Azaleas

Isn't it a prettier way to express my feelings ?

 

One... Two... Three... It now had been three times that the same girl had walked in front of the shop, glanced at the entrance, and slowed down before walking away. Yongsun sighed, a small smile was drawn on her lips. She made her way around the counter, stepping into the flowers' kingdom, her nose taking a full blow of flagrance. She posted herself against the door frame; the evening sun was hitting her shop directly, forcing her to squint her eyes. She was searching for the girl, expecting her to walk in front of her shop at any moment.

 

« So. Are you planning on coming inside ? »

 

Yongsun's voice had caught the girl by surprise, making her take an accidental big gulp of air. She had stopped walking, now looking at Yongsun, but the latter couldn't see the girl well enough to figure out her expression and the sun was hurting her eyes. She made a move for the girl to come in and turned around.

 

Only the buzzing of the street could be heard inside the shop. Yongsun had been careful to put on double glazing to lessen the noise but with her opened door, she couldn't miss the lively street. She had thought of putting up a green wall, but the flowers inside would have missed the sunlight. Instead, she had found large wooden boxes, old drawers, and palettes, and with some help and elbow grease, she had managed to put on a pretty storefront that would cancel some of the noise, and let the sun enter the shop.

 

« How can I help you? »

 

The girl in front of Yongsun had been looking around the shop, her eyes going from the late-blooming Maehwas to the popular King Cherry Blossoms, stopping on the Canolas which were standing proudly next to the Azaleas, before going back to the early bloomed Tulips. Yongsun's finger was playing with a string, waiting for the girl to answer her.

 

« Your flowers are really pretty. »

 

Yongsun let a smile grace her lips.  Of course, her flowers were pretty, she hadn't studied botany for five years just to have a poor quality of flowers. No. She had personally chosen her suppliers, and the quality of the seeds and even watched the growth of her babies. Most of her time off was spent in flower fields, watching over the precious beauties that she would later have to separate herself from.

 

Yongsun walked to the Canolas, reaching to delicately caress a small petal from the tip of her finger. She liked their delicate yellow color, uplifting her mood every time she would enter her shop. She tend to keep the Canolas a little away from the entrance as their smell from up close was strong, yet it was subtly mixing with the other flowers' perfume when the sun was setting and the flowers were sunbathing in the last rays of sunshine.

 

« Is there any particular flower you are looking for? »

 

« Yellow Azaleas. »

 

Yongsun smiled faintly. She guided the girl to the huge buckets she was keeping the flowers in, it was a little further in the shop as it wasn't really common to offer this type of flowers. Yongsun only had a couple of buckets of those, but they were still beautiful and full-blown, they were now reaching mid-April and the Azaleas had all their time to expose their marvelous shades.

 

« Did someone insult you? »

 

« We can say that. »

 

« They must have disrespected you greatly for you to buy them those flowers. »

 

The girl nodded, her eyes now concentrating on the Azaleas, she was giving to Yongsun the ones she decided were fitting, leaving drops of water on the floor made of stone tiles. Once the size of the bouquet was to the girl's liking, Yongsun made her way to her work table where she started to form a simple yet elegant bouquet.

 

« I think flowers are a prettier way to express my feelings. »

 

Yongsun raised her head, finding the girl's eyes before going back to the bouquet.

 

« Don't you agree? It is nicer to receive a bouquet than a punch in the face. »

 

The girl laughed, throwing her head in the air. Yongsun stopped her movement, looking at the girl again. The delicate perfume of the Azaleas was tickling her nostrils but the sight of the girl laughing was more distracting. Her jet black hair was cascading down her right shoulder, giving her a distinct look, her neck was exposed, showing the bruise under her jaw. It was at this moment that Yongsun noticed the purple-ish marks on her knuckles and the little cut on her lip.

 

« Is that what happened to you? You got into a fight? »

 

The girl stopped laughing but kept a smirk on her lips. She was looking at Yongsun in the eyes for the first time, and the latter noticed the untamed fire burning in her golden iris. The sun was shining right on the girl's face, magnifying the look in her eyes.

 

« Now I am buying flowers as an apology. »

 

Yongsun looked at the Azaleas and grimaced.

 

« It doesn't look like one. »

 

The girl shrugged, and Yongsun finished the bouquet. As the girl was searching for her wallet, her student card fell on the counter. Yongsun's curious eyes immediately set themselves on the card, reading in one go the information. Ahn Hyejin. Korea University. The picture on the card showed a young woman, with a polite smile; if Yongsun had looked closely at the girl in front of her she would see some traces of her underneath.

 

« Ahn Hyejin is a beautiful name. »

 

The girl immediately looked to Yongsun who was holding the student card in her hand. She took it back and handed the money to the florist, a small frown between her eyebrows. Yongsun handed her the bouquet, with a polite smile, before letting the girl walk out of the shop, the subtle perfume of the Azaleas vanishing in the air.

 


 

« Ggomo! Is that you who made the Tulips fall? You little brat! If it weren't for Wheein I would... Ah! »

 

Yongsun crouched down, picked up the fallen Tulips, and put them back in their bucket. She went to the storage room to get something to clean up the floor, Ggomo which was laying near it ran away a the sight of Yongsun. When she made her way back into the shop, a mop in her hand and a frown on her face, she was met with...

 

« You ? »

 

...the girl from the other day, Ahn Hyejin. She was wearing the claret T-shirt of her university, along with a pad on top of her right eye, it was mostly hidden by her hair but the blow of the wind had let Yongsun the time to catch it.

 

« Your flowers were of big help. »

 

Yongsun nodded, walking to the spot where the Ggomo accident happened, Hyejin placed herself near her, a happy breeze in her steps.

 

« Azaleas are my favorite flowers. They used to be seen as a sign of caution since some of them are toxic. »

 

Yongsun gave the girl a look, she was playing with the Daffodils, pushing them - from the tips of her finger - against each other. Yongsun had just received a new arrival of Daffodils this morning and she knew they would soon be taken away by clients now that spring was starting.

 

« Do you know the legend about the Azaleas? »

 

Yongsun had finished mopping the stone floor, now making her way back to the storage room, followed by the curious student.

 

« Are you going to tell me about it? »

 

When Yongsun came back, Hyejin was sitting on her wooden work table, her bag laying on the floor beside her as she was waiting for the legend to be told. An amused smile made its way to her lips.

 

« A long time ago, an emperor, famous for his victories in battles and wars, realized that despite his success and immense power, he was incredibly lonely. His heart was suffering greatly from this feeling. One day, someone offered him a bouquet of Azaleas, the beauty of the flowers enchanted him and filled his heart with happiness, so he decided to plant the Azaleas in his garden. This way he could see them every day and feel the happiness at the sight of such beauty. Not long after those events, the emperor found the woman of his dream, bringing him more happiness than ever. Since then, people started to relate Azaleas to love, luck, sudden happiness, and passion. »

 

Ggomo had come out of his hideout, now walking timidly on the work table Hyejin was sitting on. Yongsun gave the cat a dark look before glancing at Hyejin, a single tear had fallen on her left cheek, already starting to dry. She put her hand on the girl's shoulder, catching her attention as she had been zoning out.

 

« Are Azaleas still your favorite flowers? »

 

Hyejin laughed but stopped immediately, putting her hand over her left side and wincing in pain.

 

« What happened to you? »

 

« I discovered we aren't the only two aware of the yellow Azaleas. »

 

Yongsun wanted to laugh but the visible wince on Hyejin's features stopped her. She felt sorry for the girl, she seemed like a nice kid, and yet she looked like she had been fighting people for breakfast every day. Yongsun let go of her shoulder, walking to the storage room once again, in the quest to find some ice. She came back with her treasure and found Ggomo now laying on Hyejin's lap while the latter was giving him a belly rub.

 

« I see you are getting familiar with the demon. »

 

« The demon is charming. »

 

Yongsun nodded, of course, he was charming when he wanted to. She handed the ice to Hyejin, instructing her to keep it over the bruise for a moment since she didn't seem like she wanted to leave the shop.

 

« Thank you for the ice. »

 

Yongsun barely responded, busy with the regular check of her flowers - in case they needed anything or that something was wrong. She could feel Hyejin's burning eyes following her around the shop but she didn't mind.

 

« Since you know my name. Wouldn't it be fair if I know yours too? »

 

Yongsun turned around, and wiped her hands on her apron, thinking for a bit.

 

« My name is Yongsun. »

 

Hyejin smiled, now tasting the name on her tongue before finally looking back at the woman. Her left hand was still petting Ggomo who was now asleep.

 

« Do you work here alone? Isn't it a bit lonely? »

 

« I am not alone, there is an evil cat with me, and right now you are here. Don't you have class? »

 

Hyejin let out a chuckle. Yongsun was now attending the King Cherry Blossom. Ggomo was still asleep.

 

« Not in the morning. I didn't want to be home, so I decided to go on a walk and I entered your shop. Don't you like having a company that is more than a cat? »

 

Ggomo's ears moved at Hyejin's words but the constant petting made him go back to dreamland.

 

« Maybe... It can be nice. »

 


 

« We lost... »

 

« Good evening to you too. »

 

« Unnie... »

 

Hyejin found her usual spot on the wooden work table, pushing away Yongsun's tools to fit her . She was wearing the university's sweat as the weather was becoming rather cold despite being in early May. April had been kinder.

 

« Did you fight again? »

 

« That's not the point, unnie. »

 

Yongsun sighed, already on her way to get some ice. It was usual with Hyejin, she always had a new bruise or a new cut on her when she visited the shop. Now that they were comfortable enough with each other for Hyejin to call her "unnie", Yongsun had gotten used to seeing the girl at least twice a week, crashing into her shop and using her work table as a bench.

 

Yongsun liked the student, she was a good distraction from her monotone days, and she even found herself paying for dinner for her one night. She was interested in flowers and loved when Yongsun would tell her stories about them. Ggomo liked her too, he had decided that Hyejin's lap was the coziest spot to take a nap.

 

The florist came back, setting up her first-aid kit before starting to look at the new injuries and the ones that were cicatrizing. Hyejin let her, her curious eyes never leaving Yongsun when she was attending to her bruises.

 

« If you stare too much I might combust. »

 

« I would be sad. »

 

« You know what you have to do then. »

 

« I can't look away. »

 

« Don't you think this pretty face of yours would look much nicer without all of those? »

 

Yongsun asked, pointing at the different cuts and bruises, even if most of them were fading away, there was always a new one appearing.

 

« How is your side? »

 

« Good. »

 

« And your knuckles? Is it still painful? »

 

« No. »

 

« Okay. »

 

Yongsun was packing the kit, and throwing away the used cotton, she knew Hyejin was still staring.

 

« When you take care of me like this, I feel like you are my big sister. »

 

« I know. »

 

Murmured Yongsun, a smile orning her lips without her knowing. She contemplated her hands, they were clean and white, the skin rougher at some spots because of her work. She then glanced at Hyejin's, they were slimmer, a darker shade too, she wasn't wearing any jewel and her knuckles were exhibiting different shades of red,  sometimes pulling on purple, her left hand was particularly damaged, the scars barely managing to heal themselves.

 

« You should be more careful. »

 

Hyejin didn't say anything, instead, she looked around the shop like she was searching for something or someone.

 

« Where is Ggomo? He usually comes and greets me. »

 

« He is at his owner's house, where he lives. »

 

« You aren't his mom? »

 

Yongsun winced at the idea of owning a little devil like Ggomo, she had enough to do with her flowers she couldn't add a devious cat on top of it.

 

« Who is his mom then? »

 

« A friend of mine. I keep the demon with me during the day so he isn't alone. »

 

« Isn't it rather the other way around? Ggomo keeps you company? »

 

Hyejin insisted on the "you". Yongsun raised an eyebrow at her comment, but her brain was already considering the option suggested by Hyejin. Wheein loved her little cat, passing all of his caprices, and Yongsun knew the girl would carry her cat everywhere with her if she could. To be honest, Yongsun didn't know how Wheein had met Ggomo, she just remembered coming home and seeing a cat sitting on her balcony. Ggomo had walked over from Wheein's balcony, now finding itself at Yongsun's.

 

« Maybe... »

 

« Unnie, don't overthink it. It just means your friend cares about you. »

 

Yongsun smiled, deciding she would ask Wheein about it one of these days. Hyejin wiggled her feet before jumping on the floor. A client was now entering the shop, as usual, Hyejin would let Yongsun take care of the client by looking at the flowers around her.

 


 

« Pink Camellias? Are you missing someone? »

 

« You know I am about to close right? »

 

« Isn't the season over? Camellias stop blooming in April. »

 

Hyejin's curious fingers were playing with the petals of the King Cherry Blossoms standing near the work table. As usual, she would push them around before finally picking one up and burying her nose in it, they were the last ones of the season and won't come back before next April.

 

« They were imported. »

 

« Who are you planning to gift them to? »

 

« This is a secret. »

 

Hyejin chuckled on the side. Yongsun finished her bouquet, inspecting it one more time to be sure it was perfect.

 

« I am now going to close the shop. »

Hyejin nodded, following Yongsun around to help her with the closing. She would help move the flowers inside, clean up the wooden work table, and put Yongsun's tools in their place before waiting outside for the florist to lock the door and put down the wire rack. Hyejin was holding the bouquet of pink Camellias, wondering who was the one Yongsun was going to give them to.

 

« Do you want to eat with me? »

 

« Is this a date? »

 

Yongsun took back the flowers from Hyejin's hands and started walking, immediately followed by the girl.

 

« What do you want to eat? Maybe we could go grill some meat? »

 

« You are my dream girl. »

 

Yongsun only rolled her eyes, but Hyejin was laughing at her joke, a happy breeze in her steps as usual when she was in the company of Yongsun. They walked in silence, but the florist was hyper-aware of the happiness on Hyejin's features. They finally arrived at the restaurant Yongsun was a regular. They sat down facing each other, the Camellias on Yongsun's lap. She wanted to keep them away from the heat of the grill as much as possible. The waiter used to Yongsun and her flowers and brought her a large vase for the woman to put her precious Camellias in.

 

« Do you regularly go eat with your flowers? »

 

« Are you jealous I may have gone on dates with them more often than with you? »

 

« No. I was just asking. »

 

They quickly ordered, and Hyejin salivated at the sight of her favorite side dishes being brought. Yongsun told her to stop being so impatient when the meat took a moment to come in and was faced with crocodile tears gathering up in the girl's eyes. But the second the meat was served, there was no longer any complaint from Hyejin, only chewing the food and her hand filling up the chewing mouth without a stop, like a well-greased engine in action.

 

« I didn't realize you were starving. »

 

Hyejin only nodded.

 

« The food isn't going anywhere. Don't you want some kimchi? »

 

An immediate shake of the head to say "No".

 

« It's delicious. What do you have against it? »

 

Hyejin frowned as a response and Yongsun let it go, putting the piece of kimchi in , followed by some rice. Once they were full, she offered to accompany Hyejin back to her place as it was already late. They hadn't drunk anything despite being Saturday night, Yongsun was a light drinker and preferred not to consume alcohol out of familiar places.

 

« I am going to pay and then we will go. Okay? »

 

Hyejin nodded, her eyes concentrating on the Camellias who had been bathing in the water-filled crystal vase while they were eating.

 

Yongsun was quick to come back, except she wasn't alone. A girl, with a dimpled smile and the same mischievous look in her eyes as Ggomo, was clinging to Yongsun's arm. Hyejin raised an eyebrow in the direction of Yongsun, the woman gave her a comforting smile in response.

 

« Hyejin, this is Wheein, Ggomo's mom. And Wheein this is Hyejin, my... friend. »

 

Hyejin nodded, bowing her head to the other girl as a greeting.

 

« I was telling Yong unnie we could go to my place to finish the night, it is still early. Do you want to come, Hyejin-ssi? »

 


 

« Why the pink Camellias? »

 

Hyejin whispered into Yongsun's ear the question was still bothering her. Yongsun threw her head on the couch, a bit dazed from the beer she had drunk, Hyejin was sitting right next to her, waiting for her answer. Wheein had fallen asleep on the carpet, her hand still inside a bag of onion rings.

 

Hyejin had followed the two, celebrating the end of the week with the perfect stranger that Wheein was, and Yongsun. Wheein had been delighted to see the flowers Yongsun had brought her and had spent a whole minute admiring their colors before starting to drink beers. She had wanted to know more about Hyejin but the effect of the alcohol had started to get the best of her, making her slur her words and becoming clingy over the other two women. She had been drinking before meeting them as she had been invited to a company dinner earlier. Now she was sound asleep.

 

« The pink ones are a representation of the desire to be with a loved one, it can also mean nostalgia. But the most beautiful and deepest meaning is the greatness of the soul. Meaning she is someone who knows her valor and how to use it fairly. Maybe it can be seen as a mark of support to the person she is becoming... I think I also miss the time it was easier and I could spend more time with her. But as time passes and as we both grow toward the person we want to be, it is normal to feel this way. I am just glad to have Wheein around me. »

 

Yongsun raised her head, looking at Hyejin's eyes and noticing the deep thinking happening inside.

 

« Don't you think it is a prettier way to express my feelings? »

 

Hyejin's eyes perked up, making Yongsun giggle. Hyejin didn't move, nor laugh with Yongsun, instead, she stared longly at the woman, something unreadable in her eyes.

 

« Are you okay? »

 

The girl nodded, but Yongsun still felt like something was going on. It surprised her when she felt Hyejin's arms around her waist, bringing them the closest they have ever been to each other. The girl hid her head in the crook of Yongsun's neck, her breathing tickling the exposed skin. Yongsun took a minute before wrapping her arms around Hyejin, bringing the girl even closer. She started to caress her hair, soothing the girl.

 

A few minutes later, Ggomo who had been sleeping in Wheein's room the whole time the trio had been here, finally entered the living room, making his way to Hyejin. He didn't even acknowledge Wheein passed out body, directly coming for Hyejin, and rubbed his tiny head against her legs.

 

« I think someone wants to talk to you. »

 

Hyejin let go of Yongsun, sitting back into her position - just a little closer to Yongsun - and Ggomo immediately went on her lap. His purring became louder as Hyejin was gently petting his head and scratching behind his ears. The cat was completely drunk in attention, purring as loudly as he possibly could.

 

« I never thought this demon could be nice. »

 

« If you stopped calling him a demon, maybe he would like you too. »

 

« You are too whipped to see the truth. »

 

Hyejin giggled at those words, and Ggomo gave her a look before going back to purring loudly. Yongsun let her head fall back on the couch and exhaled deeply. The fresh air from the opened window was welcomed as she was starting to suffocate from the loud thoughts inside her head. A timid hand found its way inside hers and she let Hyejin intertwine their fingers.

 


 

« Ggomo look what a nice lady gave me when she saw a picture of you. It looks yummy, doesn't it? »

 

Hyejin crouched down under the work table, already feeding Ggomo the snack. Yongsun was busy changing the water of the Hydrangeas which were exposed in front of the shop. It was a bit tiring but she was used to the chore and would take the opportunity to check the disposition of the storefront. Spring was coming to an end and summer was soon to greet the country with hot temperatures and new flowers. Yongsun was impatient to see her Carnations finally bloom. As usual, they were late and would surely come to life right before summer.

 

« Do you need help, unnie? »

 

« Aren't you here for Ggomo? »

 

« Unnie... I was just greeting him because I was scared the snack would melt. »

 

« It's fish. »

 

« I wanted to see you too. »

 

Yongsun nodded, and went back to her flowers, while Hyejin was waiting for the florist to come back inside where the air was fresher. Late spring was exceptionally hot, making people feel dizzy when they didn't drink enough. Hyejin was especially feeling it at University when she had to go from one building to the other. But now, as the sun had finally decided to go down the weather was a little more enjoyable.

 

« I have something to ask you. »

 

« If you want to take Ggomo home with you, I am sorry but Wheein won't let you. »

 

Hyejin sighed, amused by the answer. Yongsun was giving her back to the girl and couldn't see the nervosity in her eyes nor the way she was playing with Ggomo's fur around her fingers.

 

« I wanted to ask you if... you would like to go to the Han river with me... tonight? »

 

Yongsun turned around, but her mind was focused on something else, as she was coming back to the work table with a computer. The screen was reflecting on her glasses and the sight of it surprised Hyejin, making her lose her composure.

 

« You wear glasses? »

 

« Can you put the "Closed" sign on the door, please? I just need to check that and I am all yours. »

 

It took an unusual amount of time to put on a sign on a door but Yongsun didn't notice, focused on the schedule displayed on the screen. As the summer holidays were approaching, she would have to close the store and attend a few meetings. For her, summer was the busiest season, needing constant scheduling to maintain some order in her business and her life. The nervousness of Hyejin wasn't even any of Yongsun's concerns at this moment as her mind was trying to figure out the amount of work she would have to organize to have everything running smoothly.

 

« I am done. »

 

Yongsun closed the computer, quickly putting it back in its place before focusing her entire attention on Hyejin.

 

« So what did you want to ask me? »

 

« I wanted to ask you if... you would like to go to the Han river with me tonight, but if you are busy it is fine. I understand, you have a job after all, and- »

 

Hyejin stopped mid-sentence when she felt Yongsun's hand on hers. The woman intertwined their fingers, caressing with her thumb the smooth skin, Hyejin's knuckle had healed, there was no sign of injuries anymore.

 

« I would like to go to the Han river with you. Should we go now? »

 

Hyejin nodded, but neither of them made a move to start cleaning the shop. Yongsun was observing the sudden redness on Hyejin's cheeks, wondering why the student was out of character.

 

Fifteen minutes later, the shop was closed and they were on their way to the Han river, but they had to drop off Ggomo at Wheein's place before going anywhere. They had decided to take a cab as it was easier this way, and now they were at a convenience store buying something drinks, and snacks. They had already ordered some chicken, but Hyejin wanted some Ramyeon too.

 

« It's a lot of food. »

 

Yongsun commented but Hyejin's only response was to pull out her tongue in a childish manner. They found a spot on the grass where there weren't too many people, and they started the night with a beer. Except Yongsun had a juice in a can instead of a beer.

 

« How is your year going? »

 

« Suddenly? »

 

Yongsun shrugged.

 

« The semester is ending in two months. So I will be able to rest for a bit. I guess it is going well, I am passing all my classes so far, and I even have time for myself. »

 

Yongsun nodded, taking in the information Hyejin was giving her. She didn't notice the single tear falling from Hyejin's right eye as she was talking. The chicken arrived soon after and they celebrated with a shot of soju. Yongsun didn't like the taste but still, she didn't complain about it. The chicken was delicious, and the second shot of soju barely hurt , instead, she only felt the warmth of the alcohol. Yongsun could feel the alcohol taking over her mind and suddenly she felt freer, and a bit dizzy.

 

« Unnie! Be careful, you almost dropped your juice. »

 

They both laughed, Yongsun bringing Hyejin down with her on the mat. She had closed her eyes, the laughing getting louder and her breath shorter. Yongsun ended up coughing, Hyejin tried to make her sit up to breathe properly but the woman wasn't making any effort. Yongsun was laying on the mat, spread out all over it, while Hyejin was sitting next to her, trying to clean up the food and the drinks so they wouldn't get their clothes dirty while laying down.

 

« Hyejinie! Lay next to me, the stars are sparkling! »

 

« Unnie! Keep it down a bit, everyone is looking at us. »

 

Yongsun pulled on Hyejin's arm for the girl to come closer. They were now laying next to each other, looking at the sky but the stars were rare. Yongsun's hand had found Hyejin's and she was holding it next to her chest.

 

« Unnie? Are you okay? »

 

They turned toward each other, their nose almost touching from how close they were. Yongsun's eyes opened fully to see Hyejin's face better. She suddenly smiled, making Hyejin smile too.

 

« You look pretty like this. »

 

Yongsun couldn't see the obvious blush on Hyejin's cheeks. Instead, she raised her hand, delicately putting Hyejin's hair behind her hair in a careful movement.

 

« Your scars are gone and only your pretty self is showing now. »

 

It sounded like a secret but because of the alcohol in her system, her voice was higher than she thought.

 

« You are so delicate, and graceful. You always touch the flowers with ultimate care even when you are bored and play with them as a distraction. You remind me of Camellias, the red ones. Some people refer to them as "a flame in the heart" and I think it is a perfect feat for you. »

 

Hyejin wasn't talking, her eyes were looking deeply into Yongsun's, and the woman was giving her the same look. The silence was enveloping them, Yongsun wasn't sure where she was exactly but she didn't care, all her attention was on Hyejin. Hyejin and the warmth from the way the girl was caressing the back of her hand with her thumb. It was nice.

 


 

« Are you alone? »

 

« As you can see. »

 

Wheein hummed to herself, walking around the shop, her eyes curiously inspecting the flowers. Yongsun was watching her from the counter, waiting for the reveal of her visit. Wheein was wearing her signature artist look, baggy clothes, and a cap that covered well enough her identity, she tend to do that when she was in her phase of thinking about a big project. Wheein was still a student, except she was working at the same time, taking her classes online, and only coming to the university to pass them. She had already made a name for herself as a painter but she was aiming for more, even if Yongsun never really quite figured out what this "more" meant.

 

« Does this flower business of yours work well? »

 

« Are you planning on becoming my partner? »

 

« I saw Hyejin the other day. She was visiting another flower shop. »

 

« Did you greet her? »

 

« No. »

 

« Will you now tell me why you are here? »

 

Wheein took off her cap, letting her dark hair fall over her shoulders. Yongsun realized she was surely going to meet someone after as she was wearing a nice outfit, paired with gold jewels. She smiled at the idea, it has been a while since Wheein had been dating and Yongsun thought it was good that she felt good enough to put herself out there again.

 

« I want you to take care of Ggomo for me. »

 

« I do that every day and he hates me. »

 

« I am going to be out of town for a few days and I can't take him with me... I know how much he enjoys your company, so it wouldn't be a problem, right? »

 

« Are you listening? »

 

« I am glad you agreed. »

 

« Jung Wheein. »

 

« Unnie. Thank you again for the Camellias. »

 

Wheein's eyes had changed, the wave of passion softening to let Yongsun in.

 

« I needed it. »

 

Yongsun walked from behind the counter, and Wheein immediately ran into the woman's arms. Yongsun felt her heart slow down as she was gently caressing the girl's hair. Since she was a few centimeters taller than Wheein, she easily put her cheek above the girl's head and brought her closer. Mixed feelings were clashing inside her heart, the warmth of the moment, but also the nostalgia of meeting a Wheein she thought had disappeared, on the other side, the realization that Wheein the little girl she had met years ago had grown, becoming a beautiful and independent woman. As she had been Wheein's unnie for so long, she felt melancholic and proud.

 

« You know, we should sit down and talk together when I come back. »

 

« I know for Ggomo. »

 

« I guess I wasn't as subtle as I thought I was. »

 

Wheein tightened her arms around Yongsun's waist. Yongsun didn't know why it suddenly felt so difficult to let go. Maybe they were saying goodbye to a part of their life as they were both growing up.

 

Wheein finally let go. Taking a step away from the florist.

 

« Take good care of Ggomo. He is a nice boy. »

 

As Wheein was on the point of stepping out of the shop, she turned around with a mischievous sparkle in her eyes.

 

« I left you something. Take good care of it too. »

 

« What? »

 

But the girl was gone, waving goodbye one last time to Yongsun from outside the shop.

 


 

« You have already closed the shop? »

 

« Good evening to you too. »

 

« Ggomo is with you. Do you want me to carry him? »

 

Hyejin had already taken the carrier away from Yongsun's hands, raising it to eye level so she could greet the cat with a smile. She was oozing off energy and Yongsun was too tired to figure out the reason. She simply started walking in direction of her apartment, followed by Hyejin. Wheein's visit to the shop kept on replaying in her head, draining her energy as she had been concerned for the girl ever since.

 

Yongsun was finally in front of her door, now taping the code into the lock and finally being home. Everything was as she had left it in the morning, except for the huge thing on her kitchen table. She put down her bag, still followed by a curious Hyejin, and walked to the table. It was for sure a canvas, covered by a cardboard paper and the whole thing was held by a string. It was so Wheein to pack things like 7 years old, but Yongsun couldn't be mad at the girl's antics. She got rid of the string and peeled off the paper, revealing a canvas painted by Wheein. She knew the girl's logo, a bird soaring. It was a stamp she had made, she would get it in green ink and put it on the bottom left of her canvas.

 

« A Hydrangea... »

 

« A white Hydrangea. »

 

Yongsun's soft voice specified. Hydrangeas' common meaning was sincere and honest emotions of any type. In the language of flowers, Hydrangeas meant heartfelt emotions. It could also mean gratitude. Except Wheein did not choose any color of Hydrangeas. She chose a white one. A unique big white Hydrangea, taking all the space on the canvas, leaving no room for another flower.

 

« What does it mean? »

 

Yongsun softly touched the flower, letting her fingers feel the softness of each brushstroke. It was so delicate, that the flower was even fading away on some parts of the canvas. Yongsun's fingers finish their course on Wheein's logo. She sighed, closing her eyes before opening them again, the canvas was still here, unchanged.

 

« Nothing you don't already know. »

 

Hyejin took a step back, Yongsun looked at her longly, catching the cardinal red filing her cheeks, her eyes were no longer looking at Yongsun.

 

« How did you know Wheein's feelings about me? »

 

Hyejin raised her head, looking at Yongsun right in the eyes, the burning fire inside of them took the florist by surprise. They held each other gaze, none of them daring to make the first move nor say the first word. Until Ggomo meowed from the carrier he was still trapped in. Hyejin rushed to let him out, and the cat immediately ran away, leaving the room filled with tension.

 

« It doesn't matter. »

 

Yongsun took the canvas with her, walking to her room and placing it against her bed before coming back to the living room. Hyejin was still in the kitchen, like a frozen figure. Yongsun went to the girl and brought her over to the living room, sat her down on the carpet, and took both of her hands in hers.

 

« Are you fighting again? »

 

Hyejin's knuckles were raw, signed she had been punching something or someone. Her slender fingers no longer healed. Yongsun looked more carefully at her face and realized she had a bruise on her right temple. She tried to reach for it and examine it from up close but Hyejin suddenly pushed herself between Yongsun's arms, her arms wrapping themselves around the woman's waist and her head burring itself in her neck. The sudden action had too much strength, making Yongsun lose her balance, she fell to the carpet, Hyejin following her.

 

They stayed on the carpet, Yongsun holding Hyejin against herself and delicately rubbing her back. Even Ggomo didn't dare on bothering the two, instead, he lay down on the couch, watching over them.

 


 

« Did you decide on being mean to me today because you are missing your mom? You know how bad you are being right now? Really bad. Come back here! Ggomo! »

 

« Ggomo! »

 

Yongsun turned around with a bouquet of Cornus in one hand and one of the Lilies in the other. Iris were laying in a puddle of water just at her foot and a frown was formed by her two eyebrows reaching toward the other from her obvious dissatisfaction. Wheein on the other hand was giggling from the spectacle.

 

« Your cat is no longer welcomed in my shop. »

 

« Unnie... »

 

Wheein helped the woman with her flowers, cleaning the mess in a few seconds. Yongsun was no longer frowning but she was giving dark looks in Ggomo's direction, not that the cat felt any of the threat coming from Yongsun worthy of his attention.

 

« Can I offer you lunch? It is almost noon. Aren't you hungry? »

 

« Sure. »

 

They both exited the store, Yongsun locking the door on her way out. Ggomo was in his carrier, and Wheein wanted her cat to eat with them. The girl chose a restaurant where it was possible to eat outside and they both sat down at a table in the shades where they could enjoy the weather without getting burned by the sun. Wheein seemed excited, immediately telling Yongsun about the days she had spent out of town. She had traveled to Jeju Island, with a friend of hers they had even rented a boat and had spent a fantastic time in the water.

 

Yongsun was happy her friend finally had the chance to enjoy some time for herself. She seemed refreshed and happier. The sparkle in her eyes was brighter, her smile bigger, Yongsun found herself smiling too.

 

« Before I left, I told you we should take some time to talk together. I think now would be a good opportunity. »

 

Yongsun was listening while eating a piece of her Kimchi Bibim Guksu, finding strength in the spiciness of the dish.

 

« You saw the canvas I left at your apartment. To be honest, I wasn't sure of how you would react. I knew you wouldn't want to talk about it over the phone, so I did it on purpose. »

 

Wheein was battling with her Memil Guksu, dropping noodles on the table. She finally decided to put down her chopsticks and looked at Yongsun in the eyes.

 

« I... You were the first person I have ever loved. And I think I will always love you like this in a way. ... I know my feelings aren't returned and... To be honest, it took me the longest time to get over it. I think I always wished you would one day realize I was just here in front of you. I think... I didn't know how to show you I was more than just Jung Wheein. I was someone you could also rely on, and someone who could be here for you, more than just the little Jung Wheein. This time never came. »

 

Wheein's words hit a string deep inside Yongsun's heart, making tears gather inside her eyes. She reached for a tissue, leaving her chopstick in the bowl as she was trying to catch the tears before they start to roll down her cheeks. Wheein already had traces of her feelings on her cheeks.

 

« Now, I am okay with it. I mean, I understand you will never love me this way and it is fine. It is fine because I am already happy knowing you are here. Always. I want you to know that... you were my first love. And you will always be someone dear to my heart. »

 

Wheein sighed. Yongsun had tears rolling down her cheeks, but her eyes weren't leaving Wheein.

 

« We are both so awful at saying our feelings out loud. I don't know what you are thinking, but I hope you don't feel guilty or bad about yourself. Unnie, I- »

 

« You are a wonderful person. »

 

Wheein stopped talking, Yongsun had put her hand over hers in a determined manner. She took a deep breath before speaking again.

 

« I never thought less of you. You being Jung Wheein has always been enough for me. I love you as you are. Unfortunately... I do not return your feelings. I wish I could have been clearer for you not to suffer so much. »

 

Wheein let out a small smile, making Yongsun smile too. She knew the girl was finding funny the way she was expressing herself. She had told her one time how she was always so serious when it came to feelings; surely because she was so bad at it, she tried to go straight to the point when she was explaining herself.

 

« I love you Wheein. You know that right? What would I do without you? »

 

Wheein chuckled, drying her teary eyes with her napkin. After those words, Yongsun decided to lead the conversation toward something lighter, telling Wheein about the many trumperies Ggomo had done during her time away. Wheein laughed greatly at the fake distress in Yongsun's voice as she was explaining the incidents. They finished their lunch with a comfortable feeling. Wheein walked Yongsun back to the shop.

 

« You know, anyone would be lucky to date you. »

 

Yongsun inspected Wheein's face for any sign of malice.

 

« Do you happen to have anyone in mind? »

 

« Maybe? A certain student... »

 

Yongsun frowned, uncertain whether Wheein was indeed referring to the person she was thinking of.

 

« Even Ggomo loves her. What are you waiting for? Don't you want to give it a shot? »

 

« Is it why you suddenly gave me this canvas? »

 

« You have all your chances. »

 

« You asked me for Hydrangeas last year when you were doing your flowers study for a school project. »

 

« Come on. »

 

« Why didn't you tell me back then? »

 

« Because I was still hoping! I was still hoping you would realize. »

 

« You gave it to me because you wanted me to... »

 

« You were so miserable before her! You were only living for your job. You didn't even have any time for your friends... For your family or the people who care about you. »

 

« I wasn't- »

 

« Please don't take it like that. I did it because I love you and you deserve to be happy, and so do I. »

 


 

« Hello, Ggomo. Are you enjoying the sun? It's quite refreshing, isn't it? »

 

Hyejin had entered the flower shop, bearing a bouquet in her left hand, but she was now crouching near Ggomo, giving him scratches behind his ears. Yongsun busy with a client had already seen from the corner of her eyes the girl and her bouquet but she had to finish before asking her what was she thinking about entering a flower shop with a bouquet not coming from her shop.

 

It took half an hour for Yongsun's client to make a choice on which flower he was going to offer his wife. Yongsun had told him to simply go with the Korean Rose as it was the season and it would also show his understanding and want to connect with his wife as a non-Korean but the man was stubborn and he had to make Yongsun explain to him each flower. Now, that he was gone, she discreetly turned around the sign on the door and walked to where Hyejin was, on her work table, sitting with her feet in the air.

 

« Who brings flowers to a flower shop? »

 

« I passed my semester! »

 

« Congratulations ! »

 

Hyejin's smile was already reaching her eyes, but Yongsun knew the reason was beyond the news she had just told her. Nonetheless, she came to Hyejin, giving her a warm hug, and the girl immediately wrapped herself around the florist.

 

« Unnie... I have something to say. »

 

Yongsun took a step back to see fully Hyejin, from the tone of her voice, it seemed important. Hyejin had all of her attention.

 

« I went to see my family in Jeonju. We celebrated together my semester and I also took the chance to walk around... to think. And... I thought about you a lot. »

 

Yongsun smiled, she had indeed received the many bouquets of Gladiolus, most the yellow and a couple had been pink. She had kept all of them, and her apartment was crumbling under the many vases she had put everywhere. Surprisingly, Ggomo hadn't touched any of the bouquets and Yongsun was suspecting the cat of knowing the identity of the sender. Even Wheein who had visited Yongsun's place during the Gladiolus invasion laughed to her heart content. She had then said something about the urge of taking a step before leaving the apartment with a mischievous smile.

 

« I received all of your flowers. They were really pretty. »

 

« A friend of my father cultivate them. I thought it was a prettier way to express my feelings. »

 

« You've pierced my heart. Are those the words you were searching for? »

 

« ... Maybe? »

 

They both smiled at the other, cardinal red growing on their cheeks. Ggomo had jumped on the counter, sitting down while he was watching the two.

 

« I have another bouquet for you. »

 

« As a florist, I never thought I would be offered so many flowers. »

 

Hyejin was playing with the string of the bouquet, but Yongsun's words made her look up to the woman, her confidence coming back to her.

 

« Those are Azaleas. White Azaleas. »

 

« They are your favorite flowers. »

 

« They are... But these Azaleas are particular. »

 

Yongsun was now standing between Hyejin's legs, only a bouquet of Azaleas between them. Their witness was deeply contrasting with Hyejin's golden skin, the florist noticed how her hands had healed over July, now it was only smooth and tanned skin wrapped around the green rods. The Azaleas' delicate smell was tickling Yongsun's nostrils but Hyejin's sparkling eyes had all her attention.

 

« I know it is usually common to offer them to your new love as a sign of incredible passion and pure romance... but... I wanted to offer them to you, as a hope for a pure passion and an incredible romance. »

 

Yongsun took the bouquet, longly looking at it. Azaleas, how funny. She gently put it down next to Hyejin, the girl was looking at her with hope, and Yongsun couldn't help the little pinching sensation on her heart.

 

« May I offer you a response? »

 

Hyejin nodded quickly. Yongsun used the work table to match Hyejin's height, she leaned forward her lips softly laying a kiss on Hyejin's. It lasted only a few seconds, but the sensation would last forever. Hyejin still had her eyes closed, Yongsun a shade redder as she had kissed the girl... She had finally kissed the girl she liked.

 

« Can you do it again? »

 

Yongsun smiled, already leaning to kiss the soft lips a second time. Maybe, after all, it was nice.

 


 

- The different flowers meaning - (some of them are already explained but I will do a little resume here)

(White) Azaleas : Indescribable passion. Pure romance.

(Yellow) Azaleas: Symbol of hypocrisy and lies; People used to send those to people who had insulted or disrespected them.

(Pink) Camellias: Desire to be with a loved one. Nostalgia. The greatness of the soul.

(Red) Camellias: Unconditional love, passion, and desire. Sign of recognition.

Cherry Blossom: Purity. Beauty.

Daffodils: Selfishness. They are also seen as the heralds of spring. Hope for a change.

Gladiolus : Admiration.

(Pink) Gladolius : Luck.

(White) Hydrangeas: First love. The beginning of new love. 

Korean Rose: Eternity. Humanity. Justice. Knowledge. Integrity.