track 05

play & replay series: playlist one
track 05.
20 Years of Age - Still Think of You
 
 

Even if the two of us turned 70 years old,

we would hold hands and gaze in each other’s eyes

and, on a road bathed in the low sunset,

we would walk along, that’s what I said

 
 

Hyungu planned not to go.

When he received a message about a reunion with Yena and their mutual friends, he was looking for an excuse to decline the invitation. He wasn’t ready to face her yet. And he was uncomfortable meeting her for the first time with familiar people around them.

When Yeorum asked him a favor of ordering her wedding cake, he was really thankful. He used that as an excuse. He decided to visit the bakery a few hours before the said event, so that he could assure himself that his excuse was valid.

That’s why when he saw Yena, he was dumbfounded. He then realized how weird Yeorum’s request was. He should’ve known that she was planning something. 

However, seeing Yena in her apron, managing her own bakery... he felt warm inside. She chased a different dream. And she seemed happy with it.

“Oh, they’re messaging me about the reunion!” Yena looked up from her phone that kept buzzing with notifications. “Should we... go together?”

He didn’t know what to say. “Should we?”

The two of them awkwardly looked at each other. After a moment, she cleared . “I have to  go home first...”

“I’ll drive you home and fetch you later then?” 

“I just live nearby...”

“I’ll walk you home then.”

Yena got back to work after that. He, on the other hand, stayed there and watched her while eating a free cake. At first, she seemed distracted by his presence but later on, she became focused on her work. She arranged pastries, cleaned counters, took orders and pack them. She even asked some regular customers for their feedbacks. 

Hyungu felt proud of her. She matured and grew so much. She was beautiful back then but she looked more beautiful today. Her passion for whatever she is doing was overflowing. She did well growing apart from him.

Watching her made his heart heal slowly. He might have done regretful things in the past but he doesn’t regret letting her go. 

He helped in cleaning up and closing the bakery. Yena tried to stop him but he was persistent. They finished up quickly, giving them much time before the reunion.

“I thought you’re now an architect,” he mentioned as they walked along the busy street of Seoul. “I never knew you’re running a bakery.”

She laughed at that. And when she looked at him with a smile, his heart fluttered a bit. “I actually finished a business degree. Baking is kind of a hobby I made into a career.”

Their walk was filled with stories of when they were apart. She told him her university struggles. He told her his funny experiences when he was a rookie architect. Then, as they drift further the streets, they talked about the memories they had when they were together. The things they both laughed at, cried at, got angry about—both the good and the bad memories became part of the heartwarming stories they shared along the way.

Hyungu realized how wrong he was in the past. Yena was never out of reach. She was always there beside him. And like him, she must’ve felt that he was out of reach even though he really wasn’t. 

They could’ve matured together. But he was glad that they both grew apart from each other. Because through that, he realized that loving her was a choice, not a necessity. Having her by his side is a gift, not something earned through hard work. And though they reached for different dreams, they still found their way back to each other.

When they were nearing her home, he couldn’t help but stare at her more carefully. She was beautiful back then. She is still beautiful now. And for sure, she would still be beautiful in the future. 

Is it possible for him to be granted the blessing of being beside the beautiful Yena in the future?

Can he experience more walks beside her under the beautiful night sky? Can he watch sunsets with her? Is it too much to ask for another chance to create memories with her?

“Here we are.”

Yena stopped walking so he did too. She turned to face him and bowed slightly. “Thank you for walking me home. See you later?”

He smiled. “See you later...”

She was ready to enter the building when he called out again. “Yena.”

Immediately, she looked at him. “Yes?”

He scratched the back of his head. He himself did not know why she called him. Well, he actually did know but he wasn’t sure how to ask. “Can I...”

She tilted her head, curiosity in her eyes. “Can you...?”

“Can I... bring you flowers later?” He asked dumbly.

”Suddenly?!” Surprised, Yena laughed. “Of course! Thank you...”

“How about tomorrow? Can I bring you flowers again tomorrow?” He asked.

At that, she stopped laughing. Her eyes met his. After a few long seconds, she seemed to understand the hidden question beneath that. 

Her eyes twinkled with warmth. “Yes, Hyungu. You can bring me flowers tomorrow, too. And the day after that. And the following days after those days.”

Softly, he smiled at her. “Do you still like lavenders?”

“I do,” she said, smiling back.

 
 
 
AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Aaand this is the end. Thank you for reading! All comments are appreciated :)