The Aftermath

After 18

July 27.

"How's progress?"

Half-empty cans clashed in a careless manner, and its contents were chugged by the tipsy teenagers that thought it was a good idea to get drunk right in front of a body of water.

"Still wondering how the did I figure this out in 18 years while my father stuck his feet in the same for 40 years and counting."

"And I thought my dad was the coward."

"Hey." Hwiyoung attempts to meet the lazy eyes of his friend with a glare. Two seconds in, and the two immediately burst into laughter, not minding the droplets jumping out the can. Another few seconds pass and the two lie down on the concrete, still attempting to drink every once in a while.

"How's knowing you don't need to ruin my life for high grades?"

"I don't know, how's hiding behind a paper and fried squid?"

"I'll have you know that, unlike that odd unsatisfied look you put, I actually like what I'm doing."

Two months ago, Hwiyoung would rather be caught dead than be friends with Sanghoon. To be fair, two months ago, Hwiyoung still believed he could go to Seoul National University and get Soobin.

"What an idiot," was all the boy could say to his past.

Now here he is, sipping on beer cans given by a restaurant owner that probably still thinks this boy is a 23 year-old unemployed bum, with his friend that was also his old rival. A friend that, for your information, took a few weeks for Hwiyoung to humbly accept as an intelligent contender; so no, he doesn't really remember how they ended up chatting each other up like besties.

"Have I ever told you how amazing you are," he says. Obviously over the tipsy phase, the boy turns himself on his side to look at Sanghoon. The latter turns his head and gives the widest smile and (very manly) giggles.

"Why are you so sentimental?!" He says in between giggles. 

"Wow." The two paused their melodramatic bromance and laid the back of their heads flat on the floor, following the direction of the voice. Seeing Junwoo's blank face next to his phone's alarm reading 'check lake for bodies', the same two formed dumb smiles and went back to their bromance. With a small snort, the only sober student picked up the empty cans and whatever snack packets they left.

"Aren't you wondering where Gitae is?" Junwoo asks.

"It's his and Soye's anniversary," Hwiyoung mumbled.

"So you do remember," the former slightly smiles. Finished with cleaning up, he runs to the closest trash can to throw the filled plastic bag. As he walked back to the two, he quickly texts Soobin that the two are fine. The last time she wasn't informed, she was left lying that her worrisome face was from the fear of sleeping in the dark—her mother didn't buy it for a bit, but waved it off as puberty problems.

"Sanghoon, help him up."

"Yes sir." As if alcohol never entered his body, the boy instantly stands up and gives a little salute. He then carefully pulls Hwiyoung up in hopes to get through this night vomit-free.

"Why do you even pretend you can't handle alcohol?"

"Isn't it obvious? it's really fun!" With a laugh, Sanghoon attempts to bring his friend up, but not without clearing up his words. "Just so you know, Hwiyoung knows that I do this! Don't take it the wrong way!"

"No worries," the calmer teen nods.

Their conversation ends with a ring from Junwoo's side. Meanwhile, although Sanghoon tries his best, the other acts like jelly in his arms while whining to be put down. 

"Soobin! Yeah, they're alive don't worry..."

Mr. Jelly continued to whine and flail, eyes searching for another can. Seeing the clean pavement, he finally puts some strength in his body and places his hands on the shoulders of his baffled friend. "Where beer?" He asks with the most serious look a drunk man could muster. Though, it's pretty difficult to be serious when all you see are big angry eyebrows speaking caveman.

Sanghoon peered to his side in hopes to ask Junwoo to take care of the dude, but seeing how said man was a few feet away happily chatting with his girlfriend, he knew he wouldn't get any external help any time soon. Instead, he leans close to the other's ear.

"Oh-je's coming."

A clear snap was heard as Hwiyoung turned his head around for the said boy. 

"No he's not," he sighed. The other tried to laugh it off and slapped the taller's back. 

"Let's go home, hm?" Although these words would never be uttered by the same man in the daylight, the presence of exhaustion and a pinch of pity brought him to say it. The pair were caught up breathing in the such thick air that they couldn't hear the other walking back to their spot.

"Are you two ready?" He asks, unknowingly thinning the tension. At least, that's what it seemed for Sanghoon, he readily pulled the other by the shoulders. 

They walked to the bus station, deciding to spend the night at Hwiyoung's place. The boy has been forced to live alone ever since the stunt he had pulled and, sadly, the cry that plagued the school's reputation was not enough to shatter his father's. While the guilt caused him to drop out, the connections made between his lies and his father's disappeared, as if it never existed; the rest of society only knows of it as 'the time teenage rebellion went too far' but no one thought to dig deeper. The only form of consolation he had from that was knowing his mother left as well, even if no one knew where she had gone to. 

His apartment, despite the luxury, was just his reminder that he lost. 

That his father will always find a way.

Now, the Ma family has one son studying in the US, while the other starts an internship in Germany.

"Oh-je." Hwiyoung mumbled. The other two looked at him.

"Why didn't you ask me if I wondered where Oh-je is?"

"The bus is here!" Sanghoon exclaims, forgetting his drunk friend as he skips up to the bus.

One arm around the shoulder, Junwoo helped him go inside.

 

"Be thankful you even see him."