It Takes Two

Falling, Fallen

“How about this place?” Yuqi stops in front of a small restaurant and turns to her friend.

“What’s their special?” Soyeon tries to read the worn menu in front of the door. 

“They have naengmyeon …” Yuqi squints very hard to try to read the small faded characters.

“Too much veggies.” Soyeon mutters before she steps closer to read it better. “I can’t read it … I can make out samgyetang?” 

Yuqi frowns, she can’t remember what samgyetang tastes like. “That’s the chicken right?” She smiles when Soyeon nods in response. “So it won’t have a lot of veggies that you hate.” She giggles at her veggie-hating friend.

“Well, it still has some in the broth but not a lot of ones that crunches …” Soyeon tries to sound a bit more mature than a kid who hates her carrots.

“It’ll be easy to digest and we need to regain strength after our overnights.” Yuqi nods along. 

They both just finished their first overnight, which went longer than they’d anticipated. They finally made it out of work right at dinner time. Not wanting to waste a lot of time looking around when they’re both hungry, they decided to walk around the neighborhood near their apartment. It’s time to get to know the local restaurants.

As the women stand in front of the door, someone behind them clears his throat, they were blocking the entrance. “Oh, sorry.” They apologize and move aside before deciding to go in.

“Table for two, please.” Yuqi signals to the lady at the front counter, who waves them to a table in the back. It’s a small place with just a few tables, but it has a relaxed atmosphere that’s rather quiet for dinner time. There’s only one worker, the lady who seats people also brings food and drinks. Other than Soyeon and Yuqi, there are only three other occupied tables.

“Let me know when you’re ready to order.” The lady tells them as she walks by, carrying another table’s food.

The two women look over the actual menus on the table, not find anything else they’d rather eat, so they agree on the samgyetang. It is a ginseng chicken soup that features a small chicken stuffed with glutenous rice, ginseng, garlic, and jujube. People eat it during the summer time to fight the heat and regain strength.

“Can we please have one order of haemul pajeon and one order of samgyetang.” Soyeon does the ordering for the two. They also added an order of seafood pancakes to snack on before the meal.

“One haemul pajeon and one samgyetang coming up.” The lady pours some barley tea for them before going into the kitchen to drop off their order.

“I’m so hungry, I might even eat the whole chicken by myself.” Yuqi rubs her rumbling stomach and grins at Soyeon across the table from her. 

“We can always order more if you’re that hungry.” Soyeon takes a sip of the tea and smiles back at her friend. “How was your first overnight shift?” They saw each other occasionally when they went to the lounge for snacks and drinks, but overall they had their own shifts to worry about. 

“It was fine. No emergencies, just a lot of monitoring for post-op patients. I took a quick nap around 2AM. I didn’t hate it but definitely don’t want to do it all the time like some of these other people.” Yuqi answers honestly.

“It definitely has its appeal. I got a lot done because it was so quiet at night and I’m more of a night owl anyways.” Soyeon definitely enjoyed the quiet evening where the pace was up to her.

“Really?” Yuqi looks at Soyeon with a slightly raised eye brow. “You know overnight shifts will age us women faster right?”

“So I’ve heard.” Soyeon shrugs. “I’m not worried about that. I enjoy working nights, so less stress … maybe it’ll all even out.”

“You’ve got a point there.” Yuqi nods along.

They make little chit-chat about their work. Before long, the restaurant worker has already arrived with their food. She sets them down quickly before bringing back little plates of banchans.

“I can’t believe that it’s September already, we’ve been at CUBE for a month.” Yuqi takes a piece of the pajeon.

“Time flew by for sure.”

“How are you liking your department?” Yuqi asks.

“Good. Dr. Moon is a good teacher. She makes things easy to understand … though her quirks can be so distracting sometimes.”

“What kind of quirks?”

“Well … she’s a flirt, plain and simple. She hits on everyone, from a halmoni to the nurses.”

“Has anyone complained?”

“No. That’s the strange thing, people really like it. The men thinks she’s their best friend and the women think it’s endearing that she uses greasy lines on them.” Soyeon’s wide eyes makes Yuqi laugh.

“Wow.”

“But I’m learning a lot from her and Soojin. I think they can help me get out of my shell and be more outgoing with patients, you know?”

“I understand.”

“How about you? Dr. Kim still quiet around you?”

“I wish!” Yuqi exclaims. “I wish she was back to dear ole shy Dr. Kim.”

Soyeon laughs. “What do you mean?”

“She is now bad jokes Dr. Kim. She’s got bad taste in arts and fashion … her jokes are the worst. She’s so goofy.”

“Really?”

“Yeah. Minnie said that she warmed up to me quickly and is now comfortable … so she’s displaying the real Dr. Kim.”

“Have you asked Minnie about her and Miyeon, yet?” Soyeon asks.

“No … I don’t know how to make it not weird.” Yuqi acts as if Soyeon is Minnie. “Hey Minnie, I saw that Miyeon kissed you in your sleep. Are you guys dating? Or is she harassing you?”

They laugh at the thought of Miyeon actually harassing Minnie. That girl couldn’t hurt a fly. But harassment comes in all forms and isn’t a joking matter. Their laugh cuts out quickly.

“I don’t know how you would ask it … but I hope it work out okay for them.”

“Do you think that Soojin likes Shuhua?” Yuqi asks suddenly. “She’s awfully nice to her, even though she keeps acting cold, she packs lunch for her.”

“It’s hard to read Soojin sometimes.” Soyeon answers.

“The same could be said about you.” Yuqi laughs. “Shuhua actually asked me once if you hated her.”

“What? Why would she think that?”

“I don’t know if you know this, Soyeonie … but you actually have a very bad case of the RBF.” Yuqi laughs, but it causes a grain of rice to lodge in , causing her to cough violently.

“… Well that I already knew …” Soyeon hands Yuqi’s cup of tea to the dying girl.

“Everyone’s pairing up now …” Yuqi says after the rice grain dislodges from . “I hope it won’t get awkward if they do get together.”

“I hope not, either.” Soyeon nods along.

“We should pair up soon, too.” Yuqi laughs, then realizes what she just said and attempts to awkwardly fix it. “N-not like that … but with other people … you know … I mean, not that you’re bad … but  … uh…”

Soyeon laughs and shakes her head. “You don’t think I’m good enough to pair up with. I see how it is.”

“That’s not what I meant!”

“It’s too late, Yuqi-ah. I’m hurt.”

“I just need someone who eats their veggies, okay?” Yuqi jokes back once she could tell that Soyeon is exaggerating.

“I’m eating my potato …” Soyeon points at the potato banchan. So far she’s had the steamed egg, fish cakes, and potato while Yuqi has been eating the kimchi, seaweed, and broccoli.

Their dinner continues to be lively until the end of the meal. They split the cost, as they’ve done several times before when they went out to eat together. Walking together in the warm summer air, Soyeon and Yuqi is fully content after a delicious and filling dinner. The sun is starting to set, painting everything a nice golden, red hue. As she is about to say something, Soyeon turns to Yuqi and is muted by the beauty of the sunset light on Yuqi’s reddish hair.

“Your hair looks like you’re on fire, Soyeon.” Yuqi points to Soyeon’s platinum locks. “It looks really cool and you’re really pretty.”

Soyeon blushes for the first time in a while. Thankfully, the reddish hue of the lights make it hard to see her embarrassment. “Thanks.” It’s been a while since someone’s said that Soyeon is pretty. She knows she’s not the ideal type of pretty, maybe even strange looking to some. She’s never paid it any mind, but hearing it from Yuqi made her heart beat faster and her cheeks burn hotter.

“We’re here.” Yuqi, who plunged Soyeon into her own thoughts, pulls Soyeon back out of her thoughts. They stand in front of their apartment. “Home sweet home.” Yuqi says cheerfully.

Already? Soyeon wanted to say. Instead, she smiles and nods along. They trot up stairs together until the third floor, Yuqi waves to Soyeon. “Good night, Soyeon. I’ll see you at work tomorrow.”

As Yuqi turns to go up another two flights of stairs, Soyeon suddenly speaks up. “Hey, Yuqi-ah!”

Yuqi halts and turns back to look down at her friend at the bottom of the stairs. 

“Do you want to move in together?” Soyeon blurts out before she has a chance to change her own mind. “You know? To save on rent and utilities!” She stares expectantly up at Yuqi, watching the other girl’s expression closely. 

“Heck yeah!” Yuqi exclaims without hesitation and hops back downstairs. “Do you want to go talk to the landlady before work tomorrow?”

Soyeon blinks, not expecting Yuqi to be so excited about the idea. “Um … yeah! Text me when you’re ready to go tomorrow?”

“Sure thing.” Yuqi nods happily and starts to go up the stairs again. Something makes her stop and turn back down to Soyeon. “Great idea, Soyeon. Good night!”

Soyeon is speechless at the bottom of the stairs for several seconds. She smiles to herself as her spur of the moment turns into an exciting future. As she walks to her door, she starts to daydream about living together with Yuqi, who has been a super good friend.

 

 

A night in the emergency room is not actually like Shuhua’s imagination. Here she is, leaning against a counter space with her chin propped up by her palm. She thought that people would come in with all sorts of wounds that would need her healing hands. In actuality, people come in for the strangest things. Diarrhea, sprained ankle, minor cuts … nothing that usually warrants an emergency. Just thinking about it kind of irritates Shuhua a little bit.

“It’s pretty boring right?” Dr. Lee Soonkyu asks, as if reading Shuhua’s mind. 

Shuhua blinks and straightens up. “Um, no ma’am.”

“Please don’t ma’am me … and I can see it in your face. You’re all glazed over like you’re bored.” Dr. Lee, a short woman with a dominating aura, hands the discharge nurse some charts.

“That’s not true, I was just thinking about …” What was she actually thinking about? “Um … sorry, the ER isn’t like …”

“The movies and TV shows?” Dr. Lee finishes her sentence and laughs heartily as she files another chart away at the nurses’ station. 

Shuhua nods.

“No, usually it’s very easy like this. Holidays and weekends get a bit more hectic. But typically, we’re more like an urgent care than an emergency department.”

Shuhua nods again.

“I brought some fresh eggs with me if you’d like to bring some home later.”

“Excuse me?”

“Eggs … you know? They come out of chickens … from my farm.”

Oh that’s right. Dr. Lee is the one that has a farm outside of the city. She’s also the one … with the wife! Something lights up in Shuhua’s head and suddenly she is very very awake.

“Dr. Lee.” Shuhua starts.

Dr. Lee holds a hand up to stop her.  “Call me Sunny.” 

“Uh …” Shuhua hesitates, it feels disrespectful to call her by her nickname. “Dr. Sunny.” Shuhua compromises.

“Uh huh?” Dr. Lee is flipping through another chart.

“How’d you meet your wife?”

It’s not often Shuhua gets to meet an openly married lesbian in Korea. It is legal for LGBTQ couples to get married in this time, but it’s still a rare thing because of conservative people and traditional values and such. Dr. Sunny is taken back by the suddenly personal question. She stares at Shuhua’s eager face for a moment before clearing . “Um … through work. She’s a social worker at the former hospital that I worked at.”

“How’d you come to be married?” Shuhua wants the tips and the tricks to it all. “Who chased whom?”

“Um … why do you want to know?”

“Oh … I’m just curious.”

“Well, there’s no chasing … and it can be seen as insensitive and creepy to ask about such personal matters if you’re ‘just curious’…” Dr. Sunny speaks in a steady tone.

“I’m sorry.” Shuhua puts her hands up and apologizes because she didn’t mean to offend.

“But I know you’re not that kind of person. Does it have to do with Seo Soojin from Cardio?” Dr. Sunny has a knowing smile on her face.

“What? Y-you know about that too?” Shuhua is starting to get the scope of the gossips in this hospital.

“I may work majority overnights, but I hear stuff to you know?” Dr. Sunny smacks her gently on the arm with a folder.

Shuhua blushes deeply. Does everyone know? She wonders.

“Are you asking me for advice?” Dr. Sunny wags her eyebrows up and down as if she’s ready to ‘spill the tea’.

Shuhua stays silent for a little bit before nodding. “Yes.” Her cheeks get even redder, but she’s trading shame for secret so what does she expect?

“Okay, but you … will owe me if my help gets you the girl.”

“What do you mean?”

“If my tips help you, then … you will tell all the other vultures that you’d like to specialize in emergency general surgery.”

“Uh …” Shuhua tries to think whether these tips are worth it.

“I’m just messing with you, kid. I wouldn’t do that to you. I’d want you to choose something that fits you best.”

“Oh, thank you.” Shuhua lets out a held breath.

“Okay … come here …” Dr. Sunny motions for Shuhua to closer, putting their heads together in true secret sharing fashion. “You see …”

Why is she dragging this out? Shuhua decides on patience for the first time in a while. She nods. “Uh huh …”

“The secret … is … aegyo.” Dr. Sunny says in a hushed whisper. 

“Aegyo?” Shuhua repeats, a bit too loud.

“Yah.” Dr. Sunny puts her finger on her tips and shushes Shuhua. “Yes, aegyo.”

“Aegyo?” Shuhua asks again, in a softer tone.

“I’ll show you, my wife was completely smitten after the first time I used it.”

Shuhua follows Dr. Sunny to an empty bed in the emergency department, away from prying eyes. After Shuhua enters the area, Dr. Sunny draws the privacy curtain around them to protect her own image. Outside, people could make out hushed whispers, some gasps, some giggles, and a lot of high-pitched, irritating aegyo.

 

 

Minnie is tunneling into herself. She’s spiraling or free-falling, whatever it is called. She spaces out often and doesn’t have any desire to do anything. She tells herself to shake out of it, but for some reason, it is as if the ghost of Somi is following her around.

“That’s the best plan, in my opinion.” Yuqi’s loud voice interrupts Minnie’s thoughts.

“Yuqi, why do you think that’s the best treatment plan?” Minnie and Yuqi are in their office, sitting at their respective desks and discussing the therapy that they’d mentioned earlier in the day.

Yuqi hums for a second as she searches through the paperworks on her desk. “I saw in a case study … here, from the NEJM that using that type of surgery is better for patient outcome over all … it’s supported by this research paper as well.”

Minnie nods along as she takes the papers from Yuqi.

Yuqi goes over the details of the plan before stopping, “Why? Do you think it’s not a good option?”

“No. I think it’s a good option, but as surgeons we go with the one that we think is best. I just wanted to know why you thought it was the best option.”

“Ah.” Yuqi nods. “I understand … what do you think is the best option?”

They go back and forth for a few minutes before a knock at the door interrupts their discussion. Through the window, Miyeon waves at them with a small smile on her face. Yuqi can tell that she’s waving at them both, but her eyes are really only on Minnie. Minnie waves for her friend to come into the room. Miyeon punches in the code on the keypad and enters as if she’s done that a hundred times. “Good afternoon.” She greets both people before raising up a small bag. “I brought treats!” It’s not uncommon for the Children’s Hospital to have treats brought in by generous donors or staff.

“Yay!” Yuqi claps happily. She hops up on her feet and goes toward Miyeon with an eager expression. She could use a little pick me up in the form of sugar right now. “What is it?”

“A nice ahjumma is visiting her grand daughter and brought a cartful of bungeoppang in to share with everyone. They’re still warm.” Miyeon smiles and hands Yuqi the bag. Her eyes glances briefly at Minnie, who remains seated. “They’re really good.”

“Oooh that sounds amazing. Don’t mind if I help myself to one right now.” Yuqi opens the bag and takes out a fish-shaped bread. “I haven’t had these since forever … they’re amazing during winter times.”

“I know, right?” Miyeon vibes well with Yuqi’s cheerfulness. “Do you want one too, Minnie?” She asks her friend, who is spacing out right now.

Minnie’s eyes are so hard to read lately. They’re darker than usual with very little of the silly eye smiles she used to have. “I’m …”

“Here, have one, Minnie.” Yuqi senses the hesitation in Minnie’s voice and doesn’t wait for Minnie to decline. She didn’t see Minnie eat much recently. In fact, the woman’s cheek has sunken in a little bit. “It’s really good.”

Minnie looks between Yuqi and the treat before accepting with a small smile. “Thank you.” She looks at Miyeon after taking a bite, “It’s delicious.”

Miyeon breaks into an easy smile, she’s glad that Minnie likes what she brought. Yuqi, sensing that she’s not needed here, clears and pretends to cough a little. “You know, I want some coffee with my sweet … I’m going to go get some coffee.” Looking between Miyeon and Minnie, she offers. “Would you guys like anything? Tea? Soda?”

In harmony, the women shakes their heads and declines. Yuqi nods and says she’ll be back soon before leaving the room. She has a feeling that the two older residents need to talk a bit. Minnie has been acting normal, but it seems that she isn’t actually here all the time. Yuqi is worried, but she doesn’t feel comfortable addressing it with Minnie yet.

“How are you doing, Minnie?” Miyeon pulls up a chair and sits near Minnie’s desk. Minnie is munching on the bungeoppang while her eyes scrolling quickly through the screen in front of her. 

“I’m fine.” It has been like this since the day Somi passed. Minnie has  pulled into her shell, only coming out when she wants to. She withholds all affection and warmth into herself. They attended the funeral last week and Minnie barely wanted to go to work the next day. Minnie has been holed up at Miyeon’s place for most of the time, but not really saying anything. Miyeon has been giving into Minnie’s physical wants, hoping that it would sooth Minnie a little until she’s ready to talk. However, it has the opposite effect of Minnie not wanting to use to talk at all.

Miyeon’s worry has escalated and replaced her patience. She wants more answer than just a word or two. “Are you?” She mutters softly.

Minnie ignores the question, pretending that she didn’t hear.

“Minnie, we need to talk.” Miyeon’s voice shakes as nervousness creeps into her.

“We are talking.”

“You know what I mean.”

“… I really don’t.” Minnie slowly swallows the piece of bread in and turns to finally meets Miyeon’s eyes.

“Do I really have to say it?” Miyeon’s voice is so soft and heartbroken. “You need help. Let’s go see a counselor, Minnie.”

Minnie stares at her without a response.

“You can’t do this on your own … I thought I could help, but I’m also out of my depth here.” Miyeon’s honest and open voice has Minnie inhaling deeply. They all had some sorts of psychology class during medical school, but that’s not enough to self-treat depression.

Minnie’s hands tighten into fists and she turns away from Miyeon. “I don’t need help. I don’t want to talk to anyone about it. Miyeon, I don’t want people to know that I’m a failure.”

“But you’re not a failure.” Miyeon reaches for Minnie’s fist, wrapping her hand around it. “You took all the appropriate steps. The patient safety committee cleared you of that. You didn’t do anything wrong.”

“Then why did she die?” Minnie fights the tears in her voice.

“Because she had brain tumors that invaded crucial parts of her brain. You’ve had patients die before. Why is this so different this time?” Miyeon sounds harsher than she means to, but some things have to be said.

“Because she’s Somi.” Minnie waves her hand. “I really don’t want to talk about this.”

“That’s why you need to. You’re holding it in and it’s killing you.” Miyeon squeezes Minnie’s hand tighter, only for Minnie to pull away from her.

“I’ll be fine.” Minnie, still in denial about her feelings, refuses to look at Miyeon. “Just give me some time.”

“…” Having no words left to say, Miyeon rises and quietly leaves. When the door shuts behind her, tears hit the top of Minnie’s desk.

 

 

“I shouldn’t have listened to that crazy woman …” Shuhua tugs at the edge of her scrub top as she gripes to herself. Standing near the exit to the parking structure, she’s waiting for a certain someone. “I really shouldn’t have.” 

 

[Earlier in the day]

“Hey, Shuhua.” Soojin greets Shuhua, who is waiting for her in front of her office.

“Good morning, Soojin-unnie.” It’s first thing in the morning and Shuhua is still in the middle of her overnight shift while Soojin is just coming into work.

“Did you have a good evening?” Soojin is a lot nice to Shuhua now, treating her somewhat like a younger sister. That’s something that Shuhua doesn’t want at all.

Shuhua could hear Dr. Sunny’s voice in her head, telling her what to do. And in the most aegyo-est voice she could muster, Shuhua replies. “Shushu mished Jinjin aww nyight wong.”

The shock on Soojin’s face should have deterred Shuhua from another attempt. The older woman almost dropped her coffee as her eyes fluttered as if she was having a seizure. But, dumb and stubborn Shuhua tries to recover. “Did Jinjin mish Shushu choo?”

“What is wrong with you?!” Soojin yells and quickly enters her office, slamming the door in Shuhua’s face.

“Soojin-unnie, open up!” Shuhua bangs on the door, she could tell Soojin was hiding against beside it. “What’d I do wrong?”

“Go away!” Soojin yells.

“I just wanted to ask you to go out with me!” Shuhua yells again, despite the giggles from passerby.

“Not in a million years! If you use that creepy tone with me again, I’m going to mace you!” Soojin yells back.

Oh no, their relationship has devolved back to threats of mace. Defeated, Shuhua slumps her shoulders and walks away from the cold, angry door.

[End flashback]

 

“That aegyo technique … I should’ve known that’s a mess.” Shuhua groans and kicks the wall. After the morning ordeal, she finished her shift and went home. She came back to the hospital a whole lot earlier than her next overnight shift so that she could wait for Soojin by this exit. As she wallows in her self-pity, there is a commotion around her.

“Call the police!”

“Oh my God! Someone help her!”

Eventually, Shuhua notices the people frantically running around her. She could make out some sort of thing happening in the lobby of the hospital. Normally, Shuhua is not that brave. However, curiosity gets to the better of her. She tries to get closer behind the crowd of people at the entrance of the hallway. 

“He’s crazy.” She hears one person says.

“Someone help that poor girl …” Another person says.

Shuhua tries to get on her tiptoe to see what’s happening. She sees the back of a man wearing a dark, checkered jacket. He seems to have someone in his grasp. He’s also waving a sharp object around dangerously. Shuhua feels absolutely terrible for the girl, whoever she is. The man has his arm around her shoulders … they’re moving erratically. “ all you doctors! You’re all the same! Leeches!” The man screams. “You useless pieces of . You decide who live or die? I won’t let you have all the power anymore.” The lunacy of the situation has Shuhua stunned. She looks around and sees that security officers are nearby and they are trying to diffuse the situation, but the man keeps alternating between waving the weapon and holding it to the girl’s throat. 

People are screaming and talking and filming and running. It was so hectic … but time stops the moment Shuhua catches a glimpse of the woman’s face.

Soojin. 

Her Soojin.

He has a knife to Soojin’s throat.

There is a ringing in Shuhua’s ear before she rushes forward, pushing people out of her way. She squeezes and pushes between bystanders until she propels herself into the middle of the scene. “Let her go!” Shuhua’s sudden appearance and loud voice causes the man to turn swiftly toward her. She could see Soojin’s face, panicked for the first time ever. Shuhua is so scared and angry that she could explode. 

“Back off, !” The man screams.

“Let her go!” Shuhua repeats, standing firm. She’s not one to back down in front of s and certainly not when her friend is in danger. 

“Shuhua.” Soojin says in as much a calm tone as she could. “I’ll be okay. Please, go.” 

The man tightens his grip and has the blade on Soojin’s throat. “Shut up! I am in charge!”

Shuhua’s mind goes blank, afraid that he would cut into Soojin’s delicate skin. “You’re in charge. I understand.” Shuhua finally says. “Take me instead.”

“No.” Soojin gasps.

“What? No.” The man bellows again. “Go away!”

“She’s a nobody.” Soojin has her civilian clothes on. Her handbag lays nearby on the floor. “She’s just a civilian … look at me.” Shuhua points to herself in the blue scrubs. “I’m a doctor. A surgeon.” She swallows hard, praying that she’s doing the right thing. “Take the power away from me.” She stares straight into the man’s eyes.

Soojin stares at Shuhua. Her expression hardly changes, she doesn’t seem scared or upset. Rather, she’s a lot calmer than the people around. Though, one can tell that she’s listening intently to Shuhua’s selfless words. The man is clearly confused. He looks down at Soojin, who is dressed in a nice skirt and top, but one wouldn’t know that she’s also a surgeon. He had just grabbed her because she happened to walk by him when he decided to act. Taking a surgeon … that’s the true way to take power. He seems to consider his options for a moment.

“C’mon. Hurry before the police gets here. You know they care about a doctor more than a regular person.” Shuhua tries to make his decision for him.

“Shut up!” He screams again, holding the knife in front of him and pointing toward Shuhua. “What do you want?” He may be crazy, but he’s not stupid. No one volunteers to be hostage for no reason.

“For you to let her go.” Shuhua says firmly, her eyes finally daring to look into Soojin’s. “I want her to be safe.” Just one look at Soojin and Shuhua has all the courage in the world. She tightens her hands into fists, trying to keep the shaky nerves away.

The man is more confused than ever, but there is a momentary distraction when the sounds of sirens and the flashing of police lights start to get closer. Briefly, he looks toward the main entrance of the hospital and weighs his option. Almost deciding to switch Soojin for Shuhua, his grip loosen just a moment. As if Soojin has been waiting for that opportunity, she swiftly pulls her elbow back like a lever and hits him in the gut. As she tilts over, she stomp her high-heel down on his foot then does a quick turn and elbows him in the face.

The whole thing is over in two seconds. Shuhua witness it up close, but she couldn’t even tell what happened. It was a blur how fast it happened. The guy is now on the ground clutching his gut and bleeding nose. It probably is broken. Shuhua’s mouth is open as she stares at Soojin, who swiftly turns around and kicks the man one more time in the shin. Security officers rush forward to hold the guy before the police gets there.

Soojin picks up her purse and walks over to Shuhua. 

“Unnie …” Shuhua remembers how to breathe again. She blinks at Soojin than points at the man. “You … how?”

Soojin shrugs. “Did Tae Kwon Do and self-defense when I was a kid.” She hisses and touches her neck. There is blood on her fingertips. The man had put a line on Soojin’s flawless chin. Shuhua wishes she could also land a few punches on that jerk.

“Thanks.” Soojin tries to be nonchalant about the situation.

“Let’s go get your wound cleaned up.” Shuhua steps closer to try to see Soojin’s wound.

“It’s a minor cut …”

“No, come with me. Don’t be stubborn, I don’t want you to have a scar.” Shuhua pulls Soojin toward the emergency department, leaving a stunned crowd behind.

“So you won’t like me anymore if I have a scar?” Soojin playfully teases, as if she didn’t just have a knife to .

“No … I’m afraid I might like you even more.”

“Oh …” Soojin blushes for the first time in a long time. “Well … maybe I want a scar.”

“Quit playing with me, Unnie.” Shuhua seats Soojin on a chair and gets the first aid kit.  Soojin chuckles. Luckily, the cut is just a two-inch long scratch. Shuhua disinfects and apply some ointment to help heal faster. Forgetting about their early morning interaction, Soojin sits still and lets this serious Dr. Yeh Shuhua take care of her. There’s something rather attractive about Shuhua’s furrowed brows when she concentrates. As the adrenaline wears off and Soojin’s body catches up to the breathes she’s been holding, her hands start to shake a little. She’s been holding it in for so long that Shuhua’s attentive treatment has made her relax her tension.

“There … all done.” Shuhua breathes easy after she puts the bandaid on the wound.

“Thank you.” Soojin timidly nods before getting up from the chair. “I’ll see you later.”

“No, let me walk you to your car.” 

“I’m fine, really.”

“I insist.” Shuhua’s firm voice really surprises Soojin. The older woman has no choice by to agree.

As they walk out of the ER, Dr. Sunny happens to be walking in. She spots Soojin and Shuhua walking side by side. Thinking that her advice has given fruit, she simply smiles widely and holds up two thumbs as if congratulating Shuhua. When she receives an icy glare back from Shuhua, Dr. Sunny is visibly confused. Has her signature aegyo not work as planned? Why was Soojin injured? Usually the aegyo would lead the aegyo giver to be injured instead of the receiver … strange. Shuhua must have done something wrong is what Dr. Sunny concludes.

 

 

“That’s the last of my boxes …” Soyeon collapses onto the floor in the living room. “I can’t take the stairs anymore.”

Yuqi collapses next to her. “I’m so done with stairs.”

They have been prepping as soon as they got home from work. After three days, they finally finished cleaning their old apartment and moving into the new one. This one has two bedrooms and a spacious balcony. It feels a lot nicer than their old cramped studio apartments.

“My legs are all jelly.” Soyeon flops her arms and legs around to demonstrate her point.

“I can’t even feel mine anymore. I must be getting old because I don’t think I’m able to get up from this spot right now.” Yuqi is spread out on the floor like  a starfish.

Soyeon turns to her side and stares at her friend. “Hey, Yuqi … happy birthday.” 

“Thank you.” Yuqi is able to turn her head to face her friend. 

“Sorry we had to move on your birthday.” It was the only two bedroom apartment available for months. The earliest date they could move in was September 23rd, Yuqi’s birthday. The Chinese girl does not seem to mind one bit. 

“Don’t worry about it.” Yuqi shakes her head. “I’m happy to have a friend to spend my birthday with …”

A loud knock interrupts their conversation. They look at each other, both not wanting to get up. 

“Must be the food …” Since it’s Yuqi’s birthday, Soyeon gets up. 

“You ordered food?” Yuqi excitedly asks.

“Hello.” Soyeon opens the door and greets the quartet at the door. “Come on in …” She steps aside to let Soojin, Minnie, Miyeon, and Shuhua into the apartment.

Yuqi sits up in surprise. “What is happening?”

“Yuqi-yah, you can’t tell we’re here to celebrate your birthday?” Shuhua loudly exclaims.

“Nobody told me!” Yuqi loudly responds.

“It wouldn’t be a surprise anymore, would it?” Soojin smiles as she carries several bags into the apartment.

They don’t even have a table or chairs for guests yet, so they set up an old fashioned, low budget Asian gathering. That means newspapers are spread on the ground for them to cover the floors. They put the food on top and just sits in a circle on the floor. The order of the girls are Soyeon, Yuqi, Minnie, Soojin, Shuhua, and Miyeon. Shuhua puts down the two boxes of pizza that she brought. Soojin brought fried chicken. Minnie brought tteokbokki and kimbab. Miyeon brought some beer and soju. Plates, glasses, and plastic wares are distributed before they start.

“Wow, all this is for me?” Yuqi’s wide eyes get even rounder. 

“Sure, Yuqi. Eat it all while we watch you.” Shuhua spreads her arms out as if she’s showcasing the food. “It’s your very own mukbang.”

“Oh … I have to maintain my figure you know? Sooo … you girls can have some, too.” Yuqi laughs along with everyone.

“You can have the first pick, Yuqi.” Miyeon holds up two bottles. “Beer or soju?”

Yuqi’s face hesitates. “I don’t know if you’ll like drunk me …” If Yuqi is normally loud, drunk Yuqi is up for the imagination of everyone. There is a moment of hesitation as they look to each other, gaging if they can handle drunk Yuqi. But, then again, that’s something for Soyeon to handle and she seems capable enough.

“Both, then!” Shuhua suddenly says and grabs both bottles to pour into Yuqi’s glass, making a somaek.

“Yah yah yah!” Soyeon laughs. “Please don’t get her drunk. I have to live with her, you know?” She teases Yuqi, who gives her a signature side-eye. “My eardrums won’t be able to handle it.”

Minnie pours beer into hers and Soojin’s glass while Shuhua makes another somaek in Miyeon’s glass. Soyeon pours herself a glass of beer and waits for everyone to have their drink before raising hers up for a toast. “Thank you everyone for coming to celebrate young Yuqi’s birthday. I’m thankful everyday for a friend like her, who’s always full of energy and smiles. Happy Birthday, Yuqi!” They cheers together in a loud toast before each drinking the whole content of their glass. It takes a moment before the alcohol warms them up. 

“How are you doing, Soojin?” Miyeon turns to Soojin, on the other side of Shuhua.

“I’m okay.” Soojin coolly replies as all eyes turn to her. “Stop looking at me …” She is suddenly shy of the attention. “I’m not heavily injured or anything.”

“I heard it was super scary.” Yuqi puts her glass down. “Some of the nurses said that he was deranged and had a giant machete!”

“I heard that you dropped him with a wrestling powerslam move and broke his neck.” Soyeon gives Soojin a thumb-up for her supposed skill.

“I heard that you kicked him in the balls then stepped on his face with your high-heel.” Minnie speaks for the first time.

“I heard …” Miyeon starts, but Shuhua cuts in. “Hey that’s all wrong!” Soojin feels relieved that the person who was actually at the scene will set the record straight. She is about to explode from all tall-tales being told.

“You only heard a fraction of Soojin-unnie’s awesomeness! She was amazing! It only took her one move like a Tae Kwon Do master.” Shuhua pretends to act out some random moves that really didn’t have anything to do with what Soojin did. “She did break his nose though … and his shin …”

“Stop.” Soojin holds out her hand in front of her. “Please, stop.”

They all laugh at how red Soojin has gotten, whether from the alcohol or from shyness, she is completely crimson from ear to ear. 

“Ugh, you guys are the worst.” Soojin rolls her eyes  and pours another drink.

“You know who’s the worst?” Shuhua pipes up after taking a bite of pizza. “Dr. Sunny!” She answers without waiting for anyone to guess.

“The overnight ER doctor?” Miyeon asks before taking a bite of chicken.

“Yeah!”

“What’d she do to you?” Yuqi laughs at Shuhua’s face, puffed out with annoyance.

“She told me to use aegyo to seduce Soojin-unnie.” Shuhua answers truthfully.

Soojin, in the middle of drinking her beer, chokes on the drink. “W-why are you bringing that up?”

“She did!” Shuhua retells the tale of Dr. Sunny’s ‘aegyo that calls for a punch’.

“Omo omo omo!” Soyeon laughs so hard she starts to tear. “That’s definitely worse than Dr. Moon Byuli’s cheesy pick up lines that she uses on Soojin.”

“What?” Shuhua turns completely serious. “What pick up lines?” She turns to Soojin, expecting an explanation. The older woman just pretends not to notice.

“Yeah, she hits on everyone, but I think she enjoys teasing Soojin the most.” Soyeon is a lot more talkative with alcohol.

Shuhua has a frown on her face, thinking about someone else using smooth lines on Soojin. That really irritates her for some reason, even though she knows that Dr. Moon probably doesn’t mean anything by it. Sensing a weird shift in mood, Miyeon clears . “Did everyone enter their name for the Chuseok lottery?” The Chuseok lottery happy the week before the Chuseok holiday, where the luckiest people will get the entire three days off. Some lucky people will have a day or two off while the unluckiest of people will have no day off. Everyone nods. 

“I entered my name the day they allowed sign up.” Yuqi really want to take a few days to clean the apartment and get everything organized. 

“I hope I get the holiday this year.” Miyeon sighs. “I had to work the entire break last year.” Her eyes briefly lingers on Minnie before turning back to her food.

Yuqi turns to Minnie, who has been eating silently for the most part. “What about you, Minnie? Did you have a break last year?”

Minnie blinks a few times before actually catching up to the conversation. “Um … yeah. I had a day off.”

“Cool. I hope I get at least one.” Soyeon adds. Yuqi briefly turns to her and their eyes meet. They have noticed Minnie and Miyeon avoiding talking to each other. They even deliberately not sit next to each other. Soyeon and Yuqi can’t say anything, but can try to keep Minnie engaged in the conversation. They break into small conversations between two or three people at one point or another as they continue to eat and drink.

“On the fall schedule, I saw a mountain retreat planned in the middle of November?” Shuhua turns to Soojin, who nods with confirmation. Everyone starts to listen as a whole group again.

“It happens every year during November. It’s part of a team building initiative to bring residents together and ensure collaboration between the different specialties. After all, we’re treating a whole person not just parts.” Soojin explains calmly.

“Soojinie likes to walk and hike so she had a lot of fun last year.” Miyeon adds and nudges Shuhua’s side. “We get to partner up during the hike.”

“Oh.” Shuhua almost leaps up in excitement. 

“Don’t even think about it.” Soojin deflates Shuhua’s excitement a little bit. They argue between each other as an alcohol-induced bold Shuhua tries to to hug Soojin, who swiftly jabs her in the stomach. Once again, the conversation breaks up into smaller ones between the women.

“What about winter? Anyone has any plans for that?” Soyeon asks everyone again after a short time.

As a group, they look at each other before all shaking their heads.

“How about we go somewhere … like a hot spring?” Soyeon turns to Yuqi, who nods excitedly.

“Hot spring!” Yuqi cheers at her max tipsy voice. “I like hot spring!”

“YEAH!” Miyeon’s suddenly outburst startles everyone. She is completely red, having drank a lot of beer and soju by herself without anyone really noticing. 

“Okay, we will plan for that then.” Soyeon laughs as Yuqi and Miyeon reach across the food to high-five each other. 

“Leggo!” Yuqi declares loudly.

“Leggooooo!” Miyeon drags out the word before the world spins in front of her eyes and she just falls to the side.

“Omo!” Shuhua manages to catch the eldest and lets Miyeon’s head lull onto her shoulder. “Is she for real?” The older woman is completely passed out.

Soyeon turn to see Minnie staring worriedly at her best friend. The whole night, she’s been eating and smiling but not saying much, quite opposite of the Minnie they’ve seen before. Now that Miyeon is passed out, Minnie puts down her drink and turns to Yuqi. “Um … do you have water to drink?” She smiles softly. 

“Water! Soyeon! Water for our guest!” Yuqi yells at the top of her voice as if Soyeon is not right next to her.

“Alright, alright. I got it.” Soyeon points to the kitchen area and gets up to go get Minnie a glass of water.

“Thanks, Soyeon.” Minnie accepts it gratefully when Soyeon comes back. 

“You’re not drinking anymore?” Soojin asks, remembering the amount Minnie used to drink when they went out together.

“No.” Minnie shakes her head then points at Miyeon. “I’m going to have to take that one home, so I better sober up now.” Soyeon listens in. Minnie is still thoughtful and caring for Miyeon, even through whatever weirdness is going on between them.

The women chat and tries to eat up what food they could before cleaning up. Yuqi is too lively when she’s drunk is what they decide. Because instead of cleaning, she keeps trying to get them to drink more with her. Eventually, everything gets put away and they waves their good nights.

“Good night, everyone. Thank you for coming and surprising me!” Yuqi loudly waves from the fourth floor of her apartment, yelling down at her friends for the fifth time in the night. Soyeon tries to pull her away from the balcony, but the very tipsy girl keeps trying to scream some more. It’s almost midnight, Soyeon would like to not get kicked out of the apartment that they just moved into. Soyeon feels the weight of Yuqi’s head on her shoulder as she wraps her arms around Soyeon’s waist. Is it getting hot in here? “Let’s go to bed. Okay, Yuqi-ah?”

 

 

“Good night, Minnie. Good night, Miyeon.” Soojin waves to the other two as they get into the same car. Even though they had come separately, Miyeon had a little too much to drink so Minnie decided to drive her home. They two look like they should have a serious talk, but Miyeon got too plastered so that’s probably not going to happen.

“Good night!” Shuhua yells and waves at them. 

Minnie smiles and waves back. She reaches over to buckle Miyeon’s seatbelt, which trying to avoid her friend’s alcohol breath. She starts the car and drives toward Miyeon’s apartment.

“Good night, Soojin-unnie.” Shuhua bows, who knew she could be so cute and polite.

“Where are you going?” Soojin stops by her car.

“The bus stop. I think the last bus will be here in a few minutes.” Shuhua looks at her watch just to make sure of the time.

“Get in. I’ll take you home.” Soojin says coolly as she unlocks her car.

“Um …” Shuhua raises her voice. “You don’t have to. It’s late and I know you have an early morning tomorrow …”

“Just get in.” Soojin walks toward Shuhua and reaches for the younger girl’s hand, pulling her toward the car. “It is late.”

Shuhua’s cheeks get a nice rosy color. She wraps her fingers around Soojin’s hand as she allows herself to be pulled along by Soojin. “Okay, Soojin-unnie.” In a sweet and demure voice, she agrees.

Soojin opens the door for Shuhua and shuts it after the younger girl has gotten in. Her heart beats faster and her cheeks feel hot. Must be the alcohol. Without another word, Soojin gets into the car and turns on the engine. 

“What’s your address?” Soojin pulls out her phone to get to the maps function.

“Um …” Shuhua tries to remember her own address as this situation is a lot more than she could’ve hoped for.

Soojin waits for a few seconds. “And?”

“Can we take a walk instead, Soojin-unnie?” Shuhua turns and blurts out.

Soojin stares into those wide eyes as considers the request. “At this time?”

“Yes! I’m really full, I don’t think I can sleep with a full stomach … and I heard that you like to take walks.” 

“Who told you that?”

“Your attending told Dr. Lee.” 

Soojin makes a mental note to file a Human Resources complaint about her meddling attending later.

“Can we?” Shuhua’s hopeful eyes are on full wattage.

Acting as if she’s indifferent, Soojin sighs. “Fine.”

It takes a few minutes of driving before they get to a park that leads to one of the Han River walking paths. They get out of the car and look around. There are still people walking and biking at this time. The path is well lit and have plenty of stores and stalls around. The air is warm, though a bit windy. The breeze carries the smell of the river with it.

Shuhua brushes her hair from her eyes, but the wind keeps whipping it back in her face. She starts to follow after Soojin, who started to walk after walking her car. 

They walk in silence side-by-side for several minutes before Shuhua asks. “Would you like some ice-cream, unnie?”

“Sure.” Soojin agrees so quickly that it really surprised Shuhua. 

“What flavor would you like?” Shuhua asks.

“Surprise me.” Soojin smiles and waves for the younger woman to go.

The younger woman tells Soojin to wait for her and runs off toward a small stall nearby. Soojin leans against a railing and watches the young woman from afar. Shuhua runs cutely toward the vendor. Even placing ice cream order, Shuhua is very animated. Soojin can’t help but smile, remembering how brave the younger woman was when she offered to take Soojin’s place. Soojin can’t tell if the kid is crazy or genuinely liking her. No one would have done something like that for Soojin. Maybe her family members, but friends and past lovers … she can’t think of a single person. She can’t help thinking back to that moment constantly. 

“Here, Soojin-unnie.” Shuhua comes back and hands Soojin a cone. Chocolate. Just like Shuhua’s.

“Thank you.” Soojin snaps out of her reminiscent mood and accepts the cone from Shuhua.

“You’re welcome.”

They start to walk a little toward one direction, quietly eating their ice cream and enjoying each other’s company.

“How are you doing, Soojin-unnie?” Shuhua finally talks after walking in silence for a little while. 

“I’m fine.” Soojin looks over and smiles softly. She knows why Shuhua is asking. She’s been off work for a little over a week, having to see the counselor and waiting to be cleared to go back to work. Soojin would like to think that she’s made of tougher stuff, but part of her is glad for the support. “I’m getting plenty of rest, so I’m doing okay. If anything, I’m a little bored at home right now.”

Shuhua’s mouth forms a little ‘o’ and she nods. “Your cut healed nicely, too.” She the ice cream that is quickly melting in the warm air. “I’ve missed you the past few days.”

“Yes. Thanks to a talented doctor.” Soojin teases and unconsciously reaches up to touch her cut. “Have you been eating okay?” Soojin, who has been Shuhua’s lunch provider, asks. 

“Yes, unnie. Miyeon has been buying me lunch.” Shuhua rolls her eyes as if she’s not fond of Miyeon. Soojin smiles, knowing that it’s far from the case.

“Why do you use honorifics with me and not Miyeon? She’s older than me.” Soojin the stickiness from her lips. “Are we not closed like you and Miyeon?”

Put on the spot, Shuhua stutters. “N-no, that’s n-not it at all!” She yelps, frantically trying to explain. “I like and r-respect you a lot!” She almost drops the rest of her ice cream in panic.

“So you don’t like or respect Miyeon?”

“That’s not it either … I don’t like or respect her as much as I do you.”

“I see.” Soojin smiles coyly and continues to walk.

Shuhua could follow the hot-and-cold girl until the end of time. After some time wandering around, they go back to the car and head to Shuhua’s place. The drive is quiet and Shuhua starts to doze off a few times. It’s been a long day for her and it is very late at night. Soojin makes sure to watch Shuhua walk through the apartment’s door before driving away.

 

 

Miyeon is drunk. Black out, unresponsive drunk. Minnie stares at the beautiful woman, whose hair is covering her face, in her passenger seat. “Miyeon-ah …” She softly calls as she gently shakes Miyeon’s shoulder. No response.

Sighing, Minnie gets out of the car and goes around to Miyeon’s side. It’s going to be hard dragging this girl up to her apartment, no matter how light she is. Minnie leans over again to unbuckle Miyeon’s seatbelt before pulling her friend out of the car. “Oof.” She bears the weight on one side while she locks her car. 

This was not how Minnie imagined for her night to go. She had planned on drinking alone after getting home and crying some more. However, this is much more self-punishment than she could ever plan. With careful steps, Minnie manages to get Miyeon into the elevator. They lean against the furthest wall, with Miyeon’s head lulling around on Minnie’s shoulder.

At this point, Minnie is just dragging Miyeon along because the other woman doesn’t have the consciousness to move anything. Beads of sweat form on Minnie’s brows when she finally makes it to Miyeon’s front door. “Miyeon-ssi, you’re home.” Minnie grumpily declares as she keys in Miyeon’s door code. Of course they would know each other’s door code. They’re best friends after all.

Minnie kicks the door closed behind her and drags Miyeon into the bedroom. One look at the bed makes Minnie blush. Her thoughts wander back to the nights she’s spent here. Her skin still remembers the warmth from Miyeon’s skin. It felt so good to hold Miyeon in her arms at those times … only for the morning to bring Minnie back to reality. But, this is not one of those times nor is it the moment to start reminiscing. Minnie snaps herself out of the thoughts again and drops Miyeon onto the bed. The older woman is still wearing her street clothes. Deja vu hits when Minnie undresses Miyeon so she could put her into PJs. For the first time in a while, Minnie isn’t clouded by grief or alcohol. She admires Miyeon’s delicate, alluring body as she pulls her jeans and t-shirt off. 

Minnie’s cheeks warm as she looks at her friend in this light. Miyeon is so kind. So sweet. So attractive. So much more than Minnie deserves. Minnie turns quickly and looks through Miyeon’s closet for her PJs. Finding something very quickly, she puts Miyeon into the clothes and tucks her into bed. Minnie has to get out of here before this turns into something that she would regret. She can’t do this to Miyeon. No. Miyeon deserves much more than whatever Minnie is willing to give.

“Minnie-ah …” Miyeon mutters, pulling Minnie out of her own thoughts again.

The woman is not conscious.

“I love you … Minnie-ah …” Miyeon frowns in her stupor, perhaps dreaming of some scenario where a more deserving Minnie would say it back.

Feeling panicked, Minnie turns on her heels and quickly runs out of the apartment. She runs all the way to her car and slams the door as she gets in. Hot tears start to stream down her face again as she slams her hands into the steering wheel. She wants to say it back, but why can’t she? Because she doesn’t deserve such love. How could a weak failure like her accept this love? Miyeon is so much more than Minnie could ever hope for. What if one day Miyeon leaves her, too? That loss would simply be too great for Minnie to bear. “I’m such a ing coward …” She cries between sobs.

As she cries, Minnie’s phone bleeps an event reminder tone that happens at midnight. It wanted to remind Minnie that Somi’s birthday is in two days, September 26th. Minnie cries harder as she is reminded of what was lost.

 

“Hey, Miyeon.” Soojin waves at her friend when she sees Miyeon strolling toward her.

“Good morning, Soojin.” Miyeon waves back as she pulls her luggage along.

“Ready to go?” Soojin motions toward the train.

“Yeah.” Miyeon nods with an excited smile.

Chuseok holiday officially starts for them today, September 30th. They managed to win the resident lottery and get the next three days off. They both decide to go home to visit their family.

Soyeon and Yuqi were lucky enough to get one day off. Meanwhile, unlucky Shuhua and Minnie have zero day off.

 


This all took place in September.

How'd you like this chapter? It was hard to write since I had a trip in the middle of the week. Yuyeon and Sooshu are chugging along in a slowish burn. Mimin has a hiccup but what's a little angst here and there. I hope you've enjoyed reading another long chapter. Thanks for all the comments and subscriptions!