Six

Tulips

After a long day of exploring the different part of Switzerland, the two girls are finally on their way back to the respective hotels.

 

They weren't able to watch the sunset, because the clouds were on the way of the magnificent view. One of the workers from the thrill walk said that the clouds rarely cover the view of the sunset, and they were unlucky because they were not able to witness the beautiful view. Mina was disappointed at first, but Dahyun cheered her up as much as she can. Eventually, Mina's mood became lighter, and she didn't think about the missed sunset for a while.

 

On the train ride back, both of them fell asleep beside each other with Dahyun's head placed on Mina's shoulder and Mina's head on top of Dahyun's this time. They seemed to be so tired, for they were sleeping the whole time and was woken up by the train conductor since they were the only ones remaining inside the train. They were lucky because the need to get off on the last train stop, or else they would wake up some place else.

 

Mina got off the train first, followed by Dahyun. The two girls absorbed the coldness of the evening. It was their first time coming out at night time without their friends on a foreign country. It may sound weird, but the both of them felt secure with the presence of one another. 

 

Dahyun walked by Mina's right side with both of her hands inside her coat's pocket, saving it from freezing from the cold evening.

 

"Do you need me to accompany you on your way back to your hotel?" Dahyun suddenly asked while looking at her feet at she walked. 

 

She heard a soft hum from the taller girl beside her. "No, it's fine" Mina answered. "It's not that far anyways" she added.

 

Dahyun nodded shortly in response, slightly feeling sad that Mina rejected her offer. But who is she kidding? Maybe it will be too much if she walked Mina back to the hotel that she's staying at, they're still practically strangers after all.

 

"I stay at that hotel" Dahyun's thoughts were interrupted when Mina suddenly talked again while pointing on a building a few walks from where they are. Dahyun looked up and looked at the direction where Mina was pointing her index finger. 

 

A smug smirk was painted on her face. "I'll walk you there then" she said, trying hard not to make her smirk obvious. 

 

"But it's dark and you might arrive to your hotel late and—" Mina said continuously, but she paused when she felt that Dahyun stopped walking. She looked behind her, and there she saw Dahyun pouting with her hands crossed. Mina was waiting for Dahyun to say something, but she got nothing. "What?" she asked, still no response.

 

Dahyun looked like a statue—a sulking statue. Like a statue of a child that wanted to buy a toy from a store, but her parents didn't allow her to get anything. It was as if she was going to have a tantrum any moment now. With her small height, she really looked like a child.

 

"Dahyun?" she called out to the 'statue', no response. "What..." it took Mina for a while to finally understand why Dahyun was acting that way.

 

She figured that Dahyun wont move unless she let Dahyun walk her back to the hotel. She might be wrong with that thought, but it's not impossible. 

 

A small smile appeared on Mina's face as she walked closer to the kid that has her arms crossed while pouting. "You really want to walk with me, huh" she said with a smirk, teasing the smaller girl.

 

There was still no response coming from Dahyun, but her eyes flinched due to the small distance between them. Mina stared at her for a while, Dahyun's smile disappeared and a frown replaced it. She really wanted to whine and say something, but she was still holding on to her pride—hoping that Mina would give in.

 

And it worked. Mina sighed and Dahyun's frown was automatically wiped away. "Fine." Mina said in defeat. Dahyun's eyes lit up and she finally showed her goofy smile that Mina was secretly waiting for.

 

~

 

The walk on their way back to Mina's hotel was quiet, yet not awkward. They appreciated the evening noise of Switzerland; the hollow voices of people talking from afar, the sound of footsteps on the stone pavement, the sound of vehicles passing by, and the sound of bells ringing from different shops. They weren't even waiting for someone to talk first.

 

Time flew by quickly because of the comfortable silence; they finally reached the entrance of the hotel that Mina was staying at.

 

Mina frowned when the hotel's bright building illuminated on her face. She felt sad that the day is coming to an end. She never had a great time like this, especially with someone that she just met. She lowkey didn't want the day to end. She just wants to go to other places with Dahyun and know her more.

 

It might sound weird, but Mina felt so comfortable with Dahyun. Their personalities were the complete opposite of each other; Dahyun was the outgoing and energetic type, while Mina was the quiet, reserved, and elegant type— it was a surprise for Mina for she clicked with a stranger this well. She even finds herself having a hard time adjusting to her friend's energy sometimes.

 

What they didn't know was; the both of them felt the same. Dahyun was an introvert deep inside. She is only comfortable to show her jolly and energetic around her close friends, and she also found it weird that Mina brought out that side of hers. She doesn't know what is it, but there's really something about Mina.

 

Their chemistry together felt normal; natural. It felt like everything was meant to be. When they held hands for the first time, it didn't feel wrong for the both of them. It's like they've done it a million times before. It was like the feeling of listening to an old song that you have forgotten its existence, it made you feel nostalgic and it made you feel like you were pulled back in time.

 

But how could that be? They just met this morning and they barely even know each other. It was as if they were together on a parallel universe, or they were together on their past lives.

 

Mina turned to face Dahyun who now has a confused look on her faced due to Mina's sudden action. "Thank you" she said softly. She suddenly felt nervous for she has something that she wants to say and do. "Can I..." Mina said while pulling the hem of her coat's sleeve.

 

What is she going to say? 

 

'Can I get your number?'

'Can I see you again?'

'Can I be with you longer?'

'Can I give you a hug?'

 

All of those questions are inside Mina's mind, and she didn't know what to say. She didn't even know if she should say anything.

 

This time, it was Mina's thoughts to be interrupted.

 

Dahyun suddenly charged herself infront of Mina and wrapped her short arms around her neck for a hug as she tipped her toes to adjust to Mina's height. Mina was shocked with what Dahyun did. But what shocked her the most was the fact that Dahyun seemed to have read her mind.

 

Mina raised both of her hands and wrapped it around Dahyun's waist after a few seconds later after trying to process everything that was currently happening. Dahyun placed her chin on Mina's right shoulder that she was able to reach thanks to her tippy toes. "Thank you" she whispered. Dahyun felt a quick but gentle squeeze from the latter before they finally pull away from the hug.

 

And now, they're both feeling embarrassed with what just happened. 

 

Dahyun faked a cough before placing her right hand on the back of her neck. "You should go" she said. 

 

Mina smiled and smiled before nodding. "You too." she said. Mina started walking towards the hotel while waving good bye to Dahyun, who just stayed on the same exact place—not moving a single inch. Mina thought that Dahyun was probably waiting for her to get inside the hotel itself. "Go" she shouted softly, but loud enough for Dahyun to hear.

 

Dahyun on the other hand, smiled widely before nodding and started to walk towards Mina again. "What..." Mina said in confusion.

 

"You said that I should go, so I did" Dahyun answered, the smug smile was painted on her face again.

 

"What..." Mina said again, and it finally clicked. "Wait, you checked in here too?" she asked, Dahyun nodded fast with a big smile on her face.

 

Mina rolled her eyes before playfully slapping Dahyun's arm. "Yah, you should've said so" she said. She tried to look annoyed, but eventually failed because she automatically smiled.

 

The two are now on the hotel lobby, and this is where they need to really part ways. Dahyun said that her friends texted her, saying that they were waiting for her on the dining place. While Mina just wanted to have a hot bath. 

 

"Speaking of texting" Dahyun said before digging inside her pocket to get her phone. She unlocked it and handed it over to Mina. "Can I get your number?"