Of Lights and Flying Pans

My Expectations, The Moon And You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

A light. 

 

Thinking of lights, stars are the number one image popping in her mind. There are also lampposts, the sun, the lightbulbs, the sky and the moon.

 

The moon. It was the last thing Wonyoung saw before... before what ? 

 

 

She couldn’t quite remember. The only thing she remembered was the moon at the tip of her fingers, looking only mere inches away from her. Its light shining down on her like a spotlight on a theatre scene. As if she was playing the main role of a play, like Juliet in Shakespeare’s famous work. 

 

She had studied it... wait did she ?

 

 

It was blurry, hazy and messy in her head. Nothing quite making sense yet still familiar and right. She had memories yet none at the same time, a sense of knowing something but it was only at the tip of her tongue, waiting for her to remember. 

 

 

 

She knew that she had read Romeo and Juliet, if not then how was she able to tell the whole story and make a whole essay about it in her mind then. However, she just couldn’t remember when and where she read it, with whom or why. 

 

 

What was she thinking again ? Oh right, the lights. 

 

 

Why was she thinking of lights... oh because she couldn’t see any at the moment. She remembered a strong blinding light engulfing her whole as she closed her eyes. 

 

Oh right, eyes. She had closed her eyes, it explained the looming darkness. 

 

 

With some effort, Wonyoung opened her eyes, it was difficult but she did so. Never in her life did she think that opening her eyes could be such a hard task to achieve. 

 

 

Pain. 

 

 

That was what she felt the moment she opened her eyes, the sudden brightness made her eyes hurt as if burnt. She closed them quickly, in an attempt to shield her eyes from the lights. 

 

 

She took a second to regain her composure, daring to open them again and waiting for her vision to get used to the brightness of her surroundings.

 

 

Wait a second... wood ?

 

 

Above her, Wonyoung could see a wooden roof, it was made of some dark wood yet she could sense a form of brightness emanating from it. 

 

Where was she ?

 

 

She questioned herself, her mind getting clearer by the second. As if slowly processing her current situation better. 

 

 

Memories flooding in, the moon, the well, the party... the suffocating feeling. 

 

 

The moon, the stars, the firefly and the bright hole... 

 

 

 

Wonyoung suddenly sat up, the same sense of urgency filling her mind as she looked around her.

 

 

It was a small wooden interior, the kitchen not so far from her with metal pots and other cooking utensils there. It looked clean and tidy. 

 

 Not so far was the wooden table, an empty bowl resting on its surface, left there unattended.

 

On the right was a door, closed. 

 

 

Wonyoung stood up, realising that she had been laying on a very uncomfortable bed now that she took notice of it. A woolly blanket over her and a beast coat covering the bed made of straws.

 

 

A feathery pillow where her head once laid. 

 

 

Next to the bed was a big chest. Made of wood again just like all around her. 

 

 

She inspected her surroundings, the lights coming from the windows... she looked out and only saw green. 

 

It was a vast clearing. Made of green grass, the trees standing tall in a distance and the sun shining brightly in the cleared blue sky. 

 

 

The air felt pure... it felt different and refreshing.

 

 

 

The princess walked to the kitchen, seeing the fresh traces of water left. She took the metal pan in her hands, feeling the rough edges and how old it looked. A real contrast with the modern one she saw in the royal kitchen of the castle. 

 

 

Just then, her ears picked up the sound of a door opening. 

 

 

Turning around she was met with a tall girl looking at her with wide eyes. The stranger was frozen at the doorstep as she looked at Wonyoung.

 

 

 

 

Then, Wonyoung’s mind finally reacted and the first thing she did was to scream.

 

 

 

"AAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH“

 

 

 

 

 

Not far in the forest, the shout made animals run in surprise and birds fly away at the high pitched sound resounding all around.

 

 

 

A pan went flying, hitting the stranger straight in the face in a loud clinking noise. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A minute later, after this... incident, the stranger stood up after being hit by a flying pan. Wonyoung looked at the girl whose face was red due to the impact. 

 

 

It would have been hilarious if Wonyoung wasn’t panicking.

 

 

 

"Ouch, what was that for.?" The stranger said while rubbing her nose in pain. She walked inside the wooden cabin, closer to Wonyoung who just panicked further. 

 

 

 

"Don’t come closer !" Wonyoung yelled while throwing whatever her hands could grab on. 

 

Wooden forks and bowls were flying everywhere while the stranger was shielding herself with her arms while muttering some pained noises under her breath. 

 

Wonyoung's eyes grew wider when she couldn’t grab anything else and when the stranger was now a few meters away from her. 

 

 

The princess closed her eyes, expecting whatever bad things could happen in this situation but she only felt a presence stopping in front of her. 

 

 

"I see that you woke up ... and are full of energy."  The stranger said in a soft and gentle voice.

 

 

Opening her eyes, Wonyoung looked at the stranger looking around the room, everything upside down after Wonyoung’s little fit. 

 

 

 

"Do you remember your name ?" The stranger asked her.

 

 

Wonyoung nodded as an answer, her eyes still big and wary. 

 

 

"Well, Good

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter