Chapter 1

Remember me

Yerin wakes up in a cold sweat, shaken from her nightmare she tries to compose herself, taking deep breaths to lower her heart rate. Suddenly getting a feeling that she doesn’t recognize where she was, giving her a short fit of terror, leaving her chest feeling tight. She slowly tried to breathe and finally regain her conscious and remembering that she was in her own room. With a sigh of relief, she finally got up from her bed and started to get ready for the day. She had dreamt about the same nightmare a few months back but the feeling of fear and stress still remains inside of her each time. It was about an image that she held dear to her heart slowly fading away, trying to catch it was impossible and screaming for help was no use. Showering her with a feeling of abandonment and loneliness. As she splashed some cold water into her face, she tried to cover her dark circles under her eyes and giving the biggest most fake smile she could, to her surprise helping the chest pain from before to ease a bit. 

 

As she went down the stairs, she was greeted by her own two parents. Yerin smiled at them trying to cover the emotions she experienced upstairs.  

 

“Hi princess. Did you sleep well?” The man with round glasses and the sweetest eye smile exclaimed. 

 

Yerin returned the eye smile “Yeah, dad.” Yerin’s voice croaked as she still hadn't fully woken up. As Yerin’s dad examined his daughter and returned to the newspaper, Yerin sat down opposite him starting to munch on the toast that was served for her.  

Her mother gave a quick peck on Yerin’s forehead “Good morning sunshine”, said the woman with shoulder length hair and a black blazer. “Today is a big day Yenni, you are moving to the big city to start college, good thing we already moved most of your stuff there so you don’t have to carry as much.” The mom said with an excited voice.  

Yerin turned to her mother.” Yeah that was a really good idea, thank you for helping me move the stuff over.” Yerin said a bit brighter as her voice warmed up. “Nothing we wouldn’t do for our little princess.” Yerin’s dad chuckled as Yerin was finishing her toast. 

 

Yerin finished up and cleaned the dishes and was heading to grab the last bits of stuff that she wanted to bring to her future accommodation. One of those things was a photo of her being between two friends smiling and looking happy. She didn’t recognize them but her heart felt warm upon seeing all three of them smiling. She knew that they were long-time friends but the memories with them was a blur. When Yerin look back to her recovery from the accident that left her with no memories. She remembered her friends in the photo visiting quite often. Often talking about old times and memories that Yerin couldn’t remember.  

 

As Yerin stuffed her remaining items, one of them being a duck plushie, she took her bag and went to the front door putting on her shoes. Her parents were by her side looking at her with a bit of worry in their eyes. “Are you sure that you’ll be fine Princess?” her dad asked with a bit of worry in his tone. “I’ll be fine don’t worry, as I remembered I was going to a collage that I really wanted to go to before I lost my...” but before Yerin could finish her sentence, her mother gave her a big hug. “Please call us if you have any problems along the way.” Her mother exclaimed and all Yerin could do was to nod in her embrace. Shortly after her dad joined the group hug. At this time Yerin felt that this hug had a meaning and a history that she couldn’t quite pinpoint. As they left the embrace, Yerin gave her last goodbye before exiting her house and walked to the train leading her to the new life. 

 

While waiting for the train she saw two silhouettes walking towards her followed by someone shouting Yerin’s name. As they got closer, Yerin saw her two friends from the photo and that visited her during her recovery. She remembered theirs names being Yuju and Umji when they presented themselves at the hospital. Yerin waved to them giving a big smile on their face and greeted them as soon as they were in front of her. “Hi Yerin unnie! Ready to go start our college lives?” Yuju asked with an excited voice. “Yeah! I can’t believe all three of us got accepted to this college, we all decided to study hard so that we could go to the same college. Remember unnie?” Umji asked but all Yerin could give back was a smirk saying that she don’t remember. Before the conversation could go any further, the train stopped at the station and all of them entered.  

 

The ride to the city was rather comfortable. All of them bought some snacks on the train. Sharing expectations and guessing how the college life would be. Umji and Yuju also explained that both are studying economics and are going to have similar classes. Although Yerin is not studying the same course as her friends, she saw on their schedule that they have some classes where they are together which made Yerin happy knowing that she will be with people that she already knows. 

 

Soon they arrived at their stop and finally walked out of the station to see the city in front of them, all of them were from a smaller village and it was the first time they all were in a bigger city. Yuju took command and looked up the directions to the college and they all began walking after Yuju.  

 

After what seemed like forever, they finally reached their destination. While all of them were staring at the big building. Someone walked by, accidentally pushing Yerin with their shoulder making her almost fall down. When Yerin regained her balance, she shouted at the girl making her quickly look at Yerin with a surprised face and continued to the entrance. Yerin just brushed herself off and frowned making her let out a big sigh. “Well, I guess this is where it starts” Yerin said to her friends as all of them entered the big building. 

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, It’s-a me, author-nim. 

Thank you for reading and please leave feedback on how I can make this story better :3