FORBIDDEN HEART

Forbidden Heart

FOUR

 

❤︎✗❤︎✗❤︎

 

It’s 5.30 AM in the morning, there’s an email pops up on my phone.

I’m still bleary-eyed from lack of sleep— I stayed up working and thinking about the next volume’s content until nearly three— and I squint at my phone, letting my thumb hover over the message. I see the sender of the email— Oh Sehun, it says but I don’t click on it. Instead I roll aside and see Kai is sleeping like an angel beside me. His hair is falling on his face— half covering his perfect visual.

“Do you like what you see?” Kai asks. It’s hard not to laugh at his rumpled hair and sleepy expression.

“I love it.”

“Of course, you do.” He says, pulling me closer so he could wrap me in his arms.

“Kai, I gotta go.”

He groans and rolls over onto his back, staring at the ceiling with a little pout formed on his lips. “I wish I could just kidnap you.”

“Oh, I wish you would.”

There’s another grunt coming out from him as he tries to sit up against the wall. A look of sadness flashing across his face. “Let’s have a movie night, tonight?”

“I don’t think it’s a good idea because I have to work late tonight.”

“What about tomorrow?”

I’m afraid if I say no to him, he’d probably be sad all day so I’m trying to make a little promise which I know, he’ll be upset later if he finds out that I couldn’t fulfil my promise.

“I’ll working on it, okay?” I say softly, expecting to draw a frown out of him, but instead his expression lightens up.

“I’m just joking, Nara. I know you’ll be busy this week.” He says, “We can do whatever we want after new year.”

I raised an eyebrow. “After new year?”

“Yes.”

“What do you mean?”

“I’ll take a full week off to accompany you.” He explains and I blink my eyes out of confusion. “I’m the CEO of my own company, remember?”

“What?” I stare at him. “But you can’t—”

“I can if it’s for you.”

“Kai…”

“I built this company because of you and your support. If it’s not because of you, I wouldn’t make it until now, Nara.”

He gives me the sweetest look. I can see honey is falling out of his eyes. He is so sweet— the sweetest. I lean on to kiss him as he kisses me back. I can feel that he is pouring his love out through the kiss. It’s a full of love morning, indeed.

“I love you, Nara.” Kai says as soon as we break the kiss for air.

“I love you more, Kai.”

My phone suddenly ringing, interrupting Kai and I’s moment. I grunt as I roll over, reaching for my phone on the bedside table. I see an unfamiliar number flashing on the screen. I sigh and press the green button, expecting an wrong number instead I hear a man’s voice over the phone.

“Hello? Nara?”

I roll my eyes as soon as I recognize the voice’s owner. I give an apologetic smile to Kai and he nods, understanding my situation. I kiss him on the cheek and then I roll out of bed, walking outside the room.

“How did you get my number?” I ask, not trying to sound polite at all.

“Doesn’t matter. I just want to ask whether if you get my email or not. If you have, why don’t you reply to my email as soon as I sent—”

“For God’s sake, Sehun. It’s 5.45 in the morning and you’re totally disturbing my moment with my boyfriend— all that because of an email? Are you being serious right now?” I yell over the phone. I know I’m totally being so unpolite to my colleague but I feel like I’m about to explode in any second because of him.

“Oh…” He pauses, “Your moment with your boyfriend? Is it an steamy one that I disturb you on?”

“Shut up, Sehun.” And just like that I hang up the call. There it is, I just exploded.

I slump down on the couch and massage my temple. There’s an new message flashing on my phone. I click on it to see Sehun’s message.

I’m sorry, Nara.

I can’t believe what I just see. He’s actually can apologize? It’s new side of him that I found out since the moment I met him which is just yesterday. I type an simple ‘Okay’ and send it to him before I throw my phone on the couch, leaving to take a shower.

 


        

After taking an 30 minutes long shower, I walk to the kitchen to see Kai’s back. He is washing the dishes from last night. I feel so guilty. I’m taking my step slowly, trying to scare him off. I jump and hug him from the back.

“I heard you tiptoe-ing, silly.”

I pout and rest my head on his back. “I wish I could spend the day with you like this.”

“Next week, okay?”

“Okay.”

I release my arms and try to make a coffee and toast for our breakfast. I take glance over Kai. He is wearing an simple white sweater with jeans. Though he is on his day off, he’s forced to dress up and wake up so early because of me. Kai tends to take me to work because he thinks that my safety is his duty. It’s funny yet so cute.

“Do you want a strawberry or chocolate?”

“Chocolate.”

I spread the chocolate jam on Kai’s toast evenly and a strawberry jam on mine. “You know…” I say, “I think you should rest more.”     

Suddenly, Kai sticks his head out beside me and asks, “What do you mean?”

“I mean, I think I can make it on my own to work.”

Kai becomes so silent. He turns off the water as soon as he is done with the dishes and walk to my side, picking up the mug to his chin. “Are you sure?”

“I’m sure, Kai. It’s your day off, you should spend your time on the things you can’t do during your work days.” I say.

He takes a sip of the coffee and nods. “Alright, then. But let me just take you to work for today, okay?” He says, pointing his finger on his clothes. “I’m already dressed as you can see.”

“Sure!”

I sit beside Kai as we enjoy our breakfast, Kai is telling me about his upcoming client at his company. I always love to see Kai talking about his baby— his company. He treasures his company so much— probably more than he treasures me. His company is an advertising company that he built a year after he graduated. Thanks to his parents, he has so many links to other companies which he eventually succeed on making his own company. Though he is not interested in his family’s business, his parents just let him do whatever he wants. I wish I have a parents like him.

“And I couldn’t say no to him because he’s so persistent. I swear that I never met a client like him.” Kai says with a frown on his face.

“Well, in work we would meet another person with another personality. Though you always used to get a client which matches with you but now it’s just another obstacle for you. I know you can do it because you always did.” I say.

 Kai nods and smiles. “I did it all because of your support, Nara.”

“I’m always curious,” I pause, adjusting my position and look at him in the eye, “Did your mother fed you with honey everyday? Why are you so sweet?”

Laughing, he says, “I think so.”

I wipe my mouth with a napkin and glance at the clock. It says 6.50, it means we gotta go now or I’ll be late.

“Are you done yet?” I ask.

“Yes. Let’s go.” Kai stands up and picks his car’s key. I pick up the mugs and plates that we just used by stopped by Kai. “Hey, leave that be. I’ll clean it up once I get home.”

I put all the dishes on the sink and walk to Kai. I kiss him on the lips and say, “Thank you, babe.”

 


 

There are five cars lining up in front of the main lobby and we are still outside the building, I look at my watch and I tap on my feet— I’m totally an impatient person.

“I think I’m just going to die by waiting all those cars.” I say, collecting all my stuffs before I put on my heels. “I’ll just walk from here so you don’t need to get inside.”

Kai nods and kisses me on the lips. “Call me if you need me to pick you up later, okay?”

“I will. I love you.” I say and get out of the car, not even waiting for Kai to say anything.

I hurry through the crowd toward the entrance with all the folders on my arms but I’m so relieved when someone pushes open the glass door and holds the door for me just as I get there.

“Will you let me help you this time?”

I look up to meet Sehun, standing whilst holding the door for me. “No.” I say and walk away from him.

I hear steps running toward me which I’m sure it’s Sehun’s. I try to walk faster and hear someone is laughing softly behind me. I stop in front of the elevator, hoping that it would get here faster.

“You don’t need to avoid me like that, you know.” Sehun says, standing beside me.

As soon as the elevator’s door opens, I get inside and press the close button but Sehun holds it with his foot.

“And you’re going to leave me out here?”

“Shut up and get in.” I snap at him.

The ride up is silent. It’s too crowded for my liking and I feel so uncomfortable with the fact that Sehun is standing so close beside me.

“How’s your steamy session with your boyfriend this morning that I disturb? Did you continue after you hung up the phone?” Sehun whispers but still loud enough for the whole elevator to hear him.

I feel my cheeks getting warm— in fact it’s hot and I know even without I see it, it probably already red as hell. I can’t believe that he just said it out loud in front of everyone. I turn to glare at him and step on his foot that makes him yelp in pain. As Sehun about to say another words, the elevator stops at our floor. I run outside, walking faster than Usain Bolt.

“Nara!” I hear Sehun calls me out but I ignore him as I make my way to my office.

And in the middle of my way, I meet Jina. She is smilling ear to ear— something good is happening to her, I suppose. But her smile fades away when she sees a frown patches on my face.

“Calm down, young lady. What’s wrong?” She asks.

I try to calm myself down but breathing properly. Sehun is really out of line this time. I don’t think I can work with him throughout this week. It’s better to live in hell than a whole week with him.

“That Sehun guy, I can’t believe… he just…he is crazy!” I tell her, half shouting.

Jina realizes that I’m about to explode so she drags me to my office and shut the door behind her. “Okay, okay. Spill the beans now.”

Impulsively, I say, “Jina, I think I’m going to resign.”

Jina blinks out of surprise. Her eyes is wides open. I know she is shocked, either I am. I tend to say things that I never meant to say out of frustration.

“I’m joking.” As soon as I say that, Jina sigh in relieve.

“Is it Sehun? I think he—”

I stand up and walk to my table. “Don’t even talk about it again.” I say, “Or say his name in front of me. Ever again.”

“Sure thing. If you want to talk about it, you know I’m always at my office.” Jina says.

I look at her and smile. “Thank you, Jina.”

What I love about Jina, she really resembles Kai a lot. They don’t ask too much and understand me a lot. They wouldn’t throw much questions if I don’t want to talk about it. They would just wait for me to open up by myself to them. I think it’s also the reason why I cling to Jina all the time.

Jina stands up and open the door, “See you at lunch.” And then she walks back to her office.

I sigh and start to review all the ideas that I gathered last night but something caught my eyes. It’s a blue folder on my side table. IDEAS— is written as the subject of the folder. I open the folder to see bunch of papers— all the different ideas are in it, including all the previous volumes we’ve worked on. I look outside my office to see that everyone is working— I’m trying to catch a pair of eyes who’s probably waiting for me to open this blue folder but none.

“It’s probably Junho.” I mumble to myself, organizing the papers back into the folder.

“Excuse me, Mam.” Junho calls and I look up at him. “The meeting will be start in 10 minutes. Do you need me to bring all the stuffs in advance?”

I take a glance over the clock on the wall. I have 10 minutes left to review all of this before the meeting.   

“No, Junho. I can do it by myself. Thank you for your offer.” I say.

He nods and is about to leave the room but I stop him by calling his name. “And thank you for this.” I say, lifting the blue folder up.

A confusion is written on his face. He raised an eyebrow and says, “What about that, Mam?”

“It’s you who made this, right?”

“No, Mam.” I nod and motion him to go.

I’m taken aback a little. If it’s not him then who?

 


        

The meeting runs so smoothly. Everyone is accepting my ideas including Mrs. Han. Now all we have to is running the project within a week. It’s not easy but I know I can do it. I’ve already informed the editors, writers and every staffs in my division about the ‘no day off’ during Christmas— fortunately they are all agreed.

“Okay, Nara. You and Sehun should talk about it. I’m expecting it to be done by the end of the week, okay?” Mrs. Han says.

I nod, glancing at Sehun who’s nodding aggressively. “Yes, Mam.”

As soon as the meeting is ended, I walk back to my office. I keep thinking about the blue folder earlier. Mostly, it’s because of the folder that my ideas came from. Whoever the sender is, I owe him or her a lot. And my phone is disturbing my thought. I see Kai’s name on it and a smile forms on my face.

“Hey, pretty.” Kai says.

“Hey. What are you doing?” I ask, pressing the elevator’s button.

“Missing you.”

I laugh. “Stop it, Kai. Do you want me die early because of your sweetness?”

“Anyway, how’s your meeting?” He asks.

“Good. Everything’s good.”

I hear ruffling sounds over the phone, I suppose Kai is trying to find something to cook for his lunch. “Hmm… good then. I’m just checking so I’ll call you later okay?” He says.

“Cool. Bye, babe. Love you.”

“I love you more, Nara.” I smile at his words and hang up the call.

I greet the junior editor who’s passing by me. And when I’m looking at my office, I see that Jina is already waiting inside to have lunch with me. She is playing with phone while laying down on my couch. She lifts her hands as a greet when she sees me back.

“How is it?” She asks.

 “As smooth as baby’s .”

Jina laughs and sits properly. She shoves her phone back to her pocket and cross her arm to mine. “Great. Now, let’s go eat.” 

We walk arm in arm, talking about the big sales in almost every stores. Our building office is located in the heart of Cheongdamdong district which is the place where all the branded stores are. We walk passes by all the stores and see a lot of ‘Sale’ sign on. If today is my day off, I’d probably walking around here like this with Kai not Jina.

“Anyway, did you see anyone coming to my office this morning?” I ask.

Jina is working as Ad Sales Manager— she often to stay at office until midnight and her office is just across mine so she would probably see someone coming in and out of my office.

“This morning… no but last night, yes.” She says.

“Who?”

“Sehun.”

I abruptly stop at my track. Why would he help me? I know that we’re working together but all of the ideas he gave me are totally beyond amazing. He even organized every single details within every contents. And it also taking lots of time to make something like that especially if it’s so neat like that.

“Jina, I’m so sorry but can you eat lunch by yourself, today? I have something to do.” I say and give an apologetic look to Jina as I walk away from her. “I’m sorry, okay?”

I eagerly run back to office. I try calling Sehun twice but he doesn’t pick up so I text him, asking where he is. Truthfully, without the ideas that Sehun gave me, today’s presentation probably will be denied because like I said, most of my ideas during the presentation is coming from that mysterious blue folder.

When I get to the office, I head straight to Sehun’s office to find no one.

“Are you looking for Mr. Oh?”

I turn around to see a petite female in front of me, holding a folder.

“Yes. Do you know where I could find him?”

“He is always spending his lunch time at the library.”

I thank her and walk to the library. I’m thinking about the latter just told me, if Sehun always spend his lunch time at the library then why in the world I met him yesterday at the restaurant? I shrug off the thought once I arrive at the library.

As soon as I walk inside the library, I see a familiar’s silhouette whom I’m looking for. He is sitting comfortably on the chair as he’s resting his body against the window. The sunlight is covering his face. I walk closer toward him until I can see his figure clearly. He is reading something— it’s a novel. He likes to read novel? It’s unexpected.

“All The Bright Places is a good choice.” I say.

Sehun looks up at me, and when our eyes meet, I can see his light brown eyes. He stares at me with no expression. I awkwardly pull the chair beside him and sit.

I look around the library and amaze with the design interior of the library. I’ve been working here for 4 years but I haven’t been visiting library even once. The interior looks so vintage yet so modern. The rich brown-white vintage on the ceiling which is match with the book shelves. There are just a few people in here that makes the library feels so cozy and all.

Coldly Sehun says, “What are you doing in here?”

I blink at him, caught off guard. “W…What?”

“If you have nothing to say then I’m asking you politely to leave me alone.”

Come on, Nara. You’re here to have peace with him. Remember that he totally helped you with the ideas. Let’s just push down my ego for a bit.

“Have you eaten yet? Mind to have lunch with me?” I ask.

There is no respond from him. All he do is staring at me. I can say that he has the perfect light brown eyes, thanks to the sunlight behind him— it makes his eyes looks much lighter than actually is.

“Or not.” I say, standing up and turning my back at him.

I’m trying to be nice but he’s just sit still right there, looking like a statue— it’s like I’m talking to the wall. And what’s with the sudden change of his personality? As far as I remember, he was being a jerk this morning but now he’s becoming all mysterious and cold.

 


        

It’s already 11 PM and I’m still stuck at the office with Sehun and Jay, head of graphic designer. We’re currently working the main content. Surprisingly, Sehun and I have no problem in working as a team, instead we’re working so good as a team— perfect team, Jay named us and I’m agree with Jay.

“I’m craving for Cheeseburger, anyone?” Jay throws in.

I nod and say, “Cool.”

“How about you, Sehun?” Jay asks.

“Nah, I’m fine.”

I look at Sehun. He is a little bit distant to me since the meeting. I don’t know what’s wrong with him. Did I do something wrong? Did I offense him in any way? I don’t know a thing. Though we’re working in sync, he’s not talking much except talking about the project we’re working on.

My phone is ringing and I see Kai’s name flashing on the screen. I eagerly pick up my phone and walk outside the room.

“Hey, handsome.” I say.

“Well, hey. I think someone is in a good mood.” He says over the phone.

“Yeah. Everything is running so well. And everyone is working without any complaint.”

Kai laughs and says, “And also I guess you’re no longer have problem with your creative director, huh?”

My smile fades away as soon as I hear Kai mentioning Sehun. I turn around to see Sehun. The room is all glass so I can easily see Sehun who’s talking with Jay. He is actually laughing. He never even smile at me but now he’s laughing when I’m not there?

“Hello? Nara?”

“Babe, I gotta go. I’ll see you at home, okay? I love you.” I hang up the call and get back inside the room.

“So, what’s so funny?” I ask them cheerfully.  

Jay is still laughing and pointing his finger to Sehun. “He just told me such a funny story. Tell her too, Sehun.”

“No.” Sehun snaps without smiling. “She’ll probably thinks that it’s not funny.”

I feel like my heart is dropping to the floor. I know that I just met Sehun yesterday but this is not Sehun I know. I try to remember all the things I did during the meeting or I said— I’m a bit afraid that somehow I hurt him in any way.

“Come on, Sehun. She deserves to hear it too.” Jay says as he gets himself a glass of water.

Unconvincingly I say, “No, Jay. It’s fine. I don’t want to know either.”

There’s dead silent in the room. I can see that Jay is slowly get his back to work and putting down the glass on the table softly— so soft so I can’t hear a thing.

“Okay. Let’s just get back to work.” Sehun says.

 “You know what? Let’s call it off for today. It’s almost 12. It’s better we continue this tomorrow morning.” This time, it’s my turn to snap at Sehun.

Jay is staring at me and back at Sehun. He is standing awkwardly between Sehun and I. I kinda feel sorry for Jay. I give him a weak smile and leave the room. I really don’t know why Sehun suddenly being like that especially only to me. I wish he would just tell me what’s his problem is.

“DAMN YOU, SEHUN!” I shout out of frustration, punching the air— thinking that I’m punching Sehun’s face. To think of it, I don’t know why am I being like this. Why am I concern about his attitude toward me? I mean, I hate it when he’s all flirty and friendly to me so I should be happy if he’s like this but why do I hate it if he’s being all distant with me?

“Pardon?”

I turn around and see Sehun is standing at the door, holding my pouch. I bite my lips out of embarrassment. Sehun is giving me a look that says what are you doing, and Jay is watching me with such a pity look.

“I believe this is yours.” Sehun throws the pouch at me which is landed on my arms safely.

Awkwardly I say, “Thank you.”

Sehun nods and turns around, leaving me with Jay. “I’m sorry for that.” Jay says, following Sehun after.

I sit on my couch and hide my face with the pillow. I’m trying to scream but none come out. I feel like I just did a free dive into the ocean.