merely the moon and the madness of the moment

The Super Rich: The Tactical Art of Escapism and Disengagement of Reality [HALTED INDEFINITELY]

 

 

 

 

 

 

Lotte World Tower 

Sky Lounge, 123rd Floor 

Two weeks ago. 

 

A pencil skirt, uncreased blazer, hair that's usually tied up to a bun: it’s a no-no look that will receive glare from every staff member in Lee Mansion. They won’t accept any excuse when it comes to not dressing up to meet her fiancee, and it is a debate that Irene always finds herself on the losing side. So instead she was dressed in a red dress that, although considered casual for fine dining, still invokes a looming sense that something really important is about to happen. Add that to jet-black hair that groomed to touch her shoulder, emerald pendant fastened on her chest, she looked stunning. The entire room was filled with empty chairs, indicating that this was a one-on-one meeting. She was seated near the glass that offers a panoramic view of the city. It's soothing, and Irene makes an effort to rest after a long day.

Except if this dinner is about what she has suspected from the beginning. 

She flashed a courteous smile at the man seated across from her, apologizing for being late to the appointment. When it comes to Suho Kim Junmyeon, her childhood buddy, her oppa, and her current engagement, formalities are unnecessary.

“Sorry for being late.” 

The heir gesture for the dish to be served.  

“How have you been?” Her fiancee scratch the back of his neck, busying himself with arranging the utensils and flinched when Irene looked at him.  

“Hm.” 

There you have it. Irene's personal response. The one she gives off whenever she doesn't feel like delivering a straight answer. He's been Irene's childhood oppa his entire life, and the heiress's laid-back attitude didn't detract from her ability to run Velvet Hotel, which had grown into one of South Korea's largest hotels and lodges under her supervision. It’s the accomplishment that still didn’t stop her father micromanaging every single aspect of the heiress’s life. Considering Irene’s usual chatty self, this is quite concerning. “Did you not like it?” 

“Like what?” 

“Irene…” 

“Well, appa have promised that I can marry when I want to, and suddenly there’s this talk about marriages. I see the box, Suho-oppa. I’m still talking.” Suho slips the red box inside his blazer even deeper, a little sheepish. “You know what I’m thinking. I don’t think two days later is the right time.” 

The man shakes his head, unable to comprehend what goes in Irene’s head. “But I thought you love me, Irene. Things must have been meant to go this way.” 

“I do love you, oppa.” The heiress feels her heart sink in. “I just think that this is not the right way for things to end.” 

What end? With cryptic words and incomprehensible actions, this woman frequently irritated him. Suho has to point out that half of the woman's declarations of love are because he asked her to. But, as his father pointed out, it is a man's responsibility to figure out what's going on. Confusing responses are just one of many roadblocks in their path to happiness. “Then there shouldn't be any issues. What matters most to you, Hyun-ah, is your happiness.”

That robbed Irene’s attention as she looked away from the charming view; the residue of city lights seemed to be dancing in her eyes as she put her chin on her palm, a small smile playing on her lips. “Did you love me, Suho-oppa?” 

He nodded vehemently, determined not to lose momentum. 

“And your girls as well?” 

Her fiancee, with Lee Soo Man’s favor working on him as a charm, is known to have loads of so-called fangirls on his end. Irene wouldn’t bring it up if only Suho didn’t take all of them seriously. Judging from Suho’s reaction, she can say she safely taps the nail on the head. “Oppa, if you think you have to marry me just for the sake of it—” 

The man put his hand on top of the heiress’s. “Don’t say it like that. I have to marry you. By doing so, I can protect you as well.” Irene noticed the weight on her hand but decided not to act on it. The dress is itchy, and she cannot wait to get out of it. 

She can't wait to get out of this, whatever it is.

 

-- 

 

Moon Byulyi is a woman with a lot of plans. Days gone by show that she always has a Plan A to Z, with backups thrown in for good measure. Failure will not be tolerated in any form. Yet she couldn't get over how the heiress closed her eyes, stunned and absorbed in the moment after their lips parted. As a result, the woman shook her shoulders, shattering the cloud. Irene comes to the picture slowly, not taking her eyes away from the other woman. Byulyi felt expectations coming from her gaze. After all they are still near the edge of the cliff.  

Irene circled her arms to Byulyi and pulled her in until their faces met. 

“After this, the men will subdued you.” The heiress whispered. “You will be taken to my father. The thing is, I don’t know what he’s going to say. Not that I care, anyhow.” Byulyi makes a guttural sound signaling that she knew. The men were running forward and as Byulyi felt her arms pulled to the back, she witnessed how the heiress was taken to safety into the car, with her lips mouthing See you in the Mansion. 

 

-- 

 

See you in the mansion. 

The phrase resonated in every corner of Byulyi's jumbled mind, which was hammering with the past as she sat between two bodyguards who scrutinized her closely for any signs of impure intent.

“Who the are you?” 

Byulyi has this feeling that they will throw her out of the limo if she somehow gives the wrong answer. But the best answer she can give is, “I will only answer that to Lee Soo Man.” A knock to the back of her head lead her to unconsciousness.  

 

-- 

“Who are you?” 

Byulyi gathers herself within foggy eyesight, finding herself on the leather of a sofa and cringing at the large office with glaring chandeliers. She pushed her temples together to stop the pounding and focus on the source of the voice.

Grayed hair, sentimentality crossing his pleasant eyes, now almost losing his countenance and the fact that they were sitting close to each other is unnerving. There is no mistaking the Bijan ascot adorning his shirt and tweed blazer, the one and only Lee Soo-man of SM Corporation in the flesh. Tapping his pen with impatience, he didn’t repeat his question and wait until Byulyi stood on her own two feet.  

She breathed out. “I am someone who cannot live without your daughter.” 

When the patriarch seized a sword from the stand and brandished the exquisite steel, her eyes widened. The swings whirled through the air, which Byulyi managed to avoid by relying on her instincts. “What makes you think—” She ran to the cupboard before it was sliced in two. The patriarch is most certainly aiming for , but she cannot just die yet. Besides, it was not a lie, technically? “I will just hand my most precious daughter that easily? Suho is her true love, and there shouldn’t be any questions about that!” 

Byulyi swerves to the left and stabs the sword with the nearest cushion, twisting it out of the patriarch's grasp. She dumped both to the farthest corner of the room, facing back Soo-man whose face is now red, seethe in rage. “Even if she wanted him, she didn’t want to be forced into something that she didn’t want to do.” 

The rage dissipated as quickly as it appeared and he dumped himself onto the sofa, frowning and grumbling. “What do you even know? She’s been wanting a marriage for weeks, and I just comply to her wishes! Until a stranger barged in and just when I thought this must be another antics of hers, you spout nonsense!” He got up and looked for the sword, crouching on the floor. “I intend to just let this go, young lady, but if this is what you are asking then—” 

An intercom interrupted the conversation and followed with a sharp voice. “Sajangnim! This is Miss Irene! She asked to be let inside!” 

“Hold her there!” Sooman is practically shouting at the device. “And you, sit there.” He points to the part of the sofa that is still intact, Byulyi regards him with a raised brow. “I need to explain.” 

 

-- 

 

The heiress is waiting outside the office, holding herself from biting her nails to the ground. After being held in the mansion, she found ways to escape and went straight to SM Tower, not excited about what her father might do to Moon Byulyi. She cannot have that! After deceiving Miss Youn and everything, Irene knows she has to make sure it was not all for waste! 

Irene had half the mind to bust through the door before the plexiglass swung open, showing the woman she had been involved with these past few days. Byulyi’s solemn expression turns into surprise as Irene throws herself at her, and luckily she can catch her just in time. “Are you fine? Tell me you are!” Irene screamed on purpose in order to make it believable, and she bet Byulyi knew it as well. As Irene pulls away from Byulyi, she tries to get them escorted straight to the limo and away from the mansion. But Byulyi has only one thing to say.  

“Your father ask you to go inside as well.” 

 

-- 

 

It’s the gigantic office that lives up to its potential with just three recipients. Lee Sooman drummed his fingers impatiently, irked with how her daughter kept clinging to this bastard in purple hair. “Joohyun.” He lowered his voice to sound intimidating but Irene knew better. “Mind telling me what’s on your mind?” SM Corp’s stock is plummeting in value, but he still needs an explanation for whatever is going on here.  

“Father, I want to marry her.” Sooman knew that once her daughter made a decision, nothing on earth could make her change her mind. So Irene is really taken aback by what he says next.

“I allow you to marry her.” Byulyi raised a brow at Irene’s gleeful expression. “But with conditions.” Irene was about to protest before Soo-man clicked the button near the stand, displaying a contract shot to the screen. Irene read the content in a flash before snapping back at her father. 

“You’re making Byulyi the heir of SM Corp?!” 

“I have to leave my company in good hands!” Soo-man replied. “Marrying someone under your social standing is one thing but God forbid if she doesn’t have what it takes for me to leave this company!” 

“You are fit enough to lead the company for another hundred years! Or just ask Suho to clean up your mess! Leave us out of this!” Byulyi gave a pointed look at their joined hands. The debate about the right thing to do has reached a standstill since Lee Soo-man was firm with his decision. “She has to know all the makings of what makes one a rightful partner for my daughter, and only at that time will I allow you two proceed with marriage.” 

Marriage equals time equals freedom to do what she hasn’t been able all her life. Byulyi does have trouble following the heiress’s track of mind. Heck, what is her brain made of? The woman pulled Irene closer and whispered in her ear. “Either that or you will never see me again. That’s not a request.” The heiress’s eyes going wider as she processes the information. “Your father is clear on that.” 

So there’s no other choice is what she’s trying to say. Irene looks at her father with gritted teeth. “Just state your conditions!” 

 

-- 

Both Byulyi and Irene are side by side in the limo. Not exactly since Byulyi looks at their conjoined arms. “Um. I think you can let go now.” To Byulyi’s agony the heiress tightens her hold as she hummed. “I’m curious. How do you convince my father?” 

A million dollar question that Byulyi didn’t feel like answering. Irene senses her hesitation and that’s just a hotbed to keep prodding. “Come on, what is it?” 

“I told your father… that you cannot live without me.” 

It was said while Byulyi focuses on the most interesting view outside the vehicle, she misses the blush formed on the heiress’s cheek. As she untangles her hold, Byulyi can feel her tense muscles relaxing as she keep staring at the window. “It’s just a white lie that won’t hurt anyone.” 

“A white lie…” Irene fiddling with her fingers, looking downward. “Right…” 

Byulyi’s brows meet in the middle. What’s with this weird atmosphere?  

As soon as the limo entered the second white gate, Byulyi asked, “Isn’t the one that we just came from supposed to be your family’s mansion?” She noticed the gardeners and guards that just paused whatever they were doing and bowed from the sidelines. Huh. “Oh no, that’s my father’s private mansion. This one is the main mansion. It’s been there for generations. My great-great grandfather won’t allow us to add any changes into it.”  

Byulyi just nodded. She’s been so out of touch ever since she decided to call it quits a long, long time ago. She just doesn’t remember SM Corporation being this prosperous in the past. Everything from the way Irene greeted the butlers and maids that stood in line with their happy smiles, which soon turned to animosity as the focus turned to Byulyi. The woman just follows Irene from behind, a little scared for her life. It’s the biggest mansion Byulyi has ever seen in her life. It’s not everyday one can find a forest with an entire ecosystem, nearby apartments which Byulyi guess is where the butlers, maids, gardeners etc. live and tend to their needs, and as she come inside the mansion, chandeliers and circled stairs come into her point of view. Various activities halted to welcome their lady, including the butlers standing near the long desk where mail and packets for the house were delivered and sorted daily before they got to the master of the house. It’s all an entire ing ecosystem and her rules. 

Suddenly she missed her tiny flat near the train station. 

Byulyi was about to make her leave before her hand was grasped by the heiress. “Where are you going?” 

“Home.” She said it as the most obvious thing. “It’s been a long day. I miss my bed already. We can just discuss it furthermore tomorrow.” 

But that gets a bedazzled look from Irene. “What are you talking about?” Irene’s tone turn cheerful, and Byulyi bet she has so much fun for no apparent reason. “You’re staying here.” 

Byulyi can feel blood drained out of her complexion. “No no no no.” She shakes her head with a mock calmness. “It’s not stated in his condition. We don’t have to do this.” 

“After all we’ve been through?” She whimpered, and Byulyi almost cursed. “You have ruined my wedding and declared your love to the world! It’s going to be really peculiar for you not to stay with me all the time, isn’t it?” 

The nerve of this vixen. 

 

-- 

The awkwardness hangs in the air as Byulyi witnesses maids going in and out with cabinets containing a variety of pajamas for the night. After choosing one haphazardly (she just cannot stand that piercing look), one of the maids picks one and hangs it on the fancy wooden hanger and excuses themselves, leaving Byulyi in the room that has been arranged for her (more like a suite) with the satin pajamas that she takes in her hand. 

There are companies in this world that design exclusive custom-made hangers not only for department stores but also  for famous clothes designers, high-end hotels, even for private homes. Byulyi can see that this is one of them: a wooden hanger with initials imprinted on it. B.J.H. written in fine cursive. That’s costing a small fortune. She remembers ever once dealing with hanger companies that served both commercial and private clientele. They did a great job with custom logos and making closets look spectacular. It might sound extravagant, but everyone will want the best hangers in the world when it comes to wardrobe full of designer gowns, furs and $20,000 haute couture cocktail dressers… 

Byulyi shook her head, trying to shake away the unimportant past that went to her out of the blue. Enough about hangers. The deal still goes on and if she wants to survive the next day, sleep is essential. 

She cast a look at the huge bed spread in the middle of the room, unconsciously gulped. 

Let’s hope the demons have finally left her alone now. 

 

-- 

 

“Kisum. You don’t have to do this.” 

Byulyi can see her own heart in her comrades hands. She can only hope her friend holds it with utmost care. “We have a fine life giving back to everyone who deserves it. We shouldn’t want more.” They are Operators. They are jack-of-all-trades, giving to those who ask for it for a good price. For the world to stay balanced. They are wishgranters, sitting on a Peninsula of clouds with their Flaming will. 

“Not everyone deserved it, Byul-ah.” Her dear friend looked at her with sad eyes, as if she was the one who was insane enough to stand at the edge of the tower. “I saw how you killed that boy before. Your eyes are different. We were about to lose whatever we had. No one is saving us. No one is granting our wish, Byul-ah.” 

The woman has trouble understanding. What wish? The only world she knows is hers and Kisum’s, granting wishes as long as they were needed. But her friend said something weird about being disposable or whatever. 

“But I can grant yours.” 

 

Byulyi snapped herself awake from the scene she had seen dozens of times before. Sweat beads cover her entire face and neck, and she looks left and right. There was a reason she disliked huge rooms, and it was nothing but shadows materializing from the room's corners, the source of her sleep paralysis, her own personal "demons." She doesn’t have what it takes to chase them away, since it’s only the repercussions of her upbringing. Finally giving up the idea of sleep, she slipped into the rubber slippers and opened the door, strolling along the hallway. The mansion was almost devoid of servants, save for some who kept guard in assigned corners. It’s a big mansion with a European touch, and looked positively ancient. Byulyi was still on her way before noticing a light peeking from the opened window. Sitting near the balcony, covered in her satin robe with the same pastel hue as Byulyi’s is Irene, sipping what looked like green tea. 

Byulyi called out to her and Irene flashed her signature smile, scoot over to make some space. 

“Can’t sleep?” 

“I don’t really like large houses.” 

“Afraid you’re getting lost in it?” Irene pours some of her tea and offers it to Byulyi who doesn’t have a choice but to accept. “I do. Sometimes. Despite growing up here, I always seemed to get lost when I was a child.” 

“It means You’re adventurous enough to travel to new places.” 

Irene shrugged. “My mom did said it takes balls and chains for me to stay in one place.” She swirls the cup in her hand. “I wonder what hold me back.” 

Byulyi feels like she should ask again. 

“Why do you want to disappear when you have everything you could ever possibly need?” Irene jutted her lips. 

“Is this about your button?” 

“Just asking.” 

“I didn’t mean to blackmail you or anything, but…” She sighed. “I don’t have anyone else to ask.” 

“Even your fiancee?” 

“Suho-oppa?” Irene chuckled. “I forgot to tell you? Miss Youn found him peeing in the bushes in the mansion.” Her chuckle grow to laugh when she observed Byulyi’s bewildered look in response. “All these trustfund rich boys, I swear. I thought I knew him all my life, really.” 

“Gaining your father’s approval and marrying you, while helping you prepare how to disappear.” Byulyi explained. “Is that still the original plan?” 

“Yes sirree.” Irene nodded with a full smile. “The moon is really beautiful tonight, isn’t it?” 

Getting used to the heiress’s abrupt change in topic, Byulyi agrees to that. The light it emanated was quite bright, and the madness of what transpired before ceased to exist if only just for a moment. If she wants to do this she has to do it quick, and avoid any constant exposure that might follow and jeopardized the life she has been trying so hard to keep. 

“What’s for tomorrow?” Byulyi asked. “I heard something about social season.” 

Irene groaned. “Right. My father will have such a good time grilling you about that. That, and I haven’t send out the invitations. Need to take care of that tomorrow.” She took another long look at Byulyi. “And you will be right there with me, my wishgranter. Isn’t that right?” 

Byulyi grasped her thumb on the cup a little tighter. 

 

“I know she wants to disappear.” 

Byulyi has nothing to say at this turn of events. 

“And I know that her marriage is a façade for that.” Lee Soo-man shaking uncomfortably in his seat. “That’s why I will have to dispose of you immediately.” 

Byulyi knows the course of this conversation. “I’m afraid you cannot do that.” The patriarch gave her a puzzled look. “She made it quite clear that I’m the only one she can trust on this mission, and considering she has something I need, I will make sure she gets what she wants without fail.” 

Soo-man mumbled something. “That's ridiculous!” exclaims the speaker. “Are you trying to scare me?”

It only needs a little prodding. “Even if I vanish, what makes you believe she won't seek assistance from others or resort to other means?” Byulyi takes a step ahead. “Perhaps the most horrifying ones. Everything will be too late by then.”

Lee Sooman didn’t get only one thing. “What does she have on you that makes you willing to be roped into this?” 

Saying that it is her foolish instinct wouldn’t help matters to be less complicated. “The point is, I’m your only chance to stop her.” 

She forms another pact with the patriarch in the midst of the madness. A contract to keep his daughter from going to the farthest reaches of the globe.

 

“Of course.”  

A Wishgranter was bound by nothing in their wake for balance between both sides. 


 

at this point it is a festival of hints about Byul's past. But I guess it was too obvious.

I can finally continue when I let go of my ambitious plot and instead focus on the generics. Hope you like it.