This Doesn't Feel Much Like A Break...

I Still Love You

 

 

 

The next couple weeks I had received bouquets of flowers: red roses, pink daffodils, and white  tulips. Also, there were multiple gifts in the form of jewelry, chocolates, among other things. I suppose this was Youngbae’s way of ‘winning me back.’ A laugh escaped my lips because this wasn’t at all Youngbae’s style. This had Kwon Jiyong written all over it. It was like every single gift had a stamped label of my Youngbae’s best friend: “From Kwon Jiyong.” My? I shook my head to rid myself of those lingering thoughts. Not “my” anymore, it was simply “Youngbae” now. Right. Yeah. I could do this. Anyways, back to the flowers...my mother was starting to reach her wit’s end with all these packages and boxes of gifts.

“When are you going to take him back?” my mother inquired while chopping vegetables.

“Eomma, we are taking a break, remember? Things like this take time,” I reassured her while I stole a stranded carrot to munch on. 

“Well, you better take him back soon. I’m sick of my house being treated like some delivery service.” Her cranky response brought a giggle out of me, and she slowly looked up and smiled at me. “It’s good to see you smile, my flower,” my mother said and I immediately ceased my laughter. “Not that nickname again!” I whined, “I thought we agreed to let it die in high school!”

“Well, that was before you decided to start working at a flower shop and before your no-good, rich boyfriend decided to keep sending us all these flowers! Seriously, what are we going to do with this many flowers?” Her rant ended in sputtering and we both started laughing at her poorly masked attempts to hide her fondness for Youngbae. It was no surprise that my parents had quickly fallen under his spell when I first introduced him. With his bright smile, his respectfulness and his inability to stop using dad jokes (much to my father’s enjoyment), Youngbae was the perfect future son-in-law. He could cook, clean and it definitely helped that he was famous and therefore, rich — my parents’ dream husband for me and honestly, I couldn’t disagree.

So, having him actively pursue me since our break, my mother was ecstatic, living out her favorite k-drama. I swear, sometimes it seems she likes him more than she likes me. 

 

After we had calmed down, my mother had finished cutting the vegetables and moved onto preparing the rest of dinner. “Hyorin?” I ‘hmmed’ in response. “Help me with dinner?” “Sure,” I answered. Thoughts of Youngbae gone, it was time to focus on ‘me’, ‘my life.’ 

 

I wonder what he’s been up to? 

 

Apparently, the mind is a treacherous thing… so much for not thinking of him.


 

 

- 2 MONTHS LATER -

 

 

Two months had passed and the gifts had stopped. No more flowers, notes, nothing. It’s like he gave up. Can’t lie, it stung. It hurt like hell. I thought he would’ve continued showing his dedication to us, to his words — his promise. Didn’t he say he wouldn’t let me down? I grumbled and kicked a pebble on the sidewalk as I made my way home. Stupid men. Stupid Youngbae. Cursing his name made me feel a little better. Walking up the steps and entering my house, I heard a male voice. Wait, MALE? It couldn’t be, could it? I rushed in after throwing off my sneakers for a pair of slippers. As I made my way closer to the kitchen where that voice was, I was sure it was him. It had to be. The conversing voices, one being specifically my mother’s, supported my rationale. I could hear them talking about something, the words were a little jumbled but I’d recognize that voice anywhere!

 

 I slammed the door open looking like a wild creature, my hair sticking to parts of my face. “Goodness, Hyorin! Do I have to re-teach you your manners?!” my mother scolded. I looked around the room not even hearing my mother. Where is he? Apparently, I said that aloud because my mother asked who I was looking for.  “Youngbae. I heard him. Where is he?”

Had he come for me?

 

“Honey, Youngbae isn't here.” What? “How...What? I heard him, eomma. I did.” My mother shook her head and turned her gaze to the left, I followed. The family radio. “I think he was doing an interview? Or perhaps it was a rerun?” Her voice trailed off as I stumbled back to sit on the edge of a barstool.

 

It wasn’t him. Not really. Despite his promises, he didn’t come back… he didn't come back for me...

 

As my world fell apart, my mother’s voice sounded farther away, “My! Would you look at that? It has darkened outside so quickly. The sky looks so sad... not a single cloud in the sky.”



 


 

 

A few days passed and I could barely function. I don't know why I’m acting or feeling so different now? I mean, Youngbae and I have been separated for quite some time. So, why am I now feeling such strong feelings of despair?

 

Because he didn’t come back for you — not this time — you became a burden he didn’t want to bear. He got tired of you…you really are such an “attention-seeking pathetic who—”  

 

I slammed down what I had been holding onto, causing it to hit the floor, shattering it completely. Turned out to be a vase  — oh, well. Surprised cries of customers around me made me remember I was currently at work. I didn't even bother asking if they were alright or apologizing like I usually did, rather, I began sweeping up the shards of glass, moving on autopilot. Hours passed by and my shift ended. I locked up, fixed a couple displays and started my walk home. The walk home was close to fifteen minutes, yet today it felt much longer. My heart was responsible for the extra weight, causing my feet to drag along. I was pathetic — bet he isn’t feeling this way about me. My house came into view, and I felt comfort in that. At least I’ll be safe there — warm clothes and comfort food.

 


 

- HALF AN HOUR LATER -

 

 

I had just finished my shower and had piles of junk food waiting for me downstairs. A perfect date with the only person who cares about me: myself. Yes, I’m having a pity party. Leave me alone. In the middle of my drama, I thought I heard the doorbell. Reaching for the remote, I hit ‘pause’. Nothing. No sound. Whatever. I pressed ‘play’ and intended to make this night Youngbae-free. I could do that. It’s not like I haven’t been basically on my own for months now. 

 

 

Beep! Beep! Beep!

My eyes struggled to open properly, sleep clustered in the inner corners of my eyes. The room was so bright. Wait, bright? I opened my eyes immediately. No no no! Please don’t be morning. Glancing at the clock, I squinted for a better view: 9:00 a.m. Dang it! I’m going to be late! I threw my legs over the side of the couch, knocking blankets and leftover snacks in the process. Can’t clean it now! I rushed around, wiping sleep from my eyes as I threw on a simple dress and dragged a brush through my tangled locks. No time for a shower, I thought mournfully because I sure could use one. When was the last time I even took a shower? I mentally reprimanded myself for failing in my self-care duties, especially after working so hard on maintaining my fair complexion and personal hygiene. Whatever. Too late now, I thought begrudgingly. I desperately applied deodorant to mask some of the stench, using perfume for the rest. That’ll have to do. Minimal makeup was next mainly targeting the new fine lines and deep dark circles — no doubt from a lack of healthy eating. I have got to work on that too...

“You’re not gone yet?” Great, and then there's my mother. 

“I’m heading out now, eomma!” I shouted so she could hear me from where she was across the house. I heard her shout something back, but I couldn’t quite hear what she said. But I didn’t have time to ponder that, I’m probably much more than late. After slipping on my sneakers at the door, I made one last check in the mirror. Eh, whatever, not like I’m going to be seeing anyone special. I grabbed my purse and sweater by the door and stepped outside. Nothing could’ve prepared me for what lied beyond... standing right there...

 

 

 

 

“Youngbae?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Author's Note:

Sorry, it's a shorter update. Orginially, this whole story was to be a one-shot (one chapter); however, some parts in the story demanded suspense...thus producing what will now be three chapters. It's a first-time published fanfic, so it can only go up from here :)