FORBIDDEN HEART

Forbidden Heart

TWO

 

❤︎✕❤︎✕❤︎

 

“Do you want more of avocado?” Kai asks, offering a jar of avocado.  

I shake my head whilst inhaling the toast he made for our brunch. We wake up a little bit late than usual today. It all because of our little drama last night. I would take the blame on the wine. The wine effect is not only makes me wide awake but also it makes me extra emotional than I already am.

I stare at the window to see the sky is so blue and it’s not snowing. It’s a perfect day to have a little Sunday date.

“Shall we go out today?” I ask, eyes still glueing to the window.

“I’m in.” Kai says.

I take a sip of tea. “Why don’t we go visit your grand mother today?”

Kai stares at me. “What’s so sudden?”

“Just because.”

He stuffs in all the toast into his mouth, he says, “Alright. Let’s finish this all and then off we go.”

“Swallow before you speak, little man.”

“Who’s the little man?” He jumps to me and tickles me here and there. I try to run away from his arms but thanks to his big-strong arms, I couldn’t even move an inch.

I laugh non-stop and in the end, I pull out an invicible white flag. “Okay, okay! I surrender!”

I’m so grateful even for days like this. To laugh with him is something that I won’t trade with anything in this world. His deep laugh is like a song to my ear— my favorite song ever.

“Go get ready, I’ll wash the dishes.” He pushes me.

I raise an eyebrow. Wash the dishes is his least favorite thing to do. “You sure? I thought you—”

My phone suddenly ringing. Kai and I stare at each other. And my heart starting to beat faster than usual. I pick my phone up to see ‘Daddy’ flashing on the screen. I look at Kai and he gives me a little nod as if he motions me to answer the call. I take a deep breath before I press the green button.

“Daddy?”

It’s so loud over the phone. He must be outside. “Hi, princess.” There’s a long pause before he continues, “Can we meet?”

My heart falls upon hearing his last sentence. He is in here. Lots of possibilities pops out in my head. And I’m not lying when I say that I’m scared. I look at Kai who’s staring at me with concern all over his eyes. He knows something is happening over this a minute long call.

“Nara? Are you still there?” My father calls my name over and over again into my ear.

Kai stops doing whatever he’s doing and leads me to the couch. He motions me to breath properly and I try to follow him.

I clear my throat. “Yes. What’s up, Daddy?” Kai couldn’t believe what he’s hearing. ‘What’s Up’ to a older person? Especially a father? Nah. He never do that before.

I admit that I’m still a American when it comes to talk to my family but Kai is not a fan of the ‘American’ me.

My father laughs over the phone. “It’s great to hear your voice, Nara.”

“Yeah. Me too.”

“So, can we meet today?”

I know if I agree to meet him, I’ll probably going to regret it but I kind of missing my family. I stare at Kai, hoping that he’d help me out but he doesn’t even know what’s happening on this phone call.

Impulsively I say, “Okay.”

“Great. I’ll text you the place and time.”

“Ok. Cool.” And just like that I just make a big mistake ever in my life. I believe so.

Kai is waiting for me explain what’s the call about and everything. I sigh and hug him. He taps my back softly. He knows that I don’t need a question right now because all I need is him to hug me like this.

I break the hug and hold his hands. “Will you come with me to meet him today?”

He gives me an bewildered looks. He is totally taken aback by what I asked him. He probably never thought that it would happen so soon, either I am.

I look down on my feet. I am just so confused and scared at the same time. I know my father. I already post-poned my moving-back-to-NY plan since 4 years ago. I supposedly to go back to New York after my college graduation but who knew that I would be in a relationship with Kai on my last year of college.

My father actually against me for dating Kai. It’s not like he is poor or something cliché like that. In fact, Kai is also a silver-spoon kid. It’s just, my father already has someone in his mind. In short, he already plans an arranged marriage for me. In business world, arranged marriage is something common. If there’s no way to merge the company in a formal way, then merge their kids is the only way.

Kai stands on his feet. I look up at him who’s smiling.

“Let’s get ready, shall we?” He says.

Now I’m the one who’s taken aback. “Are you sure?” Or I should ask that to myself because I’m not sure. Not sure if I really should meet my father and even bring Kai there. I just don’t want to make a scene. Especially not in front of Kai. I just don’t want him to know how dysfungsional my family is.

“I’m 100 percent sure. Let’s go.” He pulls me along with him to go to our room to get ready.

Right now I’m regretting for answer his call. I shouldn’t have answer the call.

 


 

We are on our way to the place my father reserved for us. It’s close from our apartment. It’s like 20 minutes drive away if the traffic is good. I can’t stop thinking about the worst case that might happen later. My hands are freezing cold. It’s not because of the weather but it shows how nervous I am right now.

I can see that the place we’re heading is right in front of us. We’re really close. I feel like my heart is about to burst.

“Don’t be nervous. I’m here, okay?” Kai throws in.

“Okay.”

Kai parks the car on the basement. No one talk. It’s a long silent. I take a glance at Kai but he shows nothing. His expression is so flat. I can’t read him at all right now. Is he nervous like I am or not? Or he’s a total ready to face this? Oh I wish I can be a face-reader.

“Hey,” He pauses, “We’re going to be fine.” 

I sigh and nod. “I know.”

“I need to see your smile first. It’s my strength.” He pleads.

My heart melts as he talks. It also makes me realize that this man right is worth be fight for. He is my everything. I don’t think I can fall in love with another man. He is the only one for me.

I smile and hug him. He breaks the hug and kisses me on my forehead. The kind of kiss that I need.

“Let’s go.” Kai slips his fingers into mine. Here we go. I can do this.

Kai never let my hands go even once as we walk inside the restaurant. He walks so confidently. He is ready to fight for me— for our love and either I am. I know we can get through this.

We are waiting for my father to come. He is a little bit late which is not so him. He never late before.

“Kai, I don’t think I can do—”

“Princess!”

I turn my head around to see my father standing on the door. Kai and I immediately stand up as I walk to my father, hugging him. And suddenly all the worries before is vanish just like that.

My father hugs me back so tight. “I miss you, kid.”

“I know.”

“Alright. Enough of the hug.” He pauses, staring at Kai. “Okay. Is this the Almighty Kim Jongin who steals my daughter from me?”

Kai awkwardly laughs and bows politely. “I’ve heard a lot about you, Sir. Nice to meet you.”

“I’m sorry If my Korean is not good. Please bear with me.” My father says.

I laugh. “Don’t worry, Dad. He is basically my Korean teacher. He will bear with your broken Korean.”

“Really? Maybe you can teach me too. Please correct me If I’m pronouncing it wrong.” My father glistens up.

“No, Sir. You are good. To be honest, you’re much better than her.” Kai says.

“Oh… I like you already.”

I don’t know what’s going on right now but all I know that is my father is very welcome of Kai’s presence. He’s not ignoring him like what I always imagined before. He likes him. I really couldn’t believe my own eyes and ears but I’m so glad. Totally glad that I decided to bring Kai today.

They are talking non-stop, totally ignoring me. It’s a good thing but come on, I’m here not because I want to be the third-wheeling between these two.

“Ha-Ha. Yes it is so funny. But hey, I’m also here.” I say.

Daddy and Kai stares at me. They both are laughing. I am taken aback with the situation. I would never thought that they would be such a bestie after their first meeting like this. It’s beyond my imagination. But for the record, I’m shock that my father isn’t talking about the company. He never bring the topic in even once. He is sitting right there, asking this and that to Kai— about his newly open start-up company and et cetera.

“So how’s work, Nara?” My father asks. There’s a hint of doubt in his voice as if he’s doubting that I have an stable job in here.

“Good.” I pause,  “No. It’s great. Everything is great. I eventually will become an editor in chief next month.” I’m trying to sound that I’m confident and how I love my current job.

A proud kind of smile spread across his face. “It’s a very good job, Nara. Keep it up, then!”

I’m lying if I say that I’m not shock— I’m shock. He is actually and finally acknowledges my job. What is going on in New York? Why is he being like this? Last time I remember, he was insulting my job as a magazine editor because he thought it’s not worth it but now he supports me?

“She really did a good job, Sir. In fact, I barely even see her on weekdays because she was just too caught up with her work.” Kai jolts in.

“I know she’ll do her best when it comes to work.”

I half-heartedly smile at my father and check the time on my wrist. We spend an hour and half already. Time passes so quickly. I nudge Kai’s arm, trying to tell him that it’s time for us to go but he is just too slow to realize everything.

As I nudge Kai’s arm for the last time, my father stares at me. I awkwardly grin at him. I think he’s the one who get my message.

My father clears his throat. “Well, I think it’s time for us to say good bye?” He says, standing up.

Kai follows my father after and walks to his side. “It is really nice to talk with you, Sir.”

“Me too. Please take care of my daughter, will you?”

“I will, Sir.”

“I know you will. You’re a good man, Jongin.”

Kai smiles at his words. His face glistens up. He is happy. Very happy.

“Okay then.” I say, walking close to them. Hook my arm with Kai’s. “I’ll see you very soon, Dad.”

My father shrugs, which seems like a yes, but he doesn’t look at me in the eye. I have this sudden shiver all over my body, fear that he has something in his mind. He loves all his daughters but if it comes to ‘our future’, he is a little evil.

As we steps out from the private room, my father is not even move an inch. I raise an eyebrow and look at him. “You’re not going?”

“I have a meeting in here later.” He says, pointing to the papers on the table.

“We’ll get going first then.” I say and then we’re leaving the scene.

He nods and waves at us. “Be careful of the snows, Kids.”

 


        

During our way back home, I couldn’t stop thinking about my father. I’m somehow glad that he didn’t bring the topic about company, New York and moving back but it’s weird for me. Why did he ask me to meet him then? I know I shouldn’t be so suspicious of my own father but come to think again, I know my father so well. The man we met earlier is not totally him. It’s like he is my father on the outside but inside is another person.

Kai holds my hand and says, “You’re worried for nothing, you know.”

“I know.”       

“Then why are you so quite?”

“I don’t know… something still bothers me.” I mumble.

Kai sighs and pulls the car to the sideway. I can feel that he is staring at me but I just too caught up with my own thought.

“Hey, look at me.” Kai pleads.

I look at him. He stares at me for a while before he smiles. “Just because he’s not the man you used to know anymore, you shouldn’t be so suspicious of him.” He pauses, “I can tell that he asked you to meet because he missed you. That’s all.” I listen hard, look hard for any about in her, any hint that he's only saying it to bolster me. But there is none. Only confidence. 

I break down in tears. I just couldn’t hold it back anymore because I miss him too. I can’t let my tears fall in front of him because I don’t want him to think that I’m not mature enough to make my own decision. But now, I’m regretting everything. I should’ve hug him longer. I should’ve said that I miss him so badly. I shouldn’t be so suspicious of him and put the wall between us.

Kai stares at me with pity. He pulls me into a hug. He calms me down by patting my back softly, telling me that it’s okay to cry. Over all, I’m still a human-being.

After a while, I calm down. Kai never slips his hand away from mine. He makes sure that I know that he will never let me go or leave me alone.

Kai breaks down the air. “Alright pretty, enough the tears. You know it’s still early to go home. How about we go your favorite café?”

“Sounds good.” I say, smiling at him.

“Off we go, again.” Cheerfully, he says.

“Dork.”

“Please check out yourself before you say that to me.” Kai says.

I pull down the mirror, checking myself out on the mirror. “Oh my God. I look so terrible. Look at my mascara is all over my face. And you call this face pretty?”

He nods and grins.

“You are such a liar.” I roll my eyes. Trying to erase all the mascara on my cheek.

“You will always look so pretty to me.”

I hit him in the arm softly and says, “Stop it! Seriously, Kim Jongin. You are such a big-sweet talker. I had enough of your sweet talk.”

Kai laughs and continues to tease me the whole drive to the café. The atmosphere throughout the way is full of love and laugh. Though it’s snowing again outside, my heart feels so warm. And it all thanks to Kai.