2 - We Are One

Home is Where the Heart Is
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Kyungsoo couldn’t sleep a wink. He feels like he’s drowning in a sea of strange sheets while tossing and turning on the bed he is currently lying on. He had already managed counting to a hundred sheep after several attempts since he kept losing count halfway through, but it was still to no avail. He had also spent quite some time staring at the smooth ceiling, which only made him think endlessly about everything and nothing.

 

Looking at the clock on the nightstand beside him, he sighed as it displays 12:14 AM in bright red LED lights. He’s thinking of some other ways for sleep to finally come to him, when he hears his door creaked open quickly, like it was nothing he’s supposed to hear.

 

Kyungsoo abruptly shut his eyes, trying to even his breathing. He’s not sure what to make of the sound. Is it a ghost? No, Kyungsoo does not believe in them. Is it an intruder? Well, maybe. Kyungsoo started panicking internally as he hears footfalls nearing him. What if this is not just an intruder, what if whoever or whatever this is is out to kill him? With those thoughts, he surreptitiously balled his hands into fists. He’s been told he can deliver a solid punch, so might as well put it into good use. He’s not going to die without a fight, that, he’s sure of.

 

When he felt his blanket being lifted up, he blindly raised his fist to the intruder. He heard a soft crack when his fist connected to something hard.

 

“Oof! Kyungsoo, that hurts!” Whoever it is sounded in pain. “I was just about to check if you were able to sleep.”

 

Kyungsoo opened his eyes, but kept his defensive stance. When his sight adjusted to the dim light, he saw Chanyeol rubbing his stomach.

 

Holy , Kyungsoo, what have you done?! Kyungsoo mentally facepalmed himself at the realization of who had been the unfortunate recipient of his punch that is totally uncalled for.

 

Kyungsoo immediately scrambled out of bed. “I am so sorry, Chanyeol-hyung.” Kyungsoo kept bowing, embarrassment evident in his gestures.

 

“It’s fine, but whoa, I did not expect someone as tiny as you to have that much of an energy. Your punch really hurt.”

 

Kyungsoo ignored the jab at his stature. He’s pretty sure Chanyeol does not mean any offense with it. He did a 90-degree bow instead. “Hyung, I’m really sorry.”

 

“Nah, don’t sweat it. I’m fine; I’m just surprised, is all.” Chanyeol ruffled his hair when he straightened up. Normally, Kyungsoo does not like his personal space to be invaded, but he’s restless, and Chanyeol’s hand feels warm. He could even feel his eyes drooping while Chanyeol kept carding his fingers in his hair.

 

“Have you slept yet?” Chanyeol asked.

 

Kyungsoo’s reply was a yawn.

 

Chanyeol let out a soft chuckle at the cute sight. “Want me to tuck you in?”

 

Kyungsoo hummed in agreement. Maybe it’s the lethargic side of him taking over, but he feels comfortable with his hyung right now.

 

Chanyeol led him to his bed and waited until he’s on his coziest position before a blanket was gently put on him. “Good night, Kyungsoo.”

 

Kyungsoo only managed to smile slightly in response.

 

Chanyeol waited until Kyungsoo’s breathing became shallow, making sure he’s really asleep already. He slowly retreated from the room, closing the door gently behind him.

 

*****

 

“Hyung, wake up!”

 

Kyungsoo stirred from his sleep due to the incessant knocking and shouting by his door. Filtered rays of sunlight were making themselves known through the curtains. He estimated that it’s just sunrise so he was surprised at who would be at his house this early in the morning.

 

“Hyung!” Another call, almost sounding like a whine. And then it hit him. He’s not at home, or at least this is not the house he’s woken up to the past 17 years of his life.

 

Some other muffled voices by his door started as well. It sounded like they were arguing. Kyungsoo established that this is what he does not like about being with people. Noise. Arguments. His dad shouting at his mom… His dad shouting at him...  Then, deafening silence after the door slammed close.

 

Kyungsoo shook away the memory. He’s grown from the kid who just watched his mom be beaten down, to the man who saw his mom rise up again and be happy, even if it’s not with his biological dad anymore. And maybe, that has been for the best. Uncle Insung seems to take care

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter