Chapter 7

Secret Love

The following days after school, Zelo was stuck in the dorm with a still very sick Yongguk. Himchan had given him a new list of chores to complete by the time he had gotten home from the studio. Yongguk was still tucked in on the couch, refusing to go back into the bedroom and also being asleep the majority of the time.

Zelo was preparing a warm cup of tea for Yongguk to help with his cough; it had become a small routine for them and one where Yongguk would be civil for the duration of his cup. Zelo would talk about school, side-step the Zico subject, and then they would talk about what was on the TV until Yongguk fell back asleep.

“Is it too hot?” He asked watching Yongguk stare at his cup and then go back to watching the TV. Yongguk shook his head and started to sip his tea.

“Ani, it’s perfect.” He said after awhile. Zelo smiled and settled on the floor next to the couch.

“Did Himchan leave you with chores to do?”

“Ne.” Zelo said quietly, hoping Yongguk wouldn’t send him away so quickly. “I got most of it done; I just have a few more things to do.”

Yongguk nodded and continued to sip his tea, “you should go ahead and take a break. Here’s the remote, find something.”

Zelo smiled and took the remote, hoping to find something that would interest Yongguk, at least get him to visit some more. Himchan had told him though that Yongguk needed his rest the most. He finally settled on a war movie and slipped the remote back onto the couch. When Yongguk finished his tea, he set his mug on the floor next to Zelo. He settled back into his pillow and fell back asleep.

Zelo grabbed the cup and took it back to the kitchen. He finished scrubbing the kitchen and started the laundry. He washed all of Yongguk’s bedding and got it ready, even though he kind of knew Yongguk no longer wanted to be in their bedroom.

At school, Zico was a well enjoyed distraction as they worked on their collaboration. They were given permission to use the recording studio in the school and spent their time holed in the small room. Zelo was reading the new lines Zico had written for him, while Zico pressed a trail of kisses down the back of his neck. Zelo laughed softly and pushed Zico away lightly.

“Hyung, I’m trying to learn these new lines.” Zelo grabbed his cheeks and squeezed before he kissed him tenderly. Zico nodded and kissed Zelo’s forehead roughly.

“So are you still grounded?” Zico asked messing with the soundboard.

“Nope. Yesterday was my last day, I’m a free man.” Zelo rested his chin on his hand. Zico whooped and smiled brightly.

“So are you going to come over today?” Zico asked adjusted the levels to start recording.

“Ah! Himchan has been working these past few afternoons…” Zelo glanced at his phone and thought about asking for permission.

“So? If he’s working, what does that have to do with you?” Zico asked with an arched brow.

“Yongguk is still really weak and Himchannie doesn’t like leaving him by himself.” Zelo responded looking at his hands. “He needs help moving around sometimes.”

“And does he let you help him?” Zico asked slipping his headphones on. Zelo sighed and grabbed his lyrics before he headed into the booth. He pulled on his headphones and turned to face Zico.

“He doesn’t even like Himchan to help him, but Himchan does.”

They began recording together, pausing so often for some critique and adjusting. While Zico was recording his lines, he noticed Zelo was distracted by his cell phone. His brows were furrowed as he was texting someone. He tried to ignore it, but when he stepped out of the booth and started to work on the lines – Zelo was still messing with his phone.

“Is something wrong?” Zico asked finally. He dropped his pen on the table, “Do you need to go home or something?”

Zelo looked up from his phone quickly, “No – I’m sorry, Zico. Himchan was just telling me that Yongguk’s fever has been spiking today. He slipped in the shower, but he’s okay. Himchan has him on fever reducers.”

“And he wants you to go home?” Zico asked with an arched brow.

“No, but he thinks if Yongguk’s fever doesn’t go back down – he’s going to have to go back to the hospital.” Zelo put his phone away and rubbed his temples. “I’m sorry Zico, I haven’t been the greatest boyfriend. I’ve just been so preoccupied with being grounded and Yongguk being so sick.”

Zico’s expression softened and he rubbed Zelo’s back softly.

“Zelo, you’re a great boyfriend. Don’t worry about it, I still love you.” He pulled Zelo closer to him and lifted Zelo’s chin with his free hand. “I mean it, I love you, Zelo.” He pressed a tender kiss onto Zelo’s lips and rubbed their noses together.

Zelo blushed brightly and wrapped his arms around Zico’s shoulders to pull him closer.

Back at the dorm, Himchan was gently applying an ice pack to Yongguk’s temple. He winced and gripped Himchan’s hand from pressing too hard. Himchan laughed a little and let Yongguk take over holding it.

“I told you to let me help you.” He plugged in a hair dryer and started to blow dry Yongguk’s hair, combing his fingers through it. He blew some hot air into Yongguk’s shirt to help dry him off.

“I’m already burning up, why are you throwing more heat on me?” Yongguk asked removing his ice pack gingerly.

“You should’ve just slept with us. We could’ve shared the warmth.” Himchan gathered Yongguk’s bangs together before he clipped them back with a little red alligator clip. He gave Yongguk’s earlobes a quick squeeze and frowned.

“I can’t make your fever go down.” Himchan sighed and was about to step in the kitchen, when Yongguk grabbed his arm.

“Wait, Himchan.”

Himchan paused, “Ne?”

Yongguk pulled him back to where Himchan was standing in front of him, his hands remaining on Himchan’s arms.

“Do you like me?”

“Of course, I like you.” Himchan smiled brightly.

“No, I mean do you have feelings for me?”

Himchan stared at him, dumbfounded.

“I’m asking because for someone who was so concerned about the group – you haven’t tried fixing anything between Zelo and me.”

Himchan smiled weakly and shrugged, “You caught me.”

Yongguk let his hands slide down Himchan’s arms and grabbed his hands, “Why didn’t you say anything? Why didn’t you just tell me?”

Himchan held Yongguk’s hand tightly and lifted it to his lips before he pressed a small kiss onto his palm, “I didn’t say anything because in the back of my mind I kind of knew you couldn’t feel about me the way you feel for Zelo. I’ve been slow to fix things because… because as long as you’re not together, I’m not completely casted aside.”

Yongguk stood up and pulled Himchan into his arms. He held him closely while Himchan hugged him tightly.

“I’m sorry Himchan, I don’t feel the same way.” He his hair softly and whispered into his ear. Himchan nodded and pressed a kiss onto the base of Yongguk’s neck.

“I know. I’ve always known. You don’t have to apologize for anything. I’m the one who should be begging for forgiveness.” Himchan pulled away and wiped his eyes quickly. “So will you please forgive me and go lay down in your bed? Zelo will be home soon and your fever isn’t dropping.”

“Himchan…” Yongguk reached for his face and wiped a few stray tears. He took a step forward and leaned in to kiss Himchan, but was denied by Himchan’s hand.

“Please, don’t – don’t rip it out for me.”

Yongguk nodded and pressed a tender kiss to Himchan’s forehead, before he walked back to their bedroom. Himchan bit his knuckle and cleared his throat, before he wiped the tears away and got ready to go to work. He called Zelo before he stepped out, “Please come home right after school.”

Zelo had to push Zico away to answer his phone, “Ne ne, I’ll keep an eye on him. I’ll be home soon.”

He hung up and sighed, “Himchan wants me home right after school.”

“I thought you were a free man.” Zico commented, his lips and panting slightly.

“I am! But I’ve already told you, Yongguk is still really sick.” He smiled shyly and stole a quick kiss, “Besides Himchan’s job is almost over. Then we can be together more often.”  

“Good! I don’t just want to see you at school or when we’re working on this.” Zico gestured toward the papers on the table. “Can I get you on the weekends?”

“We’ll see.” Zelo laughed and started to pack his bag.

“Baby, this contest is coming up soon. Tell them you’re staying with me this weekend so we can start putting the finishing touches on it.”

“Okay, I will. I’ll call you later.” Zelo blew a kiss before he stepped out of the recording room and headed home. When he walked into the living room, he noticed Yongguk wasn’t on the couch anymore. He glanced around and walked into the kitchen, but he wasn’t there. Himchan, however, had left him a note.

‘If his fever hits above 102, please call Director Kang to take you to the hospital. <3 Himchan’

Zelo’s brows furrowed and he jogged to the bedroom quickly. Yongguk was covered up to his neck in blankets with an ice pack on his forehead. Zelo knelt beside his bed and lifted the ice pack to see how cool it was. He couldn’t help but smile at the clip in Yongguk’s hair.

“Hey hyung, I’m home now.” Zelo whispered touching Yongguk’s forehead and cheek. He replaced the ice pack and went to find the thermometer. It was still on the end table by the sofa. Zelo checked his temperature in both ears and sighed when it only read ‘100’.

He refreshed the ice pack and decided to start his homework in the kitchen. He put on his headphones to listen to the track Zico had prepared for him while he worked on his calculus. Zelo had gotten stuck on a problem and was doodling on the side of his homework, drawing hearts and Z’s, when he noticed something out of the corner of his eye.

He glanced up and noticed Yongguk was leaning against the doorway and shivering.

“Hyung!” Zelo jumped up, knocking Zico’s mp3 player off of the table. “You should be in bed.”

“I-I-I’m cold, Z-Z-Zelo.” Yongguk’s teeth chattered. Zelo pulled Yongguk’s arm over his shoulder and wrapped an arm around his torso.

“Hyung, you’re burning up. Let’s get you back to bed.” He tried to get Yongguk to walk, but the elder was too cold. He wrapped his other arm around Zelo’s neck and held him tightly trying to find warmth.

“Hyung, come on.” Zelo sighed and paused for a moment before he swept one arm under Yongguk’s knees to lift him up. He moved quickly as to not drop Yongguk before they got into the bedroom. He dropped Yongguk softly onto his bed and scrambled to cover him with all the blankets he could find.

Zelo grabbed the thermometer, but casted it aside when he heard the small sob from the shivering blankets. He grabbed a thick jacket from the closet and peeled back the covers.

“Yonggukkie, come on put on your jacket. We’re going to the hospital.” Zelo pulled him up and helped him put on his jacket. “They’re gonna help you feel much better, hyung.”

Zelo called for a cab and helped Yongguk in, he held him close as the cab made its way through the streets. In the waiting room, he his hair gently as Yongguk hugged him tightly, whimpering ever so often.

“C-Can I tell you something?” Yongguk asked quietly.

“Sure thing, hyung.” Zelo smiled.

“I’m sorry.”

“W-What?”

“I’m sorry for being so mean to you, for ignoring you, for everything. You deserved better.” He sniffled a little.

“Hyung, it’s okay. I know I haven’t been easy to get along with and I’ve ignored you some too. So it’s okay, you’re forgiven.” Zelo laughed lightly and gave Yongguk a little squeeze.

“I was just jealous, not was – still am.” Yongguk continued.

“Jealous of what, hyung?”

“Of Zico.”

“Why? You’re still my favorite hyung.” Zelo sighed.

“Because he gets to hold you and kiss you.”

Zelo froze.

“Hyung, what are you talking about?” He pressed his hand to Yongguk’s burning forehead.

“I’m in love with you.” Yongguk held him tighter.

“H-Hyung, you’re burning up. That’s just your fever talking. They’re going to see you real soon.” Zelo could feel his heart racing.

“No! I am in love with you. I love you Zelo!”

“Bang Yongguk, Bang Yongguk.” The nurse called out.

“Here!” Zelo flagged her over and helped Yongguk up quickly. When Yongguk refused to take another step, Zelo lifted him up and followed her into an examination room.

“We can’t control his fever!” Zelo helped the nurse strip him out of his clothes and into a gown. The nurse checked his temperature and asked Zelo to step back out into the waiting room. He nodded and grabbed Yongguk’s jacket.

He stepped outside for a few minutes to call Himchan quickly, “He was shaking and hot to the touch. I didn’t check his temperature, hyung. Good luck on your recording! Himchan Hwaiting!”

Zelo sighed and stepped back inside to wait. He had dozed off when one of the doctors gently shook his shoulder.

“Choi Junhong?” He asked.

Zelo stood up quickly, “Ne ne!”

“We got his fever to come down, it’s a good thing you brought him in. 104 is a dangerously high temperature to be at. He’s sedated right now and on an IV.”

“Is he going to be okay?” Zelo asked chewing on his bottom lip.

“With rest and lots of care? Definitely. You’re welcome to go in there now. He was very upset when the nurse asked you to leave.” The doctor smiled and gestured toward the room. Zelo returned the smile and walked briskly in.

The room was still except for his heartbeat on the monitor and the quiet steady pace of his breath. Zelo noticed the red alligator clip on the side of the bed and smiled as he gathered Yongguk’s bangs once more.

“Aish, why are you more trouble than you’re worth?” Zelo squeezed his hand. “I take that back, you’re worth everything, hyung. You really are my favorite hyung, you mean the world to me… but I’m with Zico and it’s not fair for him. Please just know that…”

Zelo sighed and kissed Yongguk’s forehead.

“I’m in love with you too, Bang Yongguk.”