saudade

i'll keep your word, so shall i wait
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“longing for someone echoes back to you.”

Sooyoung scoffed at herself. It was ridiculously ironic how much those words resonated with her and the fact that the saying was quoted by the very person that made her "miserable" like this.

That damned Yook Sungjae.

The day of his enlistment, she couldn't grant his wish not to cry. She cried her heart out like there's no tomorrow. She read all the articles related to his enlistment and saving almost every picture of him from the press. Nothing could soothe her but his voice in their one last call before he had to finally enter his base.

“Sooyounga, I'm already on my way, gonna be arriving soon there.”

There was no response from the other end. Sooyoung couldn't bring herself to utter any word without breaking down into tears.

Knowing Sooyoung for five years, Sungjae didn't need to ask to grasp onto the situation. He practically could see through her. He knew she was trying to hold herself back from crying.

“Aigoo you must be crying now, aren't you? I told you not to~ who's going to wipe away those tears off now, eoh?”

His words made her cry even harder. He caught a soft sob escaping her lips, made him had to fight the urge to run back to her and comfort her with all his might which was impossible to do.

Sooyoung tried to suppress herself from crying. She didn't want to waste the limited precious time of theirs only to cry. “You need to promise me one thing. Don't get hurt and come back safely, Oppa. Don't try to show off and volunteer to carry out any extreme challenge that could worsen your back injury, get it?”

Sungjae muffled a laugh at her continuous nag, “yes, Ma'am. Your wish is my command.”

“I'm not kidding, you know. I'll kill you if you got injured,” she threaten him, trying to sound intimidating but it just sounded adorably cute to him.

“Arasseo. Same goes for you. Stop doing the ridiculous strict diet, eat healthily. Don't seduce other men when I'm not around.”

“Can't help about that, my charms are too irresistible.” she teased.

“Touché. Can't argue with that, you're too pretty to be true,” he unexpectedly quick to agree instead of pulling another stint of his typical prank like he usually does.

Sooyoung was a little bit surprised with his remark. She didn't see that coming, but it was oddly nice to hear.

“Sooyounga, you know my heart, right?”

He blurted, caught her off guard. She hasn't completely recovered from his sudden remark just earlier yet he already attacked her with another one. Her heart skipped a beat, flustered.

“Huh?” she only managed to mutter a single word, still taken aback.

She could hear a soft chuckle from the other line, “cute.” he murmured. Even though he couldn't see her face, he could imagine how her face would look like by memory.

“I'm leaving for real now,” he said as the van pull over, hindering any regret shows on his tone, afraid of making her even sadder.

Sungjae could hear Sooyoung heaved a sigh. She tried her best to keep her composure, “alright, take care of yourself, Oppa.”

“I will. Keep me updated, I'm only one message away, I'll get back to you as soon as I can.”

“Okay.”

“Try not to miss me too much, I'll be back before you know it. I—” Sungjae hesitated for a moment, contemplating whether to say it or not, “—see you soon.”

Not now. He decided to hold it back. He is going to save it for another day, when the timing is right.

Sooyoung found her lips twitching upwards, forming a smile. A genuine one. “See you soon.”

The call ended, and she already missed him.

-----

The following month surprisingly went by quickly. It wasn't so hard but it doesn't mean it was easy either. Sungjae's drama started to air right after his enlistment, that mend her longing for him a little bit as she still could see him twice a week on the screen.

Nonetheless, it still felt different because she wouldn't be able to contact him as he can't use his phone until he complete his basic military training which took five weeks.

“Tsk, why does he look so experienced in kissing?” Sooyoung retorted after watching the last episode of Sungjae's drama. A subtle hint of jealousy inadvertently grew in her heart, feeling bitter because they are not each other's first in term of kissing. Heck, they have never kissed before. She was also a bit disheartened. He has completed the basic training for days yet she hasn't heard anything back from him.

She grunted as she was about to turn off her phone when a notification popped out. Her heart dropped seeing the familiar name on her screen.

She hurriedly open the message that read, “just got a chance to check my phone. Haven't read your messages but just want you to know I've missed you.”

And her jealousy suddenly dissipated away into the thin air.

-----

Days passed, she was getting busy with her own schedule but not a day had gone by without her thinking of him. She'd regularly message him, telling how was her day going and he'd always reply even it took some time. It was okay, she was satisfied enough.

Time seemed to keep moving forward rapidly as suddenly it was already August. The celebratory month for Red Velvet because as of August the first it remarked the sixth year since their debut. Five of them was happy and beyond grateful, they never thought they would reach the point they are in at the moment. Even they couldn't perform at the stage and meet their fans as often as they used to due to the current unfortunate circumstances, and even one of their member was still in process of recovery, they're still happy. They believe better days will come and they are going to hold on that.

And to complete Sooyoung's joyful day, a call from Sungjae suddenly came in the middle of the night, just minutes before midnight. It was the first call they had in a while. Sungjae hadn't responded to any of Sooyoung's messages that day, she understood it knowing that day also the day where Sungjae got promoted to Private First Class. It must've been an exhausting day for him. But the moment he called, she immediately picked up on the first ring.

“Oh? That was fast. Aren't you going to sleep, Sooyounga?”

A sense of contentment flooding inside her body upon hearing the husky voice she has been missed. “I just don't want today to end yet,” she giddily muttered.

“Right, congratulations on Red Velvet's sixth anniversary! I listen to your songs here a lot, it gives me strength.” he earnestly professed.

“Really? Which song do you like? Which part?”

“All, I like all. The part I liked the most is any part of yours.”

Sooyoung snickered, “don't lie.”

“Why would you think I'm lying? It's true!” Sungjae defended himself, being sulky. “Aren't you a natural born flirt or something?” she teased back. Sungjae hissed, “I'm only a flirt when it comes to you.”

Sooyoung could feel her heart thumping loudly, it's beating faster as if it would jump out of its cage. He is the only one who can makes her feel things like this. “How's life there, Oppa?” she tried to change the topic, couldn't bear his cheesiness for any longer. She was afraid her frail heart couldn't take it if he's being cornier.

“Could've been better, but it's okay. Nothing I can't manage,” he plainly replied from the other line. “I'm sure you'll do just fine. Anyway, congrats on your promotion,” she congratul

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter