Begin Again

I Still Love You

 

 

[RECAP]

Dang it! I’m going to be late! I threw my legs over the side of the couch, knocking blankets and leftover snacks in the process. Can’t clean it now! I rushed around, wiping sleep from my eyes as I threw on a simple dress and dragged a brush through my tangled locks. No time for a shower, I thought mournfully because I sure could use one. When was the last time I even took a shower? I mentally reprimanded myself for failing in my self-care duties, especially after working so hard on maintaining my fair complexion and personal hygiene. Whatever. Too late now, I thought begrudgingly. I desperately applied deodorant to mask some of the stench, using perfume for the rest. That’ll have to do. Minimal makeup was next mainly targeting the new fine lines and deep dark circles — no doubt from a lack of healthy eating. I have got to work on that too...

“You’re not gone yet?” Great, and then there's my mother. 

“I’m heading out now, eomma!” I shouted so she could hear me from where she was across the house. I heard her shout something back, but I couldn’t quite hear what she said. But I didn’t have time to ponder that, I’m probably much more than late. After slipping on my sneakers at the door, I made one last check in the mirror. Eh, whatever, not like I’m going to be seeing anyone special. I grabbed my purse and sweater by the door and stepped outside. Nothing could’ve prepared me for what lied beyond... standing right there...

[END OF RECAP]

 

“Youngbae?”

 

“Uh, hey, Hyorin. What’s up?” he replied while rubbing the back of his neck, a nervous tick he picked up from his trainee years that he never quite got rid of. Now, what I meant to say was ‘Where have you been?’ but like usual, my mouth moves much faster than my brain. “Why are you here?” I spoke with a clipped tone. 

“For you, of course. I told you I’d make good on my promise! That I’d make it all up to you,” he answered.

“Oh yeah?” And the idiot actually nodded and smiled. I can’t believe I’m finding this cute right now — seriously, Hyorin, get your act together!

“You know what you also promised? That you wouldn’t. Let. Me. Down.” Each of my words were emphasized, so he would mentally grasp every single syllable. At least, he had the decency to cringe. I knew there must have been a good reason for all of this, but I didn’t want to hear it. Not right now. I felt used and it was all unfair. I wasn’t staying around for this.

“Goodbye, Youngbae. I need to get to work, and I’m even more late thanks to you!” I stormed past him, but he dashed in front of me, once again blocking my way. 

“Move.”

“No.”

“Get. Out. Of. My. Way.”

“Ok, but only if you don’t run away. Please, Hyorin. Give me a chance to explain.” Scowling at him, I did as he asked, only because I wanted to, mind you.

“You’ve got five minutes. Speak.” I crossed my arms and fixed him with a glare.

“Ok, I know I haven’t been around for some time —“

“That’d be an understatement,” I mumbled under my breath but just loud enough for him not to miss it.

“Yes, I know, and I’m sorry for that.”

“Of course you are,” I replied sarcastically. 

“Hyorin.”

He spoke my name firmly with an exasperated undertone. Ashamed at my child-like behavior, I ducked my head yet urged him to continue. For the next several minutes, he explained everything: how he had taken multiple pieces of advice from friends on how to win my affections once more, yet to no avail. He explained how disheartened he was when I didn’t seem impressed with his efforts or how I didn’t give him anything to go on.

“I took a mental step back from everything,” he further explained, “I didn’t want a repeat of our previous relationship, so I had to make sure this was done right and proper.” Additionally, he further expressed how he had worked himself like an ox, trying to collect an extensive amount of off-days, remembering what I had said about him working all the time. How he visited his boss at work, his fellow Bigbang members and his family, receiving genuine feedback on the points I had brought up about him and seeing how he could do better. He also formed a plan to make his schedule more flexible after discussing with his boss and s. I didn’t know how to respond, I was absolutely stunned.

“I’m sorry I made you think I didn’t care or gave up on you. I speak the truth when I say I was working hard to make you proud, I didn’t want to come back with empty promises. I wanted to return only if I had changed and could do better by you.”

“But it was for months, Youngbae! Months! A message. A phone call. Heck! I would’ve even taken a letter! Something would’ve been nice! You simply dropped off the face of the earth for all I knew! Did you know how hurt I was...”

“I know, I know. I’m sorry, beloved...I can still call you pet names, right?” He looked uncertain as he spoke. I sighed and gave him a slight nod in confirmation. He gave a small smile. 

“You could’ve solved all this additional heartbreak if you had just called or texted, you know,” I continued to rant. With that response, Youngbae knew I had forgiven him, that I believed his words. 

“Yeah, I know. I’m dumb, okay? But you knew that already, didn’t you?” He replied and with his signature eye smile too. 

Ugh, this man will be the death of me. 

“You are dumb,” I told him, pouting and lifting my chin in a joking manner. He laughed and slowly so did I. He looked worn and rumpled as well, I had just noticed. Looks like we both were struggling during this ‘break.’

“The dumbest,” he said. 

“I must admit it’s good to see you smile again and this time, because of me, my sky.”

 

Ba-thump. Ba-thump. 

 

As I lowered my gaze, he had a bouquet of yellow flowers in his hands, a nervous yet sweet smile on his face, “I hope it’s not too presumptuous of me to assume I’ve been forgiven already...I hope you will do me the immense privilege of letting me be your boyfriend once more? As long as you’re here...by my side, I can do anything.”

 

“Yellow flowers: a symbol of the joy of one’s youth and the continued blessings to come as we age.”

How did he know? 

 

Score, Youngbae. 

 

Despite him being the reason for many of my tears, he’s also the reason for many of my smiles. He wants to do better. I want that too. So, let’s start anew, for I still love you.

 

 

 

 

 

Author's Note:

So, that's it. Yes, it was short, but once again, it was supposed to be one chapter lol. Anyways, what did you think? Despite being a short story, I hope my character development matched well with its progression. I'm still learning how to organize my thoughts in a story-line manner, for it's much different than writing research papers or producing technical writing. I have the utmost respect for writers in general who can write in an orderly fashion and still maintain an audience's focus, regardless of the type. Hopefully, in time and through practice, I'll continue to hone my fanfiction writing skills in order to produce a much longer yet captivating story with well-thought out characters and a thought-provoking storyline :)