Space and Time

Congratulations

 

Jaehyun got woken up by the sunlight shining on his face. His roommate, Bae Seungmin, had once again opened the curtains on his window to force him to wake up and get out of bed. He knew that Jaehyun doesn’t get to sleep well with sunlight or the lights on.

 

It was officially a month after Jibeom had asked him for some time and space. And here he was, hoping that as each day passes, the closer the day that Jibeom would go back to him. They had been together for a year now and they’ve been friends longer than that, so Jaehyun had complete trust in Jibeom that they would be together again and that this was just a phase they would go through. 

 

But that doesn’t hide the fact that Jaehyun was still grief-stricken about this. He sighed heavily as he stared at the ceiling, rubbing his eyes so the tears threatening to fall from his eyes won’t come out. 

 

He slowly sat up from his bed, got out of his room and walked towards the bathroom with heavy footsteps. He did the usual, brush his teeth, wash his face, and then he stared at himself in the mirror. ‘What happened to you Bong Jaehyun? You look so thin and tired now. You have to pull yourself together and still take care of yourself!’, he mentally cursed at himself as he gazed at the ghastly visual looking back at him.

 

    He has to at least try to be happy today. Tonight was the last day of the weeklong university fair at their school and he had always gone to those with his friends, Youngtaek, Seungmin, Jangjun and Daeyeol. Well, of course he went with Jibeom before too, along with Jibeom’s own set of friends. But this year, it would just be him and his close friends. He has to at least try to cheer up for them. He wouldn’t want to ruin the fun for all of them.

 

    By the time it reached 5pm, Jaehyun knocked on Seungmin’s door to inform him that he was ready to leave the dorm for the fair. He immediately received a notification on his phone that Seungmin had messaged the friends in their group chat that they were leaving their dorm. They left their dorm with Youngtaek once they were all ready.

 

    Arriving at the restaurant where the friends planned to have dinner before going to the fair, the three instantly saw Jangjun and Daeyeol  waving at them from a table they assumed were reserved for the five of them. 

 

    “Hey guys! What took you so long? Jangjun here has been whining for about 20 minutes how hungry he is.” Daeyeol complained to the three as they sat down at the table.

 

    “Sorry hyung. Youngtaek took a long time choosing what earrings he should wear today.” Seungmin explained, looking at Youngtaek annoyingly.

 

    “Ya! It’s the fair today, okay! I only want to look good ‘cus there’s many people we can meet today. What if we bump into some girls and I look like . We don’t want that to happen right?” Youngtaek explained himself.

 

    The three younger friends sat across their hyungs and they ordered their food.

 

    While they were talking and eating their food, Jaehyun noticed the sudden change of atmosphere at their table. He caught sight of the panicked faces of Daeyeol and Jangjun and got curious at what they were looking at behind him. Before he got the chance to turn around and look at what made their faces look so shocked, Seungmin and Youngtaek got ahead of him, and after looking behind them, the two looked at each other with the same expression as Daeyeol and Jangjun. 

 

    Jaehyun was about to turn around but the four suddenly did all of these things to distract Jaehyun. After much distraction and chaos, Jaehyun had finally had enough.  

 

“I don’t understand why you guys are like that, but I don’t have the energy to deal with you anymore. I’m still not feeling like myself since you-know-what. Anyways, I’m going to the bathroom.” said Jaehyun standing up from his chair.

 

    Seungmin was quick enough to act and stood up from his chair to go with Jaehyun to the washroom. It was a good thing that the direction towards the bathroom was also the same direction as Jaehyun’s view from his chair, so he wouldn’t see what made the four boys so disturbed.

 

    “What are they doing here?” Daeyeol whispered to the two remaining at the table.

 

    “Most importantly, what is Jibeom doing with the guy he’s sitting with? Are they together or something?” replied Jangjun taking a peek again at the group of friends at the nearby table.

 

    “It’s only been a month since he asked Jaehyun for space. I don’t want Jaehyun to see them. He was already sad enough with their cool off. Imagine how he would feel seeing Jibeom with another guy. Aish! Why did their group of friends decide to eat in the same restaurant as us.” Youngtaek said, irritated with the situation.

 

    “We would just have to distract Jaehyun and immediately go out of this restaurant once he and Seungmin get out of the bathroom.” Jangjun explained the plan in detail to the other two and they also texted Seungmin about it.

 

    At the instant Jaehyun and Seungmin got out of the bathroom, their plan was executed. Jangjun and Youngtaek kept distracting Jaehyun while they were getting their things at the table. Seungmin was making sure that Jaehyun wouldn’t look at the direction of Jibeom’s table and Daeyeol was keeping a lookout on the said table. They successfully departed the restaurant and went on their way to the fair.

 

    It was a fun night so far for the five friends. The four were glad that they could see Jaehyun smiling and having fun genuinely since a month ago. They let their guard down as they thought that Jibeom wouldn’t have possibly gone to this fair. It was kind of established that the last day of the fair was Jaehyun’s thing with his friends. Jibeom wouldn’t go to this fair right?

 

    Daeyeol went with Jangjun who wanted to play the carnival games at the fair. Seungmin, Youngtaek, and Jaehyun were sitting down in the field as they waited for the next performer on stage. The three were more interested in the bands performing rather than playing games, and besides, it would just be a waste of money for them.

 

    “I’m kind of hungry. I’m going to buy some food at the stalls. Do you guys want anything?” Jaehyun stood up, shaking the dirt from sitting on the grass off his pants.

 

    “Nah. I think we’re good.” Youngtaek replied.

 

    “Oh wait. Could you grab me a bottle of water? I'm kind of thirsty.” Seungmin asked Jaehyun.

 

    “Alright. I’ll be right back.” Jaehyun stated and walked towards the food stalls.

 

    “One hotdog sandwich and two bottles of water please.” Jaehyun paid the person at the food stall.

 

    “Hyung! Is that Jaehyun at the food stall?” Jangjun nudged Daeyeol and pointed towards Jaehyun’s direction.

 

    “You’re right, it’s him. Hey Jaehyun!!!!” Daeyeol called Jaehyun and the two waved so Jaehyun could spot them easily.

 

    ‘Huh? Is somebody calling me?’ Jaehyun looked around and didn’t see anybody calling him. He turned back his attention to the food stall and got his sandwich in one hand, and the two bottles of water on the other hand.

 

    “Jaehyun!!! Jaehyun!!! Over here!!!” Daeyeol and Jangjun continuously called Jaehyun, until Jaehyun finally saw them. They really weren’t that far from each other, but because of the noise and the crowded place, it was a bit hard to see each other.

 

    “Hey hyungs!” Jaehyun smiled and waved at them. He walked towards the direction of the two older boys, when he suddenly stopped walking and dropped the food and water from his hands.

 

    “W-what…. I --- “ Jaehyun tried to bring out words from his mouth, but couldn’t seem to. His chest started to tighten and he started to breathe heavily as if he was running out of breath. Daeyeol and Jangjun were puzzled and looked at what Jaehyun was focused on that made him speechless.

 

    It was him.