Sorry ?

Congratulations

It was Jibeom. He was with the same guy he was with at the restaurant a while ago. They were holding hands, but you could see that Jibeom had the same expression as Jaehyun, and the two just stared at each other. Daeyeol and Jangjun didn’t know what they were supposed to do. They were as surprised at the circumstances as the other two.

 

    Jaehyun ignored the food he dropped on the ground and suddenly ran the opposite direction with tears in his eyes. ‘No no no. You will not break down in front of him Jaehyun. You will not break down in public. Get a hold of yourself!’ He ran as fast as he could. He didn’t know where he was headed, but he wanted to get away from that place as fast as he could.

 

    Jibeom was shocked at the situation as well. He was dumbfounded for a moment but got a hold of himself immediately. He told Donghan, the guy he was currently with, that he had to take care of something first and explain to him later. He instantly ran after Jaehyun, internally scolding himself for not taking care of this from the start. ‘You’ve been very selfish Jibeom. How could you do this to a person like Jaehyun???’

 

Jibeom ran in the same direction where Jaehyun was headed. It was fortunate that Jibeom had a healthy and fit body that he easily caught up with Jaehyun, who in contrast had a weak and fragile one. 

 

"Hey Hyun-ah. Stop running." Jibeom shouted at Jaehyun as he went near him. He could see that Jaehyun was starting to slow down. He took this chance to run faster towards him.

 

"Jaehyun… Please stop running away. Let's talk." Jibeom said as he held Jaehyun's left arm to stop him.

 

"Let me go Beom! I don't want to see you!" Jaehyun tried to get away from Jibeom's grip on his arm but he was just too strong.

 

"Hyun… Please let me explain. Let's talk about this please?" Jibeom said. He saw tears on Jaehyun's face as Jaehyun turned around. But Jaehyun tried not to show he was crying and immediately wiped the tears on his face with his free right hand.

 

"What do you want Jibeom?" Jaehyun replied coldly.

 

"Let's go sit over there. We need to breathe awhile first after all that running. You know you can't handle that much running right?" Jibeom smiled at Jaehyun warmly.

 

'Even with all of these things happening, how can you still smile at me like that?' Jaehyun thought as they sat down on the nearby bench.

 

"I --- I don't know where to start Hyun…" Jibeom said playing with his own hands and fingers while looking at the ground.

 

Jaehyun was just quiet, waiting for Jibeom to explain. He let out a heavy sigh as a sign for Jibeom to continue speaking. To be honest, he himself also didn't know how to start this conversation.

 

“I know that we talked about this last month. We both knew we were having our problems. The constant small fights, the less frequent talks, having less time for each other…” Jibeom started to talk while Jaehyun was just passively intaking everything the other was saying, preparing himself for the worst.

 

Jibeom continued, “I know I was the one who said maybe I just needed time and space from you. Maybe after that, all of our problems would be fixed and everything would go back to the way it was. That's why I asked for us to just take a break. I --- " Jibeom ran his hands through his hair and sighed heavily as he continued, "I didn't know it would end up this way Hyun… I--- I really don't want to hurt you ---" 

 

"But you already did…" Jaehyun cut off Jibeom's explanation. Jibeom lifted his head up to look at Jaehyun who just had a blank expression on his face, staring at the space in front of them. He didn't want to hurt Jaehyun, but he couldn't help it.

 

"I'm sorry Hyun… " Jibeom apologized, still looking for any sign of sadness or anger from Jaehyun, reading his face. He looked at those beautiful eyes that were once full of life and brightness, now only filled with hurt and disappointment.

 

"You said you needed time. You needed space. And I gave that to you. But from what I saw a while ago, I could tell that you did more than just move on." Jaehyun let out a bitter laugh. "I can't believe that that's what you've been doing, while I've been so miserable this past month Beom... I mean, Jibeom…"

 

"Hyun ---"

 

"Don't...! Call me that…." Jibeom tried to reason out but got cut off by Jaehyun.

 

There was silence after Jaehyun's sudden outburst towards Jibeom. Jibeom didn't know what to say. He was racking his mind on what were the right words to say in this situation. He didn't want to provoke Jaehyun any further.

 

"Are you finally happy?" Jaehyun finally broke the silence and asked Jibeom, trying to control his emotions to not break down in front of the man that broke his heart.

 

"Do you really want to hear my answer to that Hyun?"

 

"I said…. stop... calling me that." Jaehyun said from his gritted teeth. "Just answer the fxking question Kim Jibeom." 

 

"I --- I am." Jibeom answered hanging his head low. He looked away from Jaehyun. He knows he wouldn't bear to see Jaehyun's reaction whatever it was. It would just shatter his heart. How could he be so heartless to hurt a person who only wanted to love and take care of him?

 

"Well, I'm glad you're happy now." Jaehyun stood up getting ready to leave after their talk.

 

Before completely walking away from Jibeom, Jaehyun turned around and looked at him one last time in the eye. 

 

"And Beom?” Jibeom met his gaze and tilted his head wondering why Jaehyun called him by his name that only Jaehyun called him --- a name he assumed would be the last time he would hear from Jaehyun’s lips. 

 

Jaehyun blinked away the tears forming in his eyes and mustered up the courage to say his final words to Jibeom.

 

“Congratulations."