Love Poem by IU

Beautiful Scars

2013

October

-

Weeks have passed and Foundation day is nearing, I don’t want to attend training but I have to. My mom still didn’t know I’m playing for foundation day and that’s a relief but she still question me why I’m always late going home nowadays, I just tell her that I have extracurricular activities in school. Since Chanyeol is also with me training after school I have someone with me going home.

“One thing I didn’t miss in training is going home late Chan you know that” I glared to Chan while saying this. We are waiting for the bus.

“But it’s fun right? You rarely go home late this is an experience”

“Experience my . My mom is getting suspicious with me going home late and the fact that I’m always with you is not a good sign. I wish Sejeong is the one I always go home with.” The bus is not crowded and many seats are not taken.

“Sejeong is in cheerleading team they practice different time AHAHAHAHA poor you Sejeong will forget you now” Chan said while laughing. I really want to beat him if we’re not in the bus going home.

“Shut up or I will tell my mom you forced me in playing again” I said while leaning in the window watching the night road.

I remember I have Irene unnie’s number but I don’t know how to start a conversation with her. Did I say this? Irene unnie is my role model from now on imagine running for chairwoman while being nominated to be a valedictorian in our school she’s also a dancer and she’s good with art. I’m already a fan after knowing this information from Chanyeol. Oh Chan is a gossiper that’s why he knows all of this information.

It’s already 10:30pm when I got off the bus. Chan’s house is far from mine, the night breeze calm my soul while walking. I’m getting nervous on what is going to happen exam day will happen before the foundation and I don’t have enough time to review, I know for the fact that I can ace the exam but there is still a chance to fail and I don’t want that to happen. Today is Friday and tomorrow I will visit my grandma to spend some time. I grew up with my grandparents before my mom took me in her care.

-

“Granny I’m home!!” I shouted when I saw her outside the house. I smiled seeing her watering the flowers we planted together when I spent the summer here.

“Oh my granddaughter is here” Granny said while setting aside the watering pot to hug me.

 

“Granny did you know I’m going to play volleyball again Chan signed my name to play for foundation day” I cheerfully told her showing my dimple in my cheek because she is one of those who support me in playing sports.

“If only I can I will go to your school and watch you play again like before”

“No, it’s okay granny your health is more important than seeing me play”

Granny suffers with after the death of Grandpa last year. Whenever I have time I spend it with granny because she is lonely here. She’s getting weaker every time I see her. I don’t want to lose someone I love again.

-

Its Monday and exam day for us, I’m still embarrassed to see Irene unnie like I don’t have a face to show after the chat we had. And yes we started texting each other with some trivial things it’s kinda awkward at first but that’s how first conversation starts right?

Chanyeol and Sejeong is with me going to canteen we have 30mins break before another exam starts and to my luck Irene unnie is walking towards our way.  I panicked that’s why I ran away and found another route to canteen, I left Chan and Sejeong clueless on why I ran.

“Yah!! Why did you ran suddenly?!!” Sejeong ask after I seated with my food. I don’t know what to say to them.

“Uhmm I forgot my wallet in our room that’s why I ran away to take it” I lied to them, I cannot say the true reason cause they will tease me.

And to my surprise my phone lit up notifying I have a new message and when I opened it my phone almost slip in my grasp because the one who message me is Irene unnie.

“Wendy..did you just run away from me? Are you scared of me?”

The truth is ‘yes’ I’m scared and embarrassed to face Irene unnie and its awkward since people will think its unusual for us to have a connection. A sophomore and a senior being friends are suspicious to the eyes of students and the fact she’s famous in our campus.

“Ani. No? No, I did not ignore you.” Even in text I can see myself panicking.

“Really? I thought I scared you, well goodluck on your exam!!”

I was about to reply but the bell rang alerting students the next exam is about to start. While walking my phone rang again another message I wonder from who it is. When I open it I almost have breakdown in the hallway. Chan and Sejeong are getting worried on what is happening and when I told them they are crying also. My grandma is in the hospital she had a again and she’s confined in the hospital. Chan and Sejeong are close to my grandma we are like family when we are together.

After the exam I immediately head to the hospital, the doctor said my grandma will have a difficult time in recovering because of her age and her medical record is not good. My grandma only have a 10% recovery. After I heard that my world fell, my granny is my world I cannot imagine the world without her with me. I’m crying nonstop while looking at her face such a serene face I wish it will be like this all the time.

“Granny I will be here with you I will not leave you” While holding her hand. The door opened and my Mom came carrying food for us.

“Wendy go home you have exam tomorrow don’t worry I will look out for mom” Mom reassured me.

-

Few days had passed it’s my last exam and every day I always head to hospital to check on granny. She’s not recovering her health is deteriorating faster than the doctor predicted they also warned us anytime my grandma can let go. Yesterday Granny and I had a talk I said I don’t want to play again I want to watch her and be with her but granny said.

“No, my child you can still go and participate I will be always here with you I’m not leaving you” Granny said while weakly smiling at me.

“I want to see you do what makes you happy. Don’t listen to your mother she doesn’t understand you like I do. Go live your life Wendy I will be always here supporting you”

I remember those line that granny said I will not forget it. Chan and Sejeong wants to come and visit granny today since it’s the last day of exam. Nearing to the room of Granny, there is a doctor and nurses inside reviving my Granny. I want to come in and be there to my granny but my friends stop me it will only be hindrance for the doctor. I glance at my Granny she’s not responding to the defibrillator. I’m crying and the only thing I can do is look at my granny. My heart can’t accept this situation, it’s getting hard to breath I don’t want to be alone again, my granny is leaving me for real this time can I move from this? This loneliness feeling is here again, granny you’ll be here with me right? In my heart.