LA LA

After 18

July 13.

Today, Hwiyoung meets Junwoo.

This time with a little less tension, and a little more things to talk about.

“I’m glad you got to talk to Soobin,” Junwoo starts.

“Thanks for telling me about it,” Hwiyoung tells him. If there’s anything he’s learned from the people he talked to so far, it’s that it’s better to just speak out, and that’s exactly what he plans to do today.

He smiles and takes one of the rice balls the other bought for them. Junwoo follows suit, and the two allow silence to take over for a bit.

“So… Were you going to tell me anything?” The taller asks.

“Actually, I was gonna ask if you wanted to hang out,” Junwoo says.

“You and me?” Hwiyoung asked again, raising an eyebrow. “No offense.”

“Non taken - Soobin and Gitae’ll be there too… And Oh-je…” Don’t think Hwiyoung didn’t notice the time it took before Junwoo would mutter the last name, he just plans to focus on something else first.

“Gitae? Sohye’s okay with that?”

“Honestly no idea, Gitae just agreed. Though Soobin said Sohye’s busy, so maybe she didn’t know…”

“I hope not, I don’t plan on giving more reasons for Sohye to hate me.”

Hwiyoung would consider Junwoo’s reaction a chuckle, but it was more like an extra sharp exhale from his nose. He decides it was the former for the sake of his comfort.

“So, are you up for it?”

“When is it?”

“Tomorrow, around 4.”

He doesn’t want to be mean, but right now he has no idea if it would be good to join. Because sure he was able to come to good terms with most of them now, but he can already assume Junwoo and Soobin will be focusing on each other (he can’t blame them, the girl told him his mother still tries to restrict the amount of times the two get to meet up). Plus, he doesn’t want to cling on Oh-je for attention since they’ve only started becoming friends days ago - that and there’s something about the way Junwoo mentioned his best-friend that made Hwiyoung feel like he shouldn’t. Lastly, he hasn’t even been able to meet Gitae and, on that note, he reminds himself to try contacting the guy soon.

He can’t help but wonder, how the hell will he keep himself from overthinking throughout the entire meet up?

“Uh, can I bring a friend?” 

He’s already regretting the question.

“Sure, have I met them?”

“Yeah, it’s Sanghoon.”

“Oh.”

Soon enough, the two cleaned up the table they were at and exited the convenience store, Junwoo accompanying Hwiyoung back to his part-time job.

“Uh, Gitae… He didn’t change his number, right?”

Yes, Hwiyoung knows it’s a pretty dumb question. However, he didn’t know how else he’d bring the guy up so for now, he'll take what he can get.

“Nope,” Junwoo replies. “You should definitely talk to him.”

Finally, they reach the gas station. 

“Uh, Junwoo?” Said boy turned to him with his eyebrows raised.

“Thank you,” Hwiyoung decides to tell him.

The boy simply smiles and takes his leave, waving shortly before he turns his back. Through this, Hwiyoung would like to hypothesize that the boy does care for him. That is, unless Soobin has been trying to look over him through her boyfriend since the latter would have more freedom. Honestly, to him, it did seem like the more sensible reason.

While Hwiyoung goes on to his job, wondering how the hell can he casually bring up the hangout to Sanghoon, the man of the hour was seen walking up to his station. Stuck in mental simulation of possible scenarios, he didn’t hear said friend shout his name, nor notice the guy run up to him. 

He also didn’t notice Junwoo trying to make sense out of hearing Hwiyoung willingly asking to be in the same area as Sanghoon, nor did he see Junwoo holding in his bewilderment when he hears the latter call Hwiyoung’s name and run up to him. To be fair, it’s not like Hwiyoung can sense bewilderment if all he’d see is the same blank face with slightly wider eyes.

“What’s making my Hwiyoung so distracted?” Sanghoon throws an arm around his friend, startling the boy. Seeing Hwiyoung’s wide eyes, he became even more curious of what was on his mind.

“Hey… Sanghoon…” The part-timer trails off. “Can I ask for a favor?”

“Wait - is this good or bad?”

“Oh- oh no it’s nothing too bad...” Hwiyoung attempted to smile, too bad his attempt scared his friend even more.

“You’re freaking me out - just tell me what’s going on.”

“Fine,” it was evident that the boy was still nervous. “You see, Junwoo actually visited me earlier…”

“Really? I didn’t see him though?”

“Yeah, I think he left before you walked in. Anyway, he visited me - wait scratch that it sounds like I’m in jail - he met up with me and asked if I wanted to hang out with him and the others tomorrow.”

“Interesting, who’re the others?”

“Uhh him, Soobin, Gitae-”

“Ex-lackey?” 

Gitae, and Oh-je.”

“Oh, so like, not a classroom reunion.”

Hwiyoung remembers the rest of the people in his class, the majority of which probably still detest him.

“Absolutely not, I would’ve said no had it been.” Hwiyoung says.

“Okay, then what’s the problem?”

The taller wonders, would Sanghoon be able to understand if he simply looks at his emotive eyes?

“Uh, do you wanna go pee?”

Guess not. 

“No - listen, I can’t just go alone. I don’t even know if they’d be comfy with me joining in.”

“And…?”

Hwiyoung should’ve just been straightforward - trying to spell it out is, for some reason, way more difficult.

“Can you come with me?”

Although he didn’t close his eyes right after asking, the taller immediately looked to the direction opposite where his friends stood. When was the last time he’s asked something like this? Actually, did he ever?

Though, he is a bit amused at the realization that, despite the many big questions he’s asked so far, his heart still races quickly after each one. Hopefully, like every other question, he’ll be able to receive a favorable answer here too.

“Hwiyoung, that’s it?” Sanghoon couldn’t help but let out a loud laugh. The nervous boy turned his head to look at his friend, while confusion plasters his face.

“I thought it was something horrible, you know.” The giggly boy added in between his laughter. “I’d love to join you! What made you think I’d say no?”

“Shut up,” Hwiyoung pouted.

“Aww, are you shy now? Don’t worry, I’ll just like, never forget this moment in my entire life.” Pretending to write in a diary, Sanghoon proceeds to tease the boy, “Dear diary, I have been blessed with the once-in-a-lifetime chance to be needed by the Hwiyoung! I thank all my past lives for their hard work - ow!”

“I have a customer.” The part-timer smiles and points at the car coming closer, as if he didn’t just pinch Sanghoon’s arm with all his will.

 

It was finally two in the afternoon, so Hwiyoung was getting ready to end his shift. Sanghoon already left for lunch earlier, and that left the part-timer time to wonder if he should attempt to cook for himself today.

Well, that was what he thought.

“So, I was thinking…” And so his thought was proving wrong, seeing the boy talk in front of him right now.

“Can I entertain those thoughts after eating?” There was one thing on Hwiyoung’s mind, and that was food. Specifically tteokbokki, he isn’t sure why but he’s craving it.

“It’s okay I’ll make it simple - let’s hang out today!”

“Eh?”

“Think about it! You probably have no idea how to act when you’ll meet up with all of them - don’t deny you know I’m right. If you loosen up a bit today, it might be easier for you tomorrow.”

Hwiyoung hates to admit it, but the boy’s making a lot of sense to him.

Also yes fine, he was going to stress over the hangout before sleeping today, but he isn’t saying that aloud.

“So, what d’you say?”

“Okay, fine. But can we eat first?” His stomach doesn’t hide that, not with the growl that comes from the boy right after he spoke.

“Sure, I know the perfect place!”

You know, Hwiyoung didn’t think Sanghoon would be correct.

But here they are, sitting inside a tteokbokki shop, being served by his new friend by the name of Jung Oh-je. Sanghoon didn’t hear it, but he definitely ticked all the boxes at their first stop.

As the familiar face approaches the two, Hwiyoung tries to hide excitement with his fingers tapping on the table lightly. Sanghoon notices the little habit and, though unsure why his friend was doing so, joined him in the act. And so here was Oh-je, wondering if they had some super secret smart code to talk to each other secretly.

“Hi Hwiyoung,” the server smiles warmly. “Hi… Sanghoon, right?”

“Yup!” The latter responded, while Hwiyoung gave a smile back. A smile that, he hopes, gives the same impression as his laugh from before.

“So, what do I get you two?”

 

Once the food was placed in front of the two, they said their thanks and immediately dove in. They allowed themselves to focus on the dishes in front of them, letting the noise from the people at nearby tables and the music played faintly in the shop take over. Soon enough, they were nearly done, signaled by the small conversations they’d have while taking the last few pieces of the spicy rice cakes. 

“Glad I brought you here, hm?”

Although Hwiyoung didn’t give a verbal response, Sanghoon noticed him nodding before focusing back on his plate.

“I feel so loved, thanks bestie.” The silent friend simply gives him a thumbs up.

“Mind if I join you two?” Oh-je asks. Although one certain teen was so focused on the tteokbokki that he now stuffed in his mouth, he did not let that hold him back from nodding vigorously with a smile. 

“You two became friends yesterday and he’s already this nice?” Sanghoon asks dramatically, placing a hand on his chest. “Miraculous!”

Hwiyoung quickly held up his hand in front of the distressed teen, signalling him to pause. While the latter is slightly confused, the former takes this as the chance to chew and swallow the food in his mouth.

“I would like to speak,” Hwiyoung says. “In my defense, you used to threaten me then walked into my work out of nowhere-”

“I have no idea what you’re talking about, it was just destiny! I saw you the moment I walked to that street - first time I walked to that area by the way!”

And while Hwiyoung snorts at his friend’s antics, Oh-je’s eyes crinkled as he laughed at what unfolded in front of him. 

“So Oh-je, I heard that you’ll be joining us tomorrow?”

“Us?” Mentioned boy had a confused look on his face. No, Junwoo has yet to inform them about the extra invite.

“I asked if he could join us,” Hwiyoung explained. “It’s okay, he will behave.”

“Not with that tone I won’t, “ Sanghoon interjects. 

“Sorry, sir.” The former gives a small peace sign with a blank face. 

And as the blank-faced teen tries to get away from his friend’s hands ready to pinch his cheeks, Oh-je smiles at what he’s noticed. After everything that he’s seen the taller go through, it’s refreshing to see a more relaxed Hwiyoung. Hopefully he’d get to see more of this with the rest of their friends tomorrow.

 

“Thanks Oh-je!” Sanghoon says while opening the door.

“See you tomorrow,” Hwiyoung beams. 

“See you,” Oh-je returns the smile. “And you’re welcome!” He says to the teen walking out the shop.

“Uh, Oh-je?”

“Hm?”

“You must be really busy and everything…”

“Oh, yeah but it’s nothing too much! My dad was actually able to afford one new part-timer so I don’t have as much on my plate here.”

“Still take care of yourself, don’t skip your meals… And stay hydrated.” Hwiyoung gives himself a mental pat on the back for not jumbling his words up.

“Of course! You should do the same, you’re working too right?”

“Yeah…” The taller teen slowly held the door himself. “Bye.”

“Bye!”

As Hwiyoung exits the shop, he sees his friend waiting with an odd expression. Should he question it?

“What’s up with that face?” 

“Nothing, nothing.” Sanghoon decides to keep his assumptions to himself, for now. “So, where to next?” The two start walking away from the shop.

“Didn’t you come up with the idea?”

“Well, I don’t really feel like you need to learn how to act in the movies.” When they asked Oh-je where they’d probably go tomorrow, he mentioned that they would most likely watch a movie and eat outside. Evidently, Sanghoon didn’t really feel like sitting in the same cinema they’ll be in tomorrow.

“If that’s the case, do we still need to go around?”

“Hwiyoung, I know I said I was here to help you out with tomorrow, but I also just wanna hang out. Is that so bad?”

“Seeing each other at work isn’t enough?”

“You don’t wanna hang out with me?”

“What?”

Hwiyoung halts at the question and looks at Sanghoon. 

“If you’re tired, that’s okay.” The latter reasons after halting his steps as well.

“It’s not that, it’s just...” Hwiyoung attempts to articulate how he felt, but it was to no avail. Noticing the silence, his friend ruffles his bangs while wondering what to say.

“Let’s just try here, okay? If you still don’t want to after, that’s okay.” Sanghoon speaks in a softer voice, somehow still managing to keep his natural bright tone. He quickly looks around them to see if there’s some place they can check. “How about karaoke, wanna try that?”

Slightly convinced, Hwiyoung agrees to the suggestion. 

 

When Hwiyoung entered the room, he expected to see the huge karaoke screen along with funky bright-colored lights. Everything that makes the room like every other room he found himself leaving as quick as possible.

So he honestly thought he’d just be watching Sanghoon singing while he sits at the couch and claps along.

It seems that he failed to consider the unstoppable force that is Sanghoon persuading him to join.

“Here, choose a song... please?” He asks, dragging the last word as he notices the blank face on his friend.

Hwiyoung sighs and looks at the choices, but he barely recognizes any of the songs - even if he did, he barely remembers them. As he continues to look at the never-ending list, the teen beside him forms an idea.

“How about this...” He speaks up while typing in his suggestion. “Do you know it?”

“I heard it once, I think.” The other answers while reading the song title: Immature by Winner.

“That’s great! It’s easy to sing along - I know it by heart so I can sing most of it, but you'll get the hang of it easy!” Sanghoon immediately plays the familiar song, pulling Hwiyoung up from the couch. “Even when you don’t, you can always dance around!”

“Wait, what dance-”

Sanghoon didn’t waste any more time, immediately getting into a pose that, to the still teen, looks a bit weird.

And if it wasn’t surprising enough, the oddly-posed teen prances up to his friend, shouting the first three syllables like his life depended on it.

Safe to say, Sanghoon might as well be an expert in making Hwiyoung laugh.

 

-----------

 

“Why do you look so -faced?” Hwiyoung asks the teen, who just exited the convenience store.

It’s been a good hour of two teens screaming at the karaoke machine, and they finally decided to leave the place (the owner was indeed joyous). So, now walking around the streets, they took a stop by an establishment that is apparently very familiar to Sanghoon.

“How old do I look to you, Hwiyoung?” 

“What?”

“Answer the question first!”

“Uh, eighteen? I guess?” The taller quickly helped his friend holding onto his shoulders, looking like he was about to fall flat on the parking lot.

“Can’t believe I need to wait for two more years!” Sanghoon exasperatedly sighs.

“Are you okay?” Don’t be fooled by the caring question, the boy barely held in his laughter from how random the exclamation was. 

“I just want a beer - can’t I have one can of beer?” 

“Woah - you drink?”

“Yeah, and just to be clear no my dad isn’t mad at it; if anything he was the one that made me try it,” Sanghoon turns his head upwards, “or was it my uncle?”

With slightly widened eyes, the surprised boy asks. “Is it good?”

“For my liver? No. The taste, however,” he brings together his fingers to replicate a chef’s kiss to end his statement.

“Should I try it?” His energetic friend almost immediately sobers up at the question, now placing his hands on Hwiyoung’s shoulders firmly.

“Only if you want to, am I clear?” The former was definitely confused at the quick change of attitude, but manages to nod in response.

“I just wanna try…” He says while nodding. Sanghoon nods as well, but does so slower and slower as an idea pops in his head.

“How about this - if you convince the girl in the convenience store, you’ll get to have that chance.”

“Deal.”

 

----------

 

“So, how’s your first beer?”

“Horrible. I love it.”

As the two sit on the pavement right in between two stripes of grass, they take their time with the two cans they luckily got their hands on. No, Hwiyoung wasn’t able to fool the woman at the convenience store, he quickly left before he could get any more embarrassed. But, they did pass by a restaurant owner who gave the him some cans the moment he asked if he was throwing it out. He could barely make out what the old man said, but he thinks it was something about it reaching it’s expiry soon.

“That’s the spirit!”

The two laugh over whatever just happened, going as far as to lay their heads on the dirty concrete. Comfortable on the ground, the two continue to talk about whatever they could think of - whether it be who knew more about the sky, who sang better at the karaoke, or the predictions of tomorrow. Once in a while, they’d crunch up to take a sip from the can safely secured in their grasp, but otherwise, they’d stay flat.

“,” Sanghoon whispers as he sees the time. “Hwiyoung, I gotta go now.”

“Why?”

“I need to cook dinner before my papa arrives - which is in like 40 minutes and the chicken isn’t even defrosted.”

Honestly, his friend didn’t really want to say goodbye. He felt like a child, unprepared to part ways after all the fun they had and, with that feeling, he attempted a question.

“Can’t I stay at your house?”

Sanghoon, however, wasn’t sure of the idea. He didn’t want his dad to see the boy, especially since he has no idea they became friends in the first place.

But also, Hwiyoung looked like he was going to sulk the moment he says no so… Maybe?

“Fine. But for twenty minutes only.”

 

The moment they arrive at Sanghoon’s place, the taller puts on a timer to make sure he won't forget. And after he gets it set up, he follows his friend to the kitchen, about to ask if he needed any help.

“Have you ever cooked curry before?”

“I’ve had the instant ones,” Hwiyoung smiles.

“Interesting... Do you know how to cut vegetables?” Seeing how the boy gives an animated nod, he brings out the ingredients for him to take care of.

“Just cut them into bite-sized cubes, like… this big.” He requests, showing the size with one of the carrots. “Oh yeah, don’t forget to peel them.”

“Got it!”

While Hwiyoung becomes immersed in ensuring he doesn’t up, Sanghoon was able to relax since he was just getting the chicken into some hot water and preparing the rice. Since he could take his time, he was able to look over the other teen, hoping the cuts wouldn’t be the reason his dad questions if he was alone the whole time.

Luckily, Hwiyoung is a natural overachiever, and you can see that in the practically identical chops. What amazes him even more, is how the boy seems to have fun as he takes care of the vegetables.

“You know,” Sanghoon speaks up. “I didn’t expect to see you so excited, especially while chopping that potato.”

“Honestly - this’ll sound really childish - but I didn’t want to leave yet.” Hwiyoung says. “I didn’t even expect that I’d stand the karaoke but eh, here I am.”

”Imagine if you never met me? A tragedy.” Sanghoon jokingly tells him.

“A tragedy? I don’t see myself being in desirable yet catastrophic choices to choose from if you never appeared?”

“I… Let me remember wait give me a minute -”

The boy’s attempt is cut short when they hear the loud creak of the apartment door opening. 

“.”

“Sanghoon?”

As Hwiyoung looked around for an escape, everything seemed to slow down. But of course, the decelerated perception did not take him as an exception. Not only did he blurrily see how he and Sanghoon freaked out while he ran around the kitchen, but with every failure did the beating of his heart scream louder and louder.

Hwiyoung, however, makes sure to not make a sound.

He continues his silence as he hears the pair of feet come closer and closer, he continues his silence as he watches the expression form on Sanghoon’s father.

“What is going on?”

He may not know the man well, but damn is he familiar with the frown on his face.

The moment the distressed man turns to look at him, he immediately cowers. Their words were as blurry as his vision, but he attempts to mutter something out.

“I’m sorry, I’ll leave.”

Though the other two considered his exit swift and simple, Hwiyoung holds in the pressure he feels when every step he takes does not bring him directly out the door. 

 

----------

 

Hwiyoung stared at his pair of feet.

One step left. Then right. Front, then back.

Considering that all he could do was stare until the bus came, Hwiyoung could definitely feel the difference between now and all the fun from earlier. He couldn't help but feel worried for his peculiar friend - would Sanghoon be told never to talk to him again?

There's that feeling.

The last time he had that feeling was when he was caught red-handed by Soobin. Was it guilt, disappointment, sadness? A mix of three and more? He wasn't entirely sure. But he knew that the situation was similar.

He did it wrong. His immaturity hurt the very people he didn't want to hurt. Soobin's relationship with Junwoo reached an obstacle, and now so will Sanghoon and his dad. And Hwiyoung knows the other actually cares for his dad, after all, not everyone had the same vicious parent he had.

He just hopes their side ends well. As for the possibility of Hwiyoung's new friend visiting him at work - well maybe he'll have to let the probability fall a bit. 

"Hwiyoung..." 

He sees two pairs of feet right in front of his own.

"Hi…” He attempts to say, too bad the outcome sounded more like a whimper. He didn't really have the composure to greet the two people he walked away from a few minutes ago.

"Papa has something to say," Sanghoon says with a grin. "Right, papa?" Hwiyoung didn't notice that the hands the father-son duo had held together was in fact a mini-compression game to see who could squeeze the other's hand tighter.

"Hwiyoung, I know you're friends with Sanghoon now..." If this was a way to make a friendship break, Hwiyoung sure finds it quite special. "... and I'm sorry."

The compression games end.

"Seeing that Sanghoon cares a lot about you, and he told me you're doing your best to make up for your wrong doings, I shouldn't have acted so rash."

"No, no it's okay!" Hwiyoung was stunned, he didn't know how to respond, or even move at this point. 

"No, it's not. You're still a kid after all, I should've handled things better."

Hwiyoung looks over to Sanghoon who, turns out, has been trying to mouth out 'say thank you' to the clueless Hwiyoung. He nods and immediately does so, "thank you sir. It really means a lot"

"So," Sanghoon butts in. "Does that mean Hwiyoung and I can stay friends?"

In response, Sanghoon’s father nods slowly with closed eyes. The quiet teen tries to hold in the smile creeping up.

"Does that mean you won't be that harsh on him anymore?"

Repeating the same response, Hwiyoung couldn’t help but exhale sharply at how it all unfolded.

"Great! I guess we're all done here, Hwiyoung-"

"Wait, one more thing," the old man interjects. "I’m sure it must be difficult to suddenly live independently. So, if you need a father figure for some advice, you can come to me. If this brat believes in you, I guess I can too." 

“Thank you sir,” Hwiyoung repeats. “Thank you so much.”

And so, instead of taking the bus home, Hwiyoung joins the Jo family for a hot bowl of curry.