Oderint, dum Metuant

The Super Rich: The Tactical Art of Escapism and Disengagement of Reality [HALTED INDEFINITELY]

 

 

 

 

 

 

Escapism 

a way of avoiding an unpleasant or boring life, 

especially by thinking, reading, etc. about more exciting but impossible activities.  

 

 

Suho felt his back throbbing after direct contact with the concrete. The force that pushed him aside was next to unreal. He can barely make out the sight of Irene near the patio table. 

And the woman that kissed her hand.  

He took a stand and rushed forward, only to be subdued by two guards who finally arrived at the scene from their post. “Let go of me!” But the hold is dead tight. A soft voice can be heard. “Let him go.” Suho slaps his arms at them and pretends to fix his suit, an attempt to save shreds of dignity. Byulyi is pointed out with a finger. “Joohyun-ah, who is she?” He maintained a polite demeanor throughout. “This... kind of arrangement will never be approved by your father.”

There’s something akin to a glare when he looks at Byulyi. It’s almost hidden between her purple locks, yet he takes two steps back out of instinct. This doesn’t make sense. A point that proved further when Irene took her hand and the glint in that eye doused as soon as it fired. “As the matter of fact, he did. Within the requirements, for sure. But you don’t need to know more about that.” 

But Suho isn’t the type to go down without a fight. 

“You are not in your right mind. Your father—” 

“You can go to him if you have something to tell him. As far as I’m concerned, I will come to you when the time is right. Thank you for thinking about me, even though it is still uncalled for.” 

Suho was led to the main exit by the guard. Only when the fiancee was no longer visible did the tension in the air begin to dissipate. The caretaker quickly made Irene sit down and instructing the maids to hurry with the tea and refreshments that can relax her considerably. “I’m fine.” The heiress regards Byulyi, who stood still with her eyes locked at the door where Suho had just left. “Perhaps you should return to your room. It's been an exhausting day. I'll pick you up first thing tomorrow morning for your first assignment.”

-- 

As soon as Irene got back to her room, she let out a breath that released the nerves wracked along her body. She shut her eyes for a good minute in front of the dresser mirror.  

“Who is that girl?”  

Yun Yuh-jung, who has been standing near the door and observing, gave her a piece of her mind. Irene turned back to her and gave a cryptic smile. “I see that you have taken a liking to her already, Mdm Yun.” 

The caretaker threw her hands up and let out a dissatisfied harrumph. Indeed, the stunt of a woman pulled into the patio this afternoon earned her some respect from the inhabitants of the mansion. “Whatever makes you think that way, Miss?” 

“You never question those who are not catching your interest in the first place.” Irene put her brooch on the table. “She won’t do me any harm, that I can assure you. So if you can relay that to everyone in this mansion, that would be really nice.” 

Yuh-jung scoffed. There is really no need to do that since they have been enamored with her already. So when she got out of Irene’s chamber she went straight to Byulyi’s room, which was empty. Living room, empty. Dining room, the same. The search ends when she looks upward and gets the shock of her life upon looking at the sycamore tree. The woman she has been looking for the past thirty minutes is sitting on its branch. She seemed to notice Yuhjung’s presence as she climbed down and after brushing dust particles around her body, she greeted the caretaker. 

“Thank you for what you did today, Miss Moon.” 

The words are stilted but the gratitude is as true as it can be. Byulyi nodded once when Yuh-jung continued her words. “How did you meet Miss Irene in the first place?” 

“She found me.” And there it is all to it. They both looked at the sycamore tree. “This tree has been there since Miss Irene’s mother came here and became the lady of this mansion.” Yuh-jung spoke with a trace of melancholy in her gaze. “I heard everything for Mr Lee but I still haven’t quite believe it just yet. But Miss Irene seems to be fond of you, and I hope you didn’t do anything rash to deny the trust.” 

Byulyi turned to Yuh-jung and gave her a firm nod. It was full of promise that she intended to keep or at least that’s what it looked like to Yuhjung. The moment Byulyi dragged Suho to the side happened in an instant, the way Irene lean to Byulyi’s back when it happened, all the small moments that are easy to miss yet it resonates. How are they connected to each other? 

What do they need from each other to inspire this bond in the first place? 

“Madam. It might be best for us to get inside before it gets cold.” 

Yuhjung gained her thoughts back to reality and see that the shadow of the sun has fallen to the latter part of the labyrinth. She muttered an apology for keeping them a little longer than it should. 

“I trust you to take care of her, Miss Moon. She’s thinking of something we'll never know, and we count on you to be beside her all the time.” 

Byulyi gave a long look and nodded. 

“I will.” 

 

-- 

 

Byulyi was awakened with a warm bath and a set of clothes that is more casual than yesterday. A set of lime shirts, brown khakis and leather boot that suits her taste in clothing. Right after she went out of the bathroom a set of breakfast on golden tray was set near the table. After muttering thank you to the maids who rushed out blushing, she tidied up the crease near her shirt to find Irene near the entrance. She looked much more radiant than any other day Byulyi had seen her, and it was to the point where Byulyi couldn’t look away. “I ask the breakfast to be sent to your bed since we have to rush through the schedule.” Irene kept a smile on her face, a little as Byulyi didn’t say a word. “What is it?” 

“…Nothing.” 

After being so out of character yesterday, she was back to being this aloof and stoic persona. To be honest Irene cannot really determine which is the real persona she possessed. As the concierge opened the door to let her in, they both settled inside the limousine, and drive away. 

-- 

Velvet Hotel. 

The business that Irene had been tirelessly working toward since her younger days, and now it has manifested into branches of temporary living places and lodges when everyone can sit back and reprieve themselves from the world. Staff and supervisors scrambled to situate themselves in the main office tower to greet the woman who made it all happen.

“Miss Irene!” 

The heiress’s calm countenance stayed as she came out of the limousine. A woman in pencil skirt walked out of the crowd and gave her the schedule for the day. “Thank you Sakura.” Irene nodded. “Now brief me before we arrive at the conference room.” 

 

-- 

 

“So I think it will be really interesting for nature to become our concept.” 

A group of ladies sitting behind the desk, presenting their ideas and the current condition of the branches all over South Korea. Same day, same day. Irene gets out of her seat and corrects each concept that has been brought in while Byulyi watch from outside. Byulyi can easily spot her through the transparent glass but she chooses to look away and notice the inside of her hand.  

It was rough and she held an impulse to scratch away, several times. People come back and forth in the office, busy with their own agendas of the day. Sakura, Irene’s secretary lifting her head down in a thinking mode behind her desk as well, concentrating on multitasking several jobs. Byulyi  her right palm once again. 

The sound of clapping can be heard from the conference room. Sakura gets up and greet Irene who comes out the last after the ladies come out with a clear view of where their target is supposed to be going. Irene takes her time instructing Sakura on the remaining branches before looking around. Her gaze fell to the figure sitting on the chair in the waiting room. Byulyi came to her and at the sight of her, Irene smiled. 

“Let’s go.” 

 

-- 

 

Inside the private jet of Lee Corp, Byulyi settles herself in the cubicle before putting the blanket aside and turning to another cubicle beside her. In this lone jet with no more than two main passengers, aside from the slew of guards in the latter part of the jet, Byulyi didn’t exactly have anyone else to talk to. “Hey.” 

Irene took out her eye cover and let out a long yawn. She almost settled for a nap before Byulyi called her. “You might want to get some sleep.” She motioned to the steward, who appeared shortly after with a tray carrying sleeping necessities, including another eye cover. “The flight is going to be seven hours long. I've already seen all of the films.” 

Byulyi takes a look at the utilities, inspecting them with newfound curiosities. “Where are we going?” 

Irene let out a long yawn, pulling the blanket to her neck. 

“Bali.” 

 

-- 

 

NGURAH RAI INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT 

11PM 

 

As soon as they walked down the stairs of the plane, a black Mercedes was waiting for them. “Byulyi, this is Donghyuk.” Irene introduces the tall, bulky man who bows at Byulyi and pertaining his stern attitude. “We'll be under your care, Donghyuk. Just so you know, he was a wrestler.” 

Byulyi holds her look at Donghyuk who bows once again in a humbling way.  

They got into the Mercedes that cuts through the back of the airport and soon made its way around the city, which looked almost deserted. Rows of closed shops decorating the side of the street passed as Byulyi looked at the window, before feeling a light tug to her shirt.  

“Look.” 

 

SCANDAL OF THE CENTURY: FINALLY, THE HEIRESS, THE SOCIALITE, LETTING GO OF THE GLAM? 

 

WHO IS THIS SWEETHEART, THE RECENT HEARTROB THAT FINALLY CONVINCE OUR LADY INTO MARRIAGE? 

 

Byulyi creased her brow, not quite understanding what was written on the phone that Irene showed to her. “I took you to my office and now mouths are fibbin’.” Irene hummed. “At least my father won’t be annoying about it for a week. We have now a week for ourselves.” She flashed a smile from ear to ear, looking satisfied with herself. “Just the two of us.” 

Byulyi has no idea why that line stirred her chest so. Maybe the heat has gone to her head. “This is your idea of escaping.” Byulyi refuses to be swayed. “I have to leave you here, and that’s it? After disappointing your father?” 

“No, silly.” She giggled. “We’re taking a helicopter.” 

-- 

 

True to her words, the Mercedes is only a means of transportation from the airport to the helipad that was located at the highest tower in the city. After going through a route, Byulyi noticed the scarcity of buildings and concrete that was soon replaced with an abundant number of trees and forests. She realized that all the time Irene sit across her, no words had been spoken. Irene kept her chin in her palm as her eyes observed the view. 

Again, Byulyi has never witnessed upon something so ethereal. 

Getting out of the helicopter that has landed at the designated place, Byulyi gets out first before sticking a hand to Irene, in which the heiress takes with a grace. They both stand in a vast area that has been cleared and designed meticulously, with a mansion that is less smaller than Lee’s main headquarter but doesn’t belittle it’s design in any way. They were led inside the mansion that was designed with a lot of mirrors around them, accentuating the vastness even more. There is no need to wait long before someone sneaks through the guards and hug Irene’s waist. 

“No-ah!” 

The six-year old boy giggled uncontrollably. “Auntie Joohyun!” 

Irene coddled him for a good minute until a voice interrupted. 

“Now, now. Auntie Irene needs her rest, No-ah.” 

Irene’s face gleamed with excitement. “Jiyoung-unnie!” The heiress quickly rushed to hug the boy’s mother and soon No-ah joined the gang. When they let go, the laughs were still in the air before Jiyoung inquiring. “Now, is this your kidnapper?” 

Byulyi’s eyes went wide and Irene tried to hide her blush. “You knew?” 

“How could I not when everyone told me about it?” Jiyoung snorted. “With phones being ringing nonstop, you have shocked almost the entire nation and the elders of Lee family. I think they got the worst brunt from the hit. Maybe you will have to explain it to the entire council of the family?” The amusement in her voice and Irene’s shaking her head with dread imagining the predicted situation shows that this is the banter that is usual between them. Jiyoung put her hand to her waist and observed Byulyi from head to toe. “Do you know who I am?” 

Byulyi nodded. “Bae Jiyoung, the first daughter of Lee family. You were prominent in South Korea years back, before you went off grid.” She added. “You are Irene’s older sister.” 

“Going into first name basis already?” Jiyoung turn to Irene who already sported pink cheeks. “I see that you have done your research! You can call me Kahi. Now, Miss Moon, would you mind taking No-ah with you to the garden? It’s been a while since a guest came.” Her look turns soft and maternal as she instructs No-ah. “You can play with this unnie while mommy and your auntie are talking inside, okay?” 

No-ah nods enthusiastically. Without asking he grab Byulyi by the arm and led her outside the mansion. 

 

-- 

Jiyoung takes Irene to the leisure room with a view of lush green dominating from the window. They splayed around the sofa. The older woman put her cup down, watching Irene stack the pillow near her to ensure comfort. 

“To what do I owe the pleasure of this visit, Hyun-ah?” Irene lifted her head, her head concocting several different words. “I thought for sure you were already married to that boring guy.” Irene reminded her that his name is Suho but Jiyoung couldn’t care less. “What changed your mind?” 

“It’s too soon for any marriage to happen.” 

“I would believe that if only you didn’t pay someone to elope with you.” Jiyoung scoops a macaroon and munches. Irene fiddling with the ends of the pillow.  

“How have you been, Jiyoung unnie?” 

“It’s been quite peaceful.” It only takes one sentence to fall back into the familiar banter BETWEENsiblings, just like the old days. After catching up with Jiyoung’s husband and his flourishing work on the island of gods, they move to the topic of how No-ah is having a crush on his classmate. Without realizing it they fit themselves again to the same routine of when they still live in the same house. 

“I’m sure you didn’t come here just to reminisce, Hyun-ah.” 

Joohyun takes a deep breath, preparing herself for this moment. 

“I wish you can come back to South Korea and take your rightful position as the successor of the company, unnie.”  

“He had disowned me, Hyun-ah.” Jiyoung laughed bitterly. “What part of that you don’t understand?” 

“Never, unnie.” Irene is stern. “You are his favourite, always. And any sane person knows I am the last option when it comes to succeeding the family’s legacy.” 

“You have finally lost your mind for living in that house too long.” Jiyoung straightened her back, moving closer to Irene. “You should take a long period of holiday. I know! Jun-mu can help you prepare the necessities for that—” 

“Unnie.” 

Her words stopped when Irene put her hand on hers. 

“What about father? He’s getting older, and we know this is a dispute that has been overdue since you were both so stubborn. I stand by my opinion, Unnie. You are the best candidate compared to me.”  

“Hyun-ah.” Jiyoung held back a gasp as realization hits her voice. “Don’t tell me you—” 

Irene is solemn. “I don’t think I will come back this time.” 

The beat of silence is filled with the sound of birds passing through the lush environment. 

“Aigoo, this girl.” Jiyoung sighed. “What I am going to do with you?” 

 

-- 

After they say goodbye to Jiyoung (with No-ah waving his tiny hand enthusiastically; an effort indeed since his crying can only be stopped when they promised to visit everyday), the car leaves the mansion to the next designated place.  

“What did you do to my niece?” Irene didn’t hide the amazement in her tone. “Usually he didn’t warm up that quick with strangers.” 

“Just flying some kites and whatever not.” Byulyi answered as a-matter-of-fact. Irene didn’t look like she believed it. The car passed a sign of the place that’s only miles away. “Didn’t you want to ask me what I have been talking about with my sister?” Byulyi’s disinterest attitude seemed to rub off on her for the strangest reason. The younger woman shrugged with the same disinterest which followed by nagging on the road. 

 

-- 

 

ULUWATU TEMPLE  

3PM  

 

“Selamat datang bapak Dan ibu yang terhormat! Dimohon untuk menjaga jarak selagi anda mengelilingi tempat ini! Jangan lupa untuk menjaga barang anda selalu karena takutnya dicuri monyet!” A bark of laughter filled the crowd at the guide’s joke. “Pertunjukan Tari Kecak akan dimulai pada jam enam sore, pastikan Anda sekalian berkumpul di balai utama sekaligus menikmati matahari terbenam!” 

Irene’s about to ask the interpreter before Byulyi cut her short. “They were laughing because monkeys would rob you at any chance they got.” At Irene’s stare she remarked. “I just understand parts of it. He spoken too fast.” 

The guards were standing outside the premises while Irene and Byulyi took a walk under the scorching sun, tiptoeing through the statues and enjoying the view. Most of the tourists and locals sitting under the tree to rest from the heat, so they take their time having the premise almost to themselves. 

When they were about to walk near the cliff, Byulyi held out her hand, gesturing for Irene to take it.  
 

“Moon Byulyi, there’s a rail here. I won’t fall.” 

“Just take it.” 

Irene takes it alright, but that doesn’t stop her right brows rise as she senses a tremble. And it's absolutely not coming from her hand. “Byul-ah.” She remarked, partly curious. “Are you scared of heights?” 

The answer to that is a tightened hold.  

“…Just keep walking.” 

Irene decided to be nice and comply. Once she notice the hand in hers is getting limp, the heiress takes the initiative and lead them away as far as they can be from the edge of the cliff, dismissing the roaring currents beneath. 

 

-- 

 

The sun was almost setting as they took their seat. Tourists begin to congregate as the clock approaches six o'clock, and as Byulyi had previously informed her, an event is scheduled to begin at that moment.

Byulyi put her hat on the top of Irene’s head and whispered. The show is about to start. 

A number of men in loincloth is entering the stadium. Their upper bodies were left bare, and Irene is sure there were at least fifty of them. The audience waits in anticipation as they gather to form a concentric circle with a traditional Balinese coconut oil lamp as their center. 

A shout started the whole thing in motion.  

It was a shout that started a whole notion of chants. Chak-chak-chak— 

Chak! 

Irene cannot take her eyes away. Thrill s through her entire body and she went into a state of almost trance before a whisper pulled her back. “It’s a story of two estranged lovers.” 

Either Byulyi decides to tell her this just to annoy her or to keep her focused Irene will never know. Nevertheless, there is a show to be enjoyed. 

The male-chanter comes in a unified group within one man’s singing the melodious, rhythmic tune that was set according to the vocals and coordination.  

Shiiir-yang-ngger-yang-nggur-yang-nggeer 

The dancers entering the scene: the hero and the heroine, the one in scary masks with fangs that Irene assumed was the bad guy of the story. They were involved in this cat-and-mouse situation of dancing and missing each other. With the setting sun as the backdrop, it sets a perfect mood for the whole performance. Soon a shriek from the sky robbed the audience's attention. They look up to find a dancer in white, with a monkey mask. He hung around the structure of the temple, climbing down and playing around with the audience, providing some sort of comic relief. 

“It’s the White Monkey.” Byulyi explained. “He’s the hero’s knight, helping him to save the abducted heroine.” 

The Monkey Knight gives a battle dance to the bad guy before taking turns to amuse the audience. He performed several dances when he arrived at Irene’s, doing a comical movement that elicited laughter from the crowd. In the middle of the chanting circle, a fire was set for the knight to perform his stunt. 

The man beneath the monkey mask bulged his eyes once it came into contact with Byulyi’s. He threw himself to the side, a pure, unadulterated fear  in his voice. “Ada—” 

“Ada Djinn! (There’s a Djinn!)” 

The chanting was going intense with the White Knights convulsing, trying with his might to get away as soon as possible. His shout cut when he lost his voice, and a loud shriek dominating the temple when he jumped over the railing— 

 

 

 

Shiiir-yang-ngger-yang-nggur-yang-nggeer 

 

 

And throw himself to the open fire. 

The audience erupted in panic. Bodyguards who had been stationed nearby quickly arrived to transport Irene to safety, while Byulyi protected the heiress from colliding with other people or being tramped on. Her feet came to a standstill as she returned her gaze to the flames, which had become brighter and more ominous.

The curvature lines shine gold in her right eye, taking a crystalline quality that blinks once, thinning and convulsing.