Rule 6: Thank You For Being Born

10 Rules
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

♫ B.A.P - Happy Birthday


 

“Love comes in the most unexpected places. In someone’s eyes you’ve never met, who wants to get to know you. In someone’s smile you can’t forget.”

Barbara Streisand


 

“UUUUUGGGGHHHHHH!!! I shouldn’t have said anything!!!” Sakura yelled as she violently ruffled her hair, thinking back to that day.


 

(Flashback)


 

“Chaeyeon-ah, why are you crying?” Sakura asked, bewildered at Chaeyeon’s sudden tears.

 

“I-I….” Chaeyeon stuttered as she slowly stumbled back, away from Sakura.

 

Sakura was confused at what was happening. Out of all the possible reactions Sakura could think of, this was the last reaction she expected from Chaeyeon.

 

“Wait, Chaeyeon. I-”

 

Before Sakura could say anything though, Chaeyeon ran off as her voice trailed off saying sorry.


 

(End of Flashback)


 

Sakura tried to look for Chaeyeon that night, but she was nowhere to be found. It was only until everyone gathered to go home that she showed up. The car ride home was definitely awkward, not to mention what happened for the rest of winter break. Chaeyeon barely looked or even talked to Sakura after that. She only spoke when she had to, like when the entire family gathered. Other than that, she stuck to Sakura’s grandma like glue. She even went back to Tokyo early, saying that something important came up and that she had to return as soon as she could.

 

“I totally messed it up. I totally ruined our friendship.” Sakura said to herself as she splayed herself on the floor of her apartment. 

 

“She’s not even talking to me now no matter how much I text or call her. It’s been like 2 weeks now and I still haven’t heard from her. What am I supposed to do?" She added, throwing a tantrum. 

 

Compared to her studies and upcoming thesis, Sakura thought this was the most stressful situation she has ever been in her entire medical school career. She had no clue what to do or what to say at this point to get Chaeyeon to talk to her again.

 

Should I just tell her to forget everything and pretend it didn’t happen? Maybe tell her it was only a joke?

 

I know I’m basically throwing my feelings out the window and pretending I don’t have feelings for her, but this silence is killing me. 

 

Sakura thought as she became frustrated.

 

I really shouldn’t have said anything. I know I said I don’t want any regrets and I’ll deal with the consequences, but this is not it. I’m starting to regret it now. If only I had kept my mouth shut, we’d probably still be hanging out and having a good time together. I wouldn’t have minded as long as she was still by my side.

 

Sakura felt so conflicted, to the point of crying as tears were welling up in her eyes, but then something suddenly snapped her out of her thoughts.

 

The sound of her phone going off made her jolt up from the floor. She quickly checked the caller ID, slightly hoping that Chaeyeon was finally calling her back, but her hopes were dashed as she saw the name of the caller.

 

Kang-chan

 

The ID read.

 

Does she know what happened between me and Chaeyeon? Is this why she’s calling me? Is she going to rub it in my face? No, she may be savage at times, but she’ll never do that to me.

 

Maybe she’s just checking up on me to see how heartbroken I am. Or maybe she actually  doesn’t know anything. Let’s just act as if nothing is wrong.

 

Sakura thought to herself as she quickly rubbed away any tears and cleared .

 

“Hello?” Sakura said, trying to act normal.

 

“Hey buddy~ Whatcha doing~ How was break~” Hyewon asked, sounding cheery and a little annoying as usual.

 

“Uh nothing much. Break was great.” Sakura replied, keeping her replies short.

 

“Did Chaeyeon enjoy it?”

“Y-Yea she did. She said she had a great time. My grandma really liked her.”

 

“That’s good I’m glad she had fun. Thanks for bringing her home with you.”

 

Good. It sounds like she doesn’t know.

 

Sakura thought.

 

“No problem. Anyway, why’d you call. You usually don’t.” Sakura quickly changed the subject, hoping Hyewon didn’t catch on to how nervous she was.

 

“Ah, right. What are you doing next week? Are you free?”

 

“Uh, just the usual studying. I’m pretty ahead with my thesis now so I’m taking it a little easy right now.” 

 

“Great!” Hyewon replied, her voice jumping two octaves.

 

“You should come over to my place next week.”

 

“Is something going on?” Sakura asked as she checked her calendar for anything important.

 

“Yea, a celebration.”

 

“Celebration? What are you celebrating?”

 

“Life!”

 

Life?

 

Sakura thought as she couldn’t think of why Hyewon would be celebrating that. It wasn’t Hyewon’s birthday yet, nor Sakura’s so who was Hyewon celebrating for? Sakura decided to be a little mischievous with her reply as she wanted to cheer herself up a bit and Hyewon’s reaction would be the best thing to help her right now.

 

“Life? Whose life are we celebrating? Did you suddenly adopt a child over winter break or something.” Sakura said with a little chuckle.

 

“Ha Ha, very funny. I didn’t adopt a child. I already have my hands full with one so I don’t need to feed another mouth right now.”

 

Sakura was surprised at Hyewon’s response.

 

Is she talking about her dog at home?

 

“Wait, are you talking about Zeze?”

 

“No. My parents are taking care of Zeze.”

 

“Then who?”

 

“Me. I’m the child.”

 

Sakura smacked her forehead, incredulous that she didn’t think of that. But even then, Hyewon hit the bull’s eye. She definitely made Sakura feel better.

 

“Thanks Kang-chan.” Sakura said with a smile.

 

“For what?” Hyewon replied, confused.

 

“Don’t mind. Just know I owe you. Anyways, are you going to tell me whose life you are celebrating?”

 

“Oh yea. It’s your favorite person.”

 

Sakura paused for a moment to think who Hyewon was talking about.

 

Favorite person?

 

It’s definitely not my celeb crush, but it has to be someone we both know whose birthday is coming up soon…

 

Sakura pondered for a while longer, but Hyewon couldn’t stand it anymore, so she quickly revealed the identity of Sakura’s favorite person.

 

“It’s Chaeyeon, babo-yah!”

 

Sakura’s face was suddenly flushed of any color as she heard Chaeyeon’s name.

 

It’s Chaeyeon’s birthday next week?

 

Sakura’s mind went blank as she didn't know what to do now that a chance to meet up with Chaeyeon had actually presented itself to her.

 

Would I make it awkward if I show up?

 

But if I don’t, it’ll look suspicious.

 

Maybe I can say that something came up and I can’t go anymore?

 

But this might be my only chance to talk to her without her running away.

 

Sakura ruffled her hair as more conflicting thoughts began to fill her mind.

 

Ugh, I have to. I can’t run from this. I need to be honest with her and if our friendship ends, I’ll just have to deal with it.

 

“Uh, hello? Kkura-yah? Are you still there?” Hyewon interrupted Sakura’s thoughts as she didn’t hear anything for a while.

 

“Uh- y-yea I’m still here. Right, it’s Chaeyeon’s birthday. I knew that.” Sakura frantically replied.

 

“Hmm okay. Just keep your schedule open next week. I’ll text you the details later.”

 

“Uh- okay.”

 

“Oh yea, it’s a surprise party for her so don’t you dare give anything away.” 

 

“I-I won’t.”

 

“Alright then, see you next week!”

 

“See-ya”

 

•~•

 

“I can’t believe that it’s the 11th already.” Sakura said to herself as she stood in front of Hyewon’s apartment, blank minded.

 

In a blink of an eye, the week was already over and it was Chaeyeon’s birthday. Sakura had been thinking about what to do and say once the day comes, but she had a feeling that whatever she planned on saying won’t work out and that she would just have to think in the moment. 

 

I’m here now. There’s nothing I can do.

 

Sakura said as she shook her head of discouraging thoughts. 

 

Let’s just focus on making this surprise party the greatest party.

 

Sakura gently slapped her cheeks before pressing the doorbell.

 

“Hai~ Chotto matte kudasai.” The voice on the other side of the door answered.

 

The door swung open and Sakura was about to walk in, but the person who opened the door made her stop in shock.

 

“Chae-Chaeyeon?” Sakura said, bewildered.

 

“No, no, no.” The girl frantically replied.

 

“You’re mistaking me for my unnie.” The girl added, before extending her hand.

 

“It’s nice to finally meet you, Sakura unnie. I’m Chaeryeong, Chaeyeon unnie’s younger sister.”

 

Sakura took Chaeryeong’s hand and slowly shook it, still in shock.

 

“Ha, you really think she’s here now considering it’s her surprise party. You must’ve lost a few brain cells over break. And you should see the look on your face right now. You look like you’ve seen a ghost.” Hyewon interrupted, popping out from behind Chaeryeong and laughing while holding her stomach.

 

Chaeryeong stood to the side to let Sakura in. She took off her shoes and walked by Hyewon, giving her the death glare and a “light” tap on her shoulder.

 

“What was taking you so long? We have a lot of work to get done, you know.” Hyewon said while rubbing her shoulder.

 

“It’s not like I’m late or anything. I’m still early.” Sakura replied.

 

“Did you have a hard time picking out something nice to wear?” Hyewon whispered as she obnoxiously nudged Sakura.

 

Sakura gave Hyewon another death glare before ignoring her. 

 

“What do we need to do right now?” Sakura asked.

 

“I can decorate the room and order some food. Can you and Chaeryeong head to the market to pick up a cake and some other items? I don’t want to send Chaeryeong out alone.”

 

“Okay.”

 

•~•

 

Sakura got ready again and left with Chaeryeong. She decided to go to HARBS Lumine Est in Shinjuku. Even though it was a bit far from Hyewon’s place, Sakura heard the cakes and pastries there were really good. The two were looking at the menu and the cakes in the display case, contemplating on which cake was the best for Chaeyeon.

 

“Which cake do you think unnie will like?” Chaeryeong asked.

 

“Hmm…” Sakura said, looking at the ingredients carefully.

 

“Chaeyeon doesn’t like sweets too much, but she does like fruit so maybe something with a lot of fruit in it?”

 

“I agree. You definitely know unnie well.” Chaeryeong replied with a bright smile.

 

Sakura smiled, feeling somewhat proud.

 

“There’s two choices we can pick from. There’s the Mille Crepe cake that’s quite popular or the Fresh Fruit Cake.” Sakura said.

 

“Let’s go with th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter