When We Were Young / 1

When Stars Align (Taengsic AU Short Oneshots)

Summary: Set in an alternate universe wherein Girls' Generation didn't get a chance to debut, yet the eight girls never fail to keep in touch with each other for almost a decade while pursuing different careers. Although Jessica avoids Taeyeon for some reason.

____________

Moving on—leaving the past behind after being told by everyone that her dreams were impossible. It may seem like a cowardice move in retrospect, but Taeyeon had just become selfish for once in her life. The company going bankrupt and being dumped by the love of her life – it all seems like the universe refuses to accept her endeavors. All she wanted was to sing and to be in love.

Stepping out of the SM building as it figuratively collapses from its crumbling debt, the nine Girls’ Generation members and the rest of the ’07 SM Rookies realize that they are utterly screwed. They all had to pick one of the three choices they have in mind while in the process of getting booted by SM: (1) To find another talent agency (2) To pursue a different career, or (3) To just give up.

The nine members of the girl group have all chosen to stop being an idol. It was destiny that they were all grouped together and Taeyeon thinks it’s the same thing that made them collectively leave the company behind and start a new chapter in their lives. Unfortunately for the leader, it’s an entirely new book. One without her first love.

All her life, Taeyeon thought that she was only good at one thing: singing. Much to everyone’s surprise, she can be whatever she wants to be, aside from being an idol. No one believed her when she said she’s pursuing medicine, even her members were bewildered. Hyoyeon, Sunny, Sooyoung, and Yuri all looked at their oldest member like she has grown another limb. Tiffany, Seohyun, and Yoona, on the other hand, were very supportive but still in doubt.

“Why are you all looking at me? It’s not like Sooyoung’s innocent either!” The former-SM-trainee-turned-doctor would argue against her friends’ judging stares.

Being naturally talented is one thing, and being an intellectual is another. Girls’ Generation proved that anyone can be both.

Although Taeyeon couldn’t help but be bothered about how their lives would’ve been if their company had held on to the group and committed to it. Funny enough, she relates it to her ex, as one does daily. You sure love hurting yourself, huh? She shakes her head as if responding to a hypothetical question would ease her mind.

A smack on the head with a clipboard certainly wouldn’t help her relax either. “There’s a patient that needs suturing. Quit spacing out!” Massaging the back of her head, Taeyeon bows an apology to the fellow ER doctor and rushes to get a sterile laceration tray.

Another factory worker with a work-related injury. Even outside of Seoul, we get patients like these every day. With a sigh, Taeyeon tended the factory worker’s wound. Satisfied with her work, the ER resident was removing her gloves when she saw Sooyoung from the corner of her eye. She approaches her friend.

“Something wrong?” Sooyoung’s face was unreadable yet Taeyeon was able to understand the heavy atmosphere. With her two cents, she determined another domestic violence case. There were a handful of officers and detectives surrounding the injured man and a child. The kid has multiple stab wounds and, what Taeyeon assumes as the father and assailant, only has a few scratches that were most likely from the victim (or heaven forbid—victims) resisting.

The two friends sadly went for coffee and tried to strike up a conversation fruitlessly. They were still saddened about the entire thing. “So, um…” Sooyoung starts as she scratches the paper cup, looking uneasy.

“Congrats on your transfer.” Taeyeon, still remaining eye contact to the fidgety Sooyoung, blurted rather gloomily as to change the atmosphere. The detective gave a small smile of appreciation. “Thanks. I should’ve known when they said the cases would be tougher here, they also meant this.” gripping the cup, she took a sip of coffee.

“I’m sorry this is how you’re welcomed to Icheon. I wish we could’ve reunited in another way.”

“Yeah right,” Sooyoung scoffed. “As if you’re doing any better. I feel like you’ve ghosted us since you finished med school.”

Taeyeon widened her eyes in shock. “I still go on the GC from time to time!” countered the doctor.

“Only to talk about the rescue dogs near the hospital—yes, we get it, they’re adorable!” The two friends laughed. It felt like a weight was lifted.

Their conversation that lasted for less than 30 minutes was cut off by Sooyoung’s radio. It was one of those moments where Taeyeon had forgotten that they’re not aspiring idols at SM anymore, but one is now a detective and the other is a doctor. It’s really one of those moments that astounds her. “Well, duty calls.” Taeyeon opened to say something but Sooyoung cut her off. “And no, not the bathroom.”

The two bid their farewells with a huge smile plastered on their faces. “Doctor Kim! DOCTOR KIIIIIMMM!”

Oh God.

Jogging over to the shouting neurosurgical resident, Taeyeon’s mood was ruined once again. “In case you’ve forgotten, we’re still in the hospital, Doctor Kim.” Taeyeon nonchalantly dismissed her colleague’s cry for attention.

“Is it cold or is it just the midget next to me?” The neurosurgical resident earned a friendly slap to the shoulder after he made the comment.

“Don’t you have an operation you need to attend to, Heechul?”

“You left your phone in the cafeteria. I didn’t know you were famous.” Heechul handed Taeyeon her phone.

“Huh, what do you mean?” she saw the screen lighting up as it was being flooded with messages from the Soshi group chat. “Oh.”

“Are they your friends?” Heechul was pointing at the picture of the nine girls together that is Taeyeon’s current wallpaper.

“Mhm…” She cleared the notifications to see her friends clearly. A sad smile creeps up on her face when she saw how happy everyone was at that time. “It’s amazing how we’re still together for almost a decade.”

“Wait, the tall one at the back. Isn’t she with the police from a while ago?”

“Yeah, that’s Sooyoung. She just transferred to our area and she’s a detective. Cool, right?” Taeyeon’s face lit up talking about her best friends. Nothing makes her happier than her members, music, dogs, and sweets. She’s a simple woman.

“I didn’t know you’re friends with famous people too?!” marveled Heechul, taking a closer look at the screen.

“Seohyun, Sunny, Yoona, and Yuri. We frequently see them on TV, I’m not surprised how you know them already.”

“How about the blonde one?” queried the resident neurosurgeon, pointing at Hyoyeon.

“This is Hyoyeon. She’s a dance instructor and has recently opened her dance academy in Seoul.” Taeyeon continued, “And the one at the back is Tiffany. She’s currently in America making a name for herself through acting and modelling.”

Taeyeon felt the time slow down as Heechul asked the question that she dreaded the most, “And who’s the middle one?” She stared at the girl her colleague was pointing at for what feels like an eternity, before answering, “My first love.”