Proposal

Bday
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

     Hyukjae sighed as he waited for the elevator to reach the floor of the room Jongwoon had told him to go to, biting his lower lip as he thought of what happened and what Jongwoon prepared. The walls of the elevator felt cold against his back but he thought it was a good distraction – he felt anxious but was still trying to control himself before losing his mind. When he was on his way, Jongwoon texted him that a small accident had happened and when Hyukjae called him to ask exactly what happened, Jongwoon’s phone couldn’t be reached anymore. Even though he called it countless times no one picked up and he wanted to break that bloody device. Hell, this is going to make me lose my mind. 

13.. 14.. 15..

He muttered the numbers the elevator passed by, sighing every time it wasn’t the one he should leave. Oh, 19. He noticed, running out of the elevator as soon as the door opened. 192.. 193.. 194.. 195! He slowed to a stop once he reached the door, panting as he tried to catch his breath. He gently knocked on the door, frowning when no one opened it until he noticed the green light on the lock. He twisted the knob, his frown deepening as the door opened easily. So he didn't lock the door?

He pushed it open and the moment the door opened wide, his eyes caught something on the floor and it was a path full of fresh, red rose petals, looked messy yet somehow neatly arranged. He entered the room and carefully closed it while his eyes wandered. He saw a variety of balloons sticking on the wall, some were on the ceiling, hanging. He also saw tons of their photos together on every different special occasion over the years placed on a rack next to him. His forehead creased at the sight he was seeing. 

He did all of this in such a small span of hours? And did he just make me worried on purpose?

He huffed before biting the inside of his cheek, trying to prevent himself from smiling when he realized what was happening around him. His posture relaxed, automatically placing his hand on his waist while the other one was hiding his mouth as embarrassment started building up on his body. “I never knew you would do this, hyung. Ah, really..” He whispered under his breath, still trying not to curve his lips into a smile. The moment he took a step, something fell from the ceiling that made him startled. He blinked and there, he saw a red paper hanging on a string. He took it and read what's inside. 

Did I shock you? You didn't expect this right? Me doing something as cringy as this. I wonder what was on my mind for me to think of this.. Seriously, you should be really thankful, Hyukkie. This is my first time doing something like this for someone and I hope you will be the only one I will do this for.

Were you worried? I'm sorry I had to turn off my phone. I feared I would end up spoiling everything once I picked up your call. Anyway, this is the surprise! Can you follow the petals path you are seeing right now? There’s a big surprise waiting for you at the end of it.

Love you!

– Jongwoon

"You really talk a lot even in letters, huh." Hyukjae chuckled while folding the paper again and putting it in his pocket. He followed what Jongwoon said. He walked and continued walking until he saw the petals curved to its right. He followed it when he turned to his right, his heart melted with what he saw. In the glass window there were led lights attached on the edge of it, the faint light making the view of the heart shaped red sticky notes along with the beautiful sight of the night sky from the window look ethereal. 

His eyes lowered and he saw a heart-shaped tealight candles forming a big heart with rose petals inside. He focused on how beautiful it was until he frowned the moment he heard a small sound coming from a room not that far from him. It was too low for him to understand, and he wanted to see what it was but stopped once he felt soft fur tickling his feet. He looked down and there was Kkoming and Melo, gently pawing on his feet. He bent down and panicked when he noticed the cardboards on their necks. He touched it and was about to take it off when he felt they were lightweight, that made him sigh in relief. 

He read what was written on Melo's placard and it said, Hyukkie appa, read this letter Jongwoon appa written for you. Arf! P.S. After reading it, please attach the stickers on my sister's cardboard. Arf!

He laughed when he read the "arf" at the end of sentences. He ruffled Melo's fur before taking the letter and opening it. 

“Funny that the person who is reading this crappy letter right now still makes my heart beat faster by just looking at him or anything that reminds me of him. Yup, that's how whipped I am for you, even when you make me stressed. Remembering the tons of teases you did to me through the years makes me want to curse you again for the nth time.. Stupid. Will I ever forget about it? No. Definitely not.

"You have the audacity to call me stupid when you're the real stupid between us?" Hyukjae complained loudly which earned a faint laugh in a room close to where he was. 

You see.. Even though you are a brat, really stupid, annoying, picky and really whiny, I still finding myself loving all those traits. You still are an amazing, cute, kind, lovable and the most handsome person in my eyes, no matter how annoying you can be while teasing me. And you know, Hyukkie, my thoughts never changed about that, even in all those years we spent together. I find it amazing that we've been together for so many years, like, how did that happen? You know that I really didn’t believe in love, at least not until the day you entered my life unannounced, making me fall so deeply for you that I only realized that, once I was drowning with all those things I felt for you. It was at that moment that I told myself, “ah, this person will be my lifetime- no, my forever.” I know you're already cringing but please let me continue this. 

“I am, stupid..” Hyukjae answered, a small smile on his lips as he replied to it as if Jongwoon was saying those things in front of him. His eyes began to shake as every word Jongwoon wrote started to sink in. The memories of those days came to him and he reminisced, his heart feeling more and more full in his chest as he remembered how they were two fools, being introduced to the real world for the first time. The first time they met, the first time they talked, those meetings that at that time felt like they were just a passing encounter, but it made them be where they were standing even on this day. All those memories flashed on his mind and he felt his eyes tearing up.

I remember the day I told you I didn’t believe in love, that even though my friends tried to persuade me to meet someone, to be with someone, I always rejected it. It was the day you told me you were willing to wait until I felt comfortable enough around you to want to date you.

Have I ever told you that I wanted to be with you as soon as you said that? I never told you, but an old friend of mine said “Let Jongwoon decide on his own. Eventually he will meet someone and that someone would be worth waiting for him.” To know you were willing to wait, that you wouldn’t push me.. That made my heart flutter.

I guess today, with this, we both can realize that it was true, that eve

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter