11:11

When Stars Align (Taengsic AU Short Oneshots)

Summary: This is what Taeyeon has always dreamed of. A chance to finally meet her idol, Jessica Jung.

_______________

This is what Taeyeon has always dreamed of. A chance to finally meet her idol, Jessica Jung.

What Taeyeon does as a hobby after work may seem like an unhealthy obsession for others: stalking Jessica’s social media accounts, going online whenever her idol is, and sending a DM to the celebrity with a good morning and goodnight.

Taeyeon just loves Jessica Jung a normal amount, is what she would always say.

But Taeyeon is not that creepy in real life. She’s too timid and wouldn’t go to that extent. Taeyeon Kim is just an average white-collar worker in Advertising with a salary that’s enough to pay her bills. Merely seeing Jessica behind her cracked and tiny screen was enough to bring her joy, but Taeyeon would much rather have her wish of meeting the idol in real life come true.

It felt like a dream. Taeyeon was surprisingly calm when she met Jessica. So calm it’s almost as if they’ve already met.

Meeting the idol was solely for an event created by Jessica’s company. It’s more of a marketing strategy for her new album than anything. As a huge fangirl, Taeyeon will take her chances.

Taeyeon’s day goes on like any other: get scolded by her boss for sleeping during work hours, jot down meeting minutes, drink instant coffee, kick the photocopy machine with her worn-out heels, play a quick game of minesweeper on her computer, drink instant coffee again, and go home early to watch compilation videos of Jessica. This routine was in shambles after Taeyeon got home and was about to take a shower, when she checked her phone and opened an email with the subject labelled, Let’s Meet Jessica EVENT Winner. Taeyeon sighed, already knowing her luck until she read the email.

Dear Ms Taeyeon Kim,

Congratulations! You’ve been selected to spend a day with Jessica! Thank you for participating in the event. Please let us know your contact details by replying to this email. Have a nice day!

The fangirl started sobbing, literally. She couldn’t believe it. She pinched her forearm and cheeks. Thankfully, it wasn’t a dream. Taeyeon’s one and only idol - she’s meeting her in real life and gets a chance to spend a day with her! Just how lucky can one person get? She finally got a nice sleep after so long, albeit still shaking from excitement but it eventually tired her out and fell asleep.

Today’s the weekend and the lucky fan was supposed to meet Jessica at her company building. Being an early bird, Taeyeon woke up at the break of dawn with a grin etched on her face. She fixed herself a special breakfast (it’s always toast and jam but she made scrambled eggs, pancakes, and a brewed coffee for a change) because she was in a good mood. She was humming the entire morning, eager to meet her idol. After taking a shower with Jessica’s new album playing on the speaker, Taeyeon was ready to go.

She hopped in her secondhand Fiat and the engine and the radio. Jessica’s new title track played by coincidence - or in this case, luck, again. Taeyeon couldn’t be in a happier mood than this. Inside the building of Jessica’s company, the fangirl gaped in awe. It’s significantly bigger than the company Taeyeon works for. She just stood there examining the interior, becoming smaller by the second. She realized she’s still a nobody compared to the people working in this building. Taeyeon audibly sighed and walked sluggishly to the reception area, refusing to accept her insignificance.

The receptionist told her to wait in the meeting room where Jessica’s manager’s office is. Taeyeon’s face perked up by the mention of her idol’s name. The assigned employee gave her a quick tour as they made their way to the meeting room. The employee pushed open the glass door for her and told her to take a seat in one of the desk chairs. Once she sat down, the tour ended and the waiting game began. Was I too early? Taeyeon pondered while fidgeting her fingers. Another employee entered and offered her water. When will I meet her? She took a sip of water for every question.

Her glass was half empty by the time Jessica’s manager arrived. Taeyeon already recognized her from the pictures. The manager was seen in one of Jessica’s Instagram live streams. “Hi, you’re here early Ms Taeyeon.” The manager offered her the warmest smile. Taeyeon smiled back, “Yeah, I couldn’t sleep.” A lie.

“I get it.” The manager slid a paper and a pen. A contract to make sure she won’t do any harm to the artist. “How much of a fan are you? You’re the fastest to answer the questions in the event correctly.”

The fangirl awkwardly chuckled. “I’m just an average fan.” Another lie. “I’ve been an office worker for almost a decade, I guess I just typed the fastest.” Not much of a lie but why does an ‘average fan’ know so much trivial things about the idol? She took a sip of water like it’ll wash down her ‘sins.’

“Congrats again for winning our event. We just need you to sign this,” The manager tapped the paper with her fingernail. “It’s just to make sure you guys will be safe.” Lies. If something will go wrong, I’ll take responsibility. Taeyeon just smiled and acted dumb, as if she knows nothing about how ty Jessica’s company really is. She signed the paper with ease. All she wants was to meet her idol, not to expose the company.

Thirty minutes after signing papers and the manager exiting the room, Taeyeon was getting sleepy. Waiting is tiring. It really wasn’t worth waking up before daylight when the meeting with Jessica starts at noon.

“Huh? She’s here already? Okay.”

Taeyeon’s eyes were closed yet she recognizes the voice instantly. “Hi!” The squeaky voice is so familiar. She knows it all too well. Her eyes snapped open and she was starstruck. “You must be Taeyeon, right?” Taeyeon gulped, felt dry. Her glass was empty now.

“Y-yes,” Taeyeon stammered, unable to meet her idol’s sparkling eyes. “It’s nice to meet you. I look forward to spending the day with you!” Jessica offered her hand, Taeyeon took it rather quickly and they shook hands. The woman whose beauty was from another planet (as Taeyeon likes to say), still kept her genuine smile. “Me too.” The fan answered with a smile.

“So, there’s not much in the itinerary today because you’re in charge!” Jessica chirped. Taeyeon is still in shock. “But first, we need to eat! My company will take care of the expenses; what restaurant do you have in mind?”

“I know a good kalguksu restaurant in Myeongdong,” Taeyeon responded as she remembers passing by the restaurant after work, only to be reminded that the products are out of her price range. “If you don’t like it, I can find a different one.” added the fan comfortably. Like the flowing of water, she was speaking to Jessica naturally.

“I love kalguksu! Good choice.” Jessica complimented the blushing Taeyeon. Not only does she finally get to eat at the expensive restaurant she’s been eyeing for so long, but she’s also on a date and gets compliments from her favorite person in the world. This is too good to be true, she thought.

The lunch with the two went from Taeyeon shyly giving Jessica a piece of mandu to the celebrity telling funny stories that made Taeyeon laugh until her jaw hurts. They’re becoming closer each second. Taeyeon told Jessica that it’s her turn to pick where they go next. The singer wants to take a stroll in Yeouido Park but it’s a bit far from Myeongdong where they currently are. Jessica asked the manager to drive them to the next location while the two friends chitchat in the van.

Once they arrived, the manager handed Taeyeon a polaroid camera. “Oh! I forgot we have to take pictures. The cherry blossoms are perfect as our background, don’t you agree?” chirped Jessica, giving her brightest grin to Taeyeon. She nodded and unknowingly stared at the beautiful woman in front of her. Taeyeon was still busy admiring Jessica’s beauty (with the cherry blossoms enhancing Jessica’s “godly looks”) as the latter just drags her around and takes pictures until they run out of film sheets.

They continued to walk together after tirelessly posing for pictures. “Oh no, it’s almost five.” Jessica sadly mentions as she looked at her Tiffany & Co. wristwatch. “I really enjoyed our time together.”

“Me too.” Taeyeon agreed with a warm smile. She felt something hit her behind the head and it ruined the moment.

Then it hit her again. And again. And again.

“We have a meeting in 45 minutes!”

No. Don’t tell me...

“Just go home if you’re gonna keep sleeping here!” Taeyeon shot up from her desk and saw an angry manager with imaginary steam coming out from both his ears. The manager walked out from her cubicle, muttering something probably unpleasant. Taeyeon didn’t notice the pencil stuck on her face until her coworker, Juhyun, gestured her cheek and laughed at her senior’s silly state. So I might be crazy, she concluded in her mind, already accepting the reality.

Sighing, she took her notepad and pencil that was stuck on her face 45 minutes ago and trailed behind her manager to the meeting room. As she writes down everything, she notices the supervisor of the Marketing team wearing her favorite Tiffany & Co. wristwatch. Tiffany Young, the aforementioned supervisor and Taeyeon’s best friend, smiled at the latter after seeing her eyeing the watch. After the meeting, Taeyeon walked over to the staff break room for coffee. She desperately needs one right now.

“I could go for something stronger.” Sooyoung, the Operations manager tries to break the ice. “Is Mr Lee giving you a hard time again?”

“Yeah, but I’m used to it.”

“Sorry about my uncle. He hates it when people slack off.” Soonkyu interjected as she emerged out of nowhere.

“I thought you’re out for the day?” questioned Sooyoung.

“I know, I’m just bored at home...” Taeyeon’s mind went to a different planet as she continues the day mindlessly conversing with her coworkers, kicking the photocopy machine for the nth time today, playing minesweeper, and drinking coffee again.

The day is finally done. She gets permission to get off work early.

Hopping off the bus, she walks home with her worn-out heels and hands on her coat pockets as the chilly air greets her skin. Taeyeon passes by the kalguksu place and checks her wallet as usual. Perfect. Just enough for a cup ramyeon, triangle kimbap, and banana milk for dinner, then jellies for dessert. Maybe even upgrade the jellies for a roll cake if she feels like it. But she decided not to. She’d rather save up for a secondhand Fiat she saw online.

In her humble abode aka tiny apartment, Taeyeon takes off her heels, turns on the lights, and plops down on the couch. She checks to see if Jessica made any updates on her social media as usual before she goes to take a shower. She gets a new email with the subject labelled List of Models for New Product CF. Taeyeon sighed. I can’t be bothered to deal with work at home, she thought until her eyes landed on a familiar name.

Jessica Jung, Singer/Songwriter/Actress/Model (Coridel Ent.)

This is what Taeyeon has always dreamed of.