Of Cows and Horses

My Expectations, The Moon And You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

When Wonyoung said cows, she didn’t expect a huge creature that seemed to weigh a tonne and seemingly as tall as her... they looked a lot more impressive and bigger in comparison to the pictures she had seen of them. She never imagined them to be this big, she had vaguely saw them on the milk’s packaging before... 

 

 

 

Oh and the smell. Dear god, these creatures smelled so badly. A pure scent of animals. She never smelled something this bad in the past.

 

 

Yujin had taken the dog, a shepherd dog, that brought all the cows to the barn. They had cleaned the wooden cabin that was totally upside down, talking a little and exchanging polite smiles throughout the cleaning. At that time Wonyoung was still resolute in her new and fresh start. On her new life... but right now, she wasn’t so sure anymore. Especially as she looked at the cow in front of her. 

 

 

 

 

 

Wonyoung stood at the cow's side, not knowing what to do... how do you milk a cow...

 

 

 

"Staring at it won’t make the milk come out." Yujin said from behind her. 

 

While Wonyoung was pinching her nose to protect herself from the horrible smell and looking at the cow as if she just saw a dinosaur, Yujin had already milked half of the cows here. Not like there were many of them in the first place, they didn’t have many cows but it was still impressive for a single person. 

 

 

"I know." Wonyoung said with a nasally voice, the odour was too bad.

 

 

"And ?" Yujin asked while guiding yet another cow to where she was sitting, and started milking the animal.

 

 

 

Wonyoung was conflicted, she hated admitting her lack of knowledge and she also didn’t really want to touch that creature.. but at the same time she wanted to try something she probably would have never done back at the castle.

 

 

 

"You don’t know how to milk a cow, right ?" Yujin seemed to have read her thoughts, asking the obvious silent question hanging around them. 

 

 

 

Wonyoung looked down, a little ashamed with herself... she nodded although she knew that the other girl couldn’t see her. 

 

 

"Yes..." She mumbled in a low yet distinct voice. 

 

 

 

She heard some rustling from behind her, a sound of a slap and the thuds of the cow’s feet hitting the ground as the animal walked away.

 

 

 

The princess felt the presence of someone behind her... 

 

 

"Let me show you." Yujin’s voice was just behind her... almost talking in her ear.

 

 

 

The farmer’s hand took the princess’ ones, warm yet rough hands touching her delicate and cold ones.  

 

 

Yujin helped Wonyoung, guiding her hands and applying pressure as the familiar movement made some milk squirt out the animal’s udder. 

 

Wonyoung yelped at the milk coming out of the cow... it was a surprising sight...

 

 

"That’s how you do it." Yujin said as she was focused on guiding Wonyoung’s hands.

 

 

 

"I see." Wonyoung was left in awe... it was surprising, really. 

 

 

"I assume you can handle it from now on." Yujin said, retracting her hands from the princess’ ones. 

 

 

 

The loss of the warm touch on her cold hands. It would be a lie to say that Wonyoung didn’t miss the warmth around her hands… her hands that seemed to always be cold.

 

 

 

Wonyoung only nodded, the smell made her want to throw up but she’ll have to manage and get used to it ... this was her new life after all. 

 

 

 

It was very surprising how Wonyoung quickly caught up with the movement... milking a cow wasn’t that hard.

 

 

Her metal milk can soon fill up to the brim with the white liquid. 

 

 

"Yujin look ! It’s almost filled up !" Wonyoung exclaimed excitedly, a feeling of accomplishment feeling her mind. 

 

 

"Whoa you learn fast." Yujin praises her with a proud smile which Wonyoung returned with a toothy one. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

_____

 

 

 

Wonyoung wiped the sweat off her forehead, milking cows was quite physical to be honest... it was only now that Wonyoung took notice of her white gown.

 

 

 

She didn’t remember wearing this at the party. She remembered being in a pretty pink one last night. How was she in a white dress now ?

 

 

 

As she stood up, having finished with the last cow, Wonyoung looked at Yujin’s figure counting the milk cans in front of her.

 

 

"Did you put this dress on me while I was still unconscious ?" Wonyoung asked shyly, her voice not as sure and certain than usual.

 

 

"Hmm ? Oh that ! No, I found you wearing this." Yujin replied while turning around, confused by the sudden question.

 

 

"Oh I see..." Wonyoung frowned, not quite still understanding how she came here... in the past.

 

 

"We need to- Be careful !!" Yujin was about to tell the princess about the rest of their day but she saw Wonyoung walking towards the outside of the barn. The floor was covered in straw, making it hard to notice the small step at the entrance. 

 

 

Before Wonyoung could react in time, she tripped and fell on the dirty ground straws landing in her hair... her white dress…  not as white anymore.

 

 

Wonyoung opened her eyes after the impact, her knee and hands hurt but what hurt her the most was her nose. The smell was just awful... she had just landed on a cow’s ... let’s not mention that.

 

 

She felt someone helping her to stand up, taking the straws out of her hair...

 

 

Never she hated cows this much in her life. 

 

 

 

_____

 

 

 

From being dressed in a white dress to wearing oversized dull looking farmer’s clothes... Wonyoung didn’t know what to hate more. The lack of fashion this outfit had or the lingering smell of what she had lan

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter