One

Tulips

Switzerland. Mina didn't know what came into her mind when she bought a plane ticket to Switzerland alone. She has no itinerary in mind, not even a single clue on what to do on the said place. She didn't even know why she chose this country in the first place.

 

But here she is right now, sipping her tea inside her hotel room on her white bathrobe on with her vacant hand and her eyes glued on her phone as she scrolls through her social media feed. 

 

She suddenly saw her mother's post, and it's her beloved dog—Ray. Her eyes lit up with the sight of her pet. She almost pressed the like button on her mother's post, but then she remembered that they had a heated fight which that happened literally yesterday. And there she finally remembered the reason why she's in a different country alone—to escape from all the stress that she's going through recently.

 

Work has been very stressful nowadays for Mina. She always look forward to going home after a tiring day at work, but she was only welcomed by her parents and their arguments where she gets stuck in between. Her parents were almost settling in for divorce, and she didn't have the right energy to process everything that is happening.

 

She told her parents and her work employees that she'll be away for a few days. "A work thing"; her lame excuse just to separate herself from all the drama for a short while.

 

After a few minutes of spacing out, an idea suddenly popped up on her mind. 

 

Mina tapped the home button on her phone and tapped her phone's browser app, ready to search something. She typed "Places to go in Switzerland" on the search bar and pressed enter, she was delighted to see a lot of results. What does she even expect on a foreign country that has a lot of tourists?

 

She finally set her phone down before standing up to stretch her arms and made a quick bend for her back as well; and then, she's ready for her day at Switzerland.

 

~

 

Her first itinerary was this place that seems to have a bazaar, just like what you will see on almost any country that you visit. There were various souvenirs from the country; from post cards, to keychains, clothes, bags, and even stuffed toys. She looked around and approached this specific stall that sells necklaces and bracelets which captured Mina's attention. She doesn't even like such accessories, but her curiosity got to her. 

 

What she didn't know that there's this smaller girl right beside her, someone from the countrry that she came from.

 

"Excuse me" the girl's voice was heard, but Mina didn't pay a single attention to it. She looked through the necklaces on the table and wondered if she can find something to buy for her friends back in Seoul.

 

"How much is this?" the girl said again, and that is when Mina stole a glance on the smaller girl beside her. She noticed the girl's pronunciation since it seemed like the said girl can't really speak in english.

 

"That's expensive" Mina whispered in korean with a soft tone, guessing that the girl is korean based on her appearance. The girl looked at her in shock when she spoke in korean, secretly thankful that there's someone that can speak her first language. 

 

"Fifteen? Wow, so expensive" the girl said while handing a bill over to the kind man that takes over the stall. Mina let out a small smile since the girl complained that the item was expensive, but still bought it in the end. "Thank you" the girl said with a small smile as well. 

 

Mina walked away from the stall, heading to the other ones. But the smaller girl followed her steps.

 

"Ah, hi?" the girl said from behind, shy and all. "You're korean too?" she asked shyly. 

 

Mina paused for a while, uncertain on what to answer since she's actually japanese. She shook her head as response instead.

 

"It doesn't matter, as long as there's finally someone that I can talk to on this alien country" the girl joked, earning a smile from Mina. "Can I...uhm...come with you?" she asked shyly again, looking down to the item that she just bought a few seconds ago as she anticipated on the taller girl's response.  "I mean, if you're with someone then it's—"

 

"It's fine" Mina cut the girl's words. The smaller girl looked up and smiled widely as her eyes lit up with excitement. Mina didn't say a single word afterwards, she continued walking instead as the girl follow from behind with a respectful distance. 

 

Mina looked on the tables with keychains that has the word "Switzerland" in the middle of the country's map. She took it with her right hand and examined it, the girl watched quietly beside her. 

 

"Ah..." the girl said again, her voice trailing off "Are you having your alone time? I can go if..." 

 

"I said it's fine" Mina cut the girl's words again with a reassuring smile, the smaller girl pouted. "What's wrong?" she asked.

 

"It feels like I'm disturbing you or something" the smaller girl added, tracing the shapes of the keychains on the table "I'm sorry" she added. 

 

"You have nothing to say sorry for" Mina said. What she did next was probably out of her mind and control. She grabbed the stranger's wrist and walked away from the stall. "Let's go" she said. The smaller girl was dumbfounded, but she just went along with it.

 

~

 

The two girls are currently in front of Switzerland's cathedral, just a few blocks away from the small bazaar where they first met. 

 

Mina took her phone out and opened her camera app to take a photo of the said cathedral. There weren't a lot of people around, which fit Mina's liking since it's not very noisy and crowded. 

 

On the other hand, the smaller girl took out her polaroid camera to take a photo of the cathedral as well, a satisfied smile was painted on her face after taking a photo. She looked at the taller girl, who was apparently still a stranger, and watched how she takes a photo of the building. The girl scooted a little closer to the girl and grabbed the girl's hand that was holding her phone. 

 

She turned the phone in landscape and slightly raised the taller girl's arm before tapping on the phone's screen so that the photo will have a better lighting. "This angle is better" she said, Mina looked at her and nodded afterwards before tapping the capture button.

 

Mina retreated her hand and proceeded to look at the photo that she took with the help of a smaller stranger. "Oh, you're right! This turned out so good" she said, earning a smile from the smaller girl.

 

"By the way" the girl suddenly said, scratching tha back of her neck–which wasn't really itchy, while looking away just to avoid eye contact with the taller girl "I'm Dahyun" she said and blushed secretly.

 

"Mina" Mina answered shortly, flashing her beautiful smile to Dahyun.

 

Dahyun thought that it was a very pretty name.