the bandage. “It looks more blue and black now …” Yuqi’s ankle looks like the size of a softball. Soyeon gently tries to maneuver it to check the mobility, causing a twinge of pain to shoot up Yuqi’s leg.

Yuqi hisses in agony and Soyeon immediately stops. 

“I’m sorry.” Soyeon apologizes for making Yuqi hurt, but the younger woman shakes her head. 

“I’m okay.” Yuqi tries to smile despite the small droplets of tears lingering on her lashes. She is disconcerted by the look of her ankle though, it looks like a foreign body instead of hers.

“I’m sorry I made you buy the cheaper shoe with less ankle support.” Soyeon looks really guilt wracked.

“It’s not your fault. I wasn’t careful.” Yuqi smiles and gently pats the crown of Soyeon’s head.

“Thank you …” Soyeon drops the topic, but she still feels guilty nonetheless.“I’m going to apply the ointment now, so bear with me okay?” Soyeon opens the tube of anti-inflammatory ointment before squeezing a large amount on her hand and warming it up in her palms. Gently, she works the ointment over Yuqi’s ankle, taking care not to apply too much force. 

Yuqi’s grip on the edge of her chair tightens each time a spark of pain lights up her ankle, but she tightens her jaws to not make Soyeon feel bad for her. As Soyeon apply the ointment, Yuqi is privy to an angle of Soyeon that she hasn’t noticed before. Soyeon, on her knee and attentively massaging Yuqi’s ankle, is looking so much more attractive than anyone Yuqi’s ever seen. Yuqi likes the way Soyeon’s foxlike eyes are focusing solely on her.  Yuqi finds Soyeon’s upturned lip forms a little triangle and exposes her front teeth in a cute manner. 

Unconsciously, Yuqi reaches out and gently brushes her fingertips along the edge of Soyeon’s outer ear. Soyeon shivers at the contact and her wide eyes look up to Yuqi in surprise. She doesn’t dodge the touch, however, and just looks up expectantly at Yuqi with a held breath. This Soyeon looks so small and vulnerable, but is also dependable and powerful … how has Yuqi not notice all this time?

Blinking herself back into reality, Yuqi’s breath hitches a note before she her lips. Her hand moves from Soyeon’s ear to brush some strands of hair from Soyeon’s face before trailing her fingertips along Soyeon’s cheekbone and jawline. Soyeon keeps her eyes locked on Yuqi’s as she shifts forward and upward, pushing herself between Yuqi’s knees. Slowly and carefully, she rises up to face Yuqi. Her left hand is still holding Yuqi’s right calf in place on her left knee, while her right hand rests gently on Yuqi’s left hip. 

Their eyes survey the other’s face, as if  they are seeing each other for the first time. Yuqi finally smiles and squeezes Soyeon’s chin between her thumb and index finger. “Are you going to kiss me or stare at me all night?”

“I can do both.” Soyeon retorts. “All night.” 

“Ahh, I see … so can you kiss me first? Then I’ll let you stare at me.” A mirthful smile touches Yuqi’s crinkling eyes as she adds. “All night.” 

Soyeon nods, nervously wetting her lips when lowers her gaze to Yuqi’s lips. She tilts her chin upward as Yuqi leans down. Their lips meet without fireworks like in the movies. Instead, it’s a soft realization that this is right. It feels like they have been waiting for this moment since they met. It feels like a fog has been lifted and they have finally found each other. Soyeon kisses Yuqi tenderly, teasing her with a soft nibble on the lower lip. Yuqi raises both hands to Soyeon’s cheeks and holds the other woman steady as she greedily kisses her. Yuqi’s hair slides down and forms a curtains around their faces as they kisses more deeply and hungrily.

“Ahem.” A voice clears their throat at the entrance of the tent, causing both women to quickly break apart. Soyeon almost fell backwards in the haste while Yuqi brushes her hair back and pretends that nothing has happened.

Dr. Jung Wheein and Dr. Ahn Hyejin look at both women with much amusement on their faces as they look upon the two younger women. “Don’t worry about us, girls.” Dr. Ahn tries not to laugh as she walks further into  the tent to dig through some boxes.

Dr. Jung tries to look away from Soyeon and Yuqi, who are scrambling to wrap Yuqi’s ankle up in the bandages. “We’ll be on our way soon. Don’t mind us.” She is covering to hide her grin.

“Aha!” Dr. Ahn holds up two big bottles of soju excitedly. “Have fun, girls. But don’t forget to rest and elevate that ankle.” She winks at them as she passes by.

“I don’t think they’re going to be be doing a lot of resting.” Dr. Jung grins and waggles her eyebrows as they both exit the tent. Yuqi and Soyeon could hear their laughter echo back while they walk away.

“Wow …” Soyeon doesn’t know what else to say.

“Nevermind them.” Yuqi cups Soyeon’s cheeks in her hands. “Kiss me again.” She doesn’t mind who else walks in, because she’s found her person, now.

“Oh.” Soyeon’s lips form a little ‘o’ before she nods meekly. “Okay.” She rises to meet Yuqi’s lips again, this time more fervently than before. It doesn’t matter who walks in next, Soyeon is too happy to care.

 

 

“Another couple has been born.” Dr. Jung Wheein announces as she steps over the log by the bonfire. “It must be the fresh air and isolation or something in the water.”

Dr. Kim Hyoyeon laughs and pats the spot next to her on the log. “There will be many more to come. Sit. Tell me who they are.” 

Dr. Ahn Hyejin hands Dr. Kwon Yuri a shot glass as Dr. Jung sits down and pops open one of the soju bottles. They each hand Dr. Jung a shot glass for her to pour them some soju. “I think they’re the neurosurgery and cardiosurgery interns.”

“Aha! I am not surprised, seeing who their attendings are.” Dr. Ahn laughs as she receives a shot glass full of alcohol. 

“Are you two talking about Moon Byulyi and Kim Yongsun?” Dr. Kwon asks as she pops some shredded cuttlefish snacks into . 

“Yeah.” Dr. Jung nods and hands Dr. Kim her glass. “They’re totally a weird pair.”

“I thought Dr. Moon is a player or something.” Dr. Kim reaches over for some snacks from Dr. Kwon.

“Nah.” Dr. Ahn looks at Dr. Jung before the two breaks out into loud laughter. “She wouldn’t dare. Completely whipped, that one.”

“Huh.” Dr. Kwon looks at Dr. Kim. “And I thought we knew everything about all the couples in the hospital already.”

“I’ve counted like five new couples from this trip alone … so you best update your information.” Dr. Kim replies and holds out her shot glass. “To youthfulness and libido!”

“Youthfulness and libido!” The other three yell as they clink glasses together before taking a shot of soju. As the alcohol hits their throat, they make a unison ‘aaahhh’ sound in the satisfaction. 

“Oooh, that hits the spot … this is good soju.” Dr. Kim reaches for the bottle in Dr. Jung’s hand and inspects the label. “I will have to buy some more of this when I get home.”

“Pour us another!” They all hand over their glass to Dr. Kim.

“Let’s get this party started!” Dr. Kwon yells on top of her lungs as Dr. Ahn pulls up some pumping music on her phone.

All the residents and interns have gone back to the campsite, naturally as good chaperones, these four decided that they must stay to make sure that the bonfire doesn’t spread and endanger the forest. For their selflessness, they have decided to reward themselves with lots of alcohol and snacks. This is the whole reason why they volunteered to be on this trip in the first place.

 

 

The next day, the campsite slowly wake up with the sun rise. The festivities from the evening before has been replace by a serene morning. Here an there, people are making breakfast and packing up their tents. The HQ tent remains shuttered, due to its inhabitants being simply too hungover to be up this early. The whole camp have heard them partying way into the late night, even after the fires have gone out. 

“Good morning.” Soojin, who’s doing some standing stretches, greets Soyeon, who is just crawling out of her own tent.

“G’morning.” Soyeon mumbles as she rubs her groggy eyes. 

And one by one, each person take their time coming out of their tent, with Shuhua and Miyeon being the last. It was a miracle that Minnie and Miyeon did not share a tent last night, but they had to keep it PG for the children. Afterall, as the returning eldest, they have to set a good example.

“How about we make the budae jjigae for breakfast?” Soojin suggests after everyone has washed up and dressed for the day. “Soyeon and Yuqi shopped for it and it’ll warm us up to get us ready for the longer hike.”

“That sounds really good, let’s do it.” Miyeon agrees and walks over to Soojin to start helping prep.

“Shuhua, let’s go fetch some water for the pot.” Minnie picks up the pot that they used to make soup and motions for Shuhua to follow. With her face still swollen from sleep, a groggy Shuhua drags herself along like a zombie.

“You know. Other than you, Shuhua only listens to Minnie. Why is that?” Miyeon looks after Minnie and Shuhua.

“I have no idea.” Soojin shrugs and hands Miyeon a package of hot dogs.

Miyeon starts to open the package and slice the hot dogs into bite size pieces. She looks up to find Soyeon helping Yuqi walk back from the water faucet. “How’s your ankle, Yuqi?” Miyeon smiles as Yuqi sits down across from her.

“It’s okay, not that much improvement.” Yuqi replies before pointing to the spam and tofu. “I can help you cut those up.”

“Okay.” Miyeon hands a knife to Yuqi, knowing that the younger girl wants to feel helpful in this situation. “I’ll cut up the kimchi and mushroom, you can finish with the onion and scallions.”

Soyeon crinkles her face at the thought of vegetables, but decides to adult up enough to pick up around the camp instead. She starts to roll up hers and Yuqi’s sleeping bags before taking down their tents. 

Minnie and Shuhua return shortly after. “Here we are …” They lift the big pot onto the propane stove and steps back. Soojin finishes mixing the seasoning and put it into the water.

Minnie circles over to Miyeon’s side and watches her cut up the ingredients. “There’s something on your face.” Minnie brushes her fingertips over Miyeon’s cheek, wiping the little fuzz piece away.

“What? Beauty?” Miyeon smiles, her eyes turning into small crescents.

“Yeah, that’s right.” Minnie matches her smile and nods. “The most beautiful girl in the world.”

“Yah.” Yuqi, who is sitting right across from them, yells. “Can you flirt with your girlfriend later? I just woke up … I’m not mentally ready for this.”

Huh. Girlfriend. That’s something they haven’t discussed before or even thought about. “Oh … don’t be jealous, Yuqi. You’re still my number one intern.” Minnie winks at Yuqi before Miyeon smacks her on the arm. 

“Hey, no flirting with other girls in front of me.” Miyeon pretends to be upset.

“I’m sorry, Miyeon.” Minnie says it aloud just because it tickles her fancy. “My beautiful girlfriend.”

Everyone gives them a look of disbelief because they were just fighting not too long ago. Now they are lovey dovey to the max. Yuqi pretends to gag along with Shuhua, but stops when she feels Soyeon’s hand on her shoulder. The short blonde looks down at her before frowning at Minnie and Miyeon. “Your display of affection is making MY girlfriend, Yuqi, sick. She’s already injured, please be more careful.”

Yuqi’s wants to bury her face into her hands, but they are dirtied with spam and tofu. Everyone else’s jaws drop in perfect unison. 

“What? Yuqs? Is this true?” Minnie is the first to recover.

“When did this happen?” Shuhua cries out.

Soojin and Miyeon’s jaws are still slacked with disbelief. They knew that it would happen eventually, but they didn’t think it would come so suddenly. 

“Oh it happened while you and Soojin were … canoodling.” Yuqi chooses the most embarrassing word to stir the figurative pot.

“Canoodling?!” It’s Soojin’s turn to raise her voice while stirring the actual pot. She looks angrily over at Shuhua, who immediately puts up her hands, as if to tell her to do something about this.

“They’d find out eventually, Unnie.” Shuhua tries to defuse Soojin with a smile. “But … we’re taking it slow, so I can’t call you my girlfriend, yet.” Heavy emphasis on the ‘yet’ part.

“You’ve been calling her yeobo and jagiya since you met her … so I don’t think it’ll be a huge difference.” Yuqi interjects and looks up to Soyeon for backup.

“You might as well call her girlfriend.” Soyeon nods and agrees with her girlfriend.

“We haven’t even kissed yet!” Shuhua cries out in agony. 

“Yah! Why are you telling everybody our business?!” Soojin raises the ladle at Shuhua.

“Hey, the water’s boiling. Let’s put this stuff in!” Miyeon finally notices the very turbulent water. She starts to put the ingredients in while Minnie open the packages of instant ramen. 

“Here, Ramiyeon.” Minnie smiles sweetly and adds. “My lovely girlfriend.”

Miyeon blows a kiss at Minnie before going over to make sure the other ingredients are softer before adding in the noddles.

“Soojin, is it true? Wow … I thought you guys were already together.” Yuqi tries to tease Soojin a bit, only to earn an icy look from the older woman.

Shuhua has zipped and is now pretending to be busy setting up bowls and chopsticks for the stew. She tries to avoid Soojin’s angry gaze when she could.

“Leave her alone, Yuqi-ah … I still have to work with her later.” Soyeon squeezes her girlfriend’s shoulder to remind her that technically Soojin is still her immediate boss.

Yuqi smiles and drops the topic, but that Soojin side-eye is no joke. 

It is not long before the pot blossoms into this amazing bubbling red, delicious smelling stew. Everyone comes over to ladle a bowlful, with Soyeon getting Yuqi’s portion as well. It’s a slightly chilly morning, so budae jjigae instantly warms up their bodies as well as burn their mouths. Amazingly, they finish the pot without a single drop wasted. After breakfast, Minnie and Shuhua go to wash the pot while everyone else starts to take down their tents. It’s not long before they have everything packed up and ready for the porter vans.

The HQ tent is still shuttered by the time that they are ready to head out. 

“Um … so …” Shuhua looks at Miyeon, “do we have to keep hiking with our assigned partner?” She has her pleading puppy eyes on full display.

Miyeon looks over to Minnie, whose soulful eyes have also turned into puppy eyes. “Um … no?” She answers without much conviction, even though she was already put in charge by the chaperones. 

“Yay!” Everyone cheers, now that they have permission to walk with their heart’s chosen. 

They start walking as a group, but each couple has their own walking pace. Soyeon and Yuqi are at the back, riding on the black horse since they are light and small enough to fit on the saddle. They have to be in the back so the other girls don’t accidentally step on horse droppings. Soyeon hugs Yuqi tightly and rests her chin on her girlfriend’s shoulder as they ride and talk at the same time. 

Soojin and Shuhua are perfectly matched in speed, so they are walking way in front. This way they have a little bit of privacy as they talk about their plans for the next month. There is that date that they also have to set up. After all, Soojin doesn’t kiss before the first date so Shuhua will really have to impress her on this date.

In the middle are Minnie and Miyeon, who are like an old couple. They walk together, holding hands and looking around the park with their new rosy vision. Suddenly, everything just looks ten times brighter and more vivid. They laughs softly as they discuss everything that they have missed in each other’s lives in the past month since they started fighting.

The hike, despite being longer, felt like it was so much shorter. They all wanted to spend it longer with their beloved. But the most amazing weekend came to an end as they pack their things onto their vehicles.

Shuhua, Soojin, Soyeon, and Yuqi all pack back into the Jeep. But now, Yuqi has to sit with her leg across the backseat and her foot resting on Soyeon’s lap. 

“Okay guys, I’ll take Miyeon home since her attendings are still MIA.” Minnie waves at them from the outside. Miyeon stops packing things into Minnie’s car to join her girlfriend in waving to their friends.

“See you guys at work tomorrow!” Miyeon giggles, feeling very happy that they will be back to being comfortable with each other at lunch again.

“Bye bye!” Shuhua, Soojin, and Soyeon waves while Yuqi blows kisses at them.

They start their journey back to the city, being different people than they were yesterday. Something profound has changed inside them and they feel elated to discover what that change will be like in their coming days. As they reach the highway and the drive is quiet, Soojin reaches across the middle console to hold Shuhua’s hand as she drives. Shuhua has to suppress her urge to make a fuss about it, she just holds Soojin’s hand between both hands while staring at the older woman. True to her tsundere mood, Soojin coolly keeps her eyes on the road. Or rather, she has someone important to protect now.

Minnie and Miyeon watch until their Jeep pull out of the parking lot before going back to packing Minnie’s car. When they finish, Miyeon looks at Minnie with a strange smile, causing her girlfriend to smile awkwardly and asks, “What’s going on?”

With a mischievous grin, Miyeon gets closer to Minnie and whispers into her ear, “Can we go to your place?”

Minnie’s cheeks burn with Miyeon’s warm breath even in this crisp morning. “I think I can cut the driving time down by half.” She half-jokes, but   they both know she will be speeding like crazy.