track 04

play & replay series: playlist one
track 04.
Bolbbalgan4 - XX
 
 

You probably knew but I find my story in you.

Did you know, spotting you once in a while

makes me want to start a conversation.

 
 

Yena was nervously tapping her fingers on the counter.

When she came back to Korea, she was bombarded with work. Her parents wanted her to start small so they allowed her to take up a small space from their commercial building near her home. She became busy with furnishing the space to build a small cake shop, taste-testing her recipes, marketing her business and getting legal documents.

Once she opened that small shop, she became less busy. At first, only the tenants were visiting the place. With some more marketing and good feedbacks from those guests, outsiders began paying a visit. She didn’t have many customers but they were growing.

Once she got a hang of her new business, she decided to finally do what she had been putting off. She invited her friends for a small reunion. And through their help, she found a way to invite Hyungu too.

And right now, she’s stressing over what would happen at the reunion later. Would Hyungu come? How would he react seeing her? How would she react seeing him?

Yena sighed and stopped moving her fingers. She turned back to the cupcakes before her and continued arranging them on a tray. She would worry about that after work.

The glass door of her bakery sounded, signaling the entrance of a customer.

“Welcome!” The cashier greeted.

Yena looked up and she almost dropped a cupcake when she saw Hyungu walking toward the counter. He definitely got taller than the last time she saw him. His eyes were deeper and more serious. His face still has that snob look on it. And the way he moves still has that confidence and calmness.

While his eyes were all on the cakes. Yena, on the other hand, could not remove her eyes on him. She wasn’t sure about what to do. Should she approach him? Should she run back to the kitchen? Should she turn her back and pretend to do something else?

In the end, she chose to run back to the kitchen and watch him through the small space of the open door.

Seeing him made Yena’s heart go frantic. She was caught off guard by his appearance. But as she watch him from afar, she slowly realized what she’s currently feeling. She was happy to see him again. Her heart hurt because she didn’t realize until then how much she missed him. She was afraid but at the same time, she wanted to go out and speak to him.

She already moved on a few years ago. And seeing him again did not change that fact. She had many hurts, regrets and difficulties but she knew how much she’ve grown. She knew she became a better person. And he must have been, too.

Their story already had a sad ending a long time ago. She might have moved on but meeting him for the first time in years made her a few steps away from falling in love again.

Could it still be possible to start another story again? Is it too much to ask for a happy ending this time?

“Ma’am?”

Yena jumped in surprise when the cashier spoke in front of her. The girl in uniform was politely smiling at her but she noticed the awkward look she gave.

Yena stood up straight. She muttered a small sorry as she fixed her apron. “Yes… uh… do you need anything?”

“The customer over there wants to talk to you,” she pointed at Hyungu.

“He wants to talk to me?!” Yena exclaimed in surprise.

Her voice caught Hyungu’s attention. She saw how his eyes widened at the sight of her. His face showed the same shock she felt earlier.

The cashier girl scratched the back of her neck, confused as to why she reacted like that. “He said he needed a personalized cake….”

”Okay… uhm… I’ll talk to him.” Yena bit down her lower lip in embarrassment.

Slowly, she walked toward Hyungu. She could not count how many times she imagined their first meeting but she never really expected it to happen like this.

She was conscious of his stare that her cheeks burned hot the whole way. She took a seat across him. She wasn’t sure how to start so she just said an awkward, “Hi.”

After blinking a couple of times, Hyungu laughed softly. “I should’ve known…”

Her heart leaped for joy when he looked like he was really glad to see her. He doesn’t hate her. And it eased the nervousness she felt.

“So uhm…” She cleared . “Where do we start?”

Hyungu chuckled and her cheeks flushed a deep red. She couldn’t gather her thoughts together. “How about we start with the cake?”

“Oh right!” She took out a small notebook and a pen from her apron’s pocket. “For what occasion would the cake be? And I also need some specifics like a preferred design and flavor.”

He took out his phone and tapped on it for a while. Then, he showed her a picture of a two-layered cake. It was covered in white fondant with pastel pink and purple flowers.

Yena blinked in surprise. She looked back at Hyungu and the small spark of hope she had earlier faded instantly. “A-a wedding cake?”

“Yeah,” he smiled apologetically. “I heard you’re just a startup business so I’m not really sure if you accept this kind of project. If this is a bit burdensome for you, I could ask Yeorum—“

“You’re getting married?” She didn’t mean to sound so surprised but she couldn’t help it. “And you’re getting married with Yeorum?”

Understanding suddenly dawned on the guy in front of her. His eyes widened and he quickly shook his head. “No! Yeorum was and still is a friend. She just asked me a favor to order her wedding cake.”

“So you’re not getting married?” she wanted to slap herself for being so shameless.

“No.” He smiled softly at her.

 
 
 
AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Thank you for reading! All comments are appreciated :)