Happier

Congratulations

“Congratulations.”

 

Jaehyun wished Jibeom, bitterly, before walking away. He watched Jaehyun’s back until he was not in his sight anymore.

 

You’ve finally done it Jibeom. He sighed and took his phone out, texting the person that was the cause of all this mess and confusion in his heart.

 

From: Kim Jibeom

To : Kim Donghan

            Hey… I just finished talking to Jaehyun. I’m sorry if it took longer than expected. 

            Where are you? I’ll just go to wherever you are.

 

Jibeom locked his phone and looked up at the sky, trying to admire the scenery illuminated by starlight before him. He and Jaehyun used to always go on these night walks when they just wanted to hang out without using too much energy. They would sit on benches very similar to the ones on the side of the road he's walking on, and just be in each other's company, relishing the silence under the moonlit sky.

 

Jibeom's thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a message notification on his phone.

 

        From: Kim Donghan

            It’s okay, Jibeom. I understand.

I’ll be waiting for you at the entrance of the fair. Let’s go get something to eat before heading home? :)

 

Jibeom replied an ‘okay’ and stood up, dusting off the dirt on his pants, before walking towards the venue of the fair.

 

He was walking calmly, when he heard sounds of whimpering at the side of the road and saw Jaehyun, knees clutched to his chest, with a heavy set of tears streaming down his face.

 

“Y-yo-youngtaek…” Jibeom couldn’t quite understand at first what Jaehyun had said. But knowing him, he was most likely speaking on the phone to the only other person he could trust, Youngtaek. 

 

‘Well, not ‘only other’ anymore, Jibeom. He REALLY is the ONLY person he can trust now. You’ve broken him and his trust.’ Jibeom corrected himself in his mind.

 

Jibeom had this unexplainable urge to sit beside Jaehyun and comfort him, but he stopped himself. 

 

‘What’s wrong with you, Jibeom? You hurt him like that, and now you want to go to his side and comfort him? That’s just a ed up thing to do…’ Jibeom thought to himself as he turned his back and hid himself behind a street light post, worried that Jaehyun might see him if he looks his way.

 

He didn’t know why but he can't seem to move and walk away from where he was standing. It was as if his feet were nailed to the ground. At the back of his mind, he was still very worried about Jaehyun. He didn't want the other to be alone.

 

Jibeom turned to look at Jaehyun again, and saw that the other had his head down, his shoulders shaking. 

 

Jaehyun lifted his head up to remove the tears on his face. Jibeom noticed that Jaehyun had wiped his eyes so much they were all red and swollen. 

 

Seeing Jaehyun like that made his heart hurt, contrary to what he expected. 

 

He had ended things with Jaehyun because he was happier now. He can’t remember the last time he did feel this happy… and... he was sure that he didn’t feel this kind of thing with Jaehyun… at least he thought he didn’t...

 

Was it really the correct thing to do? Was it the right decision to end things with Jaehyun? If he really was happier, why was he feeling like this? What was this aching feeling in his heart?

 

Before he could think or do anything in relation to Jaehyun, Youngtaek and Jaehyun's other friends showed up and went to Jaehyun to comfort him. They sat beside him and gave their support and sympathy to their friend.

 

Jibeom felt a little bit better, knowing that Jaehyun wasn't alone anymore, and was with his friends now. He let out a breath he didn't know he was holding and took one last look at Jaehyun, before walking back to the fair to meet with Donghan.

 

"Hey!" Donghan greeted, giving him a bright smile. 

 

Yeah, this is how it should be now. I should be happy with Donghan, and forget about Jaehyun…

 

Jibeom smiled back at Donghan and took the other’s hand.

 

"Where do you want to eat?" Jibeom started to walk away from the noisy area and gave out  his famous eye smile, the same eye smile that made Donghan fall for him.

 

"We could just grab a bite somewhere near our dorms so we could save time. It's also getting a bit late. You still have to go visit your parents tomorrow morning." Donghan said, following Jibeom.

 

"Oh yeah… I almost forgot I have to visit them tomorrow…" Jibeom replied absentmindedly.

 

Donghan observed that despite Jibeom being all smiley and giddy next to him, he knew that Jibeom’s mind was somewhere else. He couldn’t deny it himself -- that Jibeom was still probably distracted from his talk with Jaehyun earlier.

 

He was unsure whether it would be a good idea to ask Jibeom about his conversation with Jaehyun earlier. But his feelings betrayed him and let it get the best of him.

 

"So…" Donghan started nervously.

 

"Hrmm?" Jibeom turned to look at him with questioning eyes.

 

"N-nothing…" Donghan looked down, suddenly becoming conscious, and realizing that it really was a bad idea to bring up that topic.

 

"Hey… what is it?" Jibeom stopped walking. He held both of Donghan’s hands in his, and looked him straight in the eyes.

 

Donghan looked away from Jibeom's stare, thinking of some excuse he could say to cover up what he really wanted to ask Jibeom.

 

But Jibeom just squeezed his hands in a reassuring way.

 

"Were you curious about my chat with Jaehyun a while ago?" Donghan looked up and met Jibeom's gaze. He didn't know what to reply to Jibeom's question, so he stayed silent -- which Jibeom then took as a yes.

 

"You don't have to be shy or conscious about it. I can tell you everything. You don't have to worry." Jibeom chuckled at him, pinching his cheeks. Donghyun just pouted at the other boy's actions.

 

Jibeom continued to walk, dragging Donghan along the way and told him what happened. 

 

YES. Donghan was fully aware of the whole Jibeom - Jaehyun relationship. 

 

Why did he get together with Jibeom even with that history? At first, Donghan genuinely didn't want to involve himself with the said guy. But what happened was out of his control. 

 

It was something the both of them didn't expect, but they knew that they were both happy. So despite Jibeom's past, they decided to just go with it.

 

"-- so... that's what happened. You don't have to worry anymore. I finished it cleanly." Jibeom gave Donghan a small smile as he finished explaining, just in time for their arrival at the restaurant.

 

They spent their time happily at the restaurant, eating and laughing heartily, just talking about random things.

 

Once they were done, they went outside of the restaurant and bid their goodbyes.

 

"I'll see you at school on Monday?" Donghan asked Jibeom.

 

"See you on Monday." Jibeom replied.

 

'This is what it should feel like… You really are happier now.' Jibeom thought to himself, smiling at the boy in front of him.

 

"Well then, I'll head home now. Bye Jibeom!" Donghan waved goodbye and turned around to walk home. Jibeom, on the other hand, headed the opposite direction towards his dorm.

 

As he was walking peacefully, he suddenly heard someone shout around the corner of his street.

 

"Kim Jibeom, you piece of sh*t!!!" 

 

'Kim Jibeom? Me???' He tilted his head in confusion.

 

'Wait that voice sounds familiar….'

 

Jibeom was hit by this wave of realization.

 

'OH…. IT'S JAEHYUN…'

 

'He's probably drunk. He tends to get really loud when he's drunk…' Jibeom thought as he carefully turned to the corner of his street. 

 

He was cautious as he walked on his street because he lived in the same street as Jaehyun. And his suspicions were confirmed once he saw the three friends walking in front of him. Jqehyun's arms were around both of his friends' shoulders since he couldn't walk properly by himself.

 

Jibeom shook his head and laughed quietly at Jaehyun.

 

'Jaehyun-ah, why did you drink so much when you know you can't handle too much alcohol?'

 

"Congratulations, glad you're doing great, woah~~ Congratulations, how are you okay WOOAAAHHHH" Jaehyun loudly sang DAY6's 'Congratulations' while walking back to their dorm.

 

"How could you be so fine~ I can see it in your eyes~ The same look that you gave me, that kills me inside, ooohh~" Jaehyun continued singing, losing his balance as he walked. 

 

Jibeom couldn't help but smile at Jaehyun's amusing behavior. But he got a grip on himself and scolded himself internally.

 

'Hey Kim Jibeom. What are you doing? Stop thinking about Jaehyun now. You guys are done. Get a grip!' He lightly slapped himself.

 

"I don't even need to ask, yeah~ I know you too damn well, yeah~ I can see that smile and can tell that you did more than move on~" He heard Youngtaek sing along with Jaehyun.

 

"I hate that you're happy~ I hope that you can't sleep~ Just knowing that I could be with somebody new~ That I'd be just like you~~~" Youngtaek and Jaehyun continued to sing while Jibeom walked silently behind the three friends, maintaining a distance so they wouldn't notice him. 

 

He was contemplating on what he was feeling right now. He decided to finish things with Jaehyun. He was absolutely sure about his decision… until a while ago… 

 

What am I really feeling???

 

I am smiling with Donghan, right?

 

I enjoy my time with him… 

 

I feel like I've also moved on from Jaehyun…

 

I'm doing great, aren't I????

 

I am happier now . . . 

 

 

 

aren’t I . . . ?