A Hello

Jeepney Rapper
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

   It was hot. Yongsun was melting even in the shade. It was expected though. The Philippines was a tropical archipelago and hot was just the default or so the travel brochures said. And travel brochures were Yongsun’s bff prior to this trip with her friends. The Big Family(BF), was what they called themselves a long time ago. In middle school to be exact. Their friendship was one for the books. One that Yongsun wouldn’t trade for anything. Well except for air conditioning, at that very moment. 

 

   “Yongie.” One of her friends called her closer. “We need to ride this thing to get to the waterfalls.” 

 

   The thing was a humongous predated looking thing colorfully painted and decorated with tassels, banners, etc. 

 

   “Is it safe?” She’s scared and fascinated at the same time. 

 

   “Let’s find out.” Answered another one of her friends. 

 

   They milled about, unsure of what to do. Until a guy led them on how to climb up the vehicle correctly. 

 

   “Which waterfall are we going to?” She had the list of waterfalls in her head. 

 

  “Aguinid Falls Ma’am.” Their tour guide answered. He could speak Korean and was heaven sent after they were scammed by the first guide they hired. 

 

   It wasn’t what Yongsun expected when she decided to tag along her friends to Cebu, Philippines. She expected all out fun and adventure but so far it had been a disappointment. The place was beautiful but they were scammed on their first day. It was kind of hard to get excited again. 

 

 

  



 

   “Palihug pliti.” A white man waved a Philippine bill at Yongsun’s face. 

 

   “Sorry. I not speak English.” She blushed. 

 

  “I wasn’t speaking in English. That’s ok. I’m sorry too.” 

 

   He was speaking rapidly, Yongsun didn’t know what he said but nodded anyway. The bill fluttering near her face was taken by their guide and given to a man hanging outside the vehicle like some superhuman. It was another fascinating thing about the trip. 

  





 

  Halfway through the journey they picked up some local middle school students and what seemed like a gaggle of mixed race teens on their way to their own adventure. The middle school students decided it was time to do a show. It was rap time all of a sudden, to everybody’s surprise. They were quite good and after a few songs in their local language, somebody passed on a hat. 

 

   Yongsun was surprised when she received it. There was money, mostly coins inside so she decided to play along and dropped a handful herself. The boys saw what she did and decided to sing another song. 

 

   “It’s dedicated to you.” Their guide said. 

 

   At the song’s chorus another voice rang out. Deeper and quieter but not unpleasant. In fact it’s quite lovely. Yongsun craned her neck to see who was singing. It was one of the teens from the mixed race group. Maybe Chinese. She seemed to know the words to the local song. Yongsun was blown away even more when the girl started rapping with the middle school kids. She was a good rapper as well. Yongsun was sure was gaping open but she couldn’t help it. 

 

   “AGUINID!” A man hanging from the jeepney, it’s what the vehicle was called, shouted out. 

 

    Their guide motioned for them to get out of the vehicle. Yongsun noticed that the mixed race group got off as well. 





 

     They had to trek a bit more to get to the main waterfall. The water was milky due to it mixing with limestone. 

 

   “It has medicinal qualities.” Their guide said. “But just bathe in it. Ok? No drinking!” 

 

   The group laughed at the joke. Somehow, the trip was starting to get enjoyable for Yongsun. 

 

   “You don’t want to swim?” The guide asked her. She was loiter

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter