Chapter 8

Secret Love

When Yongguk woke up, the room was dimly lit and he had to blink several times before his eyes came into focus. He rubbed his eyes and felt a slight pinch on the back of his left hand. He sighed when he saw the IV attached. Yongguk glanced over to the side and noticed Himchan and Zelo were on the little bed. Himchan was Zelo’s hair as he was stretched out and asleep in Himchan’s lap.

“What time is it?” Yongguk asked quietly.

“It’s 2:00 in the morning.” Himchan whispered, glancing up.

“Why are you both still here?” He asked looking around the room.

“Because we both care and worry about you, obviously.” Himchan pulled a small blanket over Zelo and leaned back against the wall. He yawned and smiled sweetly. “How are you feeling?”

“I’m fine. How are you doing?” Yongguk asked with a sad look.

“I’m exhausted, this bed hurts my , and I’ve lost the feeling in my lap about an hour ago – but other than that I’m pretty good.” He laughed lightly.

“Himchan… I’m being serious.” Yongguk sighed.

“Yongguk, don’t worry about me. I’ve been preparing for this day for awhile now.”

“For when I’m in a hospital?” Yongguk asked with an arched brow.

“Yes, that day too. I always knew you were the one who was going to be hospitalized.” Himchan laughed softly. Zelo began to stir, but Himchan cooed softly and rubbed his back until he had settled back down.

“Zico brought us dinner.” Himchan said finally, moving some of Zelo’s hair out of his face. “As well as those flowers for you.”

Yongguk glanced at the night stand and noticed the medium size arrangement of wildflowers. He the soft petals between his thumb and index finger. He leaned back into his pillow and sighed.

“What did he want?”

“He came to make a peace offering. He said he was tired of fighting you over Zelo and tired of keeping Zelo stuck in the middle of the two of you.” Himchan sighed softly, “Yongguk, I’m afraid he’s in love with Zelo too.”

“So he brings you dinner and flowers for me and I’m just supposed to let Zelo go?” Yongguk asked looking back at the flowers.

“You should see the way he looks at Zelo… well maybe not. You’d probably kill him.” Himchan paused for a bit to watch Yongguk study Zelo. “Anyways, Zelo told me…this is after Zico left… he told me that you said you loved him, while the two of you were in the waiting room.”

“Himchan, we don’t have to talk about this right now. I don’t feel right talking about my love life with someone who’s in love with me.” Yongguk said turning away.

“Yongguk, you’re still my best friend. Don’t take that away from me too. Besides, I am always going to love you. Who knows? Maybe one day, you’ll look at me and feel the same way – and if that day never comes I’m still going to be here for you.” Himchan smiled weakly.

“What did Zelo say about it?”

“Well he’s confused to say the least. He does think that it was just your fever talking and that maybe you were just delirious.”

“What did you say?” Yongguk asked almost dreading that Zelo went to Himchan for advice.

“I told him sometimes drunken words are sober thoughts. I also told him to sit down and talk with you when you get better. There’s a lot you two need to work out before you can even think about being in a relationship.”

Yongguk tried to hide his smile, but it couldn’t be helped, “And what did he say to that?”

“He said that he would try to talk to you, but as far as leaving Zico – he’s not sure. He does have feelings for him too.” Himchan sighed. “I’m sorry Yongguk, please hang in there.”

Yongguk nodded and sunk back into his pillow. He stared into the darkness before he glanced back at Himchan who had lifted Zelo’s head and placed a hoodie underneath.

“Hey Himchan…”

“Hmmm?” He looked up with a smile.

“Would you like to go on a date with me?” Yongguk asked with a small smile.

“Don’t be a jerk, Bang Yongguk.” Himchan narrowed his eyes.

“But would you like to go. On. A. Date. With. Me?” Yongguk repeated slowly.

“I mean yes! I would… I would love to.” Himchan blushed slightly. “B-B-But I don’t want to get my hopes up for something that’s not going to happen.”

“Well let’s go on a date.” Yongguk flashed his brightest smile. Himchan’s heart raced quickly and he hoped his smile didn’t reflect it.

“Are you being serious?” Himchan asked leaning forward a bit.

“Yeah, I’m being serious. Let’s go on a date – I’ll treat you to dinner and a movie, or whatever you want. I’ll treat you to your dream date.” He sighed.

Himchan covered his smile with the back of his hand and tried to savor the moment of being asked out by Yongguk when the pang struck him in the middle of his chest.

“You’re not using me right, Yongguk?” He asked clearing his throat. “You’re not trying to make Zelo jealous by going out with me right?”

“Himchan… I don’t want to use you. I just feel bad that you have these feelings for me and I figured maybe if you went on a date with me, you’d see how much better you could do.”

“Yongguk, that’s not fair because I’m already in love with you.” Himchan looked down. “I don’t think that’s such a good idea. Zelo likes you too, I know he does. So just hang in there and you never know…”

“So I should just wait around like you… right, just wait for something to happen.” Yongguk’s smile fell and he sank back into his pillow. “Himchan, I don’t get you. You’re so close to having what you want – but you won’t fight for it. Why?”

Himchan bit his lip and felt his throat tighten.

“Y-Yongguk, I love you so much, I just want to see you happy. It kills me to see you so miserable and upset.” He swallowed the lump in his throat. “E-Even if you’ll never be mine, I want you to be happy.”

He smiled even though his tears were starting to fall, “Besides, I think I deserve someone who loves me too and you have someone who loves you back. Someday I’ll find that person, but until then I’ll wait.”

Yongguk winced at the sound of Himchan’s light sobs. He pushed down on the bar of his bed and climbed over to sit next to Himchan. He wrapped an arm around him and held him close while he cried once more.

“Don’t ever cry over me again, Himchan.” Yongguk kissed his forehead. “See here’s proof I’m bad for you. I make you cry.” He wiped the tears away and sighed.

“I’m an even worse friend cause I don’t know how to comfort you.”

Himchan laughed softly and sniffled. Yongguk smiled and rubbed his arm.

“See, I’m no good.” Yongguk lifted his chin and kissed him sweetly on the cheek. “No more crying. We’re best friends; we’re always going to be here for each other. I love you too, Himchannie – just not in the way you were hoping… but it’s still love I feel for you.”

“That’s all I need.” Himchan sighed and leaned against Yongguk. “You should go back to bed and get some rest.”

Yongguk smiled and leaned back against the wall, “I’m good – get some sleep, I know you haven’t slept at all tonight.”

“I have too! Get back to bed. We’re here because of you in the first place.”

Yongguk sighed and stood up from his spot. He leaned down and kissed Himchan’s forehead before he crouched besides Zelo’s sleeping form and placed a tender kiss on the corner of Zelo’s mouth.

The next morning Zelo woke up by himself in the little bed. He vaguely remembered Himchan getting up and tucking him back into bed. He whined and tried to keep Himchan from going to work, but his tired hyung rubbed his belly till he fell back asleep. It was how he had coaxed the younger one to sleep since Yongguk had fallen ill.

“He does love you, you know.” Himchan whispered and kissed Zelo’s cheek. “Please be patient for he is an idiot.”

Now Zelo was laying in the bed, trying to figure out what he was going to do since he was alone with Yongguk. A nurse came in and broke the silence. She checked Yongguk’s fever, his blood pressure, and then disappeared for a few minutes. She came back with two trays of food.

“Here honey – I’m not supposed to provide meals for visitors but you look like you could use a warm meal.” She smiled as Zelo sat up and his curls tumbled over his face. He yawned and stretched a bit.

“Is he okay?” He asked quietly nodding toward Yongguk who was sipping his orange juice.

“He sure is. The doctor might release him this afternoon if his fever doesn’t come back.”

Zelo nodded and scraped the egg onto his toast. He ate his small egg sandwich and washed it down with the orange juice she had provided.

“How are you feeling, hyung?” Zelo asked Yongguk with a concerned smile.

“I’m feeling much better, Zelo. The nurse said my fever is practically gone now.” He smiled brightly, happy to see that the maknae was still there. “Did Himchan go to work?”

“Ne ne, he left really early this morning. I don’t think he slept very well last night.” Zelo sighed, “I fell asleep in his lap and took up all of the bed.”

“He’ll get some rest tonight if I go home today.” Yongguk smiled and stretched a bit. He inspected the back of his hand when Zelo finally cleared his throat.

“Yongguk… hyung, can we talk?” Zelo set his tray aside on the night stand. Yongguk nodded and shifted to the side before he patted the mattress. Zelo sat on the edge of the bed and stared at his hands for a bit.

“Hyung, do you remember anything from yesterday?” Zelo asked.

“I remember being really cold and being in the waiting room until the nurse came for us.” Yongguk smiled, “I remember when the nurse said you had to leave. I didn’t want you to; I didn’t want to be left alone. Then she put the needle in my hand and I out.”

“Do you remember the conversation we had in the waiting room?” Zelo asked. “Do you remember what you told me?”

Yongguk’s smile never wavered; in fact he had to bite his bottom lip to keep his smile in check. He let out a low sigh like he was about to confess to a crime.

“Ne~” He looked pleased to admit his guilt. “I remember. I told you I loved you. Ani, not past tense – I love you.”

Zelo smiled softly and felt the blush creep across his cheeks. Yongguk reached forward and took Zelo’s hand into his own.

“I’m sorry I’ve been ignoring you. I just didn’t know how to deal with you dating Zico and Himchan telling me to be a leader and just let you be.” He ran his thumb over Zelo’s hand and imagined getting to hold to his hand from now on.

“Yongguk, you don’t know how long I’ve been waiting to hear you say that.” He smiled sadly and sat up from the bed. He walked closer to Yongguk and wrapped his arms around Yongguk’s neck, hugging him tightly.

“I love you too, hyung.” He whispered before he pulled away and pressed his lips against Yongguk’s. The kiss felt comfortable and almost second nature compared to Zico’s kisses. Yongguk ran his fingers through Zelo’s hair and pulled him closer to deepen their kiss. Zelo trailed his hand over Yongguk’s and grasped it in his own. He pulled away and placed a tender kiss on Yongguk’s forehead.

“Can you do me a favor, hyung?” Zelo asked squeezing Yongguk’s hand.

“Anything.” Yongguk said almost breathlessly.

“Will you please separate the fact that I love you from the fact that I can’t be with you?”

Yongguk didn’t want to look up for fear that Zelo would see his swollen heart collapsing. He stared at Zelo’s hand over his own hand instead and tried to memorize the way it felt. He gave it a good squeeze to imprint the warmth into his own.

“B-But you said that you loved me.” He said quietly, noticing Zelo was pulling his hand away. Yongguk tried to hang on longer, praying that time would freeze now and forever. When Zelo finally pulled away, Yongguk clenched his fist and looked away from Zelo.

“I do love you, I love you very much – but I have someone in my life right now who makes me very happy and who loves me too.” Zelo dabbed at the corners in his eyes, for the first time Yongguk looked small and weak.

“N-Next time please lie to me, tell me you hate me – I can recover from that.” Yongguk settled back into his pillow and sighed. “You don’t have to stay here, Zelo, you can go see Zico. I know you haven’t seen him in awhile.”

He swallowed the knot in his throat, “I am really happy that you’re happy.”

“Are you lying to me?” Zelo asked feeling the tears starting to spill over.

“Maybe if I keep reciting them, they’ll become true.” Yongguk sighed and started to flip through the channels. “Please tell Himchannie, I’ll be okay if he wants to go home and rest before he comes back… if he even wants to come back. I’ll be okay alone.”

Zelo nodded and stepped out of the room, his hand over his mouth. He cleared his throat and wiped away any remaining evidence of tears. He called Zico to see if he wanted to meet up for dinner that evening and couldn’t help smiling when Zico whooped into the phone.

Himchan was on set when he phone started to ring, he bowed several times for the interruption but moved quickly into the corner to take the call. He pinched the bridge of nose and sighed when he heard a familiar husky voice, “Yongguk?”

“Yongguk, I’m so sorry. Babe-, Yongguk, please don’t cry you’re going to make yourself sick. It’s going to be okay, things are going to work out. I’ll be there as soon as I’m done recording. I promise, try to get some rest.”

He hung up and sighed, hopefully Yongguk would fall back asleep soon. He turned around quickly and almost bumped into one of the interns who had a cup of coffee in his hands.

“I-I-Is everything alright, hyung?” He asked quietly and offered the cup. “I brought you some coffee.”

“Oh uh, everything’s fine.” He smiled brightly and took the cup. “Thank you so much… uh I’m so sorry, I’ve misplaced your name.”

“O-Oh, it’s J-Jongup, hyung.” He smiled brightly and bowed slightly.

“Jongup, okay I’m going to remember that from now on – Jongup.” Himchan sipped his coffee and felt his shoulders relax some. “Thank you so much, Jongup, I really appreciate it.”

Jongup blushed slightly, he opened his mouth to offer his praise on the great recording, but a coordi-noona had already pulled Himchan away. “Hyung Hwaiting~!” He whispered before he was called away by another producer.

That evening, Zico decided to treat Zelo to a nice dinner. They met at the corner and before they walked in, Zelo wrapped his arms around Zico and pressed hungry kiss to his lips. Zico was caught by surprise but still managed to pull Zelo closer to him.

“I’ve missed you too, Zelo.” He laughed and kissed Zelo’s cheek before he tugged him into the restaurant. The waiter sat them down at a table in the back where they were secluded from the other patrons.

“So are you free finally?” Zico asked as the waiter placed two glasses of water on their table. Zelo took a sip of the water and smiled brightly.

“Ne, so now we can finally focus on our music. Yongguk finally let me go.” Zelo’s smile fell slightly, but it returned when he looked into Zico’s eyes.

“Good, we’ve got a lot of work to take care of too. You’re going to hate me but I’ve been thinking about changing some of the parts around.” Zico laughed.

“Again? I swear I just learned those last few lines the other day.” Zelo pouted slightly. “I’ll bring your iPod by tomorrow – I forgot it on the kitchen table again.”

“Again?” Zico asked with an arched brow.

“Yeah, the first time was when Yongguk’s fever spiked.” Zelo sighed, “I was by myself, doing my homework in the kitchen when I noticed he was standing in the door way. Zico, he looked horrible.”

“In my opinion, he always looks horrible.” Zico smirked.

“Zico,” Zelo whined slightly, “he was shivering and he was so hot. I had to carry him to his bed.”

“Hot huh?” Zico teased once more.

“You know what I mean – so I called us a cab and took him to the hospital myself. He was so out of it, he told me something crazy.”

“Crazy? Like what?” Zico asked with a brow arched. “Did he tell you he loved you?”

“Yeah he did, he told me he was in love with me.” Zelo sighed, “He was really out of it.”

Zico paused for a moment and quickly scanned over Zelo’s face, “So what did you say?”

“What do you mean what did I say?” Zelo asked surprised.

“What did you say when he said he loved you?” Zico asked more forcefully.

“I told him it was just his fever and that someone would help us soon.” Zelo pursed his lips together. “What did you think I said?”

“I don’t know I was just checking.” Zico waved the waiter over.

“Just checking, huh? You know I love you. I want to be with you. Even he wasn’t completely out of it – I would tell him no.” Zelo clenched his fist and stood up quickly.

“In fact, he did tell me he loved me when he woke up this morning. That he wanted to be with me, but you know what Zico? I told him no, I told him I had you and that you make me so happy. I wouldn’t leave you for him.”

He grabbed his coat and started for the door; Zico pushed his chair back and followed Zelo outside. He wrapped his arms around Zelo’s waist and pressed his cheek into Zelo’s shoulder.

“I’m sorry baby, I really am. It’s just you’ve been spending so much time with him, I’m not surprised he’s in love with you.” He let out a low sigh and pressed a soft kiss to Zelo’s shoulder.

“It’s okay, I just want you to trust me.” Zelo exhaled slowly.

“I do trust you, I love you. Now, what do you say we go back inside and enjoy our dinner?” Zico sighed and kissed the base of Zelo’s neck.

Zelo paused and sighed, before he turned around and hugged Zico tightly, “Can we just order something and stay at your place?”

“Sure, baby. Anything you want.”