Falling Under The Moonlight’s Spell

My Expectations, The Moon And You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter





 

Being someone important is what every humans seek to be, what they aspire to become and what motivates some to accomplish great things. 


 

There are examples of it all throughout history, many books and movies depict the story of the rise of a person who aims for the greater goods, to become someone that people need and someone that inspires others. 



 

But, what happens to the ones who are naturally born with a weight on their shoulders, born as someone people look up to and someone who is already important the minute they were born. 


 

It’s easy to imagine people fighting to become an important figure of history. 

 

It’s harder, however, to imagine someone born as an important figure of history, who each moves and words could be kept in books throughout centuries either to inspire greatness or terror. 


 

Doesn’t everyone want to be remembered ?


 

Being a hero whose story would be told centuries later to children listening in awe. To be someone who history teachers would talk about to bored out students. 


 

A dream, right ? To feel important, to have impacted history and to be and feel needed. 


 

A dream can soon turn into a nightmare though, especially when you were born to meet everyone’s expectations. 



 

Jang Wonyoung, learnt it by herself as the crown princess of the country. Her future country. 


 

Each one of her moves were watched, each of her words heard and wrote down... a single leg sticking out of the path and the press was already going crazy over it. A single error of pronunciation and the news had recorded it all. 


 

It was stressful, as a kid she had to be the most mature of them all, she had to be an example to others despite her young age. 


 

What was scarier however, wasn’t all the attention she was receiving, but the other ‘important’ person she was forced to be close to, to get to know and to bear during dinners and parties. 


 

Their mischievous smiles ready to take profit of her weaknesses, their prying eyes scanning her existence in search of compromising details and their sharp ears to listen to her every words that could possibly upset others. 


 

The scariest part were their mouth, their tongue and their teeth. Mouths that seemed to smile at her in a lopsided grin, their tongue using fancy and complicated words to either confuse or to show off to her and their teeth that looked ready to bite at her whenever she closed her eyes even a fraction of second. 


 

That was how Jang Wonyoung grew up. She was born to be perfect and to be what people expected her to be.


 

Not a single hair sticking out of the way, her words always witty and intelligent and her actions calculated and inspiring.


 

She was not only a genius, she was also sociable and had a heart of gold. Her principles were forged to become one of the most righteous future leader of the Nation. 



 

It may seem lonely and sad but Wonyoung never thought of it that way, although strict, her parents were loving and understanding. They raised her well, helping her to be the perfect woman she always aimed to be. 




 

But like each kid, she had her own worries and fears. Growing up, she learnt more about the reality of life, as someone who’ll rule the nation it was necessary for her to see what life was in all its aspects. Even the dark aspects of it.




 

She learnt who to trust and who to not trust. 

 

Like her cousin, Kim Chaewon who was going to marry the crown princess of a neighbouring Kingdom. 


 

Kim Chaewon and her future spouse, Kim Minjoo were people of trust. Most of her relatives were trustworthy actually. However only few could know her personally, not as the Princess Jang Wonyoung but as the little girl Wonyo. These two knew her to that extent, as Jang Wonyoung and not just as a Princess… There were different levels of trust in the family and she still had troubles to see the lines of who to show her goofy self and who not to.



 

But like everything, exceptions happen. Her own uncle for example once tried to get her assassinated, he failed and was caught by the guards before he could even reach her.


 

That’s when she learnt that even the closest to her could be hiding a dagger behind their smiles. 



 

Talking about smiles, she remembered who to absolutely never trust. Those other important people were the one to be the most careful with, they were nice to you until they found something to overthrow your power. That’s what the king, Wonyoung’s dad, taught her as soon as possible.




 

Although seemingly perfect, Wonyoung slowly felt the weight on her shoulders and the expectant eyes heavier on her, it was just harder and harder each day. The crown was a weight few could carry above their heads. 


 

She watched kids outside the castle, laughing freely at silly jokes the others made, playing with balls and toys. She envied them. 


 

Here, inside the castle, she couldn’t laugh freely or make jokes, these two could be wrongly interpreted and make her image crumble like a sand castle. 


 

She was lonely and the company of these other important persons felt more like a burden than a pleasant talk. She never liked them ever since her childhood. 


 

She was always trapped in between the walls of the castle, often with one of her maid or with a teacher. She listened to the teacher's lecture about neighbouring countries' situations and issues, it was for her to be able to discuss these matters with others. As if she was interested in their boring talk to begin with. However it was one of her duties as a princess, to be able to discuss politics and economics with ease. 


 

Her dad told her that it was great training for when she’ll have important discussions and decisions to take later.  It was like a simulation of when she’ll have the absolute power and have the weight of the country on her shoulders.



 

Tonight, she had to attend one of the usual parties her parents had organised to make more project opportunities and maybe create new connections. Sometimes it was also a way to entertain what she called the important hags, to give them a faux feeling of importance so they wouldn’t be annoying.


 

Like always, she was in the ballroom, a glass of sparkling water in her hand as she listened to the old men disc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter